PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Spells for a Love Domain?

Palanan
2020-07-08, 08:12 PM
Are there any spells which would be especially suited to a Love domain?

I’m aware of the Love subdomain from the APG, but I’m wondering if there are any spells which would fit Love as a thematic domain, with the emphasis on love in all its aspects. I’m open to all official Paizo content. Is there anything suitable out there?

legomaster00156
2020-07-08, 08:32 PM
Here's an easy one: Matchmaker (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/matchmaker/).

Maat Mons
2020-07-08, 08:53 PM
According to the ancient Greeks, there are 8 kinds of love. With only 9 spells in a domain, you don't have that much slack if you want a spell for each one.

Biggus
2020-07-08, 11:42 PM
Compassionate Ally?

https://pathfinder.d20srd.org/ultimateMagic/spells/compassionateAlly.html#compassionate-ally

Euphoric Tranquility?

https://pathfinder.d20srd.org/advancedPlayersGuide/spells/euphoricTranquility.html#euphoric-tranquility

Joyful Rapture?

https://pathfinder.d20srd.org/ultimateMagic/spells/joyfulRapture.html#joyful-rapture

Helluin
2020-07-09, 12:32 AM
my thoughts:

lvl 1: Charm Person
lvl 2: Matchmaker, as legomaster pointed out
lvl 3: Reckless Infatuation
lvl 4: Charm Monster
lvl 5: Break Enchantment
lvl 6: Telepathic Bond
lvl 7: Heroism, Greater
lvl 8: Power Word: Stun
lvl 9: Sympathy

Vizzerdrix
2020-07-09, 09:59 AM
I bet BoEF (the book that shall not be named!) would have a love domain. :smallredface:

reddir
2020-07-09, 10:35 AM
I bet BoEF (the book that shall not be named!) would have a love domain. :smallredface:

No Love Domain.

Joining Domain:
1. Find a Soulmate - know who/where/reciprocation of potential True Love.
2. Mantle of Love - morale bonus on saves (not really a Love spell as written, just a line of sight buff to saves :smallfrown: , should probably reflavor to be based on affection or such)
3. Lifebond - permanent, know location/condition of one designated as True Love.
...(other spells in domain are not actually love-based, but can probably be flavored to be)

Psyren
2020-07-09, 11:14 AM
Are there any spells which would be especially suited to a Love domain?

I’m aware of the Love subdomain from the APG, but I’m wondering if there are any spells which would fit Love as a thematic domain, with the emphasis on love in all its aspects. I’m open to all official Paizo content. Is there anything suitable out there?

I acknowledge that you're aware of the Love (sub)domain that currently exists - what might help focus our search is identifying if there are specific spells on the list you feel don't fit or should be replaced, so that those specific spell levels can be targeted. Here is the current Love Domain list (i.e. the Charm domain list with replaced* spells):

1st—charm person
2nd—enthrall*
3rd—suggestion
4th—heroism
5th—charm monster
6th—geas/quest
7th—insanity
8th—euphoric tranquility*
9th—dominate monster

For me personally - I'm not sure domination and insanity (and maybe geas) fit well with "Love", and Suggestion feels too short-term, but I could see the rest fitting. I like the idea of replacing Geas with Greater Heroism, Dominate Monster with Sympathy, and Suggestion or Enthrall with Matchmaker. I think Euphoric Tranquility can be dropped to 7 to replace Insanity, and in its place at 8th, Joyful Rapture.

Palanan
2020-07-09, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by legomaster00156
Here's an easy one: Matchmaker.

Originally Posted by Biggus
*snip*

These are excellent suggestions, thanks.

Originally Posted by Helluin
my thoughts:

Some good ones in here as well.

Originally Posted by Psyren
I acknowledge that you're aware of the Love (sub)domain that currently exists - what might help focus our search is identifying if there are specific spells on the list you feel don't fit or should be replaced, so that those specific spell levels can be targeted.

