PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Two Weapon fighting while raging question

Maus91
2020-07-07, 09:44 PM
I have a L8 barbarian who is a dual wielder. I understand that when you use your bonus action to attack with the off-hand weapon, you do NOT add your ability modifier to the damage roll. However, when my barbarian is raging would I add my Rage modifier to the damage roll as long as I'm using a Strength-based weapon in my off-hand?

The way I read the Two Weapon Fighting and the Rage rules, it does seem like the modifier restriction applies only to the ability (e.g. Strength modifier) not to any class feature (e.g. Rage bonus). Thoughts?

Nagog
2020-07-07, 10:22 PM
Sounds like you're in the clear. I'd definitely recommend picking up the Fighting style to get that extra ability modifier (perhaps your DM may be open to granting it in a feat?) but Rage Damage applies to all attacks that use Str.

Lunali
2020-07-07, 10:57 PM
You don't get to add the ability modifier to damage, but you still get to add it to your proficiency to make the attack, which means you're still using strength to attack so you still get the rage bonus to damage.

Maus91
2020-07-08, 10:53 AM
Thanks guys. I feel better about this. My group started a short campaign at L7, but after a few sessions my DM let me tweak my character so I took the Dual Wielder feat and am fighting with a Rapier and a Warhammer. For AC reasons my DEX is currently higher than my STR, so it actually makes sense for me to use the Rapier as my primary weapon still using DEX modifiers, except for during a Rage. I'm going to multiclass into a Rogue soon, and I really need it for sneak attacking too. This guy may not be the most powerful build, but he's damn fun to play. Thanks again.