PDA

View Full Version : The World All In Fog [IC]

JNAProductions
2020-07-06, 09:16 PM
You're ready. You don't know what exactly will be awaiting you-but you've prepared as best you can.

A dirigible, much smaller than the main Seraphim, is awaiting to take you down to the mountain's peak. You climb in, securing yourself as best you can, and it sets off. You can see the mountain, cresting just above the fog.

It's a short flight. The pilot doesn't say much-he seems eager to be anywhere but there. But he does his job, landing at a flat plateau on the peak. You're barely off when it takes flight again, leaving you to begin your exploration.
You make your way just out of some of the caverns, and see something you haven't seen in forever. The sun-it shines down, illuminating the fog that stretches endlessly across the world. And, up above, you see a small, floating boat, rapidly climbing above the clouds that still sit, white and puffy, above the fog.

OOC Thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?614854-The-World-All-In-Fog-OOC)

PartyOfRogues
2020-07-06, 11:02 PM
(Presuming we don’t see each other yet since you didn’t mention it)
Well, there’s no going back now, it’ll take a few days to descend the mountain, once we get to the bottom we should start looking for settlements. Are you ready to go?

Pyrophilios
2020-07-06, 11:51 PM
Spatha paused a moment to rebalance his backpack and tighten the loops as he looked fascinated at the shimmer of sunlight: "You were right after all, my friend. This mountain does in fact stretch beyond the clouds. Onward, our destination is nearly at hand"

woodwalker
2020-07-07, 08:26 AM
Rhel, holding her symbol of the Raven Queen, spreads her hands and wings and looks up to the heavens. A bit of light bursts of the symbol, striking both Jondar and herself before disappating. They both feel a slight warmth in their chest, and feel bolstered by the spell.

Now I am ready. I will take a quick survey of our location.

She flaps her wings a few times and does a circle around the plateau they find themselves on, only about 50 feet up and about 100 feet in diameter.

Niobaran
2020-07-07, 10:03 AM
Spatha paused a moment to rebalance his backpack and tighten the loops as he looked fascinated at the shimmer of sunlight: "You were right after all, my friend. This mountain does in fact stretch beyond the clouds. Onward, our destination is nearly at hand"

Niobe, after a short moment of perplexity regarding the bright light, jumps into the sunshine. "Yes! We did it, my friend. We really did it!" Removing her cloak, she stands there, hands and face towards the sky, as if greeting it. She enthusiastically hops towards Spatha and - unless he has shown an aversion against it in their past friendship - hugs him. She then seems to ponder his words. Right, there were still a few steps to go and ... "Wait a second, is that a ... flying boat?" She asks, pointing to the curious object in the sky, protecting her eyes with her hand.

We presumably both have 14 temp HP from Inspiring Leader, unless DM says we already sustained damage since our last rest.
Also, if you did not roll for it yet, here's a perception check to further identify the boat-thing. [roll0]

JNAProductions
2020-07-07, 11:57 AM
The boat seems to be leaving from just around the bend. It's a complicated piece of arcane technology-one that'd be interesting to study, and is also rapidly moving further away.

You also spot a flying birdwoman, looking about the mountaintop.

You see two people-both humanoid, though one mechanical-just beyond your landing spot, near a cave entrance.

Pyrophilios
2020-07-07, 12:18 PM
Oh, good thinking: Spatha will have used this short rest spell slots to cast Aid on both him and Niobe for an additional 5 HP.
His familiar Scowl (Owl) is currently in its extradimenisonal pocket.

Hugging Spatha was a bit like hugging a trash compactor, but he didn't mind at all. Throughout their travels he had found the bard to be a very pleasant companion - more so now that it seemed like they had indeed come close to reaching their goal.

Looking in the direction Niobe had indicated, his eyes glowed a bit more intense for a moment - an expression that Niobe by now could identify as a puzzled frown.
"You seem to be correct. Curious. So the rumors are true - there are people living beyond the fog. Let's continue carefully onward. Establishing friendly relations will be key for our endeavour - but so is staying alive."

With that, he made sure his shield with the emblem of the Ravenqueen was on his arm although he left both his staff and the sword in their respective positions on his back.

Stepping into the sunshine was a bit disconcerting - like a million light spells had been cast at once.

When he became aware of the two figures, he called out in the common tongue: "Hail thee, travellers and well met."

woodwalker
2020-07-07, 01:50 PM
Rhel, upon seeing the figures in the distance, quickly lands near Jondar.

There are two figures in the distance near a small cave. I suggest we walk in that direction, though cautiously. I was not anticipating meeting survivors this soon, perhaps there is a larger population than we believed.

She reaches down and picks up a small rock from the ground nearby and places it in her pouch, then begins walking in the direction of where she saw the people.

