PDA

View Full Version : Guns

BigB
2020-07-05, 03:54 PM
Okay, so this has probably been done to death already, but I wanted to share my homebrew version of guns.

So, to start with, there are four types of guns: Pistols, Shotguns, Rifles and Snipers.
For stats, I basically reskinned existing ranged weapons.
A pistol does 1d6 Piercing damage and has a range of 30/120 and has the Light property. (So basically a Handcrossbow)
A shotgun does 1d8 Piercing damage and has a range of 80/320 and is a two-handed weapon. (So basically a Light Crossbow)
A Rifle does 1d8 Piercing damage and has a range of 100/400 and has the Heavy property and is a two-handed weapon. (So basically a Heavy Crossbow)
A Sniper does 1d10 Piercing damage and has a range of 150/600 and has the Heavy property and is a two-handed weapon. (So basically a Longbow)

Now for the ammo. It doesn't have physical ammo as such. Instead, there are these crystals with magical energy that you put into your gun. Each crystal allows you up to 6 shots of magical energy per long rest. Switching crystals in combat is a bonus action. These crystals can be found or created. They are uncommon magic items, as such, you'll rarely find them in shops in smaller towns, but you'll surely find them in shops in bigger towns and cities. Then there's the rarer crystals that on top of just doing piercing damage, they also give the shot elemental damage. For example there are red crystals that when used in a pistol that do 1d6 Piercing Fire damage.

Garfunion
2020-07-06, 10:19 AM
It all seems fine however, what kind of impact do guns have over the world that they will be introduced into? Are guns cheap enough for a commoner to possess? Or are they treated as a magic item seeing as how the ammo is treated as a magic item?

To me what you have created are wands that look like guns.

If you want my opinion I would replace the power crystal with runic bullets. You’ll have your basic runic bullets that are very cheap and then of course you will have your more elaborate runic bullets the provide additional magical effects.

Each of your guns will have a “cartridge“ that must be reloaded once the gun is out of ammo.

theVoidWatches
2020-07-06, 11:37 AM
Why is it necessary to mess with ammunition when you're just reskinning the existing ranged weapon stats? Rare ammunition will make guns underpowered compared to just using a bows, which presumably don't have rare ammunition, and can therefore be used more often.

Yakk
2020-07-06, 12:52 PM
A Rifle does 1d8 Piercing damage and has a range of 100/400 and has the Heavy property and is a two-handed weapon. (So basically a Heavy Crossbow)
A Sniper does 1d10 Piercing damage and has a range of 150/600 and has the Heavy property and is a two-handed weapon. (So basically a Longbow)
That damage is backwards for the "basically" and balance-wise.