PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Futuristic Weapons

D&D_Fan
2020-07-06, 01:50 PM
Newest version. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ney3KcVT41TwaeKCrkaBz-zURMsnssqsH0tN-_z9gEI/edit?usp=sharing)
Partially associated with age of warriors project.
Rules for futuristic weapons. No futuristic weapons are magic weapons, but in some settings, an futuristic weapon could be magic as well. Different types of futuristic weapons cannot overlap. All Characters can initially use future weapons, but suffer a (-10) penalty on all attack rolls with them, and cannot have proficiency with any future item. Characters that are proficient with the base weapon a future weapon is based on can use them with only a (-5) penalty, and still cannot become proficient with future weapons, even if they are already proficient with the base weapon the future item is based on.

Prerequisite: Intelligence 16
Characters with the Anachronaut feat defy time itself, and possess advanced knowledge of future technology. These characters no longer have any penalty with future tech items, and instead gain proficiency with them.

Plasma weapons change the damage type of the weapon to Searing Fire damage. It additionally deals an extra damage die of Desiccation damage included in the attack. Melee plasma weapons shed light in a 10 foot radius when activated.
A plasma weapon must be an explosive, firearm, or bladed weapon.

Laser weapons change the damage type of the weapon to Searing Fire damage. It additionally deals an extra damage die of Desiccation damage included in the attack. Ranged laser have double the range of the base weapon. Melee laser weapons shed light in a 20 foot radius when activated. laser attacks Ignore 2 points of AC from armor, and each successful hit reduces the benefit of said armor by 1. When the AC bonus is reduced to 0, the armor is destroyed. lasers always travel in a straight line when fired, meaning they cannot arc. Lasers will redirect if fired at a reflective surface.
A laser weapon must be a firearm, or bladed weapon.

Gauss weapons are the usual damage type for the weapon. Damage dealt by Gauss weapons is multiplied by four as part of the attack. Gauss weapons have twice the range of the base weapon. In addition, Gauss weapons deal an extra two damage dice of of Sonic damage, and an extra two of Fire damage as well.
A Gauss weapon must be a firearm.

Atomic weapons deal Searing Fire damage instead of the usual type. Damage dealt by atomic weapons is multiplied by eight as part of the attack. In addition, atomic weapons deal an extra three damage dice of of Sonic damage, and 2d4 Constitution damage
An atomic weapon must be an explosive, or firearm.

Antimatter weapons deal Untyped damage. Damage dealt by antimatter weapons is multiplied by 16 as part of the attack. In addition, antimatter weapons deal an extra four damage dice of of Sonic damage, and an extra four of Fire damage.
An antimatter weapon must be an explosive, or firearm.

Ammunition is required to use any firearm based future weapon. This ammo comes at a cost.

Plasma and Laser - Energy Cells - 5 thousand/each
Gauss - Sabot - 1 thousand/each
Atomic - Unique - 100 million gp/each
Antimatter - Unique - 1 quadrillion gp/each

Before you say that these are OP, yes they are. That is the point.
I had to actually nerf these from real world standards.
I want to make sure that these would be playable in 3.5e

Primal Fury
2020-07-06, 02:37 PM
Some of the terms you're using here are either a little confusing, or don't really exist in 3.5. You reference "Disadvantage" in the Anachronaut feat, but disadvantage isn't a thing in 3.5, so you'll need to explain exactly what that means.

Is Searing Fire damage different from regular fire damage? What is Crushing damage? What is Desiccation damage?

For laser weapons, ignoring AC entirely is probably too much. What I would suggest is... how did it go? Ignoring 2 points of AC from armor, then each successful hit reducing said armor by 1. When the AC bonus is reduced to 0, the armor is destroyed. Still a little OP, but not overwhelmingly so.

Also. These weapons should NOT have an auto-death save. Full stop. If you're going to multiply the base weapon damage on a REGULAR hit, that's not necessary, and neither is adding these magical properties. It already deals fire damage, it doesn't ALSO need to have the flaming burst quality.