PartyOfRogues
2020-07-07, 02:31 PM
Start talking to them, I’ll sneak up for a closer look. Jondar said, pulling up the hood on his elven cloak, shimmering against the snow.
Advantage from cloak of elvenkind, Disadvantage on perception checks to see me [roll0] [roll1]

Pyrophilios
2020-07-07, 03:24 PM
Perception with disadvantage to detect Jondar

[roll0]+5
[roll1]+5

No Chance

Spatha went forward blinking against the light. The figure before him looked... surprisingly similar to his familiar, Scouwl.
"This... bird person is wearing the symbol of the Lady. Be courtious."

"I greet thee, Herald of our Lady."

woodwalker
2020-07-08, 08:35 AM
Rhel strolled towards the mechanical man, head held high, ready to parlay. But when she saw the symbol of her Queen shining from the front of his shield she paused for half a heartbeat. She supposed she shouldn't have been surprised; the reach of the Raven Queen extended to wherever life existed. Still, seeing anything like an organized religion down beneath the fog, well, the scholars hadn't even been sure there were anything like towns down here anymore. This was a bit of a revelation.

She came to a stop before the metal hulk, and cocked her head up, craning her neck a bit in his direction. He was a full head taller than she, and she wanted to look at this...man as nearly eye to eye as she could. Warforged, here, in a devastated land. More revelations.

And greetings to you, fellow follower of our Queen. I am called Rhel.

Pyrophilios
2020-07-08, 12:01 PM
Spatha nodded indicating at his companion: "I am Captain Spatha, former member of the Solterran forces and now in service to our Lady as well as explorer of these lands. And this here is my companion and friend Niobe, scholar and adventurer as well. We set out to find the origin of the fog and perhaps a remedy to its existence."
He bowed slightly.
"The lady must be smiling on us to coincide our arrival here and honoring our quest with this revelation. We saw your flying ship - does wherever you come from consist soley of flying people?"

woodwalker
2020-07-09, 12:54 PM
In a way, I suppose. But few are gifted with these.

She spreads her wings out and extends them to their full width before tucking them back in.

If you saw our ship you have a better idea of what most experience. We stay above the fog.

If you mean to discover more about the fog then our quests run a similar path. My monastery sent me to discover what still endured in the land beneath the shade. It was thought there would be some survivors from the calamity, but I did not expect to find such so quickly. I will admit, if it was not but for your symbol there I would have been more wary of you and your friend. Indeed, our patron must have seen fit to guide us together on this day.

Pyrophilios
2020-07-09, 04:38 PM
"It is indeed fortunate, that you met us here. It is never wise to venture into the fog alone. There are many terrors there, waiting to devour the unwary traveller. Yet before we continue this discussion, would you mind if we made camp up here, so we may enjoy the view? For both of us it is the first time that we had the chance to see the sun in its full glory as well as the horizon.
And for certain, my companion is in need of a rest in any case."

Spatha indicated towards the gigantic panorama that the mountain provided them.

Niobaran
2020-07-10, 05:14 AM
Niobe

As Rhel had arrived, she let Spatha handle the first polite exchange of words upon noticing that the bird person had the same emblem on her as the Captain. A common ground could prove useful, definitely. Instead of doing much of the talking, only nodding and shortly greeting Rhel, she tries to see whether Rhel (being a follower of the same god or not) could mean any harm to them. Coming down here alone is indeed... Careless. But then again... She said 'our' ship... Niobe's eyes dart around trying to see whether there is someone hiding. Alas, she cannot see another person.

Passive insight is at 16, so it should suffice to see that there is something going on. But if required, I can also roll: [roll0]. There is no way I can perceive the hidden Seraphim, as the stealth roll was a 29 and I have +6 on perception.

woodwalker
2020-07-10, 09:47 AM
By all means. I have many questions, and asking them hear in the clear light will be much preferable to doing so in the fog below. Please, make yourself comfortable.

Rhel drops her pack on the ground and retrieves her small sleeping mat, ready to spread it out near wherever the two begin to setup camp.

So you live your lives beneath the fog. Is it as thick as it appears throughout the world below? Do most live their lives never seeing the sun? That must be terribly difficult.How is there enough growth there to sustain life?

Pyrophilios
2020-07-10, 12:29 PM
Spatha helped setting up the camp for Niobe while as usual just setting up a position for himself to sit down.
"The fog is eternal down there, though it gets thicker and thinner at times, darker and lighter and - at times - it freezes. That's how we count the years, by the times of freezing fog.
As for food, it is scarce at times. People eat mostly fungi that grow at hot springs and from magic energies. There are some colonies here and there, that have managed to set up plantations with light spells. I myself was forged at such a place where the priests and the mages set down roots. A plateau called Solterra." Spatha indicated vaguely to the south. "Somewhere in that direction I believe. And of course there are the monsters in the fog. Some of them are supossedly delicious if the locals are to be believed. My existence was prized, for I do not consume food.
And you live in flying cities? Do you have flying fields as well? It must be rather cold up there. How do you grow your food?
For that matter, does your society employ much magic? If so, do you have diviners that were able to learn anything substancial about the fog? Niobe is nearly ready to learn the powerful Legend Lore incantation."

