PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Beguiler > Arachnomancer Dip

Thurbane
2020-07-10, 12:12 AM
If I want to enter the Underdark version of the Arachnomancer PrC with only Beguiler levels, what's the easiest way to meet the spell reqs? I'm really only looking for a 1 level dip for Spider Magic.

Spells: Able to cast spider climb, summon swarm, and web as arcane spells.

Spider Climb is already a Beguiler 2 spell, so no issues there.

I'd like to avoid Arcane Disciple since Wis will likely be a dump stat; and besides, I don't think any domains offer both of the required spells.

Levels in Wyrm Wizard would work, but result in lost caster levels, so not ideal.

Is there a way to UMD a magic item to meet the reqs?

I'm open to suggestions, with my usual disclaimers: no PF, no 3rd party, no home-brew; and Dragon or Dungeon are generally last resorts. Our table doesn't use psionics or incarnum, if that matters.

Cheers - T

Rebel7284
2020-07-10, 01:23 AM
Would Drake Helm work? Might require some UMD

Saintheart
2020-07-10, 02:35 AM
Cheesy, but does casting off scrolls count as 'able to cast'?

Thurbane
2020-07-10, 02:59 AM
Forgot to mention, we run Extra Spell as only being able to add spells from your own class list....so useless for Beguilers. We sometimes house-rule that Extra Spell acts the same as advanced learning for Beguilers, Dread Necros and Warmages.

Would Drake Helm work? Might require some UMD

It's a bit campaign specific, and may be outside of WBL for the entry I'm looking at, but a great suggestion nonetheless. https://forums.giantitp.com/images/sand/icons/icon_thumbsup.png

Cheesy, but does casting off scrolls count as 'able to cast'?

Pretty sure it doesn't, sadly for my purposes.

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-07-10, 03:25 AM
Remembered a trick Zaq pulled for Iron Chef C:

Specific Spell Requirements: A requirement based on a specific spell measures whether the character or creature in question is capable of producing the necessary effect, and as such, invocations and spell-like abilities that generate the relevant effect meet the requirements for specific spell knowledge.

So SLAs of summon swarm and web count for qualifications. I think. Maybe "as arcane spells" nullifies this. Warlocks get Summon Swarm as a least invocation, so a single level dip gives you that one. Don't know how to get web, though. Not seeing any [bloodline] feats that grant either spell, though that doesn't mean they're not out there. And there are no UA bloodlines that give either one as an SLA either, though homebrewing a bloodline is pretty easy.

Rebel7284
2020-07-10, 08:48 AM
Sculpt Self from Dragon Magazine 304 plus a custom prestige race alteration would allow this. But the XP cost is up to your DM. Also super obscure and potentially broken as all "design your own X" can be.

nedz
2020-07-10, 05:03 PM
I looked at this very question a few months ago; but I was looking at the version of Arachnomancer from Drow of the Underdark — which is very, very easy for a Beguiler to get into.

The problem you have is Web which is a level 2 spell on the Sorcerer, Wizard, Adept, Sha'ir, Death Master lists and the Ooze Domain (Fiendish Codex I). I couldn't find a race or template that gave you this as an SLA — but there *might* be one elsewhere.

So you either need to dip several levels of another class, and you are close to theurge territory here, or Arcane Disciple two domains (Summon swarm is in the Spider and Pestilence Domain). This would require Wis 12.

Thurbane
2020-07-10, 06:44 PM
I looked at this very question a few months ago; but I was looking at the version of Arachnomancer from Drow of the Underdark — which is very, very easy for a Beguiler to get into.

Err, so am I, unless I'm misreading anything?

nedz
2020-07-10, 07:00 PM
Err, so am I, unless I'm misreading anything?

I thought you were looking at the version in Forgotten Realms — Underdark ?

The two versions are slightly different, most especially in the replacing of the word and with or.

Thurbane
2020-07-10, 07:57 PM
I thought you were looking at the version in Forgotten Realms — Underdark ?

The two versions are slightly different, most especially in the replacing of the word and with or.

Ah yes, sorry, my bad, I misread your post. Underdark and Drow of the Underdark - I'm used to seeing it as DotU.

I'm definitely looking at the FR Underdark version for my purposes.

What are people's thoughts on a Beguiler UMD-ing a custom Runestaff to meet casting reqs? There seems to be some controversy as to whether UMD-ing a Runestff allows you to cast off-list spells or not using your own slots.

Same with Knowstones, IIRC.

Other than that, Drake Helm or getting the spells as SLAs should work.

TheCount
2020-07-11, 03:14 AM
would a dip in archmage for the spell like ability be, though certainly expensive, possible?

Temotei
2020-07-11, 03:37 AM
Mage of the arcane order (CArc 48) would probably work, and it isn't that hard to enter for a beguiler except for the feat requirements (you'll need to be able to prepare spells, so that's a tax, plus Cooperative Spell).