PDA

View Full Version : DM Help The Idea of "luck the Prestige class"

GrayDeath
2020-07-08, 01:44 PM
So, a player in our smaller game came up to the Main DM and myself (Co-DMing) and asked if he could build a 5 Level Rogue Prestige Class centered around being lucky.

Things like "Your D20 have no 1/2 19s"enter similar stuff" or "Reroll all rolls x times/day" and "aadd a D4 per HD to your sneak attack up to Level times/day" and stuff like that.

Since neither the other DM nor myself had something like that flying around, and we dont really wsee a problem with it, here my querstiuon:;

Did anyone of you already build something like it? if yes, can we use it?

If no, how would you go to making it?

My Idea so far (we play 3.x):

5 Level Prestige CLass, gains 6+Con Bonus HP per Level, med BAB,Skill pts, Class Skills as rogue, must choose at Level 1 to either progress sneak attack or other Rogue features as if taken a rogue level, gains one specific Luck Featuer per Level.

Should be workable, no?

Thanks in advance.

el minster
2020-07-08, 01:52 PM
were is this from

tyckspoon
2020-07-08, 02:07 PM
If you have access Complete Scoundrel has a bunch of Luck Feats and a prestige class built on this idea called Fortune's Friend - it sounds like it's already pretty close to your idea, and if you have the book you can check and see if it fits what you want already or use it as inspiration to produce a customized version.

Luck feats each give you one or two Luck Rerolls, plus allow you to apply them to various things depending on the feat (so you can get one to apply to saves, one to apply to skill checks, etc, and you get more rerolls plus can use them on a broader variety of things as you get more feats.)

Fortune's Friend gives you more Luck rerolls, a couple bonus Luck feats, and a few abilities that basically say 'I'm just gonna be super lucky this round', which manifests as granting a Luck bonus to (attacks/saves/skill checks) for that round.

Complete Arcane also has a more caster-centric take on a luck/fortune-manipulation based class called Fatespinner.

reddir
2020-07-08, 02:20 PM
Luck is a fun mechanic if it fits your group. It is brilliant for giving the sense of 'Lottery' or 'Gacha' or 'Lootbox'.

Recent D&D edition has the "Advantage" and "Disadvantage" concepts which are a kind of luck (best or worst of 2 rolls), even if a bit boring in use.

GURPS system has a few types of luck offered that can feel a bit more dramatic.
"Serendipity" is a nice one where a certain number of times each session the player can ask for a 'lucky event' that is improbable but possible - like there just happens to be a carriage stopped when you need to make a getaway, or the guard needs to use the privy just when you want to sneak past. All subject to GM control and veto of course.

I think these types of luck are more interesting and carry more narrative weight than a simple reroll.

el minster
2020-07-08, 02:33 PM
There is also a luck stealer from RotW I think

GrayDeath
2020-07-08, 03:03 PM
If you have access Complete Scoundrel has a bunch of Luck Feats and a prestige class built on this idea called Fortune's Friend - it sounds like it's already pretty close to your idea, and if you have the book you can check and see if it fits what you want already or use it as inspiration to produce a customized version.

Luck feats each give you one or two Luck Rerolls, plus allow you to apply them to various things depending on the feat (so you can get one to apply to saves, one to apply to skill checks, etc, and you get more rerolls plus can use them on a broader variety of things as you get more feats.)

Fortune's Friend gives you more Luck rerolls, a couple bonus Luck feats, and a few abilities that basically say 'I'm just gonna be super lucky this round', which manifests as granting a Luck bonus to (attacks/saves/skill checks) for that round.

Complete Arcane also has a more caster-centric take on a luck/fortune-manipulation based class called Fatespinner.

Sadly, dfont have Complete Scoundrel.

Can see if I can get my hands on a copy though, thanks!

were is this from

what you mean?

Less joking: Short, unclear questions are incredibly unhelpful.

Where is what from?
I explained everything, including Editions used, pretty well, I think, sooo.....?

TheCount
2020-07-08, 03:18 PM
a misunderstanding i think, he thought thats a class in a book, and wanted to know wich one.

i needed to read your opening post twice to realize you asked opinions for a class you MADE yourself, instead of one from a book.

sounds nice to me tbh, and i would offer the shape soul meld (lucky dice) for the pool.

Thurbane
2020-07-08, 06:35 PM
Yeah, seriously, the luck mechanics/feats and PrC in Complete Scoundrel are pretty much ideal for this concept.

Here's some PrCs I know of, related to luck (most are for casters, unfortunately):

Auspician (Faiths and Pantheons): caster based, full casting progression.
Fatemaker (Planar Handbook): gets it's own arcane spell casting (4th level spells max).
Fatespinner (Complete Arcna): caster based, 4/5 casting progression.
Fortune's Friend (Complete Scoundrel): this is probably closest to what you're looking for. Also partially progresses casting, 2/5.
Luckstealer (RotW) (as mentioned): Halfling only, caster based. 7/10 casting progression.

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-07-09, 03:41 AM
Other people have covered the Luck feats and luck-themed prestige classes. A feat that seems to have flown under the radar so far is Shape Soulmeld (Lucky Dice). A Rogue isn't likely to have uses for their swift actions, and this lets you assign a +1 bonus to your choice of attacks, saves, or skill checks each round, and you get all three if you roll a 7 on 2d6. Open Least Chakra (hands) will also turn it into an AOE, granting the bonus to all allies within 30ft.

Alternatively, you could put a level or more into Incarnate to not need to spend the feat(s). The Umbral Disciple prestige class combines this and Rogue, basically.

All these are from Magic of Incarnum.

TheCount
2020-07-09, 05:21 AM
Other people have covered the Luck feats and luck-themed prestige classes. A feat that seems to have flown under the radar so far is Shape Soulmeld (Lucky Dice). A Rogue isn't likely to have uses for their swift actions, and this lets you assign a +1 bonus to your choice of attacks, saves, or skill checks each round, and you get all three if you roll a 7 on 2d6. Open Least Chakra (hands) will also turn it into an AOE, granting the bonus to all allies within 30ft.

Alternatively, you could put a level or more into Incarnate to not need to spend the feat(s). The Umbral Disciple prestige class combines this and Rogue, basically.

All these are from Magic of Incarnum.

*Khm*

a misunderstanding i think, he thought thats a class in a book, and wanted to know wich one.

i needed to read your opening post twice to realize you asked opinions for a class you MADE yourself, instead of one from a book.

sounds nice to me tbh, and i would offer the shape soul meld (lucky dice) for the pool.

The umbral disciple is good though, gives you HiPS.

GrayDeath
2020-07-09, 11:15 AM
We can get our hands on the book.

Thank you for offering the perfect amount of solutions.

Lets see which one he`ll pick. :)

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-07-10, 03:10 AM
snip

Well, not sure how I missed that. Sorry!