PDA

View Full Version : Multiple breath weapon interaction

ayvango
2020-07-07, 07:01 AM
How would breath weapons go on cooldown if a character has two breath weapons from different sources. For example, one source could be the Dragon Shaman class, another is Dragonborn template. What if breath weapons has different cooldowns, one is 1d4, another 1d4+1?

Aotrs Commander
2020-07-07, 07:08 AM
How would breath weapons go on cooldown if a character has two breath weapons from different sources. For example, one source could be the Dragon Shaman class, another is Dragonborn template. What if breath weapons has different cooldowns, one is 1d4, another 1d4+1?

As nothing I can recalls says "you only have one breath weapon recharge," as far as I'm aware, they would be on their own independant cooldowns because they are not the same feature (in the same ways a character with wizard and sorcerer spells are independant of each other if you know both. (That one PrC whose name escapes me at the moment notwithstanding.))

Rebel7284
2020-07-07, 09:30 AM
This is never explicitly addressed in the rules. So therefore they should work independently. However, if both breath weapons use the same appendage, (your one head/throat), I could see some DMs houseruling otherwise.

Wildstag
2020-07-07, 10:56 AM
It’s not an appendage that matters but an organ, which is why the one dragon graft for getting a breath weapon specifies it is the specific organ of the type of dragon that breathes that way.

I’d say a half-dragon with the Dragon Breath feat and a graft would just have two different cooldowns.

KillianHawkeye
2020-07-07, 03:03 PM
This is never explicitly addressed in the rules. So therefore they should work independently.

Actually, the sidebar on page 22 of the Draconomicon says the opposite. "If a dragon has more than one type of breath weapon, it still can breathe only once every 1d4 rounds."

GrayDeath
2020-07-07, 03:22 PM
That sidebar, however, goes to clarify only Dragons and only within the rules UP TO Draconomicon.

So yeah, say I am a Half Blue Red Dragon with a Graft.

I ahve 3 sources, one Dragon every 1d4, one half Dragon once a day, and one Graft every X turns,

I think youll either have to check their turns all seperately or make up a Houserule with your DM.

In our Games, as long as we only use one Breath Weapon of multiples availabe, benefit from a shorter Cooldwon, for example.

KillianHawkeye
2020-07-07, 10:04 PM
I'm not sure about the graft rules, but the 1/day half-dragon breath weapon probably doesn't interact with more typical cooldown-based breath weapons, sure. But if you have multiple breath weapons that are based on the 1d4 turn cooldown, that is definitely shared between all of them.

Remuko
2020-07-07, 10:08 PM
Actually, the sidebar on page 22 of the Draconomicon says the opposite. "If a dragon has more than one type of breath weapon, it still can breathe only once every 1d4 rounds."

That was in the context of Dragons who naturally have more than one, ie most (or all?) metallic true dragons. i dont think one should extrapolate that it means that same rule applies to any additional breath weapons a dragon has.

also it wouldnt cover non-dragons with multiple breath weapons anyways.

Thurbane
2020-07-07, 11:22 PM
That was in the context of Dragons who naturally have more than one, ie most (or all?) metallic true dragons. i dont think one should extrapolate that it means that same rule applies to any additional breath weapons a dragon has.

also it wouldnt cover non-dragons with multiple breath weapons anyways.

Agreed - that rule is specific to dragons, and RAI seems to be to cover chromatic (or other) dragons that innately have multiple breath weapons.

I agree with the replies above - if a character has breath weapons with different cooldowns, unless anything in the individual ability says otherwise, I believe RAW is to track them separately.