PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Intellect Devourers

Flallen
2020-07-09, 10:17 PM
This is something I've been trying to wrap my head around... when the Body Thief ability is used, the host is not dead until the Intellect Devourer leaves? It says on page 191 in the MM that the creature is ejected if the brain is restored by means of a spell like wish. Would regenerate work? I don't see a reason why it wouldn't, but I want to make sure I am not misunderstanding considering how difficult it is to otherwise remove a devourer.

MaxWilson
2020-07-09, 10:31 PM
This is something I've been trying to wrap my head around... when the Body Thief ability is used, the host is not dead until the Intellect Devourer leaves? It says on page 191 in the MM that the creature is ejected if the brain is restored by means of a spell like wish. Would regenerate work? I don't see a reason why it wouldn't, but I want to make sure I am not misunderstanding considering how difficult it is to otherwise remove a devourer.

If you're asking for a ruling: Regenerate would not normally work because it takes two minutes to restore a missing body part. (The Regenerate spell description says, "severed", but the implication is "any missing body part".) The brainless person dies after one minutes, which I'd treat as aphyxiation/heart failure. Dying does not end Regenerate, but Regenerate does not function on dead creatures. Therefore I'd rule that you need Regenerate + a spell like Revivify in the middle to bring the target back to life.

You could also use a spell like Resurrection which restores missing body parts, but they tend to be more expensive in terms of material components.

Edit: just realized you mean Regenerate without ejecting the Intellect Devourer first. I'd rule that there's no room for the brain to start regrowing until you get rid of the Intellect Devourer, so you still need the same solution as above.

Flallen
2020-07-10, 09:43 AM
Edit: just realized you mean Regenerate without ejecting the Intellect Devourer first. I'd rule that there's no room for the brain to start regrowing until you get rid of the Intellect Devourer, so you still need the same solution as above.

I suspected that that was kind of how it would work, but it is confusing since using wish to restore the brain specifically does work, so it is hard to tell what the intention was with this one. The sense I got was that it was meant to be difficult to recover from this, but I also don't want to shut down options that could be less difficult without reason.

Thank you!

Man_Over_Game
2020-07-10, 09:48 AM
I'd allow it to work with Gentle Respite. I think I'd allow it with Regenerate as well, mostly since preventing a creature from Dying is exactly what 1 HP per turn would normally do, and it could be assumed that it starts the "body part regeneration" as soon as the spell begins (not magically conjure a full brain after a minute of minor healing).

I think that anything that's a little more than just trying to slap some Healing Word on it should work, as the chances of a player having access to one of those options is still very slim.

Flallen
2020-07-10, 11:42 AM
I'd allow it to work with Gentle Respite. I think I'd allow it with Regenerate as well, mostly since preventing a creature from Dying is exactly what 1 HP per turn would normally do, and it could be assumed that it starts the "body part regeneration" as soon as the spell begins (not magically conjure a full brain after a minute of minor healing).

I think that anything that's a little more than just trying to slap some Healing Word on it should work, as the chances of a player having access to one of those options is still very slim.

I don't think anyone in my party even has access to regenerate (especially since their "healer", the 7th level Paladin is the one whose brain got eaten), but it lets me have more flexibility when they go begging to the Warlock's celestial patron for aid. Knowing if regenerate works will definitely help me account for anything the players come up with though!