PartyOfRogues
2020-07-10, 11:40 PM
Jondar, seeing that the newcomers seem friendly, decides to take off the hood of his cloak to introduce himself and set up camp, ”Nice to meet you Captain, I’m Jondar. Sorry for hiding from you, just trying to be careful.”

Pyrophilios
2020-07-11, 02:01 AM
Spatha turned around with surprising speed. Eldrich sparks danced over the palm of his free hand, before he realized that the newcomer had no weapons drawn. As quickly as the energies had appeared, they vanished again.
"Ah, so you were not as careless as I feared you were.
Greetings, Jondar. What function, creed or rank is yours in this expedition?"

PartyOfRogues
2020-07-12, 07:09 PM
”I was paid to come down here and collect information about the fog and what happened, my family also owned land before the fog, I want to return there and see what has become of it”

Niobaran
2020-07-13, 08:38 AM
Niobe

She greets the newcomer as well, while she had felt something amiss, she is still somewhat startled, and a slight mistrust remains in her glance, which soon changes to an apologetic smile. We'd have done it the same, if it was not for this sight... she thought by herself.

"If you can track back your family so far, do you know anything about the time before the fog?"

Pyrophilios
2020-07-13, 12:07 PM
Spatha perked up at this information as well: "Indeed, that is very interesting. Do you have old maps? We are on the lookout for the source of the fog and if possible reverse whatever is causing it. Information about how the world was before would certainly help with that search."

PartyOfRogues
2020-07-13, 11:22 PM
”My father told me stories about what the world was like before the fog, many people taught stories of what it was like, but the stories have changed with time, and it’s hard to tell what’s true and what’s myth. Rhel would probably know more than me, I’m mostly here for my martial skill.”

Pyrophilios
2020-07-14, 03:33 PM
"I look forward to seeing your martial prowess in action. I also have to admire your gear: it appears to be of incredible fine make - much better than people in the fog are able to afford.
I am sorry, I am getting distracted. We want to get our bearings and try to find out if there are any landmarks visible from up here that could give us a clue as to where the origin of the fog lies."

Spatha got up and started to look around, briefly touching his head with a faint glow of divine energy.

Either Investigation or Survival to try to determine where the center of the fog is to be found (if there is one) or if there are any patterns to be made out

[roll0]+1+[roll1]

JNAProductions
2020-07-14, 05:03 PM
From there? You get no new info. Or, rather, no info that you couldn't get from the Seraphim folk (and I'm assuming you've shared information) due to them having a much better vantage from the base of their ship.

Pyrophilios
2020-07-15, 06:21 AM
Spatha returned visibly disappointed. "The vantage isn't good enough for my purposes.
Say, you flew here on an airship. Did you get a good look on this area, so you know about any patterns or anomalies that would indicate the source of the fog?

woodwalker
2020-07-15, 08:17 AM
DO we know of any patterns or anything? I assume that would be a part of Rhel's research, if not a major point of study on Seraphim. If needed:

Investigation: [roll0]

JNAProductions
2020-07-15, 12:03 PM
You've been all around the world, and the fog is ever-present. Even over the oceans of the world below.

From the eddies and swirls, the best researchers of Seraphim believe the source to either be all over the world, or to be located deep underground.

Niobaran
2020-07-15, 12:22 PM
Niobe

She listens carefully over the others talking and starts to fish some rations from the depths of her backpack, again and again being captivated by the awesome sight around her. It still feels like a so early step in her voyage -- but what a beautiful one it was. The rations turn out to be dried fruit and nuts, possibly not overly appetizing to those above, but quite normal (and nutritious) to those below. She takes a few, careful sips from her waterskin and offers some of the rations (but not the water) to the newcomers. It seems more of a accustomed gesture to her, nothing she would make fuss about.

woodwalker
2020-07-16, 08:32 AM
Rhel happily accepts the nuts and berries from Niobe. They were better than she had expected would be available from the shrouded world below. The idea that anything could even grow down there would have been beyond belief to her just an hour or so before.

I'm afraid we know little more than you. Our scholors have studied the fog for many years, but there is no consensus. Some believe the fog emanates from the very earth itself, others from somewhere deep underground, but at any rate it does not seem to have a single focul point. Do your people have any more thought on the manner? Any stories from which we may glean some insight?

Pyrophilios
2020-07-16, 12:26 PM
"Hm. That is unfortunate. But it would strengthen the hypothesis, that the monsters in the fog are from the same source underground. Well, there is nothing to it but to venture back into the fog and this time to look underground instead of over the fog for answers."
Spatha replied.

JNAProductions
2020-07-16, 12:47 PM
The sun is beginning to set. Your path back down can be guided by the two from the world below, who have cleared enough of the menaces from the mountain that the trip shouldn't be too hard, at least for the first few hours.

woodwalker
2020-07-16, 01:39 PM
Rhel stands and rolls up the blanket she had laid down.