With the exception of Euphoric Tranquility, none of the Love subdomain spells really fit what I’m going for. Enthrall, Geas, Suggestion, even Charm Person are all too focused on forcing behavior, and I have no idea why Insanity, Heroism or Dominate Monster are in there, since none of them really says "love" to me.

I’m interested in spells that would relate to differing forms of love—romantic, brotherly, parental, platonic, even love for one’s community and the land. I like some of the spells suggested above, but would also like other suggestions for spells that relate as closely as possible to these aspects of love.

Psyren
2020-07-09, 12:44 PM
Heroism fits for me personally because it captures themes of valor to protect a loved one. I agree with you on the coercive spells being removed, but charm effects could fit as they don't dictate the subject's behavior so much as they affect how you are perceived by the subject. Fair enough if you don't want these though.

For familial love, spells that let you check up on family might be good here - Status and Greater Status for example.

Concerning Love for places/concepts (like love of the land) - I think you'll have a hard time squeezing these into this domain when there are other domains with more of a nature focus.

Palanan
2020-07-09, 01:08 PM
Heroism fits for me personally because it captures themes of valor to protect a loved one.

Bit of a stretch for me, but I can see your take on it.

For familial love, spells that let you check up on family might be good here - Status and Greater Status for example.

These are possibilities—Baby Monitor and Greater Baby Monitor.

Still open to other suggestions. Apart from Plant Growth, are there any Pathfinder spells that enhance fertility?

afroakuma
2020-07-09, 01:57 PM
Might try this:

1st: unbreakable heart
2nd: compassionate ally
3rd: accept affliction
4th: absolution
5th: telepathic bond
6th: joyful rapture
7th: unshakable zeal
8th: brilliant inspiration
9th: sympathy

Psyren
2020-07-09, 02:18 PM
Ooh, Accept Affliction is a good one. I wasn't aware of that spell before.

Palanan
2020-07-09, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by afroakuma
Might try this:

That’s just brilliant, thanks.

Ooh, Accept Affliction is a good one. I wasn't aware of that spell before.

I’ve seen it before, just couldn’t bring it to mind, although I had a vague sense it was there. Perfect for my concept.

Are there any other spells in the same general vein, of self-abnegation for the sake of others?

Gauntlet
2020-07-09, 02:29 PM
Are there any other spells in the same general vein, of self-abnegation for the sake of others?

Shield Other?

afroakuma
2020-07-09, 02:34 PM

Blood of the martyr lets a willing (yay!) or helpless (boo...) creature turn their blood into healing fluid. They have to take bleed damage, but others recover from it. Transfer regeneration lets you give up your renegeration temporarily to provide the benefits to another (pretty narrow). Guardian of faith is a defensive buff that the recipient can surrender to another. Life pact pools hp to stabilize fallen allies, and of course shield other. Siphon magic fits in this same vein as well.

Palanan
2020-07-09, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by afroakuma
*snip*

Overall these are excellent, thanks.

Blood of the Martyr is an odd one, though, and I'm not sure what practical benefits it offers over a simple Cure Moderate Wounds.

Kurald Galain
2020-07-09, 03:12 PM
Blood of the Martyr is an odd one, though, and I'm not sure what practical benefits it offers over a simple Cure Moderate Wounds.
Heals multiple creatures for a single spell slot.

I was just about to suggest Life Pact, too. Reflexive Barrier is a decent protect-my-loved-one effect.

Telonius
2020-07-10, 10:50 AM
Lastai (from Book of Exalted Deeds) has the "Pleasure" domain:

1) Remove Fear
2) Lastai's Caress
3) Heart's Ease
4) Remove Fatigue
5) Eagle's Splendor, Mass
6) Celestial Blood
7) Empyreal Ecstasy
8) Spread of Contentment
9) Sublime Revelry

Inner Beauty is one from Fiendish Codex 1 that could work.