And what is an "Untyped" saving throw?

D&D_Fan
2020-07-06, 02:58 PM
Some of the terms you're using here are either a little confusing, or don't really exist in 3.5. You reference "Disadvantage" in the Anachronaut feat, but disadvantage isn't a thing in 3.5, so you'll need to explain exactly what that means.
I will scrap that. Unless there is an alternative

Is Searing Fire damage different from regular fire damage? What is Crushing damage? What is Desiccation damage?
Searing fire is so hot that it ignore fire resistance, and reduces immunity to resistance. It is from a metamagic if I remember.
Desiccation is damage from lack of moisture in the body. It is from the Dessication spell originally
Crushing is just damage that is melee but should be separated from the other types. It is just like falling damage.

For laser weapons, ignoring AC entirely is probably too much. What I would suggest is... how did it go? Ignoring 2 points of AC from armor, then each successful hit reducing said armor by 1. When the AC bonus is reduced to 0, the armor is destroyed. Still a little OP, but not overwhelmingly so.
That is a good idea! I might use it!

Also. These weapons should NOT have an auto-death save. Full stop. If you're going to multiply the base weapon damage on a REGULAR hit, that's not necessary, and neither is adding these magical properties. It already deals fire damage, it doesn't ALSO need to have the flaming burst quality.
I see now. You are right. Most of them are powerful enough without autodeath anyway. Also, yes, I suppose flaming burst is redundant. I just added it since the other two had it. I will fix the whole thundering and flame burst, but the effects may still be there.

And what is an "Untyped" saving throw?
I came up with it. You don't add modifiers unless the modifiers would apply to all saves regardless of type. It is intentionally really hard to pass. You would have to get lucky.

Elves
2020-07-06, 03:07 PM
Advantage and disadvantage are simple and make sense, IMO it's fine to back-port them into 3e.

The desiccation damage is extremely niche, I'd just make it untyped.

The "untyped" saving throws would probably be Fortitude saving throws, but if you want to use untyped, you should explain the rules for it.

Multiplying damage is weird, just make it do higher base damage if that's what you want.

Hm, I know Primal doesn't like the antimatter SOD sticks but I think for antimatter it makes sense. Don't have them be save or die and also have multiplied damage though. Probably remove damage entirely and just have it be SOD, 6d6 damage even on successful save.

Agree with Primal that trying to incorporate enhancements like flaming burst into this doesn't make sense.

D&D_Fan
2020-07-06, 03:09 PM
I updated some stuff, will update more.

Update: it is fixed.

D&D_Fan
2020-07-06, 03:18 PM
Also, Desiccation should not be Untyped.
Here's why
I based it off of the extreme heat of the attacks.
Whenever liquids get hot, they evaporate.
The gases try to escape.
Then you can explode.
That is how the BFG works.
I think.
Science.

Any creature that lacks moisture altogether (such as a construct) is unaffected.
Plants and some elementals are double effected.
Science.

D&D_Fan
2020-07-06, 03:28 PM
Hm, I know Primal doesn't like the antimatter SOD sticks but I think for antimatter it makes sense. Don't have them be save or die and also have multiplied damage though. Probably remove damage entirely and just have it be SOD, 6d6 damage even on successful save.

I realized that Antimatter was already overkill beyond broken, so I axed it.
Examples:
Average hit with with a 3d8 damage rifle.
192 untyped +16 sonic +16 fire = 224 damage (416 with critical)
This isn't considering that it affects all creatures in a 240 foot radius. Update, removed the radius.
Antimatter will still 2-shot a tarrasque.

loky1109
2020-07-07, 04:40 AM
What is bladed Laser???
And No, SW swords are not Laser actually.

Why Gauss Weapons do extra sonic and fire damage?

Atomic and Antimatter firearm? Seriously? Atomic Glock? Antimatter AK-47?
They should be explosive only.

