JbeJ275
2020-07-05, 02:38 AM
The Village of Citallon
The Kingdom of Tamland
The World of Gaia

18th of Gibran, 1482 PDW
11:32 AM

Samuel Arvandor

It is in many ways another average morning in Citallon, but some relevant information has just emerged, your good friend Torgun has just told you about a few older boys, mostly teenagers who have been slipping from the free lands onto your fathers baronial lands while hunting. He’s heard of the path they take back into he village after doing this, directed you there, and asked you to talk to the boys and make sure they stop lest your father catch the, and punish them as poachers. How do you mean to resolve this?

Mama Masala

Your regular morning routine was interrupted, though not unpleasantly when a young women named Sarah calls by your door. As you can tell she’s about eight months pregnant, a quiet scandal since she only married that half-elven boy five and a half months ago. More pertinently though, she’s complaining of problems beyond the usual aches and cravings and hoping that someone of your experience can help more than the martial sort of cleric this town produces have been able to. What can you do to help her?

Emlin Homewall

Today, as part of the regular favour trading that allows villages to run, you are helping Torgun the younger of the two blacksmiths in town with the shoeing of two draft horses. This is a common arrangement as it was him who taught you what you know of smithing. While he’s working though there does seem to be something up, as he was a little nervous upon seeing you enter and seems a little on edge just having you there. Do you press him or turn the conversation to other things?

Ontor Churchson

This morning has seen you on the outskirts of the village, where you and some of the militia have raised a new watchtower in response to rumours of orc marauders operating north of town, possibly being whipped up by your old foe Urthal. Still this occasion has just had you bless the new structure, and now you’re free to talk to the men of the militia. Largely young men who are more respectful of Heironeous than most. What’s the blessing like and what do you do after?

Evoker
2020-07-05, 10:13 AM
I place my hand upon the structure.

In the name of Heironeous, I bless this tower. I bless it to stand strong, to protect the vulnerable, and to aid the righteous. I bless it to defend this village against any who seek to attack it.

I then use my holy symbol to lightly carve a small, jagged line evocative of a lightning bolt in one of the supports of the tower, before stepping back and turning to the militia.

I commend all of you. If we're lucky, this

I make a sweeping gesture with my hand at the newly constructed watchtower

will never have to be used. But we must be vigilant for those who would harm the innocent, and this tower will be a great advantage if we ever become attacked. Truly, I, and the rest of the village, am thankful for the help you provide to protect this town.
But the work for now is done. Go and relax, have a drink.

Toliudar
2020-07-05, 02:53 PM
Mama Masala

Reaching out, Mama folds Sarah in a big hug, meant both to comfort and to get a bit of a sense of how fast her heart is beating.

"Welcome, welcome! Your timing couldn't be better. First door on the left is our spare room. Strip off everything that goes lower'n your tits. Don't lay down right away less you have to. Walking helps. Does Sennet know you're here?"

Barely waiting for a response, Mama calls out to the grandchildren who had been seconded to help in her kitchen today.

"Malachi! Eunice! You get your lazy butts in here. Malachi, I want you to head over to Osgood's Tannery, find Sennet Fourtwig, and tell him his beautiful bride is here, and he should scoot his butt over presently. And tell him to change first - I don't need that stink in my house. Eunice, fetch the big bucket from downstairs, Mama's shopping bag from by her bed, and the brown sheets and the brown towels from the linen closet. All of the brown ones, hear? Bring it all into the spare room."

She goes into the kitchen to wash her hands.

"Are you still here, Malachi? Move, lad, move!"

Pumping a jug of water, she snags two tin cups and carries them into the guest room.

"Now, Sarah, don't you worry. You're strong and healthy. Every girl comes in here without her ma -"

There is a pause as Mama remembers Sarah's mother, dead these two years from a fall off a hay loft. A strong and fearless woman, even if she had all the brains of a frying pan, and Mama hoped that Sarah had the same in her.

"They always ask me: 'Mama,' they ask. What do I do about the pain. And here is the secret."

Mama pours Sarah a glass of water.

"The birth pain is like the water, and you're the glass. This water's gonna fill you up, fill you so full you ain't going to have room for nothing else. For a while, it's going to be all you have. But then, slowly, you and me, we're going to drink down that water, and we're going to drink it until the glass is empty. An then you'll have a little un."

She put down her glass.

[COLOR="#800080"]"An that's when the hard part starts. Now. Let's have a look."

Thundercracker
2020-07-06, 12:04 AM
Samuel Arvandor

Sa takes it upon himself to investigate and see if there is truth to the claim. He changed into a commoner’s outfit and decides to go for a stroll along the aforementioned path, to possibly catch the boys in the middle of the act or perhaps on their way back.

Dimers
2020-07-06, 03:09 AM
Emlin Homewall

Today, as part of the regular favour trading that allows villages to run, you are helping Torgun the younger of the two blacksmiths in town with the shoeing of two draft horses. This is a common arrangement as it was him who taught you what you know of smithing. While he’s working though there does seem to be something up, as he was a little nervous upon seeing you enter and seems a little on edge just having you there. Do you press him or turn the conversation to other things?

Emlin clearly senses his young friend's distress -- and knows it's related to "present company". Not the first time by a long shot, certainly won't be the last. Torgun is basically a good person, but all good people struggle if they constantly try do what's right. Many a time, Emlin has been put in the role of a manifest conscience; people feel guilty around him for not conquering their little devils, regardless of whether has any involvement.

The cause of good isn't served by making people feel awful and want to avoid you. So as the two work, Emlin chats with Torgun about the quality of the draft animals, compliments him on his speed and accuracy, asks after his friend's love interest (a strikingly shy woman, not someone he sees around town often). And then he excuses himself. "Friend o' mine, if we've no other four-handed work today, I ought to go take care of my garden while the light's still in the sky. Thank you for another fine lesson; you're a good man." Emlin himself is living proof that what you're expected to be can influence what you become.

JbeJ275
2020-07-06, 12:13 PM
The Village of Citallon
The Kingdom of Tamland
The World of Gaia

18th of Gibran, 1482 PDW
11:34 AM

Ontor Churchson

As you finish your ceremony you notice the militia looking behind you with far greater awe than any mundane ceremony ought to inspire. Turning to look with them reveals a great silver wall of what looks like cracked crystal and then a sudden blinding flash...

Mama Masala

Sarah initially seems flustered, then eventually builds up to a reply. Mama you ought to know it’s just not that, things have been happening when the babe is shifting, not dangerous but not normal either. This remark is aptly demonstrated when water in one cup begins glowing lilac, and the other chills and starts smelling strongly of cilantro. You know this to be signs the girl is pregnant with a potential sorcerer. Still Sorcerous births while ... exciting... are no more difficult than a usual birth so you begin to settle in, then a sudden blinding flash...

Samuel Arvandor

You see six boys making there way back into the village on paths that clearly lead to the private lands of the Barony. They carry bows, half full quivers and spears. Between them they carry a small number of rabbits and pheasants as well as the corpse of a rare Krenshar heft between two of their shoulders. Before you can step out to begin talking though, just a few feet behind the boys a great wall of what looks like cracked metallic glass is formed as if from the air itself and then a sudden blinding flash...

Emlin Homewall

You can notice a little relief and a lot of gratefulness as Torgun waves you out of the blacksmith. It seemed like he was savy enough to realise what you were doing and thankful for your choice, however as you leave in the distance you see a crinkled translucent wall the colour of steel then a sudden blinding flash...

The Village of Citallon
The ??? of ???
The World of Earth

22nd of September 1650
11:35 AM

All

As the flash subsides you regain your vision, and inside the village things are largely the same except for small things knocked over in the disorder. Outside the village though, the land is different, sudden cliffs exist where the barrier formed with differences of up to six feet in various directions. Your old paths lead no-where, and new paths exist that end promptly at the divide, the shy has gone from dotted with high clouds, to completely clear and a brilliant vibrant blue. After a few moments, new hotter winds begin flowing through town and the smell of a salt breeze permeates the air.

Evoker
2020-07-06, 12:43 PM
I am shocked, but quickly react, falling back on my strengths.

What... Everyone, stay calm. I don't know what happened, but don't panic, and especially don't run off. Stick with me until I figure out what just happened.

Channeling a fraction of divine power, I open my mind to the auras created by magical forces, in an effort to comprehend what just happened (Casting Detect Magic). At the same time, my mind is flickering through my knowledge of magic, trying to establish what just happened (Rolling Spellcraft. EDIT: Result is 24).

Toliudar
2020-07-06, 02:57 PM
Mama Masala

After the flash, Mama shakes her head.

"You all right, love?"

Picking up the oil lamp and setting it back on the table, Mama stands.

"Now, don't you worry. All babies do everything in their power to keep their mamma's attention. This little jinx may just be a bit better at it than most. Looks to me like you're still hours away. Just yell for Eunice if you need anything. Use the pan under the bed as much as you can - helps to clear the way."

After another big hug for Sarah, Mama grabs her shopping bag and bustles out into the kitchen, and then out to the yard.

"Salt air and cliffs? Some da*nfool wizard playing silly bu**ers?

She yells back into the kitchen.

"Eunice, you all right, love?. You and Malachi might need to stay here tonight. Make sure to tell your ma I said it was important. Make Sarah as comfortable as she can, and clean up any messes from that shudder there. I'm going into town to get to the bottom of this."

Hustling out to the barn, Mama was gratified to see that Malachi had done his chores, and Tikka's stall had fresh straw and clean water. Unlatching the gate, Mama quickly saddled and prepped the horse with the same affectionate efficiency as she had examined Sarah. Swinging up into the saddle with only a slightly arthritic grunt, Mama geed the horse forward, and turned it toward the nearest of those new cliffs, and the barriers that they portend.

When Mama gets close enough to the break in territory to see the other side, she'll start by looking at the difference in weather and terrain.
Is the sun in a different place than it 'should' be?
How foreign looking are the difference species of trees, plants and animals?
What happened to plants that were right where the border occurred?
Are bugs passing back and forth between the two sides? Are they the same bugs she's used to?
Is the barrier straight, curved, irregular? Does it go all the way up, or seem to stop at a certain point?

Possibly relevant rolls:
Survival
Know Nature [roll]1d20+7
Spellcraft [roll1]

Toliudar
2020-07-06, 02:58 PM
Mama Masala Knowledge Nature roll (screwed up the coding above): [roll0]

JbeJ275
2020-07-06, 03:28 PM
Ontor

Your command keeps most of the milita here from running, though a couple drop their weapons in alarm and most of them back away.

As for your attempts to detect magic, that yields an interesting result. As soon as you cast it the world beyond the barrier becomes invisible, as you seem to be staring into an endless empty expanse, this view lasts for a few seconds before you start seeing beyond the barrier again, still no magic there but something flowing from your side of the line to the other that allows you to see that land with your magic.

The barrier itself glows brightly, but it’s getting dimmer each second, You can’t recognise a specific spell but see strong energies of Conjuration, Abjuration, Transmutation, Illusion and Divination magic all flowing around where the barrier existed just seconds before.

Mama

As you leave the door you see the barrier quickly begin fading, but can tell that the sides of the barrier are somewhat irregular, crinkled and cracked, the converge at a point far above your head but you can tell little else about them. You haven’t seen any magic like it in all your years.

The Sun seems to be in roughly the right place, the outside plant species are a mixture of familiar and foreign. Some you recognise from the woods, others you don’t but that could well just be from another biome. Plants on the border have either been pushed through solid earth into the village, or smashed to smithereens by some immense force that ceased midway across the plant. Small creatures cross freely, and seem normal all told. A few butterflies from outside have patterns you can’t recognise but nothing that poses to great a shock.

Evoker
2020-07-06, 03:57 PM
That... that can't be right. Alright everyone. I don't see any immediate threats. I'll keep watch here for a while longer. Everyone else, if you would please figure out a set of watches so that we can catch anything coming before it gets here.

I want us to keep up watches for at least the next night, to make sure we aren't attacked. I don't know where we are, but it's not just an illusion, as far as I can tell, and I want to be ready for whatever awaits us here.

Thundercracker
2020-07-07, 01:32 AM
Samuel Arvandor

"Poaching on Father's land, what are these boys thinking? They're going to bring punishment down on their families," Sam thought as he prepared to confront them. Then the flash came and he forgot all about the poachers.

What was that, what's going on?
knowledge the planes: [roll0]
knowledge arcana: [roll1]

Samuel squinted his eyes and blinked a few times, the after image of the cracked glass burned into his retina and slowly fading. He switched his vision over to detect magical signatures. Whatever that was, a lightning bolt perhaps, had struck just a few feet behind the boys.

"Get over here, it might come back!" Sam yelled to them, frantically motioning them over to where he stood. He pondered if he recognized any of the boys.

Dimers
2020-07-07, 05:20 AM
After his vision clears enough to move with safety, Emlin lopes toward what he thinks is the nearest edge of the mad phenomenon. There he seems Samuel trying to herd several young men away from danger. "Samuel! Did you or the boys see that? What happened?"

JbeJ275
2020-07-07, 07:51 AM
Ontor

Yes sir. Replies a shocked but seemingly determined corporal, who leaves you to watch as he wrangles the more panicked men back into line and sets to restoring enough order to establish a watch. The low trees stop you seeing very far beyond the barrier, but ascending the watchtower and trying to spot things from there might help.

(If you climb the watchtower and keep watch for a while longer, please roll a spot check.)

Samuel and Emlin

The boys drop their prizes in alarm as they scatter after the flash and the sudden magic. They come to a stop only once they’re a fair way behind Sam and seem confused and afraid of the sudden magic.

Samuels magical sight also sees the barrier light up a glowing swarm of magic, it’s clearly very powerful magic and likely some sort of teleportation but you couldn’t tell any more than that.

Evoker
2020-07-07, 08:46 AM
I climb the tower, silently Wondering about the strange coincidence that it should be built just when it was needed
[roll0]

Toliudar
2020-07-07, 12:15 PM
Mama Masala

Mama shakes her head as she looks up at the barrier, even as it starts to fade.

"Oh, good. This was all just some big illusion, and now we can get back -"

She looks at the border between the familiar and the new, and is significantly put out by its decision not to vanish and return to normal.

"Bu**er."

The salt air. Perhaps it would be useful to determine whether that's coming from a nearby sea, or a salt flats, or more silly wizarding. Wheeling Tikka about, away from the apparently-permeable barrier, she headed in the direction that the wind was blowing from, looking for a way forward through the new terrain.

Her intent is to check just a little beyond the barrier in the direction the wind is blowing from - a mile at most. If the foliage is too dense, she'll dismount to lead Tikka through - hopefully, woodland stride is of some use in this. She's especially interested to know about any signs of other humanoid habitation or of anything that might be interested in eating people.

JbeJ275
2020-07-07, 03:22 PM
Ontor

From the tower you can see over many of the closer trees, giving you a good line of sight to the north. In the distant north, what seems to be a little over two kilometres away you see the blue ocean, closer than it has any right to be. There is no sign of imminent threats, but you do see a dust cloud in the east that matches either a herd of large creatures or a good number of people travelling on horseback. They do seem to be travelling away from you though.

Mama

The wind is blowing in from the north, and so you start off in that direction. You spy some of the boys from the village crowding around the watchtower on your way north, with that nice boy Ontor at the top of that watchtower they’ve been doing up.

Continuing north, the sound of gulls quickly clues you in that you’re not to far from the sea, and then you spy cliffs that likely mark the coastline, and beyond them a great open sea.

