PDA

View Full Version : The Best Ranger's Companion?

Euclidodese
2020-07-06, 05:00 PM
I was searching a D&D monster database for all the creatures that fit the criteria for Ranger's Companion (Tiny, Small or Medium - Beast - CR 1/4 or lower) and I saw a result that I'd never even heard of and I'd never seen being mentioned in any handbook...

Deep Rothe.

In Volo's Guide to Monsters there are stats for cows. Cows are CR 1/4 and have a pretty amazing attack... but they're unfortunately Large, so can't be used as companions.

Except for a stunted Underdark cow breed called the Deep Rothe, which is size Medium, has lower hp (which doesn't matter) 60ft darkvision and can cast Dancing Lights at will. (The best spell.)

Other than that, it has the same stats as a regular cow.

The cow has a +6 to hit with it's Gore attack, which does 3d6+4 when the cow has moved 20ft during that turn.

And since you add your proficiency to your companion's attack and damage rolls, that means that at level 3, the Rothe has +8 to hit and does 3d6+6 damage!

You can even ride on it if you're a Gnome, Halfling, etc and you can use the Mounted Combatant feat to stop it from getting hit. (It's AC is 10+Profficiency.)

So, what do you guys think, is this so good it makes Beastmaster god-tier, or is it the worst thing since unsliceable bread?

Hruken
2020-07-06, 05:35 PM
I have a svirfneblin beast master with one of those that I want to play at some point for the very same reasons you listed here.

It is not enough to make the beast master good, but it is a good choice.

greenstone
2020-07-06, 07:03 PM
Isn't the best ranger companion "the rest of the party"?

Seriously, though, the best companion is probably a flying creature that you can ride.

sulimo0310
2020-07-06, 07:11 PM
Isn't the best ranger companion "the rest of the party"?

Seriously, though, the best companion is probably a flying creature that you can ride.

Second this. The Pteranodon in particular is good with a small beastmaster to use as a mount. 60 ft fly speed and flyby are AWESOME. Pair it with a Kobold Ranger for always on pack tactics and you can't go wrong.

pr4wn
2020-07-06, 07:26 PM
Second this. The Pteranodon in particular is good with a small beastmaster to use as a mount. 60 ft fly speed and flyby are AWESOME. Pair it with a Kobold Ranger for always on pack tactics and you can't go wrong.

Don't forget to give your Kobold a lance...

-pr4wn

Wizard_Lizard
2020-07-06, 11:13 PM
Giant crab is nice because of the AC

Composer99
2020-07-07, 09:15 AM
I won't say it's the best, but one of my players is playing a goblin who will have a giant wolf spider (medium size, CR 1/4) for a companion. Which is cool and reminds me strongly of the spider riders from Warhammer.

NaughtyTiger
2020-07-07, 09:20 AM
flying snake
stirge -> if they hit, they get a free 5pt damage on the next 2 turns. can use its action to disengage and fly away...

ImproperJustice
2020-07-07, 09:05 PM
Giant Poisonous Snake:

Has reach, deadly bite attack plus deadly poison, and can harvest said poison if DM is on board, to do lots and lots of damage.

It can also swim, climb, and sneak, and has blindsight too for good measure.

If playing revised give it the Sentinel Feat to control an area.

sulimo0310
2020-07-07, 09:24 PM
Giant Poisonous Snake:

Has reach, deadly bite attack plus deadly poison, and can harvest said poison if DM is on board, to do lots and lots of damage.

It can also swim, climb, and sneak, and has blindsight too for good measure.

If playing revised give it the Sentinel Feat to control an area.

I mean any creature with appropriate limbs can climb with a STR (Athletics) Check. Same as Giant Poisonous Snake. If you meant an innate climb speed, it lacks that. For what it's worth it also lacks stealth proficiency but it's plus 4 Dex mod helps some in that regard. No bonus to Str however so it will be a lackluster climber. Reach and good poison damage are all pluses, but the Save DC for the poison is low (DC 11), requires a Con save to resist (the most likely to be high save in the MM) and uses the most resistant damage type in the game. I feel it's OK, and flavorful for sure, but highly overrated as a companion.

ImproperJustice
2020-07-07, 10:30 PM
I mean any creature with appropriate limbs can climb with a STR (Athletics) Check. Same as Giant Poisonous Snake. If you meant an innate climb speed, it lacks that. For what it's worth it also lacks stealth proficiency but it's plus 4 Dex mod helps some in that regard. No bonus to Str however so it will be a lackluster climber. Reach and good poison damage are all pluses, but the Save DC for the poison is low (DC 11), requires a Con save to resist (the most likely to be high save in the MM) and uses the most resistant damage type in the game. I feel it's OK, and flavorful for sure, but highly overrated as a companion.

What’s your point, person vulnerable to giant snake venom?

J/K.

Yeah, reading through the stat block, I think the player must have added some proficiencies I took for granted.

Euclidodese
2020-07-08, 05:44 AM
flying snake
stirge -> if they hit, they get a free 5pt damage on the next 2 turns. can use its action to disengage and fly away...Stirge is a really good choice, their auto-damage doesnt count as an attack, so you can take your own action for a full attack during those turns and use your bonus action to have the Stirge dodge, it has 14+ proficiency AC, so it has a good chance of dodging attacks that have disadvantage. So is your opponent really going to waste swings trying to hit it, or waste an action trying to dislodge it? Maybe not. And if they do, fewer attacks hitting the player!
You could also get it to use the Help action instead.