D&D_Fan
2020-07-07, 07:01 AM
What is bladed Laser???
And No, SW swords are not Laser actually.

Why Gauss Weapons do extra sonic and fire damage?

Atomic and Antimatter firearm? Seriously? Atomic Glock? Antimatter AK-47?
They should be explosive only.

A bladed laser is supposed to be a lightsaber. If lightsabers aren't laser, does it matter? I tried to be science heavy with stats. But you know everyone wants to have a lightsaber. And fun is an important gameplay element.

When you get hit with something that fast, I figure there is going to be an explosion. I saw it in a video of a demonstration of a railgun. Those things light stuff up.

Yes you can have antimatter and atomic firearms. I was inspired by the Fatman from Fallout. It fires a mini nuke. Antimatter bullets could also exist, although they would be expensive as multiple entire countries. Both could exist, so why not, you can snipe an enemy and watch them be destroyed in a massive explosion.

D&D_Fan
2020-07-07, 07:18 AM
More weapons!
These ones are supposed to be really fun!
This time I explored ability score damage.
I was going for an alien theme.
This is a version 2 list.

Manmelting weapons change the damage type of the weapon to Acid damage. It additionally deals an extra 1d4 Constitiution damage. Manmelting attacks Ignore 2 points of AC from armor, and each successful hit reduces the benefit of said armor by 1. When the AC bonus is reduced to 0, the armor is destroyed.
A manmelting weapon must be a firearm.

Mindmelting weapons change the damage type of the weapon to Untyped damage. It additionally deals an extra 1d4 Intelligence damage and 1d4 Wisdom damage. Mindmelting attacks Ignore 4 points of AC from armor.
A mindmelting weapon must be a firearm.

Zapping weapons change the damage type of the weapon to Lightning damage. It additionally deals an extra 1d4 Strength damage and 1d4 Dexterity damage.
A zapping weapon must be a firearm.

All weapons use energy cells.
I used Untyped damage for the Mindmelter since there is no psychic/mental damage.
The original model that I wrote these weapons onto was laser.

Thoughts?

D&D_Fan
2020-07-07, 07:21 AM
Would it be a good idea to remove AoE effects for these. I think it would make it more fair. Maybe less broken.
An Atomic Glock would damage all enemies in a 120 foot radius sphere. I think I should remove them.

What do you guys think?
Also, should atomic do Con damage?

Uppdate, I made the above changes.
Note that all ability score damages will be in d4s, and only a few at once, since many weapons have larger damage dice.

Primal Fury
2020-07-07, 10:36 AM
I feel like there should be a stronger balancing factor against these weapons. Making them prohibitively expensive doesn't feel right, and putting the user in danger also feels like too much. Maybe some sort of charge time before it's fired?

D&D_Fan
2020-07-07, 10:53 AM
I feel like there should be a stronger balancing factor against these weapons. Making them prohibitively expensive doesn't feel right, and putting the user in danger also feels like too much. Maybe some sort of charge time before it's fired?

For energy cell weapons, you might have to recharge energy cells after use, and that could take some time. I think this is probably the best option.

Version 3
Energy cells are used to power futuristic tech. There are a few different kinds of energy batteries.

Cost - 5 thousand gp/1
Weight - 5lbs/~2kg
Hardness - 10

Basic energy cells count as a full clip for any weapon that takes them. Once it is expended, it must charge for 1 hour before it can be used again. If destroyed it acts as an Atomic grenade and detonates the next round.

Cost - 15 thousand gp/1
Weight - 20lbs/~9kg
Hardness - 15

Heavy energy cells count as five full clips for any weapon that takes them. Once it is expended, it must charge for 3 hours before it can be used again. If destroyed it acts as an Atomic grenade and detonates the next round.
None of the future weapons are really dangerous to the user. I got rid of AoE. Before that, if you wielded an Atomic Glock, and shot a nearby (30ft.) enemy you would be incinerated by the massive explosion. Now that isn't a risk.