[roll0]

Looking for signs of human habitation you first notice the lack of structures along this coastline and there are none of the fishing boats that would usually fill a bay like this. However over land to the southeast you see smoke that more likely comes from a large settlement than any natural fire, and in the sea to your north you can see a distant ship, flying a red flag with a golden winged lion upon it.

Toliudar
2020-07-07, 05:39 PM
Mama Masala

As she rides past the watch tower, she waves cheerfully at the boys, and up at that nice Ontor boy. She calls up.

"Ho, lads! Looks like someone's been usin' the world as a puzzle, and they put us together wrong. Back in a titch!"

After doing a quick recon"oiter at the sea cliffs, Mama whirls Tikka around and returns to the tower. She pauses to confer with Ontor and the lads of the watch.

"Goofier and goofier. There's a bay north of here - no boats or houses, but a ship in the distance. And a town of some kind over to the right. Isn't that crazy?"

Evoker
2020-07-07, 09:33 PM
That's worrisome. Ma... Mrs. Masala, I respect your skills, but I do feel like you shouldn't have rushed off into unknown territory without anyone to watch your back. This territory seems potentially dangerous. If you feel the desire to explore further, perhaps you should find someone else to travel with you? I would offer to go with you, but I would slow you down a lot without a horse of my own. Perhaps someone else would be willing to travel with you?

Thundercracker
2020-07-07, 11:11 PM
Samuel Arvandor

Sam spared a glance for the teenagers then stepped closer to the edge of where the crack happened.

"Teleportation magic, so does that mean we teleported somewhere?" he thought. The warmer air and sea breeze that drifted over them seemed to indicate so.
"It would have had to have been an extremely powerful spell..." he thought.

He picked up a rock and tossed it through the border. Assuming nothing spectacular happens, he walked right up to the edge of it to see if he could figure if it had a shape he could discern (basically checking if it curved, and in which direction). He wasn't about to cross the border now.

Sam walked back to the boys, checking if he recognized any of them.

"Poaching on the baron's land is the least of our worries now, gather these up, and stay close," he said, pointing to the carcasses.

He led them back to town, to the butcher's. On the way he kept his eye out whether other people were talking about the occurrence.

Toliudar
2020-07-07, 11:30 PM
Mama Masala

Mama looks fondly up at Ontor.

"That's so sweet of you, Ontor! If I hadn't delivered you, I'd be completely compliant. Well, no, I wouldn't. But I will let you know if I'd like some company.

"In the meantime, we have actual problems. Like the fact that the part of the world that isn't us has up and moved on us. I don't suppose that Papa Heironeous has any insight into all this?"

She scans the tree line.

"So...how's the view from up there?"

Evoker
2020-07-08, 09:40 AM
Well. I don't see any immediate threats, but there is a large group of something to the east. Seems to be moving away from us though.

JbeJ275
2020-07-08, 02:19 PM
Samuel

As you head back to the butchers you here a lot of panic and hurried discussion, with theories covering everything from another attempt to invade by demons, to some elaborate prank played by the long dead wizard. Most people who served in the militia or hunted have gathered up what weapons they own, and quite far from the butchers you see a crowd assembled on the common. Your father does not appear to be there to.

Mama & Ontor

Quietly, and still obviously wrong footed by the recent events two members say that they have got a vague watch system in order and have offered to take watch here if you need to help sort this out in some other way.

Evoker
2020-07-08, 02:59 PM
Thank you.

I'll seek out whatever authority I directly answer to.

Toliudar
2020-07-08, 03:50 PM
Mama Masala

"Huh. So we've got a town or something to the east, some sort of group moving away from us, and at least one ship in the bay. Definitely not some deserted island, then. We're gonna have to find a safe way to meet the neighbours."

Mama rides back into the centre of town with Ontor, and heads to the Stumble Inn to share the news and find out what other people have heard and seen.

Thundercracker
2020-07-08, 10:54 PM
Samuel

Sam gave the crowd at the commons a passing glance, but he needed to take care of the kids first. If they showed up at the butcher with obviously poached meat there could be trouble, and if he wasn’t mistake they would need all the food they could get in the coming days.

He leads the way into the butcher shop.

“Good day, we’ll need these cleaned and cured for storage,” he said, “the kills are from my father’s land.”

Evoker
2020-07-09, 12:07 AM
I'm looking around to see if anyone seems to be trying to take control of the crowd, or if it's leaderless.

[roll0] Spot

JbeJ275
2020-07-09, 02:39 AM
Mama and Ontor

A few louder than average people are trying to maintain order, or trying to propose one theory or another as to how you all got here. Most seem to have noticed no other movements, there is are some large hills to your south and you appear to have landed on a road that goes from east to west. One farmer reports seeing a huntsman running for his life in the moments after your transportation, but you know that could be seeing things in the panic. The crowd is mostly fearful for now, but you can detect a rising anger that might latch onto any obvious target presented. The Baron is yet to appear and the council is lacking any order whatsoever.

Both inside the inn and outside its doors on the common people are freshly alarmed by Mama’s news, demanding that someone investigate these riders, the town and the ship. Though no-one seems to be ready to volunteer themselves quite yet.

Samuel

You find the butcher’s shop abandoned as he’s seemingly left in the panic. You could leave the carcasses here with a note and the butcher would likely find someone to read it before doing anything with the carcasses.

Thundercracker
2020-07-09, 04:12 AM
Samuel

"Of all the bloody..." Sam thought.

"Alright, drop these here, you all get on home," Sam said to the boys, "go straight home, your parents will want to know you're safe. Rest assured I will have a word with them about your little transgression today, but perhaps you'll be fortunate, or unfortunate, enough that the day's events overshadow them."

Sam left note for the butcher and returned to the common area to make sure the crowd wasn't panicking.

He dragged a chair or table over and stepped atop it so as to be more visible.

"Everyone, your attention please," Samuel said loudly, "for those of you who don't know me, my name is Samuel Arvandor."
The baron's surname should get everyone's attention, he hoped.

"Yes, there has been some kind of teleportation mishap, no we don't know exactly where we are," he said, "If you have an emergency or if you have services or skills to offer, please see me. Above all, remain calm, and trust in one another. The bonds that bind us will help us overcome any hardship, together."
He continued to speak for a few minutes about a past event where the town had come together against some difficulty.

diplomacy: take 10 for 33 to calm the crowd down and hopefully get any PCs in the area to come together, cutting short if someone has a dire emergency.

Evoker
2020-07-09, 10:41 AM
I approach Samuel.
Sir. I believe I can offer you help in these times, and I eagerly await your command. I have already established a watch, so we should receive warning well in advance if someone were to approach the town, so we aren't about to be sneak attacked.

Thundercracker
2020-07-09, 11:12 AM
I approach Samuel.
Sir. I believe I can offer you help in these times, and I eagerly await your command. I have already established a watch, so we should receive warning well in advance if someone were to approach the town, so we aren't about to be sneak attacked.

Samuel

A look of relief crosses Samuel's face.
"Excellent, good work. Ontor, right? Thank you for your offer. Head into the Inn for now, we'll convene a council inside," Samuel said, "I'll join you in a minute or two."

Dimers
2020-07-09, 11:53 AM
While Samuel works to vocally massage the worst stress out of the crowd, Emlin moves through it, offering reassuring embraces, calming words and an orderly presence. "Yes, we'll get to the bottom of this mystery ... Send your eldest home, Ms. Goric, she can watch the younger ones while you stay here and listen for news ... I'm worried too, Kendrick; it's a natural response to an unnatural happening ... No, I doubt it's related to the old tomes, but rest assured that we'll look at every angle ..." The young man's faint aura of light serves the townsfolk as a visceral reminder of the gods' best intentions. They can put their faith in a higher power in a moment as stunning as this.

JbeJ275
2020-07-09, 12:16 PM
All

It takes around ten minutes of unifying speech and quiet reassurance for the crowd to quiet but eventually it does, still tense but ready to face this as a community. Those with weapons have all sheathed them, though many still fidget with them. You see the crowd’s mass deplete, as one half elf rushing off reminds others of what they need to do and while the inn is still crowded the common is much emptier. Emlin calms the last few just as the Baron arrives.

The Baron rides up, then dismounts and hurries over to Samuel, pulling him close then talking quietly.

Good, you’re alright. I worried, some had seen you heading towards the edge of the village. You should go and sort things out in this council emerging inside. I’ll keep order amongst the rabble out here. Remember, you are an Arvandor, don’t let them forget.

After hearing Samuels reply he’ll likely keep order here, being less of a calming presence than his son but still capably ensuring order is maintained.

Evoker
2020-07-09, 12:31 PM
I enter the inn.

Toliudar
2020-07-09, 02:29 PM
Mama

Mama hitches Tikka up beside the Stumble Inn, and keeps her thoughts to herself as early impressions are shouted back and forth in the commons. She tries to beat the rush to the bar, and orders a pair of beers. She squeezes in at a table to listen further, but is also happy to share what she saw at the seaside with all who will listen.

JbeJ275
2020-07-10, 01:31 AM
Mama

You’re fortunate to arrive while the speech as starting, and so some at the bar move to hear the reassuring words spoken. You get your drinks quickly enough and settle down at a table, quickly becoming the centre of attention as the only one with real news. Chatter about your news and baseless rumours occupy a full ten minutes until people begin to slowly leave the inn.

Ontor

The Inn is still more crowded than it would ever usually be this early in the morning, but is emptying as people are calming down and leaving to get back to work or to bring what news they have home. You can find an empty table to talk around, or ask the innkeeper for a side room if you think this council you’ve been asked to ready requires more privacy.

Thundercracker
2020-07-10, 01:53 AM
Samuel Arvandor

“Yes Father,” Samuel replied. He was glad his father also came with them, he couldn’t imagine how those who were missing loved ones were feeling right now.

He stepped off the table and made his way though to the Inn, joining Ontor in the common room.

“Are there any others?” he asked.

Evoker
2020-07-10, 11:49 AM
I'll approach the innkeeper.
At the request of the Baron's son, I have been asked to convene a meeting. If you could find a side-room we could use for some privacy, that would be much appreciated.
[roll0] Diplomacy.

JbeJ275
2020-07-10, 12:09 PM
The innkeeper, am older male halfling named Finnegan quickly points you to a side door and gets back to exchanging rumours and selling drinks.

Through the door you find a room with a large table and six chairs, apparently arranged for discussion.

Evoker
2020-07-10, 12:16 PM
I'll sit down, and wait for someone else to arrive.

Thundercracker
2020-07-11, 08:20 AM
Samuel

Sam motions to Ontor as he speaks, gesturing for him to join him in the side room.

“Let’s see if anyone else joins,” he said.

Toliudar
2020-07-11, 07:27 PM
Mama

As Ontor and Samuel make their way through the inn, Mama waves to get their attention.

"Hey, boys! If you need volunteers to help exploring the neighbourhood, I admit - I'm pretty curious."

With an invitation, she'll take her beer and join them in the back room.

Evoker
2020-07-11, 07:39 PM
Thank you, Mrs. Masala. I'm glad you are willing to help us, and not go off on your own again.

Thundercracker
2020-07-11, 07:47 PM
Mama

As Ontor and Samuel make their way through the inn, Mama waves to get their attention.

"Hey, boys! If you need volunteers to help exploring the neighbourhood, I admit - I'm pretty curious."

With an invitation, she'll take her beer and join them in the back room.
Samuel Arvandor

“Glad to have you, Mama,” Samuel said, “there’s one more I was sure we could have join us.. I’ll be right back.”

Samuel got up to see if he could find Emlin anywhere and invite him to the Inn with the others.

Dimers
2020-07-12, 10:36 PM
"Samuel! I was hoping I could-- Oh, I see," Emlin says with a small blush as Samuel opens the door for him. "And Mama and Ontor. A meeting of the minds. Ontor, good work holding the line in that first moment. Mama Masala, people say you got a good glimpse at what's out there. Considering the way stories grow in the telling, I'd appreciate hearing the word from you directly -- I admit, I wasn't paying much attention out there by the border, myself."

Toliudar
2020-07-12, 11:40 PM
Mama Masala

Warming to an audience, Mama describes visiting the break point closest to her house, with the abrupt if subtle shift in flora and fauna. She then talks about following the sea breeze out toward the beach.

"So we've got a bay and at least one ship to the north. A village of some sort to the east. Dunno what else.

"So now, I figure we should have a look-see in the other directions. Maybe send folks round to all the houses, let them know what we know. An' then we go an try to have a cup of tea with the neighbours, I guess.

"We got anybody in town who can go through that damfool library, try to make sense of all this. Figure out if we've moved a hundred miles or a million. Whether we're the only ones who moved, or if we're on some kind of quilt of places. And most importantly, how e're going to get home so I can see my Lester's next birthday."

She takes a sip of her beer.

JbeJ275
2020-07-14, 07:37 AM
Mama Masala

Warming to an audience, Mama describes visiting the break point closest to her house, with the abrupt if subtle shift in flora and fauna. She then talks about following the sea breeze out toward the beach.

"So we've got a bay and at least one ship to the north. A village of some sort to the east. Dunno what else.

"So now, I figure we should have a look-see in the other directions. Maybe send folks round to all the houses, let them know what we know. An' then we go an try to have a cup of tea with the neighbours, I guess.

"We got anybody in town who can go through that damfool library, try to make sense of all this. Figure out if we've moved a hundred miles or a million. Whether we're the only ones who moved, or if we're on some kind of quilt of places. And most importantly, how e're going to get home so I can see my Lester's next birthday."

She takes a sip of her beer.

You would know of a young woman called Maria, who tends to the village’s library. But also that the collection was that of a wizard and so while you may find an atlas in amongst the shelves anything more than that would be unlikely.

Thundercracker
2020-07-14, 09:21 AM
Samuel

“We can head to the south first, then circle around west,” Samuel said, “someone should stay in town and compile a counting of who came with the town.”

Samuel left off the other half of his sentence: who was left behind.

“Perhaps my father might wish to do this,” he added.

Evoker
2020-07-14, 11:28 AM
I think it might be prudent to establish who was within the boundary of... whatever brought us here, yes. I would volunteer, but my experience has mostly focused around the militia and those who regularly worship. I don't have a very thorough knowledge of everyone in town, unfortunately.

Toliudar
2020-07-15, 12:51 AM
Mama

Mama snorts.

"You won't have to do much but set Edith Korably to the task, and she'll have scoured the town to tell you who's here, who's there, who wasn't in their house as should have been, and how clean their kitchens were. This is the biggest gossip we've seen for, well, ever. You leave the counting to them.

"Young Ontor had a clever idea, making sure that tower got eyes in it. Maybe His Lordship would like to be doing the same in the other directions. Specially if we find out that we've interrupted the path of a road or something."

She drains her second beer, wipes her mouth on her sleeve, and rises.

"South first, you said? Might want to start west, and swing around to the east, where we can head on to that village or whatever it is."

Dimers
2020-07-15, 11:05 PM
"You won't have to do much but set Edith Korably to the task, and she'll have scoured the town ..."

"South first, you said? Might want to start west, and swing around to the east, where we can head on to that village or whatever it is."

"No need to call Edith to service, Mama Masala, she's already hard at work. Preening with the thanks of those relieved by what they hear, and with unaccustomed compassion for those whose news is not yet good. West to south to east sounds as good as any plan, but we should get moving quickly -- the sooner we go, the more time we have to investigate before natural light fails us." Emlin stands and drains the last from someone's abandoned mug. "I took a moment to gather some useful supplies. They're waiting outside the front door."

Thundercracker
2020-07-15, 11:40 PM
Samuel

“Agreed,” Samuel said, “let’s head out.”

Toliudar
2020-07-16, 01:45 AM
Mama

Mama grins at Emlin, and nods.

