PDA

View Full Version : Musings about a witch hunter

Arkhios
2020-07-06, 05:21 PM
In a relatively near future (I would suspect a month or two), we'll be starting our next campaign, and I was wondering how could I build a witch hunter type character when I have access to (read: permission to use) only PHB, prestige classes from DMG, XPH (excluding races), and feats from Deities & Demigods, as well as Pathfinder Chronicles: Campaign Setting, Gazetteer, and Gods & Magic (all three of which made for 3.5).

The Adventure Path is Second Darkness, and I have some serious trouble getting a good grasp of the adventure path's theme, so I'm trying to make a character with a distinct theme of its own.

The concept is loosely based on Constantine, Geralt of Rivia, and Van Helsing. Capable melee combatant (preferably with bastard sword), but not too bad at ranged combat either (maybe with repeating crossbow).

I know this is all over the place, but how would you tackle this build?

Doctor Despair
2020-07-06, 06:03 PM
Do you care about spellcasting/psionic ability?

el minster
2020-07-06, 06:12 PM
Ranger with favored enemy arcanists constructs and undead

Maat Mons
2020-07-06, 07:16 PM
Since you're allowed feats from Deities and Demigods, Knock-Down is famously powerful, and the version of Persistent Spell only ups the level by +4.

A couple levels of Paladin for good saves might not be a bad idea. The Divine Might feat (Deities and Demigods) might pair well with that, for some Charisma synergy. You could pull off a basic sorcadin with these sources. Paladin 2 / Sorcerer 6 / Eldritch Knight 10 / ... Sorcerer +2? The character might come off as hypocritical though. "I'm the only one allowed to be a witch! All other witches will die by my hand!"

Oh, wow! Pathfinder Chronicles lets a Cleric trade both his domains for proficiency with their deity's favored weapon (even if it's exotic?), d10 hit dice, and full base attack bonus. I mean, DMM(Persist) already gives Clerics full base attack bonus, but some DMs will give you the stinkeye for that. So this is a nice, pre-packaged "screw you Paladin" settup if your DM doesn't like you cobbling things together piecemeal.

Arkhios
2020-07-07, 12:16 AM
Do you care about spellcasting/psionic ability?
I have nothing against using magic or psionics myself, though I suppose it should remain in divine or psionic territory.

Ranger with favored enemy arcanists constructs and undead
I'm pretty sure "arcanists" don't qualify as a favored enemy, would have to be more specific than that.

Since you're allowed feats from Deities and Demigods, Knock-Down is famously powerful, and the version of Persistent Spell only ups the level by +4.

A couple levels of Paladin for good saves might not be a bad idea. The Divine Might feat (Deities and Demigods) might pair well with that, for some Charisma synergy. You could pull off a basic sorcadin with these sources. Paladin 2 / Sorcerer 6 / Eldritch Knight 10 / ... Sorcerer +2? The character might come off as hypocritical though. "I'm the only one allowed to be a witch! All other witches will die by my hand!"

Oh, wow! Pathfinder Chronicles lets a Cleric trade both his domains for proficiency with their deity's favored weapon (even if it's exotic?), d10 hit dice, and full base attack bonus. I mean, DMM(Persist) already gives Clerics full base attack bonus, but some DMs will give you the stinkeye for that. So this is a nice, pre-packaged "screw you Paladin" settup if your DM doesn't like you cobbling things together piecemeal.
My DM knows I've been making multiclassed weirdoes since almost the day one, and I started this hobby with 3.5 shortly after its release, so it's not unusual from me if I cobbled up something piecemeal.

el minster
2020-07-07, 12:27 PM
In CC it has an alternate class feature which changes your favored enemy to arcanists if you have a rank in knowledge (arcana)

Eladrinblade
2020-07-07, 01:53 PM
Don't forget Soloman Kane!

Honestly just ask your DM pretty please if you can play a ranger/paladin hybrid. Use a ranger's chasis.

Track, favored enemy (narrower list), bonus combat feats, animal companion (riding dog or horse), swift tracker, evasion.
Detect evil (but only casters or magical beings), smite evil (but only favored enemies), aura of courage (only yourself), divine health (only from magical evil sources), turn undead.
Both spell lists, but not the more nature specific ones like charm animal or speak with animals.
Maybe drop some of the rangers skills for paladin ones but I think a rangers list is already pretty fitting....but sense motive is especially fitting so ask if you can drop climb/jump/swim for it.

Ask your DM if you can switch martial weapon (longbow) proficiency for heavy repeating crossbow proficiency; for a strong martial it's not really better since you can't make them mighty and the cases have to be reloaded every five shots. It does have a higher base damage and more range, however.

