PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Runecaster: Artificer of Written Power

sandmote
2020-07-08, 09:31 PM
This page on the Homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/sE6iIiB4R)

Like the name suggests, this subclass draws from the Runecaster from the old Giantcraft book. There's also influence from the 4e Runepriest. The runes you can get infusions for are either in Sky King's Thunder, or here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?615131-Additional-Giant-Runes).

I know the UA Rune Knight is a fighter, but I figure an artificer fits better with the mechanical aspects of forming written runes in various objects as a method of magic use.

Fluff
Trainees in the magic runes of giants, runecasters have a limited ability to recreate the runes of long lost Ostia, invoking a portion of the power of such runes in their craft. While the power to recreate the full runes of old has not been discovered, weaker powers of the runes are still created in cloistered studies and a number of the stronger giant strongholds throughout the planes.

Tool Proficiency
When you choose this specialization at 3rd level you gain proficiency with calligrapher's supplies. If you already have this proficiency, you gain proficiency with one other type of artisan's tools of your choice.

Runecaster Spells
Starting at 3rd level, you always have certain spells prepared after you reach particular levels in this class, as shown in the Runecaster Spells table. These spells count as artificer spells for you, but they don’t count against the number of artificer spells you prepare.

At 3rd level, you learn an additional two infusions, chosen from the runic infusions below. Whenever you would be able to learn an additional infusion, you can choose one from the following list as well. Unlike most of an artificer's infusions, you cannot infuse the rune as they were crafted in the days of Ostia's glory. Instead, you must immediately transfer the rune to a valid object or point, which counts as an infusion for you.

Your first rune transfer does not count against your total number of infusions. When you reach certain levels in this class, you can create more additional rune transfers in addition to your normal maximum number of infusions: two at 6th level and three at 15th level.

Runecaster Spells
Level Spells
3rd Alarm, Illusatory Script
5th Heat Metal, Knock
9th Aura of Vitality, Elemental Weapon
13th Banishment, Stone Shape
17th Animate Objects, Wall of Stone

Runic Infusions
At 3rd level, you learn an additional two runic infusions, chosen from the list below. Whenever you would be able to learn an additional infusion, you can choose an additional infusion from the following runic infusions instead.

When you use your action to imbue an object you would be able to transfer the Rune to, the rune appears on the object as described in the Magic items description.

The first items you have infused with a rune doesn't count against your number of infused items.

Replicable Rune Transfers (2nd 3rd-Level Runecaster)

Magic Item
Transfers
Attunement

Candle of the Lys Rune
One
No

Claw of the Wyrm Rune
One
No

Cloak of the Tomt Rune
Two
One

Gavel of the Venn Rune
One
No

Oar of the Ro Rune
One
No

Orb of the Stein Rune
Two
Yes

Saddle of the Ferd Rune
Two
No

Skog Heartwood Staff
Two
Yes

Vekst Bandage
One
No

Waterskin of the Bronn
Two
No

Replicable Rune Transfers (6th-Level Runecaster)

Magic Item
Transfers
Attunement

Banner of the Krig Rune
One
No

Die of the Veddle Rune
Two
Yes

Compass of the Drom Rune
Two
One

Hammer of the Smi Rune
Two
One

Lantern of the Vaken Rune
One
No

Pennant of the Wind Rune
Two
Yes

Replicable Rune Transfers (10th-Level Runecaster)

Magic Item
Transfers
Attunement

Bowl of the Syn Rune
Two
Yes

Ingot of the Skold Rune
Two
One

Opal of the Ild Rune
Two
One

Shard of the Ise Rune
Two
Yes

Teacup of the Prognose Rune
Two
One

Runic Artistry
At 5th level, you know how to create the rune of defiance to block yourself from harm. When an attacker that you can see hits you with an attack, you use your reaction to halve the attack's damage against you.

Typically, this rune is drawn over your clothing or armor, but some runecasters instead tattoo it onto their own bodies.

Wrathful Blows
At 5th level, you learn to create the rune of defiance to better repel hostile creatures. When a creature makes an attack against you, you can store the attack's power into the rune of defiance (no action required by you). When you hit the creature with an attack or spell before the end of your next turn, the damage you deal is increased by an amount equal to your Intelligence modifier. The stored power is lost once you have used this feature on an inidividual creature, but you can apply the damage to each creature to have made an attack against you.

Typically, this rune is drawn over your clothing or armor, but some runecasters instead tattoo it onto their bodies.

Runic Glyphs
Starting at 9th level, you can craft short lasting runes in an emergency. As an action you can cast the Glyph of Warding spell, requiring no material components. You can only have one such glyph at a time, and it only remains for 1 hour before the glyph fades and loses all power.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Intelligence modifer, and you regain all uses at the end of a long rest.

Runic Defiance
At 5th 9th level, you learn to modify your rune of defiance to absorb attacks of those around you. When an attacker that you can see hits you with an attack, you use your reaction to halve the attack's damage against you.

Word of Defiance
By 15th level, the defensive protections of your runes carry over into your attacks. When a creature makes an attack against you, it takes additional damage equal to your intelligence modifier the first time you deal damage to it before the end of your next turn.

Rune Shield
By 15th level, your rune of defiance constantly strengthens yourself and your allies. You and each creature of your choice within 10 feet gains a +2 bonus to AC and all saving throws.

Twelvetrees
2020-07-11, 03:08 PM
Runic Infusions
At 3rd level, you learn an additional two runic infusions, chosen from the list below. Whenever you would be able to learn an additional infusion, you can choose an additional infusion from the following runic infusions instead.

This section could use some clarification. I think you can create runic items with this ability as well as create the magic items that result from the rune transfer of one of those magic items. What happens if you create one of the runic items and then the rune gets transferred? Does it still count against the number of infusions you can have active at once?