Monsters, Captain? What type of...monsters?

Pyrophilios
2020-07-16, 01:46 PM
"All shapes and forms. Quite a lot of the tentacled kind as well as those of fur and teeth. Some are twisted, others are just mad beasts."
Spatha replied while helping to stash away the gear before their descent.

Since we have fought them - what types did we have? Aberations, undead, dragons?

JNAProductions
2020-07-16, 02:36 PM
A lot of fungoid animals-nutritious, but dangerous.
Some stranger, more warped creatures, with tentacles and unnatural durability.

No dragons or undead.

Niobaran
2020-07-17, 05:46 AM
Niobe nods in agreement. "Many of them seem like fungus that evolved to dangerous beasts, and yet they seem natural in comparison to the things spat out by the fog. You can also cook them quite well. Those other creatures though... it's hard to describe. Usually you're happy not to see them in detail. But I think they are rather kraaken than draaken... I guess everyone able to fly high wouldn't stay down there with us..." she shrugs. "How is it in up there? Are you attacked by outlandish creatures?" She gestures to the clouds, where the boat had gone. There is a longing in her eyes, as if she would much more prefer to see what is above, rather than to descend back into the fog.

Pyrophilios
2020-07-19, 03:30 AM
Spatha noticed the glances of his companion and guessed at their meaning: "Don't worry. Either we find a way to end this fog, or we can return here. We did it once, we can do it again. Your magic is getting only stronger - and soon you'll be able to employ divinations as few other people on this world can. That should give us an edge on our mission."

woodwalker
2020-07-19, 07:15 AM
I promise you both, when our mission is over and if you wish it, I will take you both back to our home of Seraphim. There would be a great many that will want to talk to you, I believe, and you can take in the wonders of that place.

PartyOfRogues
2020-07-20, 07:59 AM
”When our mission’s over, I’m going to gather some people, and return to my home, start a new city, maybe even a nation.”

JNAProductions
2020-07-20, 10:15 AM
You head down into the mountain's depths. As soon as you dip below the fog's level, you feel it begin to claw at you again. You can see perhaps 30' in front of you, before the fog becomes too dense to make anything out.

Winding down the interior and exterior of the mountain is relatively fast-going. You're lead by the two from below, who only recently went up these same paths.

Perception checks from everyone, please.

[roll0]

PartyOfRogues
2020-07-20, 11:14 AM
[roll0] Filler

Pyrophilios
2020-07-20, 12:34 PM
Perception
[roll0]+6

Spatha took point, periodically putting a radiant sphere on his shield to improve visibility ahead of them.

woodwalker
2020-07-20, 02:14 PM
Perception

[roll0]

Would Jondar prefer the back? Rhel will follow his lead, either in front or behind him, whichever he would prefer.

PartyOfRogues
2020-07-20, 04:45 PM
Jondar would take the back since Spatha’s in front

woodwalker
2020-07-21, 08:08 AM
As Jondar moves behind her, Rhel briefly puts her hand on his shoulder.

May the blessings of the Queen be upon you.

Vigilant Blessing

At 1st level, the night has taught you to be vigilant. As an action, you give one creature you touch (including possibly yourself) advantage on your next initiative roll the creature makes. This benefit ends immediately after the roll or if you use this feature again.

JNAProductions
2020-07-21, 10:56 AM
Jondar is the first to spot them-and the only one to spot them before they strike. Three fungoid spiders, dropping silently from above to attack their next meal.

[roll0] plus 2 to each.

Rhel: [roll1]
Niobe: [roll2]
Spatha: [roll3]
Jondar: [roll4]
Jondar Advantage: [roll5]

Order is:
Rhel
Jondar
Three Spiders
Niobe
Spatha

Jondar gets his turn first, though, since Rhel is surprised.

Pyrophilios
2020-07-21, 11:55 AM
As the slowest, I'll declare my action now:
If I'm not in melee:
Move Action: Draw my staff
Bonus Action: Hex on the meanest looking spider
Action: Eldritch Blast on said spider (twice)

If I'm in melee:
Move Action: Draw my sword
Bonus Action: Hexblade Curse on my opponent
Action: Hit spider with sword (twice)

attack 1: [roll0]+9
attack 2: [roll1]+9

Sword damage 1: [roll2]+9, if crit (19-20) [roll3] - also I'll smite with my Warlock Spellslot for [roll4]
Sword damage 2: [roll5]+9, if crit (19-20) [roll6] - also I'll smite with my Warlock Spellslot for [roll7]

Eldritch blast damage 1: [roll8]+5 + [roll9], if crit [roll10] + [roll11]
Eldritch blast damage 2: [roll12]+5 + [roll13], if crit [roll14] + [roll15]

Should the first hit kill a spider, I move to the next. Should the spiders be dead before I get to act - I'll draw my sword, wonder, and put it away again :smallwink:

Also, everyone should move into my aura with 10ft reach to receive +5 to your saves

PartyOfRogues
2020-07-21, 01:01 PM
Jondar quickly draws his rapier and stabs at the nearest spider.
To Hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Sneak Attack: [roll2]

JNAProductions
2020-07-21, 01:06 PM
The first spider to drop lands between Jondar and one of his allies, and begins bleeding a thick, sticky blood from the wound.