"Saddle up."

She scurries outside to climb up onto Tikka.

Evoker
2020-07-16, 09:31 AM
I'll follow where you lead me, Lord Samuel. I put my trust in the millitia to decent the town, and I am confident they won't disappoint me.

JbeJ275
2020-07-16, 12:00 PM
All

You gather up your horses, state your plan and ride off eastwards. You quickly find a coastal track that generally matches your intended direction and follow it. The forest thins out fairly quickly, showing hills to your south that roll down into a coast dominated by cliffs and spotted with small inlets. As you come up on one of these you see your first people in this new area.

Two mounted men are talking hurriedly with an armed man on foot, with several other armed men standing behind the one talking. They are dressed in a common yellow-brown uniform with off white headdresses. All of them are human or possibly half elf. They have not yet noticed you, but if you ride close enough to take in more details or hear what they’re saying without making an effort to be quiet they likely will.

Evoker
2020-07-16, 12:23 PM
Speaking quietly, I'll ask the group: Should we approach? This could be a good opportunity to get more information about where we are.

Thundercracker
2020-07-16, 07:16 PM
Speaking quietly, I'll ask the group: Should we approach? This could be a good opportunity to get more information about where we are.

“Let’s just watch a minute and see what happens,” Samuel said, “we have horses and they’re on foot, so we can approach at any time, but this is our chance to find out what kind of footmen they are before they know we’re here..”

“Besides,” he added, “it would be rude to interrupt their conversation.”

Toliudar
2020-07-16, 08:39 PM
Mama Masala

Staying on horseback, Mama simply nods and watches, trying to better understand the dynamic of the interaction between the horsemen and the armed troop.

[roll0]. She's trying to gauge whether they are working together, negotiating/discussing, or arguing.

Edit: perhaps it would be better if Mama opened her eyes before attempting to observe.

Dimers
2020-07-17, 01:08 AM
Emlin nods. "Patience will serve us best, I expect. But can any of you make out what they're saying from here?" The paladin nudges his horse forward, just ahead of the group, then turns the beast enough that it's clear he's not about to charge. His aura is faintly visible against the landscape. "Take care to seem unthreatening, friends."

Evoker
2020-07-17, 10:24 AM
I'll strain my ears, trying to pick up the conversation without moving closer.

[roll0]

(Wow.)

JbeJ275
2020-07-18, 01:57 AM
All

You slowly sit and wait as the horsemen continue to talk, trying to come to some greater understanding of them before engaging in anyway, the conversation goes on for some time, the man on foot becoming increasingly frustrated and the men on horseback looking increasingly concerned. After about five minutes of discussion, one horseman turns back to ride away, while the other braces himself then starts heading up the path in your direction.

Ontor

You can hear them and make out the words but you do not speak this langague. Just from tone though... they seem suprised and lost for words that fit what they need to describe, else they themselves barely know the language. Something these people can’t explain seems t9 have happened recently.

Evoker
2020-07-18, 09:36 AM
I'll whisper: They weren't speaking common, but judging from their tone they know something about our arrival here.

Thundercracker
2020-07-18, 09:44 AM
Samuel

"That's it then, one of them is coming this way," he said.

He rode forward a few steps then called out to the horseman.

"Hail!" he said, waving to get his attention and making sure he knew it wasn't an ambush.

JbeJ275
2020-07-18, 12:11 PM
The rider panics when he sees you emerge, you're aware that some elements of your magics show on your person but the rider panics more than you might expect. He draws his skittish horse back a few paces, takes a breath then speaks for about thirty seconds. Daroga naka ti solom ...... "more gibberish".... janis te noke si sulton rek noplal. His tone is nervous but he seems to be acting with some level of authority, upon finishing he stares at you expecting a response.

Evoker
2020-07-18, 02:51 PM
Do you speak common?

Does anyone else understand him? I can't understand him in the slightest.

Thundercracker
2020-07-18, 06:04 PM
Do you speak common?

Does anyone else understand him? I can't understand him in the slightest.

Samuel

Samuel looked over his shoulder.
“No, I don’t understand a word,” Samuel said, “does anyone have ‘comprehend languages’ prepared?”

He turned back to the guard.
“Sorry, I don’t understand,” he said, “we’re not from here, we had some kind of accident.”
He pointed to his ear, shrugged and shook his head and faced his palms upwards (as if to say I don’t understand), then pointed back in the direction of the town when he referenced the teleportation accident.

Toliudar
2020-07-18, 11:16 PM
Mama

Hoping that an unarmed middle aged midwife sends a message of friendliness - or at least inoffensiveness - Mama nudges Tikka forward.

She reaches slowly into her shopping bag and pulls out a wrapped waybread. She lifts it to the man on horseback, gesturing to show putting some in her mouth, some to him. Perhaps, in the universal language of broken bread, they could head off any misunderstandings until magics could be brought into play.

JbeJ275
2020-07-19, 11:10 AM
Upon your movements he calms slightly but still seems very wary, he accepts a small piece of way bread then repeats his message in what seems to be two other languages increasingly slowly and falteringly. You still don't understand either one though. If you let him finish his attempts eventually he gives up, and beckons for you to follow him then returns to the village garrison.

Dimers
2020-07-19, 09:13 PM
Emlin looks at his companions. "He seems willing to keep a peace, and perhaps someone who knows Common or another familiar language will be wherever he's leading us. I think we should go with the man and see what may be seen."

Turning his horse up the pathway, he adds, "I don't even have a clue what that language might have been. It sounded naught like Elven, Orcish, Draconic, Sylvan ... very strange."

Evoker
2020-07-19, 09:45 PM
I agree that we should follow him, he isn't acting like he's leading us into an ambush, and I can't believe that wherever he's leading us would have no-one who can speak common. We should keep an eye out though. He seems prepared for battle, there's likely monsters in the area and we don't want to be caught off guard.

Thundercracker
2020-07-19, 10:08 PM
Samuel

“Agreed, let’s go,” Samuel said, making to follow the horseman, “do any of you have the ability to prepare comprehend languages for tomorrow?”

Evoker
2020-07-20, 10:12 AM
Yes, I can ask Heironeous for that blessing. Unfortunately, it won't allow us to respond to them, unless they also have someone to cast Comprehend Languages, but I will be able to understand their speech.

Thundercracker
2020-07-20, 10:17 AM
Yes, I can ask Heironeous for that blessing. Unfortunately, it won't allow us to respond to them, unless they also have someone to cast Comprehend Languages, but I will be able to understand their speech.

Samuel

"It'll do for now until we can find someone to enchant a bit of magic into an item we can lend to them," Samuel said, "thank you."

JbeJ275
2020-07-20, 12:39 PM
With you seemingly being content to follow the rider, he turns his horse and heads back to the small garrison he was talking to a few minutes earlier. Two men from that garrison fetch horses from what you can now see is a small fishing village, though no boats seem to be at sea at the moment. The initial rider has some tin cups full of water brought out for you then together your group begins to ride westwards.

The ride lasts about six hours with fairly frequent breaks, and largely is across the same road, which veers inland into the hills, then returns to the coast. The other riders largely avoid the towns or villages, but you do notice those people driving carts and other civilian vehicles are also exclusively human. The architecture you see is also unfamiliar, with stone buildings being more common and villages a little more spread out. You see buildings which seem ornate enough to be temples, but no religious symbols you can recognise and no-one on the road speaks common either.

You eventually reach your destination, a fairly large town with limestone walls, densely packed streets and a substantial garrison. Upon arrival another ten or so soldiers fall in and escort you to a large fortified limestone structure at the top of the hill where a group of more official looking people wait, and approach you upon your arrival.

Do you do anything noteworthy on the ride? And what is your response to these new people approaching?

Evoker
2020-07-20, 12:50 PM
I don't do anything particularly noteworthy, focusing mainly on controlling my horse. I'm keeping an eye out for monsters for the whole trip, but after the first couple of hours with no sign of monsters, I'm pretty sure the lands we're traveling through are pretty much free of monsters.

My response to the approach of the official-looking people is mostly to look to Samuel, as I'm taking him to be the de-facto leader of the group, so far as diplomatic matters go.

Thundercracker
2020-07-20, 06:56 PM
Samuel mostly makes mental notes of where they’re headed so they can find their way back later.

Dimers
2020-07-21, 01:22 AM
Emlin's eye finds no familiar symbol at all, of either religion or nobility. Icons and near on the buildings suggest at least one of those -- but whose marks are they? He has passing acquaintance with the holy symbols of other pantheons, orcish and elvish and such. It's just as well that nothing matches, since that would raise more questions than it answers, given the all-human populace.

The paladin is also somewhat experienced with certain crafts and spends time looking at the equipment used by soldiers and travelers. Some of the civilians seem entirely unarmed, a fact which adds to Ontor's musings about the lack of monsters.

As the trek continues past the amount of time Emlin initially expected, he tries to ask for a closer look at the leader's blade. During one of the breaks he gets the man's attention, points to the sword's hilt and makes a "peering at something close up" face, then holds out his hands palms up and tilts his head to the side with a querying look. Emlin knows that some warriors bond closely with their weapons (as he himself has). Examining the blade may be a way to begin a personal connection.

JbeJ275
2020-07-22, 06:22 PM
Emlin

The lead rider is somewhat suspicious of Emlin's request, but during one rest he allows you to hold the blade. He draws some sort of strange best tube device from his side as he does so, and only returns it to his belt after you pass the sword back. The blade itself is unremarkable, a long slender cavalry sabre, worn down but seemingly kept in decent condition. It lacks any runework or sign of enchantment, seemingly quite unremarkable as far as swords go.

All

Six people in various states of fanciful dress, with various ornaments and unfamiliar symbols approach and surround you. Four more men, more heavily armed than the previous soldiers wait just behind them and watch with some nervousness. The more richly appointed men first attempt to repeat some phrase in what seems to be a wide variety of languages. Increasingly disgruntled by your lack of response they close in more, with both the new soldiers and the previous gaurds around you they start to pick at your equipment. Particularly odd looking items, increasingly hurried gibberish passes between them as they tug at your garments or peer at other items. One takes Samuel's hand and holds it up to examine the gloves, another one, the most richly appointed present, looks at Ontor's reliquary, then grabs it from the front, examining the symbol with wonder and worry. Mama is largely ignored by this group, while two of them closely examine Emlin, both his armour and his hands.

(Does Emlin have his nimbus of light activated by default or not?

Evoker
2020-07-22, 10:19 PM
What do you need? Are you looking for healing? Just because I don't worship Pelor or one of those more traditional healing gods doesn't mean I can't heal those in need.

I'll cast cure light wounds on the person panicking over my holy symbol, converting a casting of Magic Weapon to fuel it.

Thundercracker
2020-07-23, 12:14 AM
Samuel Arvandor

Sam removes his hand from the glove so they can get a better look, but keeps an eye on it so it doesn’t vanish.

Incidentally this also reveals his signet ring.

He glanced at the sun to try and gauge how much daylight they had left, and whether they’d be able to make it back before nightfall.

Dimers
2020-07-23, 12:48 AM
Emlin takes the examination with good grace and a little amusement. "It's been a while since I was last stared at this much. Clearly I need to travel more! Heh." He's a little disappointed by the relatively low interest in his handcrafted hammer, but he pushes his pride away with a rebuke and an appeasement: Be watchful against hubris: keep your feet wider than your head. And anyway, they have no way to know I made it myself.

Toliudar
2020-07-23, 12:19 PM
Mama Masala

As usual, it's best to let the men talk and talk - it helps distract them from the important things.

On the road and in the town, she keeps a hand firmly on her shopping bag, stays on Tikka and looks around for the important things:
Are people afraid of each other, or relatively relaxed?
Are they reasonably well fed, or scrounging for what they can?
Is the town heavily fortified (built for hiding in) or more porous (built for living in)?
Are the farms well cared for? Are the crops much different than the ones that she knows?

JbeJ275
2020-07-23, 05:37 PM
Mama

Your keen eyes ouck up on several things as you are escorted through the day's ride. The common people are carefully kept at a distance by the guards that have been escorting you, but you can see the common people have some distaste or distrust towards these soldiers. A healthy dose of fear is present in the countryside, but while some resentment stays the fear is lessened as you pass into this larger town. There does seem to be a lot of hunger present inside the city and less pronounced signs of the same pattern in the countryside, in particular, inside the city there is less fish on display then you'd expect from a town near the sea. The farms for the most part seem to be intact if stretched, though you see a number of distant sites of rubble, where buildings like farmhouses once stood but burned or fell months or years ago.

As for the town, it seems like a town to be lived in that later saw intense efforts to fortify it, even if they never went quite so far as to re-arrange the already present city. The limestone walls encase the entirety of the landward side of the city, and while have a few cracks- perhaps from monster attacks or powerful magic - there are no breaches. The structure you're in was clearly intended to serve as a fortification and shows signs of recent renovation. Also, while the light is dimming you can see the harbour district of this city, which contains several warships flying flags marked with cresents, stars and a few with other more varied symbols.

Samuel

You left around noon, and rode for four hours to get here. You could not return in clear daylight, but with fresh horses would make it back before true nightfall.

All

The discussion between the well appointed men comes to a sudden halt when Ontor casts his spell, the one you had chosen to cast it on seemed unwounded but reacted very strangely as the magic washed over him erasing mundane aches and pains. The silence slowly breaks into discussion yet more hurried and strange than before. They escort you from the outside courtyard into an interior room that seems to lack any lighting but candles. Upon doing so they seem yet more shocked at the glow coming off Emlin, once dismissive as a trick of the light now obvious. Two of these men dash off after more discussion while the others attempt to lead Ontor and Emlin in one direction, with Samuel and Mama going in another.

How do you react to their continued attentions? Do you consent to be separated?

Evoker
2020-07-23, 05:52 PM
I'll turn to Samuel, and speak quietly, trying not to alarm the people around me.
I'm uncomfortable with allowing us to be separated in this new land, as it'd be nearly impossible to find each other without the help of our hosts. What do you think would be the correct course of action? I do understand if you don't want to risk upsetting these people, but I also feel that allowing ourselves to be separated is a serious risk.

Thundercracker
2020-07-23, 07:49 PM
Samuel

“Stop, wait, don’t go with them,” Samuel said, “if we get separated, who knows what could happen.”

The strangers’ reactions puzzled him, and they would at least be able to understand them for a time tomorrow.

He turned to one of the strangers who looked to be in charge.

“We are hungry,” he said, making a mime of eating.

“We are tired, and wish to rest,” he said, making a mime of closing his eyes and folding his hands to sleep.

He pretended to wake up and stretch, then blink and squint up at the sun.

“Then we can talk,” he said, gesturing to the strangers and themselves, and mimicking a conversation with his hands.

“We can pay for lodging, of course,” he said, withdrawing a coin pouch and jingling it.

“Money, he thought,”the universal language.”

Dimers
2020-07-25, 06:53 AM
Emlin's simple response is to link hands with Mama Masala. He shakes his head at the person trying to lead him away, hoping that the culture isn't so far separate that the gesture will be misunderstood. What crazy circumstances!

Toliudar
2020-07-26, 12:14 AM
Mama

Mama gratefully takes Emlin's arm and holds tight.

"Emlin, you are a gentleman. Look, guys. No offense to Ontor, but that was a pretty standard healing spell, in a land that's clearly been dealing with war or something like it. Crazy as it sounds, maybe magic works different here the way it does back home. So best be cautious about how we flash any magic around.

Maybe if we call for writing implements, we can start to use maps, numbers or something to start to learn the local lingo? At least, it's a good stall while we figure out what else to do."

Dimers
2020-07-26, 01:09 AM
"Dealing with war? How do you mean?"

