PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Nonmagical gear for 5th level warblade

Fixer
2007-10-29, 01:10 PM
Ok, I am trying to put the finishing touches on a character before I roll stats (or have them assigned, not sure how the GM is going to do this) on this character. I am guessing he is going to be level 5 (GM said a good backstory would give us level 5, going down for less story) and want to give him some gear. The GM has said that magic equipment is rare so I am trying to go as non-magical as possible. The environment is pharonic desert/wasteland.

His 'training weapons' do only subdual damage. I don't know where to find costs for that so I just had them cost as a normal weapon of their type. If anyone knows where to find details on that, let me know please. He has a feat to wear the armor during the day without the normal penalties for wearing armor in the heat. Finned Armor, Frame Wheel and Sun Lenses are from Sandstorm.

What I have so far:
{table]Item|Cost
Desert Outfit (free starting clothes)|0
Backpack|2 gp
Adamantine Greataxe|3,020 gp
Training Greataxe|20 gp
Training Longsword|15 gp
Chain Shirt|100 gp
Spiked & Finned Full Plate Armor|1,600 gp
Sling|0 gp
20 Sling Bullets|2 sp
Sun Lenses|10 gp
Frame Wheel|15 gp
Barrel|2 gp
Tent|10 gp
10 days trail rations|5 gp
Bedroll|1 sp
Flint & Steel|1 gp
Everburning Torch|110 gp
200 feet of Silk Rope|40 gp
Waterskin|1 gp
10 pieces of chalk|1 sp[/table]

Shishnarfne
2007-10-29, 01:36 PM
If you're running a desert campaign, extra water never hurts...

Even if the cleric is able to create it with standard action. Without a waterskin, you can't really make the water created very portable.

Oh, and an extra light source/rope never hurt an adventurer.

My 2 cp.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-29, 02:25 PM
D&D isn't balanced for magical gear being rare. The wealth by level chart really means that if you don't have that much magical gear by that level you're going to get beaten into a pulp. This is less of a problem at low levels but if you're starting at level 5 it may become a problem later.

Unless you deliberately balance the campaign so that everyone is using weapon finesse.

Full Plate is a bad idea in desert games but without magical equipment, it's the best armour. If you're allowed one magic item then make it a defensive one.

Swooper
2007-10-29, 02:26 PM
Hmm, how are you going to carry all that? That's hundreds of pounds of gear, I hope you have a decent strength score, heh.

Other than that... you have lots and lots of rope.. but no grappling hook? Also, a dagger, some soap and a mirror. For shaving. :smalltongue:

Indon
2007-10-29, 02:30 PM
Spyglasses halve the distance penalty to Spot checks.

This penalty is normally -1 per ten feet. A Spyglass makes it -1 per twenty.

If your DM actually runs spot checks by RAW, it's ridiculously valuable.

Fixer
2007-10-29, 02:30 PM
Hmm, how are you going to carry all that? That's hundreds of pounds of gear, I hope you have a decent strength score, heh.

Other than that... you have lots and lots of rope.. but no grappling hook? Also, a dagger, some soap and a mirror. For shaving. :smalltongue:
Most of that gear he puts on his Frame Wheel and he just pulls that around. Only his combat gear is worn all the time.

(He is a hairless dwarf. Family trait. Makes his family a bit shunned but he has that dark-skinned-Mr. Clean-look going...)

leperkhaun
2007-10-29, 02:31 PM
grappling hook, climbing gear.

Blanks
2007-10-29, 02:37 PM
Chalk for marking dungeons
Torches for burning stuff
Large sack to transport loot (hmm lets make that 2 :smallcool: )

Swooper
2007-10-29, 02:56 PM
Most of that gear he puts on his Frame Wheel and he just pulls that around. Only his combat gear is worn all the time.

(He is a hairless dwarf. Family trait. Makes his family a bit shunned but he has that dark-skinned-Mr. Clean-look going...)
Right. I haven't read Sandstorm through well enough to know what a framewheel was. :smallsmile:

Fixer
2007-10-29, 03:03 PM
Right. I haven't read Sandstorm through well enough to know what a framewheel was. :smallsmile:
No worries. I am still trying to wrap my brain around what it might look like.

A pair of wooden wheels constructed around a large, heavy object, such as a block of stone. The wheels cap the ends of the object and keep it off the ground, allowing it to be rolled along the ground like an oversized log. Like a sledge, a frame wheel can be drawn by beasts of burden or by people and is difficult to steer, but it moves more easily up and down slopes than a sledge does.

The major drawback of the frame wheel is that it is usually only good for one load, after which is must be disassembled, returned to its point of departure, and built all over again around a new load. When multiple loads are of a uniform size, however, the same set of wheels can be used many times.
How the heck does THIS thing work? It can move up to 4 tons over desert terrain so it has SOMETHING odd about it...

nobodylovesyou4
2007-10-29, 04:06 PM
the frame wheel if what they used to move the blocks for the pyramids, i think. thats why its in sandstorm.

Fixer
2007-10-29, 04:20 PM
the frame wheel if what they used to move the blocks for the pyramids, i think. thats why its in sandstorm.
I would expect that was the reason why, but the description needs something. I cannot find a picture, anywhere, of what this thing MIGHT look like.

It almost describes something like a chariot, but with larger wheels and only an adjustable framework between them that you would customize to the load you are carrying.

Roderick_BR
2007-10-29, 04:34 PM
Alchemical itens are a helping hand when magic is not available.
Healing Salve (same cost as a cure light wounds potions, you rub on wounds, not drink)
Alchemical fire, holy water, and acid. The alchemical fire is risky if you fall on it, but good to light things afire quickly. Same with acid, but is useful when you need to weaken something before breaking it.
There's a feat in the Player's 2 that allows you to use your strength modifier instead of dexterity, so it can become an option, since warblades are proficient with thrown weapons, and usually have a good strength score.
Tangledfoot bags and nets are good when you don't have time to fight mooks, and just need to slow them down.
Smokesticks and sunrods can be used to confuse enemies in closed areas.