PDA

View Full Version : Naming our new Inn...

aglondier
2020-07-08, 02:19 AM
After a nice windfall, our party chipped in to buy an Inn. It had previously been closed for being involved in a smuggling ring, so we want to change its name and decor, to separate it from its former reputation.

The party has been tentatively referring to ourselves as the Casketeers, and consists of the following members:

Durigal Thundercask, dwarf fighter(foehammer).
Yvae Dawnfound, human?(changeling) paladin of Sarenrae.
Ezglumber Dztmnzn, goblin rogue.
Kyras, halfelf druid.
Carlander, elf sorceror (black dragon blooded).
Skorgan Demonslayer, human? (jotun blooded for sure) bard/barbarian.
Marquis Rary Kyffithilweardell, gnome illusionist.

Looking for ideas for a name and sign for our new Inn.

Kaptin Keen
2020-07-08, 03:16 AM
I'd go with either New Inn, or Ye Olden Smuggling Den.

But ... that's me.

Edit: Oh, can I just add: Ezglumber Dztmnzn is quite the best RPG name I ever saw.

JAL_1138
2020-07-08, 07:44 AM
Lots of British inns, taverns, and pubs were named such that their signage could be painted without words, for the benefit of the illiterate. E.g., one called “the Green Dragon” could put a picture of a green dragon on the sign. Thinking about it in those terms, of what could be conveyed pictographically, might be a good source of inspiration. For some real-world examples, George Orwell used to drink at a pub called “The Dog and Duck,” the Beatles drank at one called “The Grapes” down the street a bit from the club they played at, Charles Dickens was a patron of “The Lamb and Flag,” and so on.

Jay R
2020-07-08, 12:04 PM
“The Dog and Duck,”
“The Lamb and Flag,”

I recommend the Dungeon and Dragon.

D&D_Fan
2020-07-08, 12:13 PM
I have some good names you can recycle

GreenBones Inn

The Vulture's Gizzard

The Golden Lamb

Vaern
2020-07-08, 01:16 PM
Your group is called the Casketeers? I'd go ahead and just call your inn The Crypt, or something to that effect. Decor can include having actual caskets instead of beds for your visitors to sleep in. Put a tombstone on the sign with the name on it.

Willie the Duck
2020-07-08, 01:18 PM
I've always been partial to Horseshoe Road Inn (https://www.cartalk.com/content/staff-credits).

Sapphire Guard
2020-07-08, 01:46 PM
Sign: A selection of each party member's primary weapons
Name: The Just Reward

I'm trying to think of a name with a connotation of 'Make my day, punk' with regard to troublemakers, but nothing snappy is coming to mind.

el minster
2020-07-08, 01:57 PM
The Green Man a character from celtic myth. I think Obad Hai is based on him

RagingBluMunky
2020-07-08, 02:59 PM
I've always been partial to Horseshoe Road Inn (https://www.cartalk.com/content/staff-credits).

Dang, beat me to it!

Other suggestions:
The Ape and the Coachman
The Empty Casket
The Empty Cask
The Filled Casket
Box of Surprises

Mutazoia
2020-07-09, 01:30 AM
Lots of British inns, taverns, and pubs were named such that their signage could be painted without words, for the benefit of the illiterate. E.g., one called “the Green Dragon” could put a picture of a green dragon on the sign. Thinking about it in those terms, of what could be conveyed pictographically, might be a good source of inspiration. For some real-world examples, George Orwell used to drink at a pub called “The Dog and Duck,” the Beatles drank at one called “The Grapes” down the street a bit from the club they played at, Charles Dickens was a patron of “The Lamb and Flag,” and so on.

AAAaaannnd now I have Van Wilder 2: The rise of Taj stuck in my head ("The **** and Bulls")

TheStranger
2020-07-09, 07:53 AM
My go-to slightly clever inn name is the Cart & Horse. I also like Ye Olde Extra E Taverne. Or go for truth in advertising with Murderhobo’s or the Plot Hook.

Break the fourth wall entirely - name it Holiday Inn, Hotel California, etc. I’d only go this route if your group is likely to stick a name like that on it regardless of the actual name, though.

And any common phrase ending in “in” works to varying degrees.
Dewdrop Inn
Wok Inn (a Chinese restaurant near my house)
Whatthecatdragged Inn
Etc.

You know your group, though. What sort of name is everybody likely to actually use in play? As in, “We buy gear and meet up back at the...”

JAL_1138
2020-07-09, 09:09 AM

Gotta love Car Talk :smallbiggrin:

Willie the Duck
2020-07-09, 10:34 AM
Gotta love Car Talk :smallbiggrin:

Erasmus B. Dragon would rock in a pseudo-medieval setting. :smalltongue:

Phhase
2020-07-09, 02:11 PM
I've always been partial to The Coiled Sword.

aglondier
2020-07-10, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the ideas.

Our group discussed them and finally settled on The Grinning Cask, with a grinning barrel mimic for the sign.