Thundercracker
2020-07-26, 03:48 AM
Samuel Arvandor

At mama’s words, Samuel quietly shifted his sight over to detect magic, and took a good look at their hosts. As wealthy as they appeared, he expected they would at least have some magic about them...

If there is nothing, he looks around the room.

JbeJ275
2020-07-26, 06:46 AM
Samuel

After the first set of gestures the men pause the guards, and enter brief discussion between themselves. The discussion nearly breaks argument until two of them eventually manage to get their way over the others, one being the man you healed and another, in plain white robes lacking the colours of most others. They bark new commands to the guards and they approach you again, two of them with polearms lowered. They are shepherding you much more intensely than before but do at least seem to be herding you all in the same direction, where Ontor and Emlin were headed before.

Your casting is somewhat disrupted by the jostling, and you're unsure if you managed to cast it correctly due to a total lack of any magic, even the normal background amounts of insects and plants seem to be much lower than normal.

All

They are becoming more insistent and urgent in their attempts to move you away, with some even readying pole arms. They seem to be increasingly tense and several of the men in fine robes are speaking louder and more quickly.

Thundercracker
2020-07-26, 07:17 AM
Samuel

“If they try to take our weapons, or send us to a dungeon, we’re fighting our way out,” Samuel said, “I don’t intend to be murdered here.”

He keeps his expression and tone neutral as he talks, stowing his pouch and putting his hands up. He starts moving in the direction indicated, activating his detect magic ability again.

detect magic is at will for warlocks, and he would at least be able to detect it on his gloves if it’s active.

Dimers
2020-07-26, 09:11 AM
"I agree, though even then I'd urge an attempt to not cause murder either. That's tactical as well as moral -- we're heavily outnumbered here, and lethal attacks might preclude fair treatment for us if we fail to escape." Emlin's brow says he's troubled, but his voice is as calm as ever.

Thundercracker
2020-07-26, 10:04 AM
"I agree, though even then I'd urge an attempt to not cause murder either. That's tactical as well as moral -- we're heavily outnumbered here, and lethal attacks might preclude fair treatment for us if we fail to escape." Emlin's brow says he's troubled, but his voice is as calm as ever.

Samuel Arvandor

"Agreed," Samuel said, "something interesting to note, I don't see any magic here. At all. Just ours."

Evoker
2020-07-26, 10:40 AM
That's unusual. How have they survived this long without healing spells, protective magic, that sort of thing?

We're all going in the same direction now, so that's better at least. I don't like that we're being treated as hostile though.

I'll follow Samuel's lead, and attempt to seem non-threatening, keeping my hands away from my sword, as well as walking in the indicated direction.

Thundercracker
2020-07-26, 10:42 AM
That's unusual. How have they survived this long without healing spells, protective magic, that sort of thing?

We're all going in the same direction now, so that's better at least. I don't like that we're being treated as hostile though.

I'll follow Samuel's lead, and attempt to seem non-threatening, keeping my hands away from my sword, as well as walking in the indicated direction.

Samuel Arvandor

"Hopefully we can find out tomorrow morning when we'll be able to understand them," Samuel replied.

Toliudar
2020-07-26, 04:33 PM
Mama

Mama glances around nervously. Suddenly, she wished that she'd taken the time to visit her husband before they'd left.

"If we make it to morning. D'ya see the way the regular folk look at these jokers? Their own people don't trust em. Maybe we try to all stay in the same room tonight. Assuming we GET to tonight."

Thundercracker
2020-07-26, 05:31 PM
Mama

Mama glances around nervously. Suddenly, she wished that she'd taken the time to visit her husband before they'd left.

"If we make it to morning. D'ya see the way the regular folk look at these jokers? Their own people don't trust em. Maybe we try to all stay in the same room tonight. Assuming we GET to tonight."

Samuel

“Aye, we’re not going to separate,” Samuel said.

JbeJ275
2020-07-26, 05:39 PM
All

Your new hosts herd you down another corridor, through busier parts of the castle and across to a room richer in decorations than the previous rooms. The books, treasures and repeated symbols as well as the general reverence everyone seems to have for this place suggests it serves some sort of religious purpose, and it seems either extraordinarily well maintained or very recently built. Four of the men along with the guards remain just outside, keeping a close eye on you while two others seem to begin some sort of ritual. One begins a melodic chant while clasping his hands together, eyes open and focused intently upon you. The other performs a series of hand gestures in front of you all, then looks expectantly at all of you. Especially Emlin and Ontor.

Samuel

You remain unable to pick up any spells or magic items, but something happens at the beginning of this ritual. It's to weak to match even an apprentices first cantrip, but without disturbances from anything but you the tiny tiny wisps of magic being pulled towards the praying man are noticeable. This also pulls your attention to the background magical field itself, which seemed to be weak in this area and while it remains so it is growing very slightly stronger with each passing minute. Still a desert compared to your home but slowly getting stronger nonetheless.

Evoker
2020-07-26, 05:59 PM
It's a bit of a long shot, but I'll try to Spellcraft the ritual performed. Between hand gestures and chanting, they seem to be trying to create a magical effect, and Spellcraft works on both arcane and divine magic, so I might be able to get the gist of what it is they are trying to accomplish with this "spell", even if there seems to have been no actual effect.

[roll0]

Thundercracker
2020-07-26, 06:20 PM
Samuel

“There is some magic here, very faint, not even a cantrip’s worth,” Samuel muttered.

He picked up on the hand gesture the men performed.

“Think it’s some kind of greeting or welcoming ritual?” he asked.

He attempted to copy the hand gesture.

JbeJ275
2020-07-26, 07:09 PM
Ontor

You note parts from the gestures for your healing magic, parts from Samuels gestures to attune themselves to magic and then a bunch of gestures indicating... expanding? exploding? maybe glowing? At the end he makes a circle with his hand, maybe asking you to repeat the earlier magic?

Evoker
2020-07-26, 07:38 PM
It's... almost as if they're trying to learn our magic. Doing it extremely quickly too.

Thundercracker
2020-07-26, 07:45 PM
Samuel

“Well... I can use detect magic without growing weary, shall I demonstrate for them again?” Samuel asked.

Evoker
2020-07-26, 07:59 PM
That's up to you, sir. It would seem to be fairly harmless. According to what you said, there might not be enough magic for them to pull it off, and even if they did, what would they detect? They already know we're not like them.

Thundercracker
2020-07-26, 08:45 PM
Samuel repeats the activation of his ability to detect magic, then gauges their hosts' response.

sense motive take 10 for 15.

Toliudar
2020-07-27, 11:28 PM
Mama

Mama is trying her best to maintain a sanguine good cheer about their constrained situation, but is finding it hard to maintain a cheerful disposition.

"Let's not teach em too much magic, eh? It might be the only sleeved ace we've got in this mess."

Dimers
2020-07-28, 12:38 PM
Emlin shakes his head. "Surely no one could learn a cantrip so quickly? It took me years of devotion to get to where I am now ... Well," he laughs, "perhaps they're just more talented. Samuel, I wish I could see what you're seeing now. You look fascinated."

Thundercracker
2020-07-28, 05:58 PM
Emlin shakes his head. "Surely no one could learn a cantrip so quickly? It took me years of devotion to get to where I am now ... Well," he laughs, "perhaps they're just more talented. Samuel, I wish I could see what you're seeing now. You look fascinated."

“It’s just that I’ve never seen this little magic before,” Samuel replied.

JbeJ275
2020-07-28, 06:01 PM
Samuel

The waves of magic surrounding the chanting man seem... formless and random in school. If he's trying to do magic he's not achieving that by copying you. You know magic can be channelled by sheer force of will, with gestures and speech necessary to properly shape it. This is formless, showing some capacity for and belief in magic but no expertise or skill, and the one disrupting the magic fields is different to the one crudely imitating your gestures. As for their reaction, they seem un-nerved when you again perform magic, then five look to the one engaged in ritual chanting. They seem... confused, either by the result or the lack of one.

Emlin

You can tell that your hosts are totally blindsided, they're holding it in well, all clearly people not unused to hiding away doubts but they seem out of their depth when dealing with your party and scrambling to gain any useful understanding without showing obvious weakness. They looked expectantly at the chanting one when Samuel repeated his magic, likely expecting some result that did not emerge. At this point, beneath the surface it seems these people are trying to find a way to explain what they've seen so far but without speech or any familiarity with what you've been doing they are failing and becoming panicky. You also think this means they are beholden to others rather than running the whole show here. From the ritual, it seems like they intended it to be a prayer to prevent bad things, a common enough sort and they were beckoning you to repeat your magics to check if it was something blocked by the spell. However, if Samuel was right that it had no magical presence then they must have relied on something else entirely to have that effect. With your showing of magic occurring but being less obvious than last time you believe they may be attempting to decide whether or not it was their attempts to prevent evil magic that led to Ontor not casting as he did earlier, while your glow and Samuels spell might be seen as an affirmation that your magic is not a threat or as an indication that you are powerful indeed.

All

After some time, the gesturing man at the front stops and soon after the chanting man stops chanting. They quickly leave the room to have just the four guards watching you. Then time passes, perhaps half an hour. The guards let you move around the room, and there are wooden benches to be seated on but take a dim view of you approaching th
em or looking to closely at some of the items in the room. There is a chance to run now should you take it, with large windows dropping down around ten feet onto the street outside this fort, though it's inside the city walls.

If you stay, eventually the men return with two more guards, and escort you towards a room with four beds, a large table and chairs, but few other fittings. The table is dominated by a platter of rice, a dish full of some cuts of meat and a large bowl of hot soup with small loaves on smaller plates. They make no attempt to disarm you, but do leave the door closed and station two gaurds to keep watch.

Evoker
2020-07-28, 06:12 PM
So, what should we do? They don't seem about to kill us, so that's good, at least. On the other hand, these guards are keeping us here for some reason, presumably.

Thundercracker
2020-07-28, 06:34 PM
Samuel

“We rest,” Samuel said, “we take it in turns sleeping like we’re out in the field and tomorrow we’ll have comprehend languages so at least we’ll know what they’re saying. It should make communicating a bit easier. Then if it makes sense, I think we should invite a few of them to come with us and we can host them in our town. They’ll get a good look at the border too.”

He tested out some of the meat.

“We’re not in a dungeon, that’s a start,” he said.

Toliudar
2020-07-28, 09:49 PM
Mama Masala

Mama was uncharacteristically quiet, settling in a corner of the room. She was thinking about her children, and their children, and the world that they would wake up to if the four of them somehow started some kind of major conflict with these strange, magic-less benighted souls.

"Yup. If we run now, they'll just chase us down, and it ain't like we can hide the whole town. They'll find us. But you saw them when Ontor and Samuel worked their magic. I swear, I could see erections on two of em.

"I vote we tell them nothing here, but offer to host a small number back in our town, coupla days from now. Give us home advantage, a bit."

Evoker
2020-07-28, 10:05 PM
Mrs. Masala, I hate to question your wisdom, but how would we invite them? Comprehend Language is one-way only, and only affects myself. They won't know what we're saying any more than they did today, unless you have some plan.

Dimers
2020-07-28, 10:09 PM
“We’re not in a dungeon, that’s a start,” Samuel said.

"And a bit shaken but unharmed," Emlin concurs. "These people seem almost like children ... curious about how the world works, possessed of unorthodox theories to explain it, trying not to show that they're scared and ill-equipped. Hopefully they'll show a child's respect for life rather than a child's lack of temper."

They won't know what we're saying any more than they did today, unless you have some plan.

"Perhaps they just need time to drum up a talented linguist? One may hope." The young man stands and stretches. "I'll take the final watch, if I may. I'll need to be up for dawn devotions in any case. Would one of you do me the kindness of helping me out of this armor?"

Toliudar
2020-07-29, 01:27 PM
Mama Masala

Mama smiles, happy at being able to distract herself with logistic details instead of existential dread.

"Simple ideas, I think we can get across with gestures."

To demonstrate, she gestures a circle that includes the four of them, and uses her finger to show walking. She then points to an imaginary figure in the room. She holds up her hands

Then holds up two fingers, and makes this gesture twice.

https://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/signjpegs/d/day-1.jpg

Points back to the invisible figure, makes the walking sign again, and then gestures to herself.

She shrugs.

"Or we just point to the words in a book to spell out what we want them to do. We can do this, guys."

Thundercracker
2020-07-29, 08:01 PM
Mama Masala

Mama smiles, happy at being able to distract herself with logistic details instead of existential dread.

"Simple ideas, I think we can get across with gestures."

To demonstrate, she gestures a circle that includes the four of them, and uses her finger to show walking. She then points to an imaginary figure in the room. She holds up her hands

Then holds up two fingers, and makes this gesture twice.

https://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/signjpegs/d/day-1.jpg

Points back to the invisible figure, makes the walking sign again, and then gestures to herself.

She shrugs.

"Or we just point to the words in a book to spell out what we want them to do. We can do this, guys."

“We can always draw pictures,” Samuel added.

JbeJ275
2020-07-31, 09:00 AM
Soon enough, night comes and with it sleep giving you all a blessed chance to rest and refill any spent magics, your minds no doubt turning over the mystery of these lands and the plight of those left behind in Citallon while you were here.

Shortly after dawn one of the men from last night comes and fetches you again, this time with twelve soldiers at his back. The gaurds bring in some sort of porridge for your breakfast then escort you out of the door one more. This time they escort you to a carriage drawn by horses and motion for you to enter. Then if you comply they take the carriage out of the fortress, then out of the city. They are travelling further westwards away from the city.

At any point do you refuse to be escorted or try to use further magics to engage with them in some capacity?

Evoker
2020-07-31, 10:05 AM
I'll cast Comprehend Languages at the beginning of the day. How should I approach this? Just touch someone and try to get them to talk? Or does anyone have a better idea.

Thundercracker
2020-07-31, 10:31 AM
Samuel

While eating breakfast, Samuel motions for the well heeled man from the night before to get his attention.

He pats his chest a couple of times.

"Samuel," he said.

He points to Ontor.

"Ontor," he said, and hopefully Ontor turns his head.

Then Samuel pointed at the gentleman.

He then repeats the gesture.
"Samuel," he said, pointing to himself.
"Ontor," he said, pointing to Ontor, and then he points at the gentleman.

Assuming the gentleman says his name, Samuel will say
"<name>, talk talk talk talk talk," while making a talking motion with his hand.
He then points at Ontor and puts a hand to his ear.
"Ontor," he said, putting a hand to his ear.
"Ahhh," he said, nodding his head as if in understanding.

He'll repeat this if necessary until the man says something, and then ask Ontor to share whatever he said.

JbeJ275
2020-07-31, 11:02 AM
The man perks up at your words, and begins paying close attention. He calls one of the guards, seemingly the captain, to the table with parchment a pen and a pot of ink. He scribbles down something in a script unfamiliar to you as you talk. When you first beckon to him he says Sunbul as his name.

He sees your gesture and while he misses the intent a little it still serves to proompt him into speech.

Sorry no. He says shaking his head. I ate before dawn and it would be most improper for me to do so now. He waves his hands in between him and the food and leans away to indicate his unwillingness to eat with you.

Evoker
2020-07-31, 11:07 AM
I'll tell the others what he said.

Well, at least the spell works. Shame they can't understand me, and our plan of gesturing seems to have fallen through.

Thundercracker
2020-07-31, 05:38 PM
I'll tell the others what he said.

Well, at least the spell works. Shame they can't understand me, and our plan of gesturing seems to have fallen through.

Samuel ignores his comrade’s pessimism and shakes his head at Sunbul.
“No,” he said, moving the plate of porridge aside, to show they understood.