D&D_Fan
2020-07-07, 01:48 PM
Appearance of rays when fired, and how they work
Flavor reasons.

Manmelter - Crackling sickly green bolt - Causes target to melt into a puddle
Mindmelter - Purple rings - No visible effect, brain becomes liquid
Zapper - Electric blue bolt - Leave target unable to move

D&D_Fan
2020-07-07, 04:32 PM
I am thinking of doing a major rework of all weapons. That would be tomorrow

D&D_Fan
2020-07-08, 06:58 AM
Since I am redoing everything I think I will make a new thread, does that sound ok?
I really need an answer.
Maybe not.

Nah.

D&D_Fan
2020-07-08, 08:20 AM
Weapons of the Far Future 2 - Rebooted
Everything before this is retconned.

This is currently Version 3

Unusual Damage
Lasers deal Searing Lightning damage instead of the usual damage type. It does not electrocute. It instead slices through objects, and vivisects enemies.
Armor Cutter
Lasers ignore 2 points of AC from armor, and each successful hit reduces the benefit of said armor by 1. When the AC bonus is reduced to 0, the armor is destroyed.
Beam
Lasers always travel in straight lines, and will redirect when fired at a reflective surface.
You get an extra -10 to your Hide check to hide while firing a Laser Weapon, and any creature that see the target being shot can guess at the general direction from whence the shot came.
Weapon Prerequisites
Laser weapons can only be crossbows, or firearms.
Futuristic Masterwork
The stats above are for a non-masterwork Laser Weapon. Wielding masterwork futuristic weapons provides a +2 enhancement bonus on attack rolls. Unfortunately, they are very delicate, reducing their Hardness by 2, and and they are instantly destroyed by immersion in salt water, mud, sand, or similar similar substances.

Unusual Damage
Plasma deal Searing Fire damage instead of the usual damage type.
Weapon Prerequisites
Plasma weapons can only be firearms.
Futuristic Masterwork
The stats above are for a non-masterwork Plasma Weapon. Wielding masterwork futuristic weapons provides a +2 enhancement bonus on attack rolls. Unfortunately, they are very delicate, reducing their Hardness by 2, and and they are instantly destroyed by immersion in salt water, mud, sand, or similar similar substances.

Unusual Damage
Heat rays deal Scalding damage instead of the usual damage type. This is because they heat up all moisture in a living creature, effectively microwaving them like a flesh burrito.
Beam
Heat Rays always travel in straight lines, and will redirect when fired at a reflective surface.
You get an extra -10 to your Hide check to hide while firing a Heat Ray, and any creature that see the target being shot can guess at the general direction from whence the shot came.
Weapon Prerequisites
Laser weapons can only be firearms.
Futuristic Masterwork
The stats above are for a non-masterwork Heat Ray. Wielding masterwork futuristic weapons provides a +2 enhancement bonus on attack rolls. Unfortunately, they are very delicate, reducing their Hardness by 2, and and they are instantly destroyed by immersion in salt water, mud, sand, or similar similar substances.

Ability Score Damage
Death Rays deal Constitution damage instead of the usual damage type. This makes them extremely dangerous.
Beam
Death Rays always travel in straight lines, and will redirect when fired at a reflective surface.
You get an extra -10 to your Hide check to hide while firing a Death Ray, and any creature that see the target being shot can guess at the general direction from whence the shot came.
Weapon Prerequisites
Laser weapons can only be firearms.
Futuristic Masterwork
The stats above are for a non-masterwork Death Ray. Wielding masterwork futuristic weapons provides a +2 enhancement bonus on attack rolls. Unfortunately, they are very delicate, reducing their Hardness by 2, and and they are instantly destroyed by immersion in salt water, mud, sand, or similar similar substances.

