PDA

View Full Version : Playing Satyrs and other Feys - how to counter Protection from Evil and nasty effects

follacchioso
2020-07-07, 10:17 AM
Satyrs are a new playable race from Odysseys of Theros.

On a first look, they seem very strong, with Magic Resistance, bonus skills, faster speed, and so on.

However, the smallprint says that they are a fey race. This doesn't seem to be a big deal until you realize the number of spells and effects that work against fey creatures:
- Protection vs Good and Evil will give any character a solid defence against your attacks and spells
- Arcana Clerics and Nature paladins can turn you (although they can't destroy you)
- Spells like Forbiddance can potentially destroy you in a few turns, if you don't dispel them fast enough

Does anyone has experience playing a fey character?

Is there anything that a fey character can do to counter or protect themselves against these effects?

Dork_Forge
2020-07-07, 10:40 AM
This seems like it'd be more of an issue in a PvP setting or if a DM builds NPCs using player rules, unless a big bad is looking for weaknesses for each party member, I can't imagine this being much of a problem.

follacchioso
2020-07-07, 01:21 PM
This seems like it'd be more of an issue in a PvP setting or if a DM builds NPCs using player rules, unless a big bad is looking for weaknesses for each party member, I can't imagine this being much of a problem.Well, I actually play a good amount of PvP, hence my question.

Dork_Forge
2020-07-07, 01:54 PM
Well, I actually play a good amount of PvP, hence my question.

In which case: Counter Spell, Dispel Magic, Mage Slayer to help break concentration, keep out of 30ft range, plug your ears (deafen yourself), Blink, Heat Metal (on their holy symbol, assuming it contains metal).

Joe the Rat
2020-07-07, 03:36 PM
On the other hand, celebrate your immunity to hold person and other humanoid-specific effects.
(Unless they actually dual-typed them like a smart person would)

MaxWilson
2020-07-07, 04:17 PM
Satyrs are a new playable race from Odysseys of Theros.

On a first look, they seem very strong, with Magic Resistance, bonus skills, faster speed, and so on.

However, the smallprint says that they are a fey race. This doesn't seem to be a big deal until you realize the number of spells and effects that work against fey creatures:
- Protection vs Good and Evil will give any character a solid defence against your attacks and spells
- Arcana Clerics and Nature paladins can turn you (although they can't destroy you)
- Spells like Forbiddance can potentially destroy you in a few turns, if you don't dispel them fast enough

Does anyone has experience playing a fey character?

Is there anything that a fey character can do to counter or protect themselves against these effects?

Same things that a humanoid character does to mitigate vulnerability to Hold Person/Burden of Time/Magic Jar/other nasty humanoid-only effects (or humanoid- and beast-only): Counterspell/Dispel, kill the caster, get total cover, or leave the vicinity (teleporting if necessary).

With the exception of Protection From Evil, anti-fey effects seem much less common than anti-humanoid effects. Protection From Evil is a defensive effect which also requires concentration so it's not a big deal--just switch targets and let someone else handle this one until it loses concentration, or find some way to get offsetting advantage (e.g. if you're melee, knock the target prone; if you're a Crossbow Expert, throw a net or even just have an animated skeleton Help another skeleton do so), or failing that, ignore the disadvantage and just keep shooting anyway until it loses concentration. In short, you cope with it just like you cope with Invisible Stalker opponents and Flameskulls who cast Blur and then Shield themselves, etc.--you find a way to win despite temporary disadvantage.