The first table should also be renamed 3rd-level Runecaster. I know it doesn't match the normal tables to rename it as such, but you also can't choose this subclass at 2nd level.

I like that you've tied this feature to another piece of your homebrew - seeing how you envision them working together intrigues me (and the Giant Runes you came up with are cool, so I'm happy to see them somewhere else!).

Runic Artistry
At 5th level, you know how to create the rune of defiance to block yourself from harm. When an attacker that you can see hits you with an attack, you use your reaction to halve the attack's damage against you.

Typically, this rune is drawn over your clothing or armor, but some runecasters instead tattoo it onto their own bodies.

No concerns here, just a question on intentionality. This is meant to be able to stack with resistance the same way the rogue's Uncanny Dodge does, correct?

Runic Glyphs
Starting at 9th level, you can craft short lasting runes in an emergency. As an action you can cast the Glyph of Warding spell, requiring no material components. You can only have one such glyph at a time, and it only remains for 1 hour before the glyph fades and loses all power.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Intelligence modifer, and you regain all uses at the end of a long rest.

It would be handy to say if this does or doesn't require a spell slot to be spent. I don't think it does, from the way it's written, but I'm not certain.

Overall

This comes across as underpowered, to me. It certainly gives you more options for Infusions, but that isn't so much a boost as it is a broadening of already extant features.

Runecaster spells aren't terribly impactful either - half of them are already present on the artificer's spell list, and while having them always prepared is nice, it's of lesser worth compared to other artificer subclasses.

Runic Artistry is good.

Runic Glyphs and Word of Defiance feel lackluster when compared to the other artificer subclasses.

Runic Glyphs sounds good, but I'm struggling to come up with a use for it where you wouldn't be better off just casting a spell intead. I suppose it allows you to lay down Explosive Runes quickly.

Word of Defiance is about as powerful as the Artillerist's Arcane Firearm feature. I think it could be shifted down to be a lower-level feature and something else could replace it here. Shifting it down also puts it more in line with the original Runepriest ability.

sandmote
2020-07-11, 04:28 PM
So, I have no memory of posting this, and the first link previously went to the workspace where I put subclasses together. The subclass changed quite a bit before I got a response, I'm going to have to put in some hybridization. The version I set up before Twelvetree's response was maybe a bit overtuned, and I'll copy in the changes.

This section could use some clarification. I think you can create runic items with this ability as well as create the magic items that result from the rune transfer of one of those magic items. What happens if you create one of the runic items and then the rune gets transferred? Does it still count against the number of infusions you can have active at once? The intent is that you can only create the items you'd transfer the rune to. Which is why some of those runes are a bit rarer than the other infusion available at a similar level.

I like that you've tied this feature to another piece of your homebrew - seeing how you envision them working together intrigues me (and the Giant Runes you came up with are cool, so I'm happy to see them somewhere else!). The runes were actually written for this.

No concerns here, just a question on intentionality. This is meant to be able to stack with resistance the same way the rogue's Uncanny Dodge does, correct? Yep, its a direct knockoff of that, partially because I read the runecaster from Giantcraft as a (magic using) rogue analog more than a wizard analog. The class has almost entirely has buffs and utility options they can keep using indefinitely.

It would be handy to say if this does or doesn't require a spell slot to be spent. I don't think it does, from the way it's written, but I'm not certain. To be honest I'd rather just drop that feature for something else. I'll try the extra stance from the Rune Shield paragon path.

This comes across as underpowered, to me. It certainly gives you more options for Infusions, but that isn't so much a boost as it is a broadening of already extant features.

Runecaster spells aren't terribly impactful either - half of them are already present on the artificer's spell list, and while having them always prepared is nice, it's of lesser worth compared to other artificer subclasses. Yeah, this was my concern, and there was an incredibly convoluted version of the Zealot Barbarian's Divine Fury added after posting. It's turning into sort of an alchemist but with damage reduction instead of healing. I think.

Word of Defiance is about as powerful as the Artillerist's Arcane Firearm feature. I think it could be shifted down to be a lower-level feature and something else could replace it here. Shifting it down also puts it more in line with the original Runepriest ability. On the other hand, Arcane Firearm applies without you having been attacked, and is therefore more flexible. I'll make it more like the 4e version, where it applies no matter who you swing at.

Twelvetrees
2020-07-12, 01:07 PM
Wrathful Blows
At 5th level, you learn to create the rune of defiance to better repel hostile creatures. When a creature makes an attack against you, you can store the attack's power into the rune of defiance (no action required by you). When you hit the creature with an attack or spell before the end of your next turn, the damage you deal is increased by an amount equal to your Intelligence modifier. The stored power is lost once you have used this feature on an inidividual creature, but you can apply the damage to each creature to have made an attack against you.

Typically, this rune is drawn over your clothing or armor, but some runecasters instead tattoo it onto their bodies.

Runic Defiance
At 5th level, you learn to modify your rune of defiance to absorb attacks of those around you. When an attacker that you can see hits you with an attack, you use your reaction to halve the attack's damage against you.

One of these is supposed to be the 9th level feature, right?

Rune Shield
By 15th level, your rune of defiance constantly strengthens yourself and your allies. You and each creature of your choice within 10 feet gains a +2 bonus to AC and all saving throws.

Ooh, this is interesting. A paladin-esque aura that also boosts AC is a potent tool indeed. I'm a fan, especially because it encourages shield-wall tactics to get the AC boost from this feature.

sandmote
2020-07-12, 03:39 PM
One of these is supposed to be the 9th level feature, right? Dear lord has this subclass been a mess. Yes, thank you.