PDA

View Full Version : Level 12 Build: Battle of Gods

virtualslayer22
2020-07-06, 05:25 PM
Looking for thoughts on level 12 builds. I’ve gone down many rabbit holes with this and built out a lot of different options. Basically, my group has decided to do a campaign to fight a god in an arena. This may lead into some gladiatorial battles for kicks and giggles, but we haven’t decided thus yet. The caveat: we HAVE to multiclass. (It’s a new DM and his putting a spin on things. He’s trying to get us to branch out and try some different builds since most of our group hasn’t had a lot of experience. It’s kind of a rag tag group. Myself and another have been in around 3-4 campaigns, our DM has been in 8, and the other 3 only 2 - really 1.5).

Anyways... I’m wondering what some of your most fun builds would have been if you’ve reached this level? I’ve only ever made it to level 9, so I’m interested in other players and their experiences.

One that seems to be quite hefty is a Paladin 6-8 with either Sorcerer or Warlock as a multiclass.

Although, I’m quite intrigued by an artificer duo with a wizard or even a rogue. And I’ve tinkerer with a barbarian rogue - surprisingly the synergy here is pretty damn good and would make for a very tough to hit tank.

Open to any and all builds/suggestions. I just thought this would be a fun chain to start especially during these lockdown days.. (if I’ve not posted in the correct forum, please direct me to the right one so I can repost there - it’s never fun when people get pissy and angry. I’m just trying to generate a fun discussion for all ✌️)

Foxydono
2020-07-06, 06:26 PM
As you already mentioned, Paladin/Warlock/Sorcerer is one of the best multiclass builds. If you like crits, going vengance paladin 6, hexblade warlock 1 and sorcerer 5 is the way to go. You have third level spells, shield, hexblade curse, SADness. Take a half elf with EA and warcaster. Twin haste and profit!

Another good build is gloomstalker (preferably UA) rogue. You want to go 5 gloom 7 rogue. This depends on the light in the arena though. If you can't profit from the ability of the gloomstalker forget about this build. Otherwise take EA and sharshooter. Hang back, relax and schoot many arrows.

virtualslayer22
2020-07-06, 10:33 PM
What does the 1 level dip do into warlock? I’ve not thought about dipping into all 3.. could be interesting.

Unfortunately we aren’t using UA. But now I’m going to make myself a new character - two actually. Rangers and Clerics are classes I’ve never dabbled in, but need to do so.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-07-06, 10:49 PM
I mean it may not be 100% optimized, or like optimized at all really, but I like Paladin (Oath of ancients) 12.

CTurbo
2020-07-07, 03:27 AM
Level 11 is pretty strong for the martial characters so I would go 11 levels in one class, then a single level dip in another.

Fighter gets 3rd attack, Paladins get Divine Smite, Barbs get Relentless Rage, and Monks and Rangers get mostly strong subclass features.

I think a single level of War Cleric perfectly compliments any SS or GWM Fighter, Barb, or Ranger, and also any Monk.

Let's see.....

Fighter 11(Battle Master or Champion)(SS or GWM doesn't even matter)/War Cleric 1 would be great. Bless is your go-to spell during combat to help land all those -5 hits. 3 attacks each round with an extra 4th as a bonus action when you REALLY need it.

Fighter 1/Bard(Swords or Valor) 11 Archer with SS, Swift Quiver, and Find Greater Steed is an amazing archer.
Fighter 1/Bard(Swords or Valor) 11 Archer with Xbox Expert, Holy Weapon, and Find Greater Steed is also an amazing archer.

Long Death Monk 11/Cleric(any) would be great and really really really hard to kill.

Gloom Stalker 5/Fighter 2/Assassin 5 would be a great sniper archer. 6 or 7 attacks with action surge... all with advantage and all crits on a surprise round.

Half-Orc Champion Fighter 3/Barbarian 9 with Greataxe and GWM would be a crit machine.

Foxydono
2020-07-07, 03:57 AM
What does the 1 level dip do into warlock? I’ve not thought about dipping into all 3.. could be interesting.
You can use Charisma as your attack stat and you get hexblade curse. It's what makes the build SAD, as you only really need Charisma and a bit of Constitution. It also gives you Eldrich Blast cantrip and a short rest spellslot. Basicly everything you need.

A second level dip can be useful for another spell slot and invocations, but doesn't out weight the benefit of third level sorcerer spells. If you go straight sorcerer/paladin, you might want to consider paladin 2 / sorcerer (or lore bard) 10. If you go more melee focused (paladin 6), then a warlock dip is highly recommended.

LudicSavant
2020-07-07, 04:26 AM
Evoker 11 / Hexblade 1

DevilMcam
2020-07-07, 06:01 AM
If it's a 1 fight a day arena thing, you probably want to stay away from investing too much in short rest based resources.

Sorcadin would be great,
LifeCleric1/divine sorcerer would be a great support
fighter 11/Cleric1 as mentionned previously would be great, although i'd go with forge or light, not war.
Paladin2/Bard(Sword)10(9)(/hexblade1) could also be great.

virtualslayer22
2020-07-07, 05:10 PM
I should clarify. We are actually doing a mini campaign in a way. We will start separately and meet in one city via an event. Then, we will travel upon hearing about the god’s challenge. He’s taken over a city and will leave if any grip defeats him in the arena.

The side fights would be for fun and the hell of it if we so decide. For riches and spoils, and possibly just as a side tournament so we can level up a bit more before we face the god.

Does anyone have any tanks cleric builds? The Paladin/sorcerer I’ve built out is pretty solid, but I am disappointed in the warlock build as it only has 3 spell slots (which I know they come back after a short rest, but when I’ve got 12 as a sorlock and can twin/quicken things....)

I like the ranger idea, and I toyed with a hexblade. But I think I’m going to have to go more tank/healer for the group (which I’m fine with).

CTurbo
2020-07-07, 07:46 PM
Are you using point buy, standard array, or 4d6 for stats?

Tanky Cleric huh?

Hill Dwarf or Warforged Fighter 2 to start for Con saves and Defense Style then Tempest Cleric 10. Take Warcaster and then max Wis. Done.

virtualslayer22
2020-07-07, 08:31 PM
Are you using point buy, standard array, or 4d6 for stats?

Tanky Cleric huh?

Hill Dwarf or Warforged Fighter 2 to start for Con saves and Defense Style then Tempest Cleric 10. Take Warcaster and then max Wis. Done.

Point buy for us. I have been thinking about taking Amulet of Health to get my Con up to 19 as well. So I could spend some points elsewhere. Unless there are other magic items that would be better.