They attack, though, two on Jondar and one on Spatha.

[roll0]
[roll1] Piercing
[roll2] Poison

[roll3]
[roll4] Piercing
[roll5] Poison

And then, on Spatha:

[roll6]
[roll7] Piercing
[roll8] Poison

JNAProductions
2020-07-21, 01:07 PM
Back on the top of the order, with Rhel.

Spatha, take an extra [roll0] and [roll1] damage from the crit.

woodwalker
2020-07-21, 01:13 PM
Rhel grabs the shield off of her back, tosses it up in the air and yells out Aegis!. At the command the shield floats in mid-air between her and the nearest spider. She points a hand towards the beast and mutters an incantation. The sound of a bell rings out, though muffled to the ears of those around, besides the spider itself.

Animated shield: https://www.dndbeyond.com/magic-items/animated-shield
Gives +2 to AC while active, making Rhel's total AC 18.

Toll the Dead on the nearest spider. If the nearest one is the one Jondar attacked then Toll the Dead does 1d12 instead of 1d8 damage, so I'll roll both.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Pyrophilios
2020-07-21, 01:15 PM
Warforged are resistant to poison,
so Spatha takes just 17 damage.

That said: Ouch!

JNAProductions
2020-07-21, 01:16 PM
For the future, when you provoke a save, roll a d20. I'll add the appropriate modifiers.

Toll is... Wisdom, right? [roll0]

The injured spider lets out another sound of pain, as the bell tolls its impending doom.

One spider has taken 27 damage.

The others are unharmed.

woodwalker
2020-07-21, 01:18 PM
Correct, and will do in the future! I also forgot, at level 5 it becomes 2d, so add on an additional d12.

[roll0]

PartyOfRogues
2020-07-21, 03:55 PM
Jondar dodges one spider, but gets grazed by the other one, stabbing at the injured spider again
Using Uncanny Dodge to half damage fro, the attack.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

JNAProductions
2020-07-21, 08:32 PM
The spider looks seriously inured, and retreats back up its dangling web.

Disengage and climb.

The other two, though, being uninjured, are still quite hungry. One splurts out gobs of webbing on the ground, coating the area in a thick, brownish-white coating, while the other bites again, aiming for Spatha.

Everyone, make me a Dex save. DC 13-get restrained on a failed save, requiring a Strength check to escape, also DC 13. You may replace any attack with the Strength check.

Then, bite.

[roll0]
[roll1] advantage, if restrained
[roll2]
[roll3]

PartyOfRogues
2020-07-21, 11:18 PM
Who’s being attacked?
DEX Save [roll0]

Pyrophilios
2020-07-22, 12:04 AM
Normally I'd wait for Niobaran's action, but since the spiders perform their second round just now, I'll resolve my actions now.

Dex save
[roll0]+7
Apparently I'm restraint

The spider that attacked me in the first round was hit with my first attack at AC 19 for 12 damage
The second attack was a crit with a rolled 19 and a total of 52 damage

Second spider attack does 13 damage
Spatha is now down to 70/100 hp

The spider managed to come down behind Spatha and before he could react, he felt the mandibles bite down with incredible force on a particular weak point of his armor. In retaliation, he turned around and slashed at the offending arachnid, even triggering his divine smiting.
As a result of his anger, he missed the second spider glueing his feet to the ground, making it easy for the other spider to hit him again.

woodwalker
2020-07-22, 08:11 AM
Rhel has a Ring of Free Action which stops her from being restrained by magical affects, but I doubt this counts.

[roll0]

JNAProductions
2020-07-22, 08:32 AM
Spatha's mighty blow eliminates one of the spiders entirely, leaving you an edible (if not particularly tasty) corpse.

Spatha was being attacked. Y'all got your turns still, though.

Pyrophilios
2020-07-22, 03:01 PM
Killed spider means curse resolves and Spatha regains 8 Hitpoints for 78/100

Two attacks or strength checks
[roll0]+3 (Strength)
[roll1]+3 (Strength) or +9 for an attack if the first one was enough to break free.

In that case damage [roll2]+5, if crit (20) also smite with warlock spell slot [roll3]

Spatha felt the remaining life energy of the spider flow into him, repairing a small part of the damage done to his form. The next few seconds he spent futily trying to free himself from the sticky webbing.

woodwalker
2020-07-23, 12:43 PM
Seeing the sticky situation the others are in, Rhel flaps her wings and hovers about 10 feet off the ground, hoping to avoid the webs. Grabbing her symbol of the Queen, she blesses her compatriots.