The DMG talks about mixing classes like this, but it's still up to the DM. If he says no, I wouldn't try to multiclass; you'd be too low level in eithers class features for it to be worth it. Maybe dip paladin as a ranger for detect evil and access to the spells, or maybe 2 levels for divine grace if you have good charisma.

Arkhios
2020-07-07, 01:54 PM
In CC it has an alternate class feature which changes your favored enemy to arcanists if you have a rank in knowledge (arcana)

I thought I made it clear which sources I have access to; in other words, permission to use. By CC, I assume you mean Complete Champion? I don't have permission to use the book. Only the books I already mentioned in the OP.

Psyren
2020-07-07, 02:52 PM
It's in Complete Mage actually - but yes, a ranger needs that specific ACF to select that favored enemy (because it replaces the entire class feature) so it's not available if that source is not allowed.

el minster
2020-07-07, 10:28 PM
However it's a pretty basic ACF so the DM could totaly allow it to help his character fit the flavor

Arkhios
2020-07-08, 01:56 AM
Don't forget Soloman Kane!

Honestly just ask your DM pretty please if you can play a ranger/paladin hybrid. Use a ranger's chasis.

Track, favored enemy (narrower list), bonus combat feats, animal companion (riding dog or horse), swift tracker, evasion.
Detect evil (but only casters or magical beings), smite evil (but only favored enemies), aura of courage (only yourself), divine health (only from magical evil sources), turn undead.
Both spell lists, but not the more nature specific ones like charm animal or speak with animals.
Maybe drop some of the rangers skills for paladin ones but I think a rangers list is already pretty fitting....but sense motive is especially fitting so ask if you can drop climb/jump/swim for it.

Ask your DM if you can switch martial weapon (longbow) proficiency for heavy repeating crossbow proficiency; for a strong martial it's not really better since you can't make them mighty and the cases have to be reloaded every five shots. It does have a higher base damage and more range, however.

The DMG talks about mixing classes like this, but it's still up to the DM. If he says no, I wouldn't try to multiclass; you'd be too low level in eithers class features for it to be worth it. Maybe dip paladin as a ranger for detect evil and access to the spells, or maybe 2 levels for divine grace if you have good charisma.

This is the first time I ever heard of this 'hybrid' in 3.5. Seems like this option isn't in SRD, or at least I couldn't find it there (which is where I normally go first to check the rules).

It's a bit obscure, and I have my doubts about it, but I guess I could ask anyway. It is, afterall, in DMG. Although, the DM isn't particularly homebrew oriented and this gets squarely into that territory.

Edit: I asked, and the answer was as I expected: "Yeah that'll be a no."

However it's a pretty basic ACF so the DM could totaly allow it to help his character fit the flavor

Let's just say that my DM is a bit stickler for rules and restrictions he has laid out, and I respect that. So, for the sake of keeping this discussion relevant either or, I'd stick to those books I mentioned.

As it stands, I think I might settle on starting with Ranger, maybe for 6 levels, and dip into Holy Warrior or Cleric with the other Pathfinder Chronicles ACF from Gazetteer*.

I could choose only one domain, but could cast the domain spells from that domain spontaneously, in addition to and in same way as cure/inflict spells. The restriction for this ACF is deity-dependent (also alignment, as we're not allowed to play evil characters): either Iomedae (LG; Longsword; Glory, Good, Law, Sun, War) or Cayden Cailean (CG; Rapier; Chaos, Charm, Good, Strength, Travel), and Iomedae seems like better match for the concept.

For combat style I was thinking Archery, except I'd take Crossbow Expert in place of Manyshot. I'm not sure yet, but I might take the Enhanced Companion ACF, and have a companion that might not take a combat role per se, but be a bit sturdier still.

Still, even with the chosen style, I would focus on melee combat. The archery style would be mostly just to be more all-rounded and capable to switch approach on the fly.

To be fair, at one point I was toying with the idea of making a mix of Ranger and Bard, since both classes are restricted to using light armor in order to function well. And I would get quite a lot of skill points (as well as add some useful skills Ranger doesn't have as class skills). High charisma score would be required, and Use Magic Device would definitely see a lot of use. TBH, I would only consider this approach if, and only if, I happen to roll really well, so that I can afford to put at least 16 in Constitution, preferably more.

As for our group, we'll have a druid, rogue, and sorcerer, so I'd rather not take levels in those classes. At all.

As for the scores, I don't know them yet. We'll have a Session Zero after our current campaign is over, where we'll roll our stats (4d6b3) and characters, so this musing is only preliminary spit-balling.