“Speak,” he said, pointing to his mouth, “Sunbul speak.”

“Ontor listen,” he said, pointing directly to Ontor’s ear.

JbeJ275
2020-07-31, 05:43 PM
You mean to learn to understand us? That would be wise indeed. Ahh.. We will find a teacher for you yes? He says with hand gestures indicating speech and writing but with little overall clarity.

Evoker
2020-07-31, 05:48 PM
Well, I'll report that to the other party members.

Is it possible to distinguish and/or parrot specific words by matching them with the meanings I receive, or does that fly to close to the spell granting me the ability to speak the language/is impossible because I don't match meanings to specific sounds, just get the overall meaning of the speech as a whole.

Thundercracker
2020-07-31, 06:01 PM
Samuel nodded.

“Magic,” he said, casting detect magic.

“Ontor”, Samuel said, pointing to Ontor’s ear.
“Understand,” he said.

“Magic, Ontor, understand,” he said, casting detect magic again, then to their ears.

JbeJ275
2020-08-01, 02:33 AM
Wait this is... more sorcery? And you admit that it is true sorcery? You... can understand now what we say? Hüseyin Pasha will be most interested. Can you understand me? If you can... Ontor please point towards a window with the most little finger on your left hand. At this point he has stopped with the hand gestures, and adopted a look of clear bewilderment.

Evoker
2020-08-01, 10:09 AM
I do so, then wait for him to continue.

Toliudar
2020-08-01, 03:08 PM
Mama

Well, it seems like some kind of communication was occurring.

"If you can maybe ask this Sunbul guy to write down a hundred or so common words, then you'll be able to read them and write down our versions next to them, right? That way, when your magic wears off, we'll have the start of real translating. Remember, if they don't have magic, they're probably gonna be really scared of it. And us."

JbeJ275
2020-08-01, 04:55 PM
Following this exchange Sunbul continues to speak, largely seeming concerned with the immediate situation. You have landed on the island of Crete and after a far-away nation used the kingdom here to launch attacks on innocent travellers within their realm, an empire ruled by the house of Osman, thus they launched an expedition here to persuade the kingdom to change loyalties and evict these Venetians and their mercenary armies. Most of the island greeted them openly with open arms including Rethimno, the town you're currently in, and Chania the city you're heading to. Your appearance was quite sudden, and you arrived next to Candia. That was the one city that the Venetians had enough control over to prevent a peaceful turnover and force an unnecessary fight. The city is now under siege, and so when you appeared they initially worried the gleaming light was related to the Venetian fleet somehow so sent riders and soldiers to investigate and ascertain the cause. Now you are being taken to see Gazi Hüseyin Pasha, the leader of the military force.

He does seem receptive to answering more specific questions, and is willing to backtrack to cover more complex areas. However your inability to ask proper questions does hinder you somewhat.

Breakfast finishes while he is still describing your circumstances, and he rides with you in the carriage as he goes into more detail.

Evoker
2020-08-01, 06:21 PM
I'll translate for the rest of the group. I'll also give Sense Motive a try, see if he's lying or concealing the truth in some way.

[roll0]

JbeJ275
2020-08-02, 07:38 AM
He seems to be honest in regards to the broad strokes details he’s giving you.

Thundercracker
2020-08-02, 08:22 AM
Samuel

“Good idea, Mama,” Samuel said. He turned back to Sunbul.

“Samuel, magic,” Samuel said, casting detect magic again.

“Ontor, magic” Samuel said, pointing to Ontor’s ear.

“Gazi Husayin Pasha, magic?” Samuel asked.

JbeJ275
2020-08-02, 12:08 PM
Mage-ic? Ah, your word for sorcery. He replies. No, Husayin Pasha is no witch or sorcerer. Nor one of those mystics who claim blessing from the prophets. I do not know where you come from but here there are no men who practice such things openly and those miracle workers that claim to work true magic in the City’s streets are never so bold or clear about it. It shall be Husayin Pasha who decides your fate as we know you have no bond to the prophet.

Toliudar
2020-08-02, 07:48 PM
Mama

As soon as it becomes clear that they are being guided toward a carriage, Mama stops and uses gestures of riding a horse and pointing to herself that she wants her horse brought here, to travel with them. She will not become violent, but will get quite loud in her repetition if necessary.

Evoker
2020-08-02, 07:51 PM
I'll translate any responses that Sunbul makes to the gestures that Mama's making.

Dimers
2020-08-02, 11:47 PM
"This is a chance for our hosts to show their goodwill, Mama Masala," Emlin notes, also wanting to see his own beast. "Have they cared well for what we came with? Will they be fair about allowing us our worldly goods -- and our friends? I know Tikka cares for you, and not just because you give her carrots." The young paladin stands firm with the midwife, 'speaking' as best he can with gesture. Makes me wish I'd learned to draw better than a child!

Thundercracker
2020-08-02, 11:52 PM
"This is a chance for our hosts to show their goodwill, Mama Masala," Emlin notes, also wanting to see his own beast. "Have they cared well for what we came with? Will they be fair about allowing us our worldly goods -- and our friends? I know Tikka cares for you, and not just because you give her carrots." The young paladin stands firm with the midwife, 'speaking' as best he can with gesture. Makes me wish I'd learned to draw better than a child!

“I almost think we should craft an earring of comprehend languages before we go,” Samuel said, “then we could have proper talks. From what he says, it sounds like magic is frowned upon, if not outright banned. We could be walking into a very serious situation here.”

Evoker
2020-08-03, 12:10 AM
That's not a bad idea. Is anyone able to craft an item of that sort? I am not, unfortunately.

Thundercracker
2020-08-03, 12:36 AM
That's not a bad idea. Is anyone able to craft an item of that sort? I am not, unfortunately.

“I can, with the right materials,” Samuel said.

JbeJ275
2020-08-03, 11:10 AM
Mama

As soon as it becomes clear that they are being guided toward a carriage, Mama stops and uses gestures of riding a horse and pointing to herself that she wants her horse brought here, to travel with them. She will not become violent, but will get quite loud in her repetition if necessary.

They take a while to correctly interpret the gesture but seem to eventually. They are somewhat hesitant to let you ride freely, but seem willing to replace one of the horses drawing the carriage with Tikka if that would quiet your complaints.

Toliudar
2020-08-03, 02:42 PM
Mama

Mama quiets down when the folks offer to put Tikka into the team pulling the carriage. She stands nearby and gives Tikka reassuring gestures as she's harnessed into a team for the first time.

And then, when the others are ready, Mama settles back in the carriage and tries not to show how frightened she is. She watches out the window for landmarks, and for signs of how the people in this land are faring under this government.

Evoker
2020-08-03, 02:45 PM
I'll talk with Samuel regarding the creation of a comprehend languages item.

Do I need to make some sort of Knowledge check to suggest creating a Pearl of Speech (MIC)

Evoker
2020-08-04, 01:04 PM
You could craft a Pearl of Speech. The requisite spell it's embedded with is a little beyond my capabilities, but it would allow convenient two-way communication.

Thundercracker
2020-08-04, 07:13 PM
You could craft a Pearl of Speech. The requisite spell it's embedded with is a little beyond my capabilities, but it would allow convenient two-way communication.

“Maybe,” Samuel replied, “but we need to find someone who can cast ‘tongues’, plus it only works for one language. Two earrings of comprehend languages will let us lend one out and talk to anyone.”

“More importantly, we need to get out of this situation and get back to town first...” he added.

Evoker
2020-08-05, 12:19 PM
True. I am worried about that... On the bright side, they do seem to be fairly honest about their motivations. I can't believe that they would be so thoroughly deceptive as to create a fairly complex motivation for their actions without even knowing anything about our own goals. For all they know, we could be in favor of unprovoked war, as the orcs are.

Toliudar
2020-08-05, 03:38 PM
Mama Masala

Mama shrugs.

"You remember being a kid, Ontor? Every fight was always the other guy's fault. This is no different. For all we know, the 'Venetians' have been in charge here peacefully for a thousand years, and these folks are the invaders.

"And now they're taking us to some siege so...what? So that we can use our terrible sorceries to tear down Chania's defences, maybe? Best case is they never figure out that we can't do that. Worst case is they figure out that we can't do the big stuff, and they decide not to sweat the small stuff."

A new thought occurs to her.

"Weird. If they don't HAVE magic here, how come they even have words for it? I mean, maybe, this empire of theirs HAD magic, but lost it somehow, a long time ago."

JbeJ275
2020-08-05, 05:03 PM
As you speak the carriage continues down the long sea road, blessedly better maintained than the earlier paths. Sunbul remains in the carriage, speaking mainly about the commander's place in the Ottoman court and the various factions that exist within the army units here. He goes on to speak more, presumably of other topics and is responsive to people asking for more specific information but soon enough the spell does fade. (Would Ontor use more castings to hear this information or ask him more questions?)

After several hours of this you see another city out of the carriage's front window. It is settled neatly above a large harbour, occupying one side of an isthmus that connects the main island to a smaller landmass, there a barracks and training field has been set up to keep the soldiers here well stationed and keep their skills honed. The harbour is almost entirely empty, the ships currently there well below what you'd expect for such a large piece of infrastructure. From afar you see the city walls, which seems to have had several breaches patched over. You also see a series of ruins on the coastline or on various islands beyond the fort, all fallen but one almost completely levelled as though by an extremely powerful explosion.

The carriage skirts around the walls of the city, instead entering a low wooden building next to the military buildings. Here you are shown inside again and taken to another room. Sunbul, having travelled with you throughout this will slowly repeat what he said earlier, somewhat confused by your changing ability to understand him but not to agitated. (Would you cast it again now?) They show you down several halls until eventually having you in another room, one that seems better appointed than most soldiers would have, likely forming part of the officer quarters. Here they attempt to show Mama into one room and the other three into another, are you co-operative in this? And do you do anything else on your journey over.

For successfully finding out the current political situation without making any enemies, and also learning a little bit about magic in this world you all gain 250 XP.

Toliudar
2020-08-05, 05:47 PM
Mama Masala

On the carriage ride over:

"Keep an eye out for mice, squirrels, critters like those. In the morning, we might be able to convince one of them to head back home with a message. Let everyone else know what we've learned, anyway."

She follows her own advice, keeping an eye out on rest and bio-breaks to try to lure a small rodent into her shopping bag.

--

Seeing the ruins, and especially the evidence of the explosion:

"Holy sh*t! Maybe they don't call it magic, but they've got something here. And if our hosts can do that, it certainly helps explain why there's only one city holding out from them."

--

When their hosts try to show Mama into a separate room, she simply smiles and pats one of their cheeks.

"Now, I understand. Don't think I don't know what you're trying to do, flatter me with special treatment. I know that I'm twice as old and twice as sexy as that lot, but there's no need to embarrass the boys by giving me a room of my own."

She follows Emlin, Ontor and Samuel into their room.

Survival? to lure in a rodent or other small animal (suitable for the Animal Messenger Spell) with some bits of bread. [roll0]. If she has a moment of privacy, she'll form her Shapesand into a wireframe hamster ball around the critter and drop it in her Haversack (finding opportunities to take it out for air whenever they have privacy).

Diplomacy? to defuse any tensions with their hosts when they try to separate Mama. [roll1].

And in preparation/hope of casting Animal Messenger in the morning: Survival? to understand roughly how far they've travelled and in what direction, since yesterday morning. [roll2]

JbeJ275
2020-08-05, 06:09 PM
The guards are a little slow to react, and when Mama slips into the other rooms they haven't had the chance to react. She sees a room with a few benches, a few basins of water, a few dividing curtains and three folded pairs of gentlemen's formal wear. It's fairly similar in style and cut to what the officers have been wearing on the trip over. Common sense tells you this is a dressing room of some sort.

You find a suitable Rock Dove with little difficulty, and it seems just as readily friendly as wild creatures back home helping you out with little trouble.

The guards certainly seemed agitated and wary when you slipped past them, but none to the point of violence.

The constant presence of the northern shoreline makes tracking direction very easy. Distance is a little harder but you have a good estimate, it's between forty and fifty miles between riding for much of yesterday and the carriage trip today.

Evoker
2020-08-05, 06:59 PM
Unless someone else has a specific request of me to re-open communications, I'm saving my second casting of comprehend languages for an emergency.

I'm very impressed by the evidence left by the explosion. Assuming that it would be similar to a Fireball, I'll prepare a casting of Resist Energy the next time I rest, swapping out my preparation of Augury.

I will try to object to the formal wear, trying to communicate to the guards that I'm not willing to part with my armor.
[roll0]

Dimers
2020-08-05, 09:54 PM
He goes on to speak more, presumably of other topics and is responsive to people asking for more specific information ...

Before the spell expires, Emlin struggles to express the question, "Is Hüseyin Pasha a religious man?" Ultimately it doesn't get through, simply for lack of overlap in religious symbolism. What does prayer look like here? How does one mime reverence of the gods? It's not clear.

"Holy sh*t! Maybe they don't call it magic, but they've got something here. And if our hosts can do that, it certainly helps explain why there's only one city holding out from them."

"I take issue with the language but agree with the sentiment. Whoever made that blast needs to be taken seriously." Emlin shakes his head slowly, looking out the window.

Common sense tells you this is a dressing room of some sort.

"Aha! A chance to spiffy up before the formal visit." Emlin starts removing his breastplate and paraphernalia. "Ontor, it's possible you won't be allowed before the leader without proper dress; some cultures are very strict about clothing. What will you do if they deny you a visit?" The paladin is facing a similar problem himself, though. Wearing a weapon into the Most August Presence might be impermissible. He tries to recall whether he's seen well-dressed people with weapon containers at all and whether they were peace-tied.

Thundercracker
2020-08-06, 08:39 PM
Samuel inspects the robes more carefully, then decides to don them stowing his armor in his pack for the time being. If Push came to shove, they’d bar the doors to a room and suit up, but he didn’t want to offend their hosts on their first visit.

He let the others make their own decisions as to what to do.

Toliudar
2020-08-06, 11:52 PM
Mama

Mama does Emlin the courtesy of turning away from him before rolling her eyes when he chides her for expressing herself. But when she sees him looking about for a way to seem less militant, she pats her shopping bag, always at her elbow.

"They seem none too eager to lay hands on me. I can fit all your swords and such in my bag, if you like."

Evoker
2020-08-07, 10:22 AM
That's not a bad idea. If you'll take my sword, maybe they'll let me keep my armor.

Toliudar
2020-08-07, 04:31 PM
Mama

Mama nods, and tucks away his sword in her much-smaller-than-the-sword bag.

"Yup. I suspect you're fine with all that. Nobody ever died because they were guarding somebody wrapped in armor."

Dimers
2020-08-07, 11:47 PM
"A fine thing! Mama, I forgot you even had that, I'm so accustomed to the idea. This ... land without magic ... it really is a different world. Can you imagine, never having seen an interdimensional space?" Emlin looks amazed but keeps at his work figuring out how to apply the different bits of clothing.

JbeJ275
2020-08-08, 06:11 AM
Emlin

While you can’t ask about the religious part properly, Ontor’s ability to comprehend answers failing before you can get the point across if you keep an eye out you will notice some things. While ou have not witnessed it yet today, yesterday you heard bells ring out across the fort well after sunset, which was then followed by the guards repeating some quiet prayer. Your hosts also have had food prepared for you but have not eaten in your presence which could be some sort of religious practice.

In regards to attire, many of the officers and courtiers go around with weapons on their hips, usually similar long curved swords to those the head rider carries on your first day here but with far more decoration. None were wearing any heavy armour though.