Rhel is Casting Bless at 1st level Jondar, Spatha, and Niobe.

Bless (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Bless#content):
You bless up to three creatures of your choice within range. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw.

Niobaran
2020-07-23, 04:27 PM
Niobe

If Niobe has a turn in which Spatha is restrained:

Seeing the captain webbed, she starts a short chant, and extends her left to touch some non-sticky part of the Warforged. Setting him free from any obstacles for the next hour.

Casting Freedom of Movement

If Spatha is already free

Seeing that the captain has wiggled free, she illuminates the space behind (and including) the spider in a somewhat gloomy, purple light, letting the otherwise conveniently camouflaged beast's body revealed for nasty counter attacks.

Casting Faerie Fire. You can also take this as my next turn's action.

PartyOfRogues
2020-07-23, 08:21 PM
Jondar easily avoids the webs and moves up to attack the last spider
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
If Faerie Fire: [roll3]

Pyrophilios
2020-07-24, 09:11 AM
I need to organize this for me a bit, as I'm getting confused about what happens when:

Ini Order:

1st Round

Rhel: Uses Toll the Dead on Spider 1
Jondar (Surprised)

Spider 1 attacks Jondar
Spider 2 attacks Jondar
Spider 3 attacks Spatha (Crits)

Niobe (Surprised)
Spatha (Surprised)

2nd Round:

Rhel: Casts Bless
Jondar: Stabs Spider 1

Spider 1 flees
Spider 2 spits webs
Spider 3 attacks Spatha

Niobe casts Freedom of Movement on Spatha
Spatha attacks Spider 3 and Crits, killing Spider 3

3rd Round:
Rhel: ???
Jondar: attacks Spider 3

Spider 3 ???

Niobe ???
Spatha will attack unless Spider 3 is fleeing too
Attack 1 [roll0]+9+(1d4)[4] (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24628405&postcount=50), damage [roll1]+5, if crit (20) smite [roll2]
Attack 2 [roll3]+9+(1d4)[3] (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24628405&postcount=50), damage [roll4]+5, if crit (20) smite [roll5]

Did I get that correctly?

woodwalker
2020-07-24, 09:50 AM
You're close, but here's what I have

In Order:

Surprise Round:
Jondar Attacks Spider 1
Spider 1 attacks Jondar
Spider 2 attacks Jondar
Spider 3 attacks Spatha (Crits)
Rhel (Surprised)
Niobe (Surprised)
Spatha (Surprised)

2nd Round:
Rhel: Casts Toll the Dead on Jondar's spider
Jondar: Stabs Spider 1
Spider 1: flees
Spider 2: spits webs - restrains Spatha
Spider 3: attacks Spatha
Niobe: casts Freedom of Movement on Spatha
Spatha: attacks Spider 3 and Crits, killing Spider 3

3rd Round:
Rhel: Casts Bless
Jondar: attacks Spider 3
Spider 3: Up next
Niobe: Up after Spider
Spatha: Up after Niobe

JNAProductions
2020-07-24, 10:11 AM
The spider, seeing its one companion flee and the other dead, responds as you might expect. It scurries away, metaphorical tail between its legs.

It does not move too fast to be chased down, should you wish to hunt it.

Moving horizontally, and Disengaging. 30'.

Pyrophilios
2020-07-25, 04:55 AM
While the spider fled, Spatha sheathed his sword and extended his arm toward the spider, uttering a baleful word. Eldritch energy crackled along it, turning into two beams of force.

Bonus action Hex spell (2nd Warlock Spellslot), targetting strength checks
Eldritch blast:

1st: [roll0]+9+[roll1], damage [roll2]+5+[roll3], if crit [roll4]+[roll5]
2nd: [roll6]+9+[roll7], damage [roll8]+5+[roll9], if crit [roll10]+[roll11]

Total of 28 damage

JNAProductions
2020-07-25, 09:28 AM
The spider takes the eldritch blow hard, but continues scuttling away.

woodwalker
2020-07-26, 07:53 AM
Rhel points her hand at the spider and the bell sounds once more.

Toll the Dead

Spider save:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

JNAProductions
2020-07-26, 09:35 AM
The durable, fungoid spider continues its flight, though it seems near to death.

You guys are meanie-pants. :P

Almost got it, though!

Pyrophilios
2020-07-27, 03:50 PM
Provided the spider doesn't break line of sight, Spatha would shout a second time

1st Attack [roll0]+9, damage [roll1]+5 +[roll2], if crit: [roll3]+[roll4]
2nd Attack [roll5]+9, damage [roll6]+5 +[roll7], if crit: [roll8]+[roll9]

Spatha continued to fire at the retreating spider - no reason to let one of the critters escape and maybe do them harm another day.

JNAProductions
2020-07-27, 05:18 PM
The spider makes it near to 90' away before succumbing to the attacks. You take a few moments to assess the situation, making sure everyone is relatively well, scavenge a bit of food, and continue on your way.

