PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for the Golden Archer

cupkeyk
2007-10-29, 03:59 AM
Okay, If you have read my post Help defending a cottage, we just killed enough redcaps to make us significantly rich fr our level. We are expectng abut six thousand gp each. Now I need advice on what I need to purchase, nt only now but throughout my career. The build is standard sct11rgr9 with manyshot, greater manyshot and swift hunter. Except I am a whispergnome.

my priority now seems to be a +1 enhancement to my bow, and a +2 gloves of dexterity.

As i go on what will I need?

Quiver of Ehlonna(can i have three arrow compartments instead of three compartments of varying sizes? Or is t assumed can use the other two compartments for shorter smaller object?)

Bracers of Archery(Greater, Lesser)

Enhancement to my mithral chain shirt

boots of striding and springing

and hmmmn, I still need things to occupy my head, eyes, neck, torso(vest), cape, rings. Dunno I am just giddy with the joy.

h and the surviving Thorns gave me a thorn longsword, what does that do? I get all the equipment of the fallen thorn. Leaf Armor, is that better than my mithral chain shirt? And a longbow.

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-29, 08:25 AM
Well, I'm pretty sure the Thorn longsword is just a Masterwork longsword and the Leaf Armor depends on what kind. If it is Darkleaf Breastplate, than it is much better than your current armor, otherwise it is not (probably a variation of leather).

cupkeyk
2007-10-29, 09:18 AM
Meh, we are in an FR campaign so I highly doubt if its anything other than leaf leather from Races of the Wild.

Rad
2007-10-29, 01:08 PM
If you're in FR you should really go for a splitting enchantment on your bow. Cost is a +3 bonus thoi, so a +1 splitting is a bit expensive right now. It is detailed in Champions of Ruin and doubles every arrow you shoot (that's right: double your attacks).
Broken? Yes, but if you have Batman and CoDzilla next to you I'd allow that to an archer if I were the DM.

cupkeyk
2007-10-30, 10:18 AM
awesome, I will enchant my bow a +1 now and save the rest of my redcap teeth for the thirty thousand gp to make it splitting.

Swooper
2007-10-30, 12:59 PM
Just want to point out that your Torso slot is taken by whatever armour you choose to wear, so you don't need a vest or something for that.

Amiria
2007-10-30, 01:06 PM
Just want to point out that your Torso slot is taken by whatever armour you choose to wear, so you don't need a vest or something for that.

Wrong, armors aren't on the "torso" slot, they are on the "body" slot. You can wear vests, shirts, etc just fine with armor. What doesn't work is robes with armor.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemsOnTheBody

cupkeyk
2007-10-30, 01:07 PM

Incorrect (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItems.html)

MAGIC ITEMS ON THE BODY

Many magic items need to be donned by a character who wants to employ them or benefit from their abilities. It’s possible for a creature with a humanoid-shaped body to wear as many as twelve magic items at the same time. However, each of those items must be worn on (or over) a particular part of the body.

A humanoid-shaped body can be decked out in magic gear consisting of one item from each of the following groups, keyed to which place on the body the item is worn.

* One headband, hat, helmet, or phylactery on the head
* One pair of eye lenses or goggles on or over the eyes
* One amulet, brooch, medallion, necklace, periapt, or scarab around the neck
* One vest, vestment, or shirt on the torso
* One robe or suit of armor on the body (over a vest, vestment, or shirt)
* One belt around the waist (over a robe or suit of armor)
* One cloak, cape, or mantle around the shoulders (over a robe or suit of armor)
* One pair of bracers or bracelets on the arms or wrists
* One glove, pair of gloves, or pair of gauntlets on the hands
* One ring on each hand (or two rings on one hand)
* One pair of boots or shoes on the feet

Of course, a character may carry or possess as many items of the same type as he wishes. However, additional items beyond those listed above have no effect.

Some items can be worn or carried without taking up space on a character’s body. The description of an item indicates when an item has this property.

Vest, Vestment, Shirt and Robe, Armor are separate slots. Meh, Ninja'd...

Keld Denar
2007-10-30, 01:28 PM
Exit Wounds upgrade from MIC is almost as good as Splitting, and considerably less cheesy. It allows you to continue the line of effect of your arrows and attack a 2nd target behind the first, with only a -4 penalty. You still get all your precision based damage though. That would let you pretty much drop any 2 targets standing in a line with a skirmish greater manyshot. The movement would help you line up your shots to take the greatest advantage of it. I think exit wounds also adds on a d6 of damage, but I'm away from books atm. Its cheaper than Splitting at only a +2 enhancement bonus, which means a +1 Exit Wounds bow would cost 18k as opposed to 36k.

I once saw a guy with a +1 Merciful Exit Wounds longbow. I kind of wonder how it works though....the arrow goes all the way through, but doesn't hit anything vital in the process? Now that's what I call sharpshooting!

Anklets of Translocation(MIC) are great items for scout types, and cheap. They let you teleport 10 feet 2x/d. Since you technically have moved 10ft, you get skirmish damage on a full attack. They are cheap so you can buy several, one for each encounter in a day.

cupkeyk
2007-10-30, 01:54 PM
Hmmmn, I think i will get splitting first, kill my first dragon and afford the 72000 gp i need to get a +1 splitting exit wounds longbow.

LOLz!!!!

Exit wounds actually exploits my mobility against multiple opponents because I can line them up. Thanks. And It is less likely to get shot down since CW is newer less esoteric than CoR.