Unusual Damage
Manmelters deal Searing Acid damage instead of the usual damage type. Targets killed by a manmelter melt into puddles of goo.
Armor Melter
Manmelters ignore 2 points of AC from armor, and each successful hit reduces the benefit of said armor by 1. When the AC bonus is reduced to 0, the armor is destroyed.
Weapon Prerequisites
Manmelters can only be firearms.
Futuristic Masterwork
The stats above are for a non-masterwork Manmelter. Wielding masterwork futuristic weapons provides a +2 enhancement bonus on attack rolls. Unfortunately, they are very delicate, reducing their Hardness by 2, and and they are instantly destroyed by immersion in salt water, mud, sand, or similar similar substances.

Price - Future / 500 gp* / 1
Weight - 10 pounds
Hardness - 15

Futuristic firearms are powered by a special type of ammunition called energy cells. An energy cell contains enough power for all the shots its firearm can make before being depleted. When an energy cell has been depleted, it must charge for 8 hours in sunlight before it can be used again. It can also be charged in fore for 1 hour.
*May be worth more depending on the time period, and setting.

D&D_Fan
2020-07-08, 08:35 AM
@Age of Warriors people If you need a quote or catchphrase for the futuristic items section.
"It's about time."

D&D_Fan
2020-07-08, 11:23 AM
I will be rewriting the weapons to match a 3.5e style of writing closer.
I may also change the damage type of laser.
Just letting you know in advance

D&D_Fan
2020-07-08, 01:24 PM
I will soon add the Vibe Blade Weapon

It vibrates so fast it can cut through anything.
It has Super Searing which reduces even immune to normal, and resistant to vulnerable.
It also has super cutter, which rapidly degrades armor.

D&D_Fan
2020-07-08, 01:26 PM
Also, all stuff has been moved to a doc, soon to be pdf.
Here it is! (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ney3KcVT41TwaeKCrkaBz-zURMsnssqsH0tN-_z9gEI/edit?usp=sharing)

Caelestion
2020-07-09, 06:54 AM
Lasers burn things - why do you have them doing electrical damage?

Vibro-weapons are bladed weapons, which is typically resisted by damage reduction rather than energy resistance or immunity.

D&D_Fan
2020-07-09, 07:02 AM
Vibro blades ignore any immunity, resistance, and damage reduction.

Lasers are light which is electromagnetic I think. Also, It is hard to find a suitable damage for laser. There is no radiant damage.

Caelestion
2020-07-09, 08:47 AM
Light is part of the electromagnetic spectrum, yes, but lasers still burn things, whether that's skin or retinas. You mention that they cauterise wounds, which is also an application of heat, rather than electricity.

If you intend vibro-weapons to ignore DR, then you should make that obvious.

Also, why are there no plasma melee weapons? How can I be a space-wizard without my energy blade? :smallsmile:

D&D_Fan
2020-07-09, 09:06 AM
Ok, should I make lasers heat damage then?

Also, someone complained that light and plasma swords shouldn't be a thing, and I said lightsabers, and they said that lightsabers weren't laser, but I just went to Wookiepedia, and it said yes.

So I don't know.
This is supposed to be realistic though.
A plasma sword would just be a realy long plasma torch in the end.

D&D_Fan
2020-07-09, 09:12 AM
Made some changes. fixed damage.
Axed communicator and vibro blade, and they may be re added at a later date.

Laser and heat ray are basically the same, but laser can cut through armor. That's it.
That and different rp flavor.

King of Nowhere
2020-07-09, 10:08 AM
they look very underwhelming for future weapons.
and what would be the practical difference from heat ray and laser? what is a "death ray"? or a "manmelter"?

i actually liked much better the first iteration

D&D_Fan
2020-07-09, 10:23 AM
Look, I made some really powerful in the beginning.
Lasers used to be able to instakill (with save) targets under 50 hp.
Antimatter(now gone) could would kill all targets in a 240 foot radius sphere. Any survivers would still take 400-700 damage.
I will make them more powerful.

3.5e has gun stats as well. Those have to be read first because these futuristic weapons build off of the modern ones.