Feel free to use any spells or whatnot.

You can travel during a short rest, provided you aren't ambushed or anything.

Pyrophilios
2020-07-28, 03:36 PM
"If you don't mind, I need a moment to patch myself up again while you can secure some rations out of those fungoid spiders."
Spatha informed his companions, while he tentatively inspected the damage he had sustained.

spending four hit dice to heal some damage

[roll0]

With 2 d10s back to full thanks to Niobe and high Con

Edit: Back to 100/100 hp
+12 Temporary hp

PartyOfRogues
2020-07-28, 08:53 PM
Jondar bandages himself and prepares to continue down the mountain
Spending one HD
[roll0]

woodwalker
2020-07-29, 08:03 AM
If anyone requires any further healing, please let me know.

Rhel lands and gives the blessing to Jondar again.

Vigilant Blessing, advantage on initiative rolls.

JNAProductions
2020-07-29, 10:10 AM
Once everyone is ready to continue downwards, that's exactly what you do. You're able to make it to the base of the mountain without further trouble, exiting one of the many caverns into some wide plains. You can't see the bulk of the plains, owing to the omnipresent fog, but you know it's there.

Pyrophilios
2020-07-29, 11:38 AM
Orienting himself a bit, Spatha said: "Now that we are here, back in the fog, we'll have to find a way into the underground. There are a few options if I remember correctly...

Nature or Survival to remember where best to go.
Using Guidance to help this along

+1+[roll]1d4

Also, I'm casting find steed and calling forth my familiar "Scowl"

"And because now we aren't on a mountain anymore, I'd like to introduce you another companion: Cavorse"
With a flick of the staff, a large, somehow mechanical looking horse began to unfold before their eyes.
"And my eyes and ears in the sky: Scowl"
A small, equally mechanical looking owl appeared on his shoulder.

JNAProductions
2020-07-29, 12:47 PM
Reroll that d4, and gain advantage if someone is willing to Help.

Pyrophilios
2020-07-29, 01:17 PM
"Niobe, you know this stuff, right, help me out, what was the name of that one place again?"

[roll0]+1+[roll1]

Second roll, should I get advantage.

JNAProductions
2020-07-29, 01:49 PM
You would know that there's no immediate access to the underground in your area. You know there's a sea not too far, but that's about it.

Pyrophilios
2020-07-30, 12:05 PM
"Well, it doesn't matter - no easy access to my knowledge around here. The sea is close by though. We could look for transportation along the coast on a ship - that would certainly be faster than braving the countryside."

He didn't mention anything about it being more secure, though.

woodwalker
2020-07-31, 10:00 AM
A ship, to where? Do you have a particular place in mind, Captain?

Pyrophilios
2020-08-02, 03:50 AM
"Not exactly. But seafaring people are knowledgable about many places. Maybe even ones that lead below ground."
Spatha replied.

JNAProductions
2020-08-02, 09:09 AM
If you're gonna move to the coast, then roll me a Survival check, or take 10 on it, to stay the path.

As well as Perception checks-advantage if you move slowly (four days travel), normal if you move normally (two days travel), or disadvantage if you move fast (one day travel).

Pyrophilios
2020-08-03, 07:06 AM
"Considering that we are freshly provisioned with fungispider, we can take our time going cross country - and hopefully avoid any further ambushes."
Spatha suggested to the group.

Perception
[roll0]+5
If we decide to go slow or fast
[roll1]+5

woodwalker
2020-08-03, 08:09 AM
I am not in a rush, and every moment here is a moment to learn more about this world we left behind, so I am not adverse to taking our time.

[roll0]
Advantage/Disadvantage
[roll1]

Niobaran
2020-08-06, 11:43 AM
Niobe

"Sorry, I think my thoughts were somewhere else." She says, in an apologetic tone. Leaving the sunshine and the beautiful behind has shown to be difficult to her, and it has taken her some time to reassure herself, that this is the route she wants to take.

"A city where we could get a ship's passage... Let me think..."

[roll0] to recall a name.
[roll1] to guide us there.

JNAProductions
2020-08-07, 09:05 AM
The city... Well, more a large town, really, of Nimham. Settled by coastal raiders when the fog began to blanket the world, they were treated with suspicion and apprehension for a while. But, eventually, their message of "We're all screwed-might as well work together now" got out, and others began to take shelter with them.

With a History check that good, gain advantage on Survival.

You remember some paths and maps and whatnot.

Pyrophilios
2020-08-08, 08:47 AM
"Thanks Niobe. It's always good to have you around - onward then to Nimham"
Spatha replied with a smile in his voice.

JNAProductions
2020-08-08, 09:25 AM
You begin your trek to Nimham, confident enough of your route even through the fog.

The trip is about 50 miles.

Now, travel at fast pace (-5 to Passive Perception/disadvantage on active Perception checks, normal pace (nothing special), or a slow pace (can make Stealth checks while traveling)?