All

After a fair while the guards re-enter the room with Sunbul following behind them. One of the guards approaches Emlin to fix a litany of minor mistakes in his dress, though it seems he got the majority largely correct. Another makes some fixes to Samuel’s but is done much faster.

After this they try and arrange you in a square formation of Samuel and Emlin at the front with Mama and Ontor behind, eight gaurds accompanying you in two columns and Sunbul at the head. Then they begin to move, taking you back through the way you entered and approaching a conference room of some kind. Around a large table sit three men, who beckon you to sit.

Sunbul says something, of which you can recognise a little. Something something something Gazi Hüseyin Pasha this something something something Samuel and Emlin, something something something something Mama and Ontor. Something something something? Gesturing at each of you in turn as he names you.

Evoker
2020-08-08, 10:48 AM
I think this qualifies as an emergency.

I'll cast Comprehend Languages, then begin translating properly.

JbeJ275
2020-08-08, 04:25 PM
Ontor

You understand the foreign words muttered.

I bring these supplicants to meet the great general Gazi Hüseyin Pasha, lord of Eygpt and among the first servants of the Sultan. They hail from the village beyond, that our riders found emerging near the city of Candia. The riders you see here are their noble emissaries Samuel and Emlin alongside their retainers and bodyguards Mama and Ontor. As you have been briefed, they are skilled in some powerful form of sorcery, more real and evident than any man in the great cities of the empire, or any desert shaman I have seen, yet they are not followers of the prophet and speak no tongue of the empire. What is your desire, great commander?

All

You do have a good opportunity to respond as the man being addressed seems to be slowly mulling things over.

Evoker
2020-08-08, 05:52 PM
I'll translate quietly, trying not to alarm anyone but also not trying to attract attention.

Dimers
2020-08-09, 01:10 AM
When Emlin hears his name, he executes a deep bow to the apparent target of the speech. Not wishing to interrupt either Ontor or Sunbul, he quietly muses I do prefer the sound of "skilled in sorcery" rather than "armed with sorcery" ...

Toliudar
2020-08-09, 03:19 AM
Mama ponders the ramifications. Because their village seemed to pop up near the seige of their enemy, these folks might be more inclined to think them allied with the defenders. But if these are invaders, and recent arrivals, they might not understand just how recently the town had popped in here. Which could be an advantage, if a slight one.

In the meantime, Mama did her best ot seem pompous and stick-up-butt-ish, on the assumption that that's how 'retainers' acted.

Thundercracker
2020-08-09, 03:20 AM
Samuel kept quiet and waited for the older man to speak.

JbeJ275
2020-08-09, 05:51 AM
Eventually, Hüseyin Pasha does reply which Ontor can then translate. Tell me, what sorcery have we seen from them? One may bear the skin of fireflies, another may heal an old man’s aching joints. They may bear clothes of a style unknown from New Spain to China and perform these many parlour tricks, but that makes them little better than curiosities, to entertain children of our esteemed Sultan’s age. Hardly worth the space on a ship to the great city with our current problems. Can they do more, officer? Or are you wasting my time with heathen performers.

Sunbul seems largely uncowed, if acutely aware of the differences in rank. My lord Governor, that is the sorcery these men have worked with no powders potions or preparation. It is something wholly unlike any performer in courts has ever demonstrated. Not only that but their village, it descended into the world born atop a pillar of light that for a day and a night could be seen by our men. Those of our men who advanced into the village have reported the ground itself totally replaced, changed entirely by the events. This is no foreign crew sneaking through the blockade, this is something else entirely one day’s hard ride will show you what I refer, and no man could assume these were anything less than sorcerer’s or mages after seeing that.

With this Hüseyin falls again into quiet but intense discussion with the two men who sit to his left and right. They and Sunbul all shoot glances towards your group, waiting any displays or replies you give and trying to gage your mood.

Thundercracker
2020-08-09, 08:33 AM
Samuel Arvandor

After hearing Ontor’s translation, Samuel spoke up.

“Honestly, we went looking for a way to figure out where we are and if anyone can help us get home,” Samuel said, “I don’t think these people can help us. So...”

He paused in thought.

“We need to assume we might be stuck here for a while,” Samuel said, “does it make sense to give a display of magic right here and now and get sent to see this Sultan? Or should we head back to the town for some time to talk it over? I’d prefer making something that can allow true communication first, perhaps bring an envoy in before we agree to travel anywhere distant. For all we know the townsfolk might need us there, and we should make sure everything is running smoothly before leaving for any considerable time...”

Evoker
2020-08-09, 09:52 AM
I'm in no hurry to see this "Sultan". But even if we don't display magic, I don't think we'll be able to leave and return to the village.

Dimers
2020-08-09, 10:44 AM
"No, I don't think they'll want us out of sight, though simple persistent passive resistance may very well win us our freedom," Emlin says quietly. "But we should avoid being shipped away for certain! We must return to Citallon."

Toliudar
2020-08-09, 04:04 PM
Mama makes a shoiw of deference to her 'bosses' before murmuring.

"The more 'interesting' we are, the more likely that we end up in some bloody torture room to extract some damfool 'secrets.'

JbeJ275
2020-08-11, 03:35 AM
Very well, if this village has shown so much strangeness and power we would do well to have it, and to deny it to the Venetians. Sunbul you shall take these visitors to our scribes today along with the returning scouts to codify all the knowledge we can on these visitors, their sorcery and their home. Tomorrow, you will meet with Captain Ekrem and take is company back to this village to properly enforce the laws and customs of our empire there. If these visitors can be persuaded to help with this task we may permit them to rule the village as their local fief, subject to all obligations of such folk of course. We shall wait until news can safely be transmitted between here and the mainland to then consult the sultan and the appropriate Ulama (scholars) as to whether their magic can be accepted.

Sunbul bows in response and begins to move out of the room, the guards waiting for you to follow. Sunbul looks somewhat troubled but nonetheless moves quickly through the camp.

Evoker
2020-08-11, 10:04 AM
When I translate this, I sound somewhat angry, but also worried.
Hmmph. What would be the most expedient course of action here? I vote that we go with the soldiers sent to 'Enforce' their laws, and ambush them when we are far enough away that they will not receive any reinforcements. Hopefully that will buy us some time to figure out what to do.

Toliudar
2020-08-11, 03:44 PM
Mama grimaces.

"Leastwise, we can agree that we want them to let us leave this place, escorted or not. Let's all nod and scrape right now, and work out details later."

Dimers
2020-08-11, 11:24 PM
"Fair enough," Emlin agrees. "Recover our mastery of our own fate first, then we'll be able to react to other developments appropriately. Perhaps -- I can hope -- the leader will prove virtuous and just and wise. Or perhaps we'll find a way back out of this odd world and not need to make a choice at all."

Thundercracker
2020-08-11, 11:35 PM
Samuel

“I don’t like the sound of it at all, and our host seems uncomfortable with the idea,” Samuel said, being careful not to use Sinbul’s name.

“At any rate, I suggest not telling them anything of import,” he said, “as soon as we get back, we need to secure all of the scrolls in the library, hide them away in an extra-dimensional space maybe. The question is do we stay and wait for the soldiers to escort us back or so we try to escape during the night?”

Evoker
2020-08-12, 12:13 AM
Escaping would seem to be a bad move. We would have to escape without getting spotted, and even then they still know where the village is located, so our escape might just prompt them to spend more soldiers. Not to mention the fact that sneaking away in the night is hardly honorable when compared to challenging soldiers we know are threatening our independence. I have no desire to kill some halpless guards.

JbeJ275
2020-08-12, 04:31 PM
Sunbul takes you to a separate room. There are many scribes here, but no gaurds are inside the room. He asks no end of questions, mostly yes or no questions and sets out three small sticks corresponding to yes no and maybe for you to answer unambiguously. This lasts until comprehend fades, then a good ten minutes more through increasing frustration.

(Generally how honest are you? Any topics in particular you want to mislead them on?)

After this you are put in a corner where many scribes speak loudly and slowly at you, but you can only grasp a few unconnected words. They examine your worn equipment, but don’t go so far as to take it or touch inside anything. You learn a few things in return, as you see a map of the island, Crete, that you apparently now live on.

There are a few other observations and opportunities. Twice during this process, bells ring out from afar, then all the scholars leave the room swiftly, only to returnperhaos fifteen minutes later. You can also here the sound of men marching outside, and once or twice a rapid series of brief explosions can be heard from outside, though it doesn’t seem to faze any scribes.

Evoker
2020-08-12, 05:25 PM
I'll not give any specific information about the town's defenses, security, etc, if they are asked. I'll also remain vague on the exact things our "sorcery" can and cannot do, although I'll try to explain that I can only sometimes understand them because of how that magic works. Other than that, I'll default to the rest of the party as far as what to or what not to answer.

Dimers
2020-08-12, 09:30 PM
Emlin tries to get a sense of the map's scale. "Ontor, are any of the writings on this map a key to distance?" If his friend can't help, he'll ask a scribe, using a 'fingers walking' motion to suggest travel and a vertical semicircle arm sweep to mean 'day': How many days to walk across the land, end to end?

Toliudar
2020-08-13, 05:32 PM
Mama steps back, trusting Ontor to take care of the town's best interests. Instead, she focuses on memorizing what details she can from the map itself - rivers, the locations of what she'll assume are towns, any other markings.

Thundercracker
2020-08-13, 05:54 PM
Samuel

They definitely wouldn’t be able to convey anything the scribes would really be after, so Samuel likewise let Ontor handle the answering until the spell ran out.

“We might consider pretending the spell ended early,” he suggested after a minute or two of questions.

JbeJ275
2020-08-15, 07:37 AM
Emlin.

Working it out with a little prompting they answer that it would take about seven days to go from the east to the west if you avoided the hills. Crossing north to south is said to take three days despite the much shorter distance likely due to the hills you have seen.

Mama

The towns dot the shore of the island, some settlement whereever there is a natural harbour or stretch of arable land. The three largest cities are Candia, which you know to be near Citallon, Chania where you are now and Rethimno where you called in yesterday. Mountains run from the east to west of the island, with a particularly large mountain south of Citallon.

All

After you stop responding to the questions you are shown to other accommodations with your previous clothes returned to you alongside nightgowns. You are not fed until after dusk falls but you are gaurded throughout. You know in the morning they will come to escort you back to Citallon. Do you do anything that night or plan to do anything before arriving back in Citallon?

Evoker
2020-08-15, 10:07 AM
So, we are agreed that we should travel to Citallon with the soldiers, but stop them before they can reach Citallon?

Toliudar
2020-08-16, 11:23 PM
Mama grimaces at Ontor's proposal.

"I'm not so sure. These people seem to be in the process of capturing this entire island, and we have no idea how long we're going to be stuck here. I don't get the feeling that the townsfolk have anything that's gonna stand up to this army. So maybe our best course is to figure out how to seem boring and compliant while we look for a way to get home."

Thundercracker
2020-08-16, 11:28 PM
Samuel

“I don’t know of any magic powerful enough to teleport an entire town, we may be stuck here a very long time,” Samuel said, “I think we should start finding out more about our hosts, and what their capabilities and customs are. That will give us a better idea of what we can do, but for now I agree, we should play along.”

Dimers
2020-08-16, 11:42 PM
Emlin looks pensive. "Perhaps it would be best just to get across that we need to see our loved ones before continuing. How long could a side trip take? Surely less time than what's needed to move four people objecting to being moved. It's hardly an unreasonable request."

Thundercracker
2020-08-17, 12:24 AM
Emlin looks pensive. "Perhaps it would be best just to get across that we need to see our loved ones before continuing. How long could a side trip take? Surely less time than what's needed to move four people objecting to being moved. It's hardly an unreasonable request."

Samuel

“They’re taking us back to the town, with a detachment of soldiers,” Samuel replied.

Evoker
2020-08-17, 10:05 AM
Ontor grinds his teeth.

I'm uncomfortable with just... allowing them to get away with making us into a subordinate village. I know they are powerful, but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Not to mention that if we become a subordinate village, that makes us a potential target for anyone they're fighting.

Thundercracker
2020-08-17, 10:19 AM
Samuel

“As am I, perhaps we will be able to reason with the commander of the soldiers, or with Sinbul, if he has any sway over them,” Samuel said, “I don’t think slaughtering a company sent to escort us is an option, so we may need to accept control for the time being and find a way to liberate ourselves afterwards, once we know more about this place.”

Toliudar
2020-08-17, 08:33 PM
Mama offers an expansive shrug.

"I don't think any of us are thrilled with the idea of being, well, occupied. But with garrisons and such they've probably got more soldiers than we've got chickens.

If we kill one of them, a few of them, it's a declaration of war. They come after us in force. Then we lose any kind of leverage over what they do and don't do in our town."

Thundercracker
2020-08-17, 09:09 PM
Mama offers an expansive shrug.

"I don't think any of us are thrilled with the idea of being, well, occupied. But with garrisons and such they've probably got more soldiers than we've got chickens.

If we kill one of them, a few of them, it's a declaration of war. They come after us in force. Then we lose any kind of leverage over what they do and don't do in our town."

Samuel

“They have no magic,” Samuel said, “if we charm the right people, we’ll be able to buy ourselves some time or autonomy, maybe both.”

JbeJ275
2020-08-19, 11:42 AM
All

In the morning they rouse you before dawn, leaving you with breakfast and clothes that fit beneath armour. Not long after they return, escort you to a carriage and set out east. You are accompanied by fifty soldiers on foot and fifteen horsemen, likely a somewhat depleted company. It takes a full day to travel back, giving you ample time to talk with the soldiers if you want to, if you try and write up a dictionary today though you can exchange a few words and learn a very primitive outline, but the bumps in the road make transcribing slow and Sunbul seems pre-occupied with other thoughts. The light is beginning to fade by the time you return, but illuminated spots around Emlin and various torches let you see most of the village's humans crowded around the square in front of the inn.

In front of the inn, on a small and recently constructed platform stands Samuel's father. The baron looks out over the convoy that approaches and looks at you with concern as you are escorted out of the carriage.

Toliudar
2020-08-19, 03:43 PM
Mama

En Route

Once Mama realizes that writing will be difficult and Sunbul preoccupied, she cozies up to another of the guards instead, and starts to use mime, gesture and repetition to build up an oral understanding of some basic terms. It would't make for a peace treaty, but it would help her signal a need to use the bathroom.

Back in Town

Mama seeks out the faces of her husband and children as the group makes their way toward the town square. She points out her sons and grandchildren excitedly to the guard she has befriended. The sooner that these strange new people come to see us as like them, the better.

I figure that with a day, a hundred words might be within reach in a day. I researched a couple of pidgin dialects, and you can build a lot on a few basic nouns and concepts. So if Mama can learn a list something like the following 80 words, it's a good start.

Air
And
Angry
Belly
Big
Boat
Boss
Cat
Child
Clothing
Come
Cow
Dirt
Do
Dog
Down
Drink
Eat
Eight
Fast
Fight
Fire
Five
Foot
Four
Friend
Give
Go
Hand
Happy
Head
Hello
House
Here
Horse
Hug
Hurt
I don’t know
Left
Less
Listen
Man
More
Nine
No
Not
One
Or
Please
Problem
Right
Sad
See
Seven
Sit
Six
Sleep
Slow
Small
Smile
Stand
Take
Ten
Thanks
There
Three
Today
Toilet
Tomorrow
Trouble
Two
Up
Wagon
Water
What?
Woman
Yes
Yesterday

Dimers
2020-08-21, 01:34 AM
En Route

Quiet throughout the ride, Emlin perks up a bit as the light dims and precious Citallon approaches. "It will be a delight to see the people we know again. I've felt so little opportunity to connect with the outsiders ... I had no idea how chasmic language can be! Even praying at my own humble altar takes on a new significance, now that I've been without it."

