PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Nun: Good Enough that Sometimes you forget that it's called "Warrior Nun."

John Cribati
2020-07-05, 07:25 PM
Okay, stop me if you've heard this one:

After waking up in a morgue,

Well, an interesting mystery I suppose.

an orphaned teen
Par for the course

discovers she now possesses superpowers
Well, she did wake up in a morgue, so I guess that makes sense...

as the chosen Halo-Bearer for a secret sect of demon-hunting nuns.

... It takes an impressive amount of skill to make a sentence that so immediately falls off the deep end, and I have to applaud it.

Point is, I was presented with a premise that was so incredibly nonsensical that I had to watch it, because there was no way this thing was going to take itself remotely seriously, and if the actors are having fun with it, I knew I would as well.

But then. I watched it, and I was loath to discover that, no. This ridiculously-named show was playing its increasingly ridiculous one-sentence premise entirely straight and attempting to create a serious drama out of it.

And then I'm even more confused, because you know what? It isn't half bad. In fact, it's, like, three quarters good!

Ava is a fun protagonist, there's lots of character-based drama to eat up, you keep getting pulled in multiple directions on who you can and can't trust, and the action isn't even half bad.

Solid recommend.

GrayDeath
2020-07-06, 09:59 AM
Yeah, discovwered it the last weekend totally by accident.

2 Episodes in and I have to say, its not a bad series at all.

In fact, its both better at the "look at it humorously" AND "take it seriously" than most CW Series which, to me without any reason except the name, keep getting more seasons.

So yeah, give it a shot. Its actually a nice watch (so far).

Hopeless
2020-07-06, 11:17 AM
Been watching the first episode.
Very curious so far wondering what the problem is with that nun that delivered her to them before her "reawakening".
Made me wonder who the bad guy was when the heroine comes across as initially far from deserving the wrath that nun seemed to demonstrate!

John Cribati
2020-07-06, 01:00 PM
So I finally got to the end...
Oof.

I'm not a big fan of the sudden bad guy angel. Or the cliffhanger ending. Really unsatisfying. Maybe it's like a Castlevania Season 1 thing and it'll continue.