Fast pace is 30 miles per day.
Normal pace is 24 miles per day.
Slow is 18 miles per day.

Pyrophilios
2020-08-08, 03:51 PM
"I think we'll do well to pace ourselves then. We can make this trip in three days without taxing ourselves too much."
Spatha suggested, remembering all too well, what could lurk inside the fog for those who moved carelessly about.

woodwalker
2020-08-18, 08:04 AM
Based on my short experience here, I think caution would be wise as well. I'll follow your lead, Captain.

JNAProductions
2020-08-18, 09:53 AM
You set off, going through the fog.

Three days of travel it is!

[roll0]

I'll take your highest Passive Perception, plus 5 (for advantage from help) for your travels. If you want to make Stealth checks, roll them please.

Pyrophilios
2020-08-18, 11:44 AM
Stealth... yes, stealth is something Spatha can attempt...
Disadvantage
[roll0]+2
[roll1]+2

Passive Perception +5 = 20

Spatha took the lead. Having called his mechanical horse, the group could afford to have one or two of their number ride for a time. This was comfortable, but not necessarily the quietest way to move cross country.

woodwalker
2020-08-19, 08:54 AM
[roll0]

Rhel spends as much time as she can flying just above the troop, just high enough that she can still reasonably keep an eye on them and their surroundings.

JNAProductions
2020-08-22, 11:27 AM
You begin heading through the fog, knowing your journey will take about three days.

The first day is, luckily enough, uneventful. You see a few animals occasionally, but they're small enough and not in enough numbers to present a threat, and they know it, running away when they catch wind of you.
Your second day, though...

Stealth +4, 18 on die. Rolled with advantage, off-site.

Something's stalking you. It's big, but its legs are spindly.

Pyrophilios
2020-08-22, 11:55 AM
Perception
[roll0]+5
Advantage through Familiar
[roll1]+5

Spatha had his little mechanical bird in the air when he suddenly became aware of something following them just outside visual range
"Don't look now. We are being followed. Could be another spider creature. We can try to draw it in by pretending that I'm lagging behind."

woodwalker
2020-08-24, 09:53 AM
If you would like to pursue that plan I have a few blessings I can bestow upon you. How close behind us is it?

JNAProductions
2020-08-24, 10:02 AM
The thing is skittering behind you at about 100'. Given its occasional bursts of speed, you think it could catch up to you in one round, but unlikely to be able to do much else in that one.

You know that, by and large, most of the creatures down here are hungry. While Spatha lagging behind, "injured", might provoke an attack, it's just as likely he'll be ignored in favor of something more edible.

Pyrophilios
2020-08-24, 12:52 PM
"I guess about a 100 feet, but it moves pretty quickly. That said, it's not sure it will go for me - unless one of you has some tasty smelling meat I can adorn myself with.
There's a 50/50 chance it will ignore me and instead go after one of you. That said, I'd rather deal with it now while we can somewhat controll the encounter - and not when we might be in a different fight."

Spatha replied, nodding at the suggestion of letting magic enhance his abilities to fight.

woodwalker
2020-08-24, 01:03 PM
Noted, Captain.

Rhel, grips her holy reliquiry once more, and a shimmering shield envelops Spatha. She then lands about 20 feet behind him on the path.

Rhel casts "Shield of Faith (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Shield%20of%20Faith#content)" on Spatha. +2 to your AC for the duration.

Reminder that Jondar currently has "Vigilant Blessing" on him, so he gets advantage on his inspiration (if he's still playing).

Pyrophilios
2020-08-25, 11:46 AM
Spatha went slower, falling behind the group, while also putting out some of the fresher rations. His shield was ready but his hand was free.
Now he displayed a pronounced limp, hoping to trigger a predators natural inclination to attack the wounded and sick.

Deception test [roll0]+5

JNAProductions
2020-08-26, 10:19 AM
The beast closes in, lurking about 50' through the fog. You still can't make it out clearly, but you see legs. A lot of thin, sharp legs.

Spatha is the first to notice it stop for a moment, then ready to rush!

Initiative time.

Beastie: [roll0]
Jondar: [roll1]
Advantage: [roll2]
Spatha: [roll3]
Niobe: [roll4]
Rhel: [roll5]

Order of Battle
Jondar
Rhel
Beastie
Spatha
Niobe

Jondar and Rhel, take your turns!

woodwalker
2020-08-26, 02:44 PM
Rhel, reasoning that things from this land might not be used to seeing in bright sun, reaches toward the sky. A huge sphere of bright light emerges from where Spatha is standing.

Casting Daylight (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Daylight#content)centered on Spatha's shield.

Not sure if this will do anything, time to experiment!

JNAProductions
2020-08-26, 03:41 PM
The beast seems completely unaffected, though you can see it a little clearer now.

It's maybe twice the height of a horse, though much longer, with hundreds of spindly, stabbing legs. Its face has small tentacles protruding-nothing combat worthy, but just enough to make it a little more gross.