After a couple minutes of silence, he poses a question to his companions. "How do you think the baron would feel about pledging his allegiance to a new lord and resuming his responsibilities?"

Thundercracker
2020-08-21, 02:41 AM
Samuel Arvandor

“I’m not sure, but it’s easy enough to find out,” Samuel said, “I am curious to see how our new ‘friends’ will treat us, as well.”

Samuel calls out to his father as he exits the carriage, and walks quickly to him.

“Father. We’re in a tight spot,” Samuel said, “there’s a siege of a city not far from here, these are but a tiny fraction of the invaders’ force. They wish to make us their vassals, or subjects, but most importantly, they have no magic, at all. We should be careful not to let them know any more than they’ve seen already, lest they figure out it can be learned.”

Edit: “but first,” Samuel added, “you should probably meet the one who is acting as their ambassador for the time being, Sunbul.”

Samuel motioned for Sunbul to approach.

Evoker
2020-08-21, 09:52 AM
I'll cast Comprehend Languages to act as a one-way translator.

They don't speak Common, so I'll be acting as translator so that you can understand what he's saying. Unfortunately, complex communication back is probably impossible for the moment, although we can try to get across simple ideas.

JbeJ275
2020-08-22, 02:45 AM
Mama

While initially you receive mostly confusion eventually one guard, a fellow named Damad, becomes friendlier. He tries to engage in discussion several times and does end up helping you with your hope to get some words translated. You're not sure all of them were communicated clearly but you have at least a guess at all of them. The guard is a little to far back in the formation when you march into town for you to see how he reacted to the village but your hopes for building some trust are high.

All

The baron regards this all with a steely visage, he hears what Samuel says and though of course it bites hard at his pride he seems to not be outraged over his new position.

He also seems entirely unsuprised by the revelation that these people are without magic. Perhaps he learn't this some other way?
He greets Sunbul with a formal bow, and though your customs are quite different, Sunbul seems to recognise it for what it is. He then begins.

In the Name of the great Sultan Mehmed Han, Sovereign of The Sublime House of Osman, Sultan es Selatin, Khakhan, Commander of the faithful and Successor of the Prophet of the lord of the Universe, Custodian of the Holy Cities of Mecca, Medina and Kouds, Kayser-i Rum, Padishah of The Three Cities of Istanbul, Edirne and Bursa, and of the Cities of Châm and Cairo, of all Azerbaijan, of the Maghreb, of Barkah, of Kairouan, of Alep, of the Arab and Persian Iraq, of Basra, of El Hasa strip, of Raqqa, of Mosul, of Parthia, of Diyâr-ı Bekr, of Cilicia, of the provinces of Erzurum, of Sivas, of Adana, of Karaman, of Van, of Barbaria, of Habech, of Tunisia, of Tripoli, of Châm, of Cyprus, of Rhodes, of Crete, of the province of Morea, of Bahr-i Sefid, of Bahr-i Siyah, of Anatolia, of Rumelia, of Bagdad, of Kurdistan, of Greece, of Turkestan, of Tartary, of Circassia, of the two regions of Kabarda, of Gorjestan, of the steppe of Kipchaks, of the whole country of the Tatars, of Kefa and of all the neighbouring regions, of Bosnia, of the City and Fort of Belgrade, of the province of Sirbistan, with all the castles and cities, of all Arnaut, of all Eflak and Bogdania, as well as all the dependencies and borders, and many others countries and cities I announce that it is the will of his most faithful servant Gazi Hüseyin Pasha that Samuel Arvandor be appointed the Bey of this village of Citallon to rule in the name of his high majesty for all his days granted all privileges, duties and responsibilities associated with such rank and title.

How do you choose to pass this along?

Evoker
2020-08-22, 09:22 AM
I'll translate everything, but I will stop for a moment in shock when Samuel is appointed "Bey" and it is explained what that means. I'll also start to sound a little bored/tired after the first twenty titles or so, until the titles end.

Thundercracker
2020-08-22, 09:25 AM
A look of shock came over Samuel’s features.

“W-what?” he said, “are you sure that’s right?”

Toliudar
2020-08-22, 02:02 PM
Mama tries to stay still and dignified during the proceedings. Appointing Samuel made sense - he was authoritative, he'd lead the first contact, he hadn't exhibited any signs of being a witch, and he had a penis. He checked all the boxes.

She thought about the extent of the empire that they had just stumbled into. If even half of the titles weren't bull, it would be a very good idea to cosy up with these guys. She had been thinkng of trying to slip through the seige and try to help the other side, just to distract from Cirallon. But perhaps that was a lost cause.

[roll0]

Evoker
2020-08-22, 03:01 PM
Unless my spell is misleading me, and it never has previously, that's right, Samuel. Apparently they think you will be best for the administration of the village.

Dimers
2020-08-23, 01:46 AM
Emlin watches others' reactions as Ontor translates. Raising his eyebrows at the unexpected revelation, he recovers quickly and kneels to Samuel with grace. "Congratulations on your promotion, friend." He chuckles a moment as he stands. "I'll obey you, O Bey. Or your father as an appointed Grand Advisor, if you don't feel ready for the responsibility."

Toliudar
2020-08-23, 07:49 AM
Mama offered up what she hoped was a reassuring half-smile.

"Don't worry about it, kid. It's going to mostly boil down to listening to what our imperial overlords tell us, and telling everybody. Leastwise, for the time being."

Thundercracker
2020-08-23, 09:40 AM
Samuel

Still somewhat in shock, Samuel turned to Sunbul and bowed deeply.

JbeJ275
2020-08-23, 03:30 PM
Sunbul returns the bow, and speaks once again. Addressing Samuel directly though he knows only Ontor can understand him he says Now it would be most appreciated, Bey of Citallon, if you could find rooms for the officers here, and provide some food to keep the troops, while they assemble a more permeant camp and report to the seigeworks and Pasha. The request seems more rote that genuinly questioning and you imagine this is likely one of the responsibilities ascribed to you, in some way.

You do know you can, Citallon had a limited reserve but was always expected to tithe, if to someone else, with Mama's message they ought to be ready enough. Though supporting this many people long term is not so possible.

In terms of the people's mood, there is a distrust there, most of you are fairly well liked but not sufficiently so to avoid your return with what seems like an occupying army very very tense.

The baron steps back at the announcement, seemingly very thrown off. He swallows, then steps forward once again with a smile. I am sure you will do well, son. I don't know what awaits us here but I hope you can maintain the families honour leading us through it.

He then steps forward to whisper into Samuels ear.

Once your "freinds" have been sorted out meet me in my study, we have much to discuss. Those who journeyed with you may also need to come. He whispers, in a voice colder than that a moment before.

At this point he smiles again at the Ottoman soldiers, bows formally in a style similar to Samuels and shortly departs from the platform.

Ontor

You quickly pick out the faces of the militia members you spent many of your hours with. A few of the younger ones look somewhat awed as this is the first military force of this size to move though the village in years, carrying exotic weapons but with the same order. Others though look quietly furious, many of Heironeous' sermons display the ignobility in ceding without fighting due to only a small disadvantage and they do not seem ready to accept what has happened here.

Mama

Damad seems to be smiling at the Citallonites with some measure of warmth and your presence and grantee has ensured at least some Citallonites are returning this smile. Other smiles from the Ottoman troops tend to be less savoury, or to be absent entirely replaced with looks of general disgust towards many of the locals.

Emlin

You seem to have caught the eye of great number of people inside the Stumble Inn. first and foremost your own parents, but many people of the village are there to. They look at you with some concern, and perhaps a little confusion though no more than that is apparent.

Evoker
2020-08-23, 03:43 PM
I'll pull Samuel aside when it looks like he has a moment.

Sir? I think you should know that some of the militia seem to be upset at conceding without a fight, and I won't hide that I agree with them. However, if you'd like, I can try to calm them down.

Of course, if you plan on us getting into a fight in the near future, I could hold off on talking with them so that they are ready for a fight.

Toliudar
2020-08-24, 12:03 AM
Mama

After the whatever ceremony, Mama murmured to Emlin that she needed fifteen minutes, and then would check in to assist as desired. Seeking out her husband and children, there was a hurried round of hugs, reassuring phrases, and promises to catch up later.

She tries to use her extremely limited vocabulary to help the visitors get settled in at a set of human homes, and will offer to billet Damad at her own home, to overfeed him, lovebomb him with her rambunctious grandchildren, and gradually expand her understanding of Damad's language and culture.

And then...back to whatever was going on with Sunbul and the Baron.

Thundercracker
2020-08-24, 12:48 AM
Samuel

“Yes father, I will bring them, I think there is much to discuss in council,” Samuel replied “err, sorry about the whole ‘Bey’ thing, it was completely unexpected.”

Samuel will pass the word of the meeting with his Father to the others.

To Ontor:
“If we’re going to fight, it should be on our terms,” Samuel said, “right now, we’re completely unprepared; we don’t know our enemy, or if they even are our enemy. Make no mistake, I don’t think it’s right to roll over and give up everything without any resistance, but right now isn’t the time. Tell the militia to maintain readiness; we may need to forcibly expel the Pasha’s troops. If it does come to fighting, we’ll want it to be as bloodless for our people as possible.“

“My father is convening a council in his study, meet us there after you’ve spoken to the militia,” Samuel said.

Dimers
2020-08-24, 07:36 AM
After extracting himself socially and coordinating with Samuel and Mama Masala, Emlin heads to the Stumble Inn to catch up with his parents briefly. "Dad, Mom! It's so good to see you again! I know it's only been a few days, but I missed you intensely," he says while gathering them both in a big hug. "I'm sorry, I won't really have a chance to tell you about what's happened yet, the baron and his son need my presence in just a little while. But goodness, it's a strange world we've been dropped into! ... How have you both been?"

Evoker
2020-08-24, 10:13 AM
I'll talk to the militia members that seemed upset.
Look, I know you're upset at surrendering without a fight. I am too. But this land we've appeared in is being disputed over by two significantly sized empires. While I'm confident that, working together, we could defeat the soldiers they've sent so far, this is a tiny fraction of their power. The only way we can keep ourselves and the rest of the village safe is by accepting their protection. I know that's upsetting, but I'm sad to say that it's the truth, and I hope you trust me on this.

[roll0]

JbeJ275
2020-08-25, 08:34 AM
Ontor

Most of the militia members shoot somewhat sad or despondent looks after this remark but don't say anything to challenge it. Maria, one of the theoretical officers though says "I know we shouldn't throw away are lives on a fight we can't win, but you're sure this army is the better option? We have strength enough to fight them and we should be able to make a proper difference at least?

Mama

Damad makes faltering apologies in this language you're starting to understand, he says he would stay there but the soldiers must stay together in camp and he wishes to not offend either his fellows or to get in trouble by taking a privilege mostly seen fit for officers. He does say he will eat with you, and after a few glances towards the horizon says he should be able to do so very soon.

Emlin

We're fine Emlin. Your mother says. We've gone through worse than this before. I do hope you've been well though, we were very worried when we heard you'd chosen to go. Who are these people though? Don't tell the Baron but your father rode out of town one night and men in these same uniforms seemed... less than deserving of your goodwill. Are the rest of these men different?

Sam

With many of the others asking for delays you seem to have around fifteen to thirty minutes to deal with things. Would you go to your father and have the rest arrive slightly later or would you be sorting something out in the village?

Thundercracker
2020-08-25, 08:38 AM
Samuel

Sam inquired as to their food and water supplies. He wanted to know how long they would be self sufficient before they needed to rely on trade or crops.

Evoker
2020-08-25, 09:58 AM
We don't know that we can't make a difference, that's true. But if we conserve our strength, and wait for the right moment, perhaps we can be sure we can make enough of a difference that we don't have to bow to either army, and show we can protect ourselves. But for now, we just don't have enough information about where we are to be sure. It's better to prepare, and risk wasting some time, than it is to just charge forward blindly.

[roll0]

Dimers
2020-08-25, 04:17 PM
Emlin smiles, now on his home ground in more than one sense. "You know I hold that every person deserves goodwill. And good action isn't reserved only for those whose own behavior is nearly perfect -- they're the least in need of it! The people in this army are imperfect, it's true -- like you and me, and like Brett and Sami and Tojar and Toma," he says, listing a few of the people in town who have been moved by his steadfast example of goodwill and good action. "But they clearly have a sense for the holy, and I expect I'll do more good encouraging that than assuming each of them is incapable of change for the better."

JbeJ275
2020-08-29, 12:39 PM
All

Your meetings with concerned individuals quickly take on a pattern. People are worried about what this means and about who they are. All the people like this they've met so far have been close to violence, and don't know how to take the lack of their magic/ Already you hear the beginnings of rumours that they seek to take and imprison the mages from this village as well.

You have all to little time to deal with this though as soon you are drawn up to the manor house that Samuel and his father have called home. So far no Ottoman soldiers have proceeded this far and so you make your way in unseen and unquestioned.

The halls are fairly well appointed and have not changed since you've been away. The corridor to the baronial study is well maintained as ever and you can see a silhouette through the frosted glass of the door. Any knock or asked question is replied to by a hurried invitation to enter.

Inside you see the Baron sitting behind his desk, and next to him a tired looking man in fine silken robes. The man is clean shaven, with a fine tan and great wealth in jewellery around his fingers and neck. The Baron quickly speaks Ontor, do you have the spells to all Salvador de Gradi here to make his intent clear? It would be most helpful.

Evoker
2020-08-29, 12:48 PM
I do have a second casting of Comprehend Languages prepared, if you're willing to continue trusting my translation. It'll last for just over half an hour, so we won't have a long time to complete negotiations.

I'll cast Comprehend Languages.

JbeJ275
2020-08-29, 05:07 PM
Salvador quickly begins speaking after the spell is cast.

Hail. I am Salvador, captain in the Arsenal’s navy and freeman of the maritime republic. I was here to look out for attempts to resupply this island when your village appears, and so came to search for the answer. By Maria, I know you come from elsewhere, and little enough about you. I hope to explain myself to you and for you to hear me out fully. This island was invaded for no crime of it’s people and now only one city stands free from the empire. We offer them payment despite their lies if they will leave this land in peace but they demand this siege and blockade continue, I know not what you can do but please help us.

The baron hardly waits before responding.
Well, that at least gives us reason for his trespass. Though little more than that, he had indicated knowledge of this stands rulers. A shame it’s so hostile. Do you have anything to ask of him before is handed over?

Evoker
2020-08-29, 05:31 PM
Sense Motive regarding Salvador's speech?

[roll0]

Thundercracker
2020-08-29, 06:18 PM
Samuel Arvandor

“Let’s at least hear him out first,” Samuel said, “he is of this land and could tell us much. We have had many, many questions and only limited interaction with the locals. Plus he is of the other side from the so-called empire currently occupying our town; he could tell us more about both them and these ‘Venetians’. Once we know more, we can decide what to do.”

He motioned for Salvador to continue.

Toliudar
2020-08-29, 08:02 PM
Mama watched and listened carefully to this Salvator, but having no way to respond to him, simply thought about ways in which their village could navigate this new wrinkle.

[roll0]

JbeJ275
2020-08-30, 05:32 PM
Mama and Ontor

The man seems genuine and desperate. You can tell no more than that.

All

He continues.

I know all to little of what abilities you have, but I realise you have many. I know not your desires or your moral code but the council I represent will reward you richly for any aid you give. The occupiers here grow desperate as we still rule the sea, as the island cannot feed them nor support losses from brave rebels or attrition from the siege. We know where the next shipment will come, if you can aid us preventing their arrival we would do much for you.