D&D_Fan
2020-07-09, 10:43 AM
New update on the google doc.
This is a repost of the link as well. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ney3KcVT41TwaeKCrkaBz-zURMsnssqsH0tN-_z9gEI/edit?usp=sharing)

D&D_Fan
2020-07-09, 02:14 PM
Made another update cut a lot of content.
I will add and re add more.

Caelestion
2020-07-09, 07:57 PM
I would suggest explicitly including the base weapon to which you're applying these various damage types.

D&D_Fan
2020-07-09, 08:09 PM
The whole thing is a dynamic rework of the futuristic weapons in the dmg. I don’t know if Age of Warriors is using those weapons, and I don’t know if this project is still linked to AoW. I will find out more

loky1109
2020-07-14, 10:41 AM
A bladed laser is supposed to be a lightsaber. If lightsabers aren't laser, does it matter?
Of course it does!
Lightsabers are Plasma Weapons.

And fun is an important gameplay element.
There is no fun if there is no suspension of disbelief.

Yes you can have antimatter and atomic firearms. I was inspired by the Fatman from Fallout.
Fatman from Fallout isn't a firearm. It is a missile launcher.

Both could exist, so why not, you can snipe an enemy and watch them be destroyed in a massive explosion.
Antimatter maybe (let's not even mention tech lvl of it), but atomic - No. There is minimum mass of fissile materials.

And... What do you think, why nobody manufactures hand-held firearms with explosive bullets?

D&D_Fan
2020-07-14, 02:03 PM
OAnd... What do you think, why nobody manufactures hand-held firearms with explosive bullets?

There are war agreements about explosive and incindiary bullets

loky1109
2020-07-17, 10:32 AM
There are war agreements about explosive and incindiary bullets
War agreements regulate only war weapons, not civilian or hunting weapons.

And I was wrong. Explosive bullets are manufacturing.

D&D_Fan
2020-07-17, 10:53 AM
I think laser should be Wounding Electric.
Or Searing Fire.
Maybe just Untyped.
Which one would fit best?

Plasma is Searing Fire.

For antimatter, Constitution since it is annihilating entire chunks of target on a hit.

Is this good?
Any damage types you would change?

PairO'Dice Lost
2020-07-17, 01:15 PM
There's not really a good reason to go inventing a bunch of new damage types for these weapons, or to make the weapons ridiculously lethal. It's not an issue of them being "OP," just a matter of not fitting in with similar effects already in 3e.

Lasers and plasma shouldn't be searing or untyped; fire elementals, red dragons, and other (Fire) creatures can go swimming in lava with no ill effects, and lasers and plasma aren't all that scary by comparison. Scorching ray is basically lasers, and those are just 4d6 fire.

Antimatter shouldn't do tons of Con damage; a disintegrate that isn't instantly lethal merely does 5d6 damage and even a commoner with a few levels under their belt can theoretically survive that. The antimatter rifle in the DMG just does 6d10 untyped--impressive, yes, and the most damaging nonmagical weapon ever printed, but not "minimum 16d6 untyped + 4d6 sonic + 4d6 fire, no save" impressive. Similar objections apply to gauss and atomic weapons; they're just not that ridiculous level of scary to deserve all the extra dice and Con damage.

As for the attack penalties, those don't make sense at all. A gun, to a D&D character, is basically a wand that you can trigger like a crossbow. Crossbows gained popularity due to how easy they were to operate, and anyone familiar with a wand would know how to aim a "crossbow" without any projectile drop, so futuristic ranged weapons should fall under Simple proficiency with no special penalties, or Martial at worst if they have considerable recoil or something. Futuristic melee weapons would have different handling and safety considerations compared to normal ones, but a flaming longsword or brilliant energy greatsword is as dangerous to touch and awkward to wield as any plasma or laser sword, and since the magic versions don't impose any sort of attack penalty, neither should the technological ones.

In short, this entire project seems to be written assuming a setting of Stone Age primitives with no experience with magic or any weapons more complex than clubs and whose strongest warriors are as durable as real-world civilians, not a D&D setting where an antimatter rifle isn't the weirdest "magic item" an adventurer has seen in the past week much less a lifetime and powerful adventurers can take a rift in spacetime to the face and walk it off.

