PDA

View Full Version : Monk/Fighter build question

Dayaz
2020-07-07, 02:59 PM
How viable would it be a Monk (Kensai)/Fighter (Battlemaster) or Monk (Kensai)/Fighter (Samurai)? Trying to theory craft a build for Inosuke from Kimetsu no Yaiba and thought I'd ask around.

Man_Over_Game
2020-07-07, 03:04 PM
How viable would it be a Monk (Kensai)/Fighter (Battlemaster) or Monk (Kensai)/Fighter (Samurai)? Trying to theory craft a build for Inosuke from Kimetsu no Yaiba and thought I'd ask around.

As long as you don't go more than 4 levels in both classes, you won't risk a redundant Extra Attack level and you'll be fine. You'll have more luck with the Battlemaster combo, since you aren't creating competition for your Bonus Action that you'll otherwise have to deal with as a Samurai.

Monks generally get more out of more levels than most martials, so I'd suggest 4 Fighter/16 Monk.

Waazraath
2020-07-07, 03:33 PM
As long as you don't go more than 4 levels in both classes, you won't risk a redundant Extra Attack level and you'll be fine. You'll have more luck with the Battlemaster combo, since you aren't creating competition for your Bonus Action that you'll otherwise have to deal with as a Samurai.

Monks generally get more out of more levels than most martials, so I'd suggest 4 Fighter/16 Monk.

This. Monk 18 is also very nice, so if you don't mind not picking a subclass fighter 2 / monk 18 might be nice as well. If not, then 3/17 or 4/16 are both fine. Check your DM if you can use an UA fighting style, else your stuck with duelist style that only works on half your attacks. (unless you plan to go ranged of course).

SLOTHRPG95
2020-07-08, 12:48 AM
I'm always tempted to follow up Monk with more Monk, due to both extra goodies basically each level, and also always wanting more Ki rather than less. With that said, a Fighter dip can add a lot (fighting style, action surge, BM dice, etc.). It's definitely a viable build, but I'd also say you needn't restrict yourself to 1-4 levels of Fighter if you're looking at interesting mid-level features (e.g. Wis save proficiency from Samurai, extra/larger BM dice, or Extra Extra attack). Going 5+/5+ in two martial classes isn't a cardinal sin, it just means there's exactly one level of one of the classes where you're missing out on that level's main feature. For example, Battlemaster 15/Kensei 5 means you're principally a Fighter, but with Kensei goodies and Stunning Strike, the latter of which is huge. Is it enough to make up for losing an action surge per short rest relative to BM 17/Ken 3? Maybe, depending on your build and preferences. Either way, I don't think that the redundancy of Extra Attack as a Monk 5 feature is going to enter into your calculus. Or you could go BM 11/Ken 9, basically getting in as much Monk as possible while still getting three standard attacks per action, meaning you're rocking the same resourceless four attacks per round as a 20th level Fighter, and can Action Surge + Flurry for eight. Or if another extra attack doesn't entice you but ASIs do, Fighter 8/Monk 12 lets you max out Dex & Wis while still having some left over for fun feats. Edit: also, if you aren't in a campaign that's going to 20th level (or high levels generally), then you don't have to worry as much about missing out on high-level Monk features like Diamond Soul or Empty Body.

tl;dr there's a lot of ways to make Fighter/Monk work

animewatcha
2020-07-08, 03:54 AM
Few things here. To gain a bunch out of Kensei, you would need to be making unarmed strikes more. WOTC said no to 'sharpen the blade' applying to unarmed strikes. Flurry of blows and even the single bonus action martial arts attack must be unarmed strikes.

CTurbo
2020-07-08, 01:10 PM
I've never heard of that character so I had to google him.

I don't care for Kensei or Samurai personally and I think they're even worse combined.

It seems like he pretty much an unarmored TWF sword guy. That could be accomplished in two ways.

Kensei Monk 3/Fighter 17. This combo lets you skip armor and wield two Longswords with Dex which helps you improve AC while also improving your attacks.. I would probably choose Battlemaster. Definitely not Samurai. Of course you need the Dual Wielder feat.

Barbarian 2/Fighter 18. This combo lets you skip armor and wield two Longswords with Str.

Not sure which of the two fits his personality better.