Toliudar
2020-08-30, 08:42 PM
Mama leans forward, examining the man's face. Her own is quiet but hard.

"If these Venetians control the sea, then why would they need our help in blocking a suppy ship's arrival?"

Dimers
2020-08-30, 11:13 PM
Emlin's opinion of Captain Salvador drops steeply when he all but says outright that he doesn't care what kind of moral values Citalloners have as long as they agree to help. But the captain may not be representative of his own culture, and anyway, Emlin knows it's best to give the benefit of the doubt. "A good question, Mama. But how do we ask this man to elaborate? If we try the occupiers' language, he may know enough to understand us, but I doubt hearing it would put him in a talking mood."

Thundercracker
2020-08-30, 11:33 PM
Samuel Arvandor

“I assume the captain meant he and his crew personally knew where the next shipment would be, but had no way of getting word to his people,” Samuel said.

“Still,” he continued, nonplussed, “to create an item of comprehend languages, preferably two, before we commit to anything, would probably be prudent. It’s a bit costly but I think it will help immensely in negotiations and understanding the intent of people we’re parlaying with. In the meantime, we could keep this individual here as a guest while we discuss. I doubt he will want to go out with the garrison stationed just outside anyway.”

Toliudar
2020-08-31, 12:23 PM
Mama shrugged.

"We can try to create such magics, but how long will that take? And do you have what you need in order to make them? And my point was not that the people on board the ships needed to know when the others' supply ship was coming in, but that if supplies are getting past your patrols, you're not actually controlling the sea, are you? So these folks may HAVE ships, but that doesn't mean they have the advantage he's claiming."

Turning to the Venetian, Mama attempts to pantomime the basic questions 'where' and when.'

Thundercracker
2020-08-31, 08:14 PM
Mama shrugged.

"We can try to create such magics, but how long will that take? And do you have what you need in order to make them? And my point was not that the people on board the ships needed to know when the others' supply ship was coming in, but that if supplies are getting past your patrols, you're not actually controlling the sea, are you? So these folks may HAVE ships, but that doesn't mean they have the advantage he's claiming."

Turning to the Venetian, Mama attempts to pantomime the basic questions 'where' and when.'

“Two days each,” Samuel replied, “as for the supplies... it depends what we have in town, or what we’re able to find. I’ll add it to the list of things we need to determine.”

Toliudar
2020-08-31, 10:24 PM
Mama nods, thinking. She glances around at the others.

"Well, it's a barrel full of crap for all of us, if any of the whatsis, these Otto-men, get loose, and can tie us to whatever happens. Still, we're likely to need anything that they're shipping onto this island, and anything that weakens the stronger side in this squabble gives us more room to breathe."

She throws up her hands.

"If you decide to do this, I'll be ready to come with ya."

Thundercracker
2020-08-31, 10:56 PM
Samuel Arvandor

“Unless they start behaving aggressively, I think we should wait,” Samuel said, “getting thrust into the middle of whatever war is going on is going to result in casualties, and I’d rather avoid that if we can.”

Evoker
2020-08-31, 11:28 PM
As much as it pains me to deny a call for help, I'll follow your lead... until we can be sure that we won't endanger Citallion.

Thundercracker
2020-08-31, 11:53 PM
As much as it pains me to deny a call for help, I'll follow your lead... until we can be sure that we won't endanger Citallion.

“Yes it’s a call for help, but the ‘help’ is to intercept a supply ship, or tell people where to intercept a supply ship,” Samuel replied, “how many would die without the supplies? We have no way of knowing. Or perhaps the supplies are siege engines and many would die if they get through, once again, we have no way of knowing. I say we hold until we know more.”

JbeJ275
2020-09-01, 05:51 AM
All

He seems to recognise the indications of where and when and moves over to several charts laid out on the desk. He flips one over revealing a more detailed map of the island and points to a bay, marked with the word Bari. Then speaks. They come in eleven days.

He does seems capable of gauging the general mood of the conversation and he is seems wary, bracing himself for disappointment. He still stands unmoving though.

You believe you have enough magical components around the town that you could assemble these items or comprehend language.

Dimers
2020-09-02, 09:00 PM
"Your Lordship," Emlin says, addressing the Baron. "How long has this captain been here? Could he stay hidden another couple days while a translator item is crafted? We would benefit from being able to ask more about the situation and how we could aid it before firmly committing."

To Samuel, he adds, "We'll need to clarify how to address you ... 'Right Honorable' and all that."

Evoker
2020-09-02, 10:00 PM
My spell didn't include in the translation the honorific attached to "Bey". If one even exists.

Thundercracker
2020-09-02, 11:45 PM
Samuel

“Honestly, honorifics are a very distant priority after food, communication, security, and finding a way home,” Samuel replied, “let’s stick with tradition until it becomes an issue.”

Toliudar
2020-09-03, 12:07 AM
Mama

Mama rises a bit wearily. She nods to the Venetian.

"Well, this has been fun, but I can't think of anything else I can do here tonight. I'm going to keep trying to learn more of the Ottoman language. Who they are. Why they're here. Maybe one of you can start to do the same with Sailor Boy here."

With a smirk, she offers an extremely bad curtsey to Samuel.

"By your leave, oh great Bey."

JbeJ275
2020-09-03, 02:07 PM
For gaining a fuller understanding of the world and making initial choices about how to proceed you all gain 800 XP.

According to the Baron he's been here a day and a half and can likely be trusted to remain hidden. After all, given the number and variety of people here the Ottoman's could not be sure he wasn't a local even if they found him. He has been pointing out maps, charts and the like to the baron who has been planning while you were out doing diplomacy.

According to his calculations and reckonings, the most important farmland was the common and the fields closest to the villag,e many of which were transported with you and now lie to the south in this new world. Provided the ottoman's can be convinced to shrink the garrison soon, you are not required to tithe and Mama helps out a little with druid magic to prevent disease setting in you should be able to feed your people. The stew will certainly be a little thin but none will starve.

Mama

With at least some of the soldiers as interested in you as you are in them you begin to learn their language. There are some false starts as it seems many soldiers speak a different language among themselves, or even maybe several different languages among different groups but over the next few days you learn to string together some broken Turkish sentences. You also notice they never eat between dawn and dusk

You are also greeted by Sarah who has given birth to a healthy little girl, she seems frazzled by everthing but largely OK. Staying in and resting a lot as she tends to the little one.

Onotr

You spend the next four days scrounging together the components to put together the translation aids, and then if you so desire imbueing them with magic to aid understanding and comprehension. It is somewhat unremarkable compare to what came before but the objects you create may be key to many more paths.

Samuel and Emlin

You're a little more free to spend your time as you please, you notice the baron has avoided conversation regarding Samuels elevation unless confronted and for the most part continues to concern himself with his duties ensuring both that you're people break no rules and that none of the soldiers trespass to much.

Evoker
2020-09-03, 02:27 PM
Alright. Who will be paying the Debt of Soul [Or other Setting-appropriate, probably less cheesy, term for "XP cost"] required to imbue these items? I could accept it, or use a spell to transfer it.

Thundercracker
2020-09-03, 10:04 PM
Alright. Who will be paying the Debt of Soul [Or other Setting-appropriate, probably less cheesy, term for "XP cost"] required to imbue these items? I could accept it, or use a spell to transfer it.

“Wait, you can do that?” Samuel asked.

Evoker
2020-09-03, 10:18 PM
Of course. It's one of the more obscure spells provided by the gods, but give me a day to pray and I should be able to cast it just fine.

Toliudar
2020-09-03, 10:47 PM
Once Mama gets used to serving a large meal after sundown and getting up early to offer pre-dawn snack, she gets on quite well with the soldiers billeted with her, and is pleased to incorporate the guards into the everyday life of her chaotic household - including chores, if they'll let her. After all, the busier she can keep them, the less likely they are to notice the halfling family two houses over.

Mostly though, she is over the moon thrilled at the birth of Sarah's baby, and rains down kisses on her grand-children and daughters-in-law for taking good care of mother and daughter.

"Just think! This child is born of two worlds! It's a sign that great and exciting things will come to this girl, mark my words!"

I'm cool with ditching Sylvan and starting the process of learning Turkish, if that works for you. You can decide how fluently she can make herself understood in a given situation.

Dimers
2020-09-04, 10:34 PM
Emlin spends his less encumbered time the next couple days going from family to family, checking in on people's well-being and hearing what they have to say about their experiences so far in this new reality. In past times of difficulty or crisis, he's been quick to take on this role, aiding the diseased and injured, providing an open ear and a calming presence. As time permits or citizens demand, he also takes up the smithing hammer or helps with animals.

I don't have specific plans to implement. I'm happy to use my skills and abilities however I might be useful, while also performing an informal and untrained Gather Info: [roll0]

Besides the whole Stigmata shtick, I expect to be most valuable in spreading hope (Diplomacy +13 or +15), showing people they're understood (Sense Motive +9), or helping to direct or train animals (Handle Animal +11). Technically my only smithing skills are for armaments. Stigmata's hp curing and disease removal should work on people and animals both, and while my +3 Heal modifier isn't anything to shout about, it could at least let me recognize signs that a problem exists.

Thundercracker
2020-09-04, 11:09 PM
Of course. It's one of the more obscure spells provided by the gods, but give me a day to pray and I should be able to cast it just fine.

“Certainly would,” Samuel replied, “I’m the one who suggested them and will craft them, after all.”

Thundercracker
2020-09-06, 08:18 AM
Samuel Arvandor

If Father didn't wish to broach the subject of his coerced title, Samuel certainly wasn't going to bring it up. Over the next four days, he and Ontor worked on the magical items. Samuel crafted them into identical trinkets, a silver small clasp and chain which looped the ear, but didn't necessitate a piercing. When he wasn't working on the earrings, Samuel tried to get an idea of what their priorities were in this new land, to ensure they could survive long enough to find a way home. The most important thing was to determine a way to make decisions as a group, then move together as one. If everyone ran off on their own, they'd be picked apart.

Once they were done, Samuel went to find the Venetian captain. Before he spoke with anyone else, he wanted to get this fellow's story. And also make sure the earrings worked... he figured he had less to lose with a single individual contained in their dwelling...

anyone who wishes to be in the scene where we try out the items feel free to join.

Evoker
2020-09-06, 10:23 AM
(I'll be there. I have an interest in the communication with the captain, and I can double-check the results if we think that something may have gone wrong in the crafting process.)

Toliudar
2020-09-06, 03:27 PM
Perhaps Mama can throw a dinner for Sunbul and the Ottoman guards while the others confer at length with the captain.

Mama rises early every day, to offer a pre-dawn meal to the Ottoman guards in her home, then makes sure that they're paired up with either her husband or one of her sons for the day. With the need to break new ground, fence off pasture, and perhaps be ready to trade for more seed and livestock. It was going to be one f*ck of a year.

In the evenings, Mama pushed what energy she had left into language lessons with Sunbul or the guards, plying them with plentiful meals, and trying to introduce them to her daughter-in-law Penny's wheat beer and goldberry wine. Trying to learn about the men as individuals, their homeland and culture, to better gauge what they were like as people.

Once she felt confident in her first few hundred words, Mama tried to draw Sunbul into more complex conversations. Why was the Empire interested in this island? What was his role within the Imperial structures? What was he worried about but not talking about?

She tried, gently and in as friendly a manner as possible, to note that he seemed quite different than the military men around him, and that she enjoyed their talks. As a way to lay the groundwork for revealing the presence of non-human races in the town, she started to work in references and stories from their own world, about people who looked dramatically different than humans but who were wholesome, kindly folk nonetheless.

So, basically, three days of rebuilding the farming part of the farming community, and diplomacy checks with Sunbul. Most of her first level spell slots will go toward Wood Woses (to pick rocks from the new fields) and her second levels to Wood Shape (to make fence gates and sheds).

Diplomacy: [roll0]
Sense Motive: [roll1]

JbeJ275
2020-09-07, 07:32 AM
Mama

AS your understanding of their language increases so does your understanding of their culture and organisation. These seem to be garrison troops rather than primarily front line fighters those that can boast to have seen war before are generally looked on with an admiration that's eagerly accepted. They seem wary in this place, more exotic by far than what they were expecting.

They react poorly to your offer of beer or wine, seemingly offended by the offer. Eventually you learn that it goes against their religion's rules to drink alcohol, and even those that would normally be tempted refuse as it is apparently a time called ramadam when different rules apply. They become a little more insular after that, and less willing to chat.

Sunbul to seems very busy, but makes time for occasional talks. He seems very interested in your magic, though leaves the scene on one occasion after he sees you call a Woodwose. He answers your questions only in very broad terms, the empire was here to prevent it being used as a base to raid their other possessions, he was a bureaucrat of some kind with some links to civil, military and religious administration here but held no grand title.

He only occasionally has time ot hear your stories, but mentions that there are people unlike you in this world as well. As he continues though it becomes apparent they are just humans with cultural differences rather than other non-humans.

Emlin

Your days pass in a tense quiet but you are kept busy, some new disease does seem to be passing through the village, but it has little resistance to magical healing and spreads slowly enough to mostly be kept under control with your ability to cure it the moment symptoms first develop. As for the mood, many are worried and in need of understanding and reassurance but few have greater issues than that.

Ontor and Samuel

You go into your the Baronal office, for a few seconds you worry that Salvador fled but he soon emerges from a small space behind a bookshelf.
When offered the enchanted item he accepts, hesitantly dons it then looks on with confusion. What do you say to him?

Thundercracker
2020-09-07, 07:49 AM
Samuel Arvandor

“No time like the present to test them,” Samuel thought as he affixed the ear loop and clasp.

“Can you understand what I’m saying now, Captain?” Samuel asked.

JbeJ275
2020-09-07, 09:05 AM
His eyes widen as he hears you.

Ehhh, yes. Is this.... the..... magic referenced here?

He speaks very slowly and deliberatly when saying magic, as if the word is somewhat foreign to him.

Evoker
2020-09-07, 10:06 AM
Well. Does it seem to be working, Samuel?

Thundercracker
2020-09-07, 05:53 PM
Samuel Arvandor

Samuel smiles.

“Yes it’s working,” he said, “and yes, this is magic. The earrings will allow us to speak normally to one another. I must apologize for the delay, but we didn’t want there to be any miscommunication between us. Before we get down to business, is there anything you’d like to say, captain, that you haven’t been able to get across to us?”

diplomacy, improve attitude: take 10 for 33

JbeJ275
2020-09-09, 05:48 AM
Well, I am no fool. I see you are now with the Ottoman army among your village, i know that little can be done. If you have thrown your lot in with the invaders I ask that you at least allow me to go, bring news back to my crew. I would rather not spend the rest of this war in an Ottoman dungeon. And please, I know not where you are in the Turk's hierarchy but tend well to the Greek natives here will you? They deserve some refuge.

Thundercracker
2020-09-09, 06:13 AM
Samuel Arvandor

“To be perfectly frank, when we arrived here, the Turks were the first group we encountered,” Samuel replied, “they took us to see some sort of commander, whoever was laying siege to the holdout city on this island, and he instructed this detachment of soldiers to escort us back to our town. You could consider us an occupied territory.”

“I can’t speak for everyone, but my priority right now is to find a way to get back to where we came from, with as many of our people alive and unharmed as possible,” Samuel continued, “engaging in any kind of military adventurism would likely be detrimental to that goal. That being said, it’s looking increasingly unlikely we’ll actually be able to find a way back... so why don’t we start with the basics, what can you tell us about the Turks and the Venetians? Why are you fighting?”