I think you should go back to the drawing board and figure out why you want to rework the DMG versions of these weapons. If it's just "OMG a reailstic antimatter weapon would totally obliterate everything!!!" then all you're doing is throwing big numbers and special snowflake damage types at the wall and there's not much point. If it's "I want nonmagical weapon options that scale like magic weapons and 'future tech' is a good rationale," then all the extra constraints and wonkiness are more harmful than helpful. If it's something else, you should figure out what unique thing the futuristic weapons bring to the table and focus on that.

Sinner's Garden
2020-07-17, 01:35 PM
I think laser should be Wounding Electric.
Or Searing Fire.
Maybe just Untyped.
Which one would fit best?

Plasma is Searing Fire.

For antimatter, Constitution since it is annihilating entire chunks of target on a hit.

Is this good?
Any damage types you would change?

Lasers should do fire type damage. Plasma should also do fire type damage. If you really need it to be untyped for some reason, then don't give it a type at all (lightsabers, notably, are described as "pure energy" at least once, which is just magic), but a standard fire fire gun deals fire damage and gets waffled by anti-fire magic. That's not a design flaw for you to work around by inserting enough words that you can baffle the rules. Antimatter, for that matter, does probably untyped damage. It doesn't do CON damage. It just doesn't work as well (that is, as an instant kill) against supernaturally tough freaks of nature like anyone you'd read about in a fantasy story.

I mean, do you think Roland who could literally kick cattle over mountains in the buff, or Gawain who would get into slug-out matches where he traded sword wounds from dawn to dusk (or even dusk to noon) would be significantly hampered by that when they're fine sailing through the afterlife and getting stomped on by giants? I'm hammering this point home here because I think you're under a strange impression that future tech should be vastly more powerful than magic because it's more advanced or something.

D&D_Fan
2020-07-17, 07:33 PM
@SG why don’t you try to make some templates?

D&D_Fan
2020-07-18, 01:42 PM
If you want to focus on mechanics, this is my upcoming plans.

All future weapons:
Ignore resistance and immunity. - Future Damage
Run on energy cells. - Ammunition
Not considered magic. - Amagical
Expensive to enchant. - Amagical
Extra bonuses and damage. - Future Damage
Susceptible to break/malfunction.
Weapon restrictions.

Lasers:
Shoots only in straight lines. - Laser
Shots reflect off of certain surfaces - Laser
Easy to track. - Laser
Can cause blindness. - Future Damage

Plasma:
Can light things on fire. - Future Damage

Antimatter:
Some sort of extreme damage?ability to instakill - Future damage

D&D_Fan
2020-07-22, 10:42 AM
Well, I updated the page, and did a complete rewrite.
Page here.
(https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ney3KcVT41TwaeKCrkaBz-zURMsnssqsH0tN-_z9gEI/edit?usp=sharing)

D&D_Fan
2020-07-22, 08:51 PM
Anyone have ideas for rules for weapon malfunction, and how that could work?

D&D_Fan
2020-07-27, 11:48 AM
I updated the doc with an explanation of how to use the templates, and some weapons made with the templates:
Statted weapons:
Flamethrower
Gauss rifle
Laser pistol.

D&D_Fan
2020-07-28, 12:35 PM
I felt like making this
Gauss Shotgun Cannon
Damage
4d6 (small) - 4d8 (medium)
Damage type
Piercing (armor cutter, exit wound)
Critical modifier
×2
Range increment
150 ft.
Weight
7 lb.
A shotgun is most effective at close range;
on any successful attack, a –1 penalty is applied to the damage roll for each range increment of the attack.
It can fire six times before it needs reloading (which requires a full-round action).
The weapon uses shotgun shells.
Alternate Fire
Slashing (armor cutter, exit wound)
The cannon fire flechettes instead of shells.

This one feels fun and not broken.