PDA

View Full Version : New Homebrew Class PF

Raven Helcat
2020-07-05, 11:20 AM
I’ve created a new class, the Primal Druid, for the Pathfinder system. Feel free to take a look and tell me what you think.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eV4JVfeRRZgeW_0PUNISmR6DlpYFZd_KZBAt0lTIpLM/edit

This is the first time I’ve created a new class and the first time I’ve tried to post something like this. I apologize for any mistakes in advance.

Ramza00
2020-07-05, 11:53 AM
To access your Google Doc we have to request access.

Raven Helcat
2020-07-05, 12:21 PM
Thanks!! Should be fixed!

Raven Helcat
2020-07-06, 09:15 PM
To access your Google Doc we have to request access.

Is it accessible now? 😬

Zhorn
2020-07-06, 09:22 PM
Is it accessible now? 😬

it is accessible now.
for future posts, putting the details in your post directly as opposed to linking off site will prompts more people to read it over. half the time I find people just ignore link posts.
Formatting can be a bit tedious with tables and such, but that's the general price for getting more attention from the forums members.

aimlessPolymath
2020-07-06, 11:16 PM
Simpler spellcasting is a plus (though more uses wouldn't hurt at higher levels; maybe +1/2 level in uses?); Primal Soul's rules are ambiguous and seem to be inherited from Druid's baseline wildshape, but I don't understand how this line:

Primal Soul allows the Primal Druid to use the abilities/natural attacks/strengths and weaknesses while staying in his base form. Things like, claws, teeth, or using the Burn ability of a fire elemental, will obviously show, and skin may take on new composition as well.
is meant to vary from base wild shape.

Overall, this feels far more like a Druid archetype than its own class, and should probably be rewritten as such.

-Phoenix would be significantly out of line IMO as a Summon option- Firebird is fine (and gives a whole lot of options for healing as-is)

Raven Helcat
2020-07-08, 05:19 PM
Simpler spellcasting is a plus (though more uses wouldn't hurt at higher levels; maybe +1/2 level in uses?); Primal Soul's rules are ambiguous and seem to be inherited from Druid's baseline wildshape, but I don't understand how this line:

is meant to vary from base wild shape.

Overall, this feels far more like a Druid archetype than its own class, and should probably be rewritten as such.

-Phoenix would be significantly out of line IMO as a Summon option- Firebird is fine (and gives a whole lot of options for healing as-is)

Primal Soul is like Wild Shape+
It works exactly like Wild Shape, however you can also choose to keep your base form.
So, imagine using Plant Shape at 12th level. You get all the abilities (positive and negative) but in your human (or whatever) body. Hair could be leafy, skin could look bark-like, etc... Or when you can turn into a large earth elemental, except you keep your base medium size and shape. Pluses to Str, minuses to Dex, stoney skin, etc... Maybe think of it like the 3.5 Binder Class, it’s YOU, but you’re sharing the “soul” with an animal/elemental/plant.

Yeah, I agree with the Phoenix thing. Dripping with flavor, but also too much crunch! 🤓
And I’ll try to tweak the Primal Magic uses per day.
Absolutely open to suggestions on that!

aimlessPolymath
2020-07-08, 06:26 PM
Primal Soul is like Wild Shape+
It works exactly like Wild Shape, however you can also choose to keep your base form.
So, imagine using Plant Shape at 12th level. You get all the abilities (positive and negative) but in your human (or whatever) body. Hair could be leafy, skin could look bark-like, etc... Or when you can turn into a large earth elemental, except you keep your base medium size and shape. Pluses to Str, minuses to Dex, stoney skin, etc... Maybe think of it like the 3.5 Binder Class, it’s YOU, but you’re sharing the “soul” with an animal/elemental/plant.

Yeah, I agree with the Phoenix thing. Dripping with flavor, but also too much crunch! 🤓
And I’ll try to tweak the Primal Magic uses per day.
Absolutely open to suggestions on that!

Okay, that needs a bit of clearer crunch.

"When you assume a Wild Shape, you can choose to become a hybrid of your normal form and your chosen form instead of changing shape. When you do, you do not change size category, but your ability scores are changed as though you had changed to the size you choose. Additionally, your equipment does not meld with your new form as normal for polymorph effects."

And Primal Magic goes to 3 + Wis + Level, but spells of above level 5 require you to spend two uses instead of one.

Raven Helcat
2020-07-08, 07:13 PM

Okay, that needs a bit of clearer crunch.

"When you assume a Wild Shape, you can choose to become a hybrid of your normal form and your chosen form instead of changing shape. When you do, you do not change size category, but your ability scores are changed as though you had changed to the size you choose. Additionally, your equipment does not meld with your new form as normal for polymorph effects."

And Primal Magic goes to 3 + Wis + Level, but spells of above level 5 require you to spend two uses instead of one.

Yes! That is much more clear and concise. Thank you! And the Primal Magic mechanic is spot on.

Anything about the class feel over powered to you?