PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a semi-immortal "build"

Bruh_moment
2020-07-10, 02:20 AM
Some context first: I use a mixture of pathfinder and 3.0 (or 3.5 if the thing has been updated)

Voidmind SS fire subtype thing Corpsecrafted Necropolitan human crusader or warblade X totemist X

Now for the importante feats: troll-blooded(you knew it was coming as soon as you saw the necropolitan) and spellfire wielder(using con=cha undead rule)
(Insert other feats here)

Going crusader or warblade mostly because Iron heart surge and White Raven Tactics
Totemist is for that teleport thing

For those of you who don't know about the necropolitan troll blooded cheese
Troll-blooded gives regen 1/fire n acid
Regen converts all non breaking damage to nonlethal
Undead can't take nonlethal
Profit

Now I'm looking for ways to become immune to fire/acid and more improvements upon the "build"

Will be editing in any improvements here:

energy immunity has you covered. put it on an item or two, pay to make it permanent, and you're done.

I'd also recommend paying that off at level 3, and then immediately taking Voidmind (LA+3) to get immunity to acid damage and immunity to mind-affecting effects, among other goodies. Along that same vein, I'd also suggest adding Unseeley Fey at character creation (LA+0) to get wings and the Summer Caress/I] to gain protection against the Illithid domination effect attached to the Voidmind template (or just write into your backstory that they are already dead if you are doing creation at level 3 (ECL 6) or later).

__

I'd also recommend taking a major Genie, Efreeti bloodline for Improved Initiative and fire resistance (useful before you pay for a casting of [I]Mantle of the Fiery Spirit to get the fire subtype, but also useful afterward in case the opponent has Searing Spell). It also grants immunity to fire (ex) at level 20, although that's way too late, so you still want Mantle of the Fiery Spirit first.

As for gear, I'd also recommend...

Sandals of the Vagabond or Armor of the Unending Hunt (immunity to fatigue)

Third Eye Freedom (freedom of movement)

Glaring Eye Graft (blindsight)

Ring of Counterspells (dispel magic)

Spellblade (greater dispel magic)

Otyugh Hole (Iron Will)

Soulfire armor enhancement

--

For feats, might I also recommend Bind Vestige and Improved Bind Vestige so that you can make a pact with Haagenti for immunity to transformation

NOTE to get by the undead can get regen thing, I am buying a candle of invocation and using a wish to circumvent that (kinda cheesy but hey, this whole thread is about cheese)

Venger
2020-07-10, 02:48 AM
energy immunity has you covered. put it on an item or two, pay to make it permanent, and you're done.

Bruh_moment
2020-07-10, 03:13 AM

Simple, I like it

Doctor Despair
2020-07-10, 06:33 AM
Corpsecrafted Necropolitan human crusader or warblade X totemist X

Now for the importante feats: troll-blooded(you knew it was coming as soon as you saw the necropolitan) and spellfire wielder(using con=cha undead rule)
(Insert other feats here)

You are unable to have regeneration unless you have a con score, sadly. (Also, pretty sure Corpse Crafter doesn't work on Necropolitan since it's a ritual, not a necromancy spell, although you can become spellstiched)

You instead need to take Half-Undead (Gheden), an LA +1 template, to gain immunity to nonlethal damage.

I'd also recommend paying that off at level 3, and then immediately taking Voidmind (LA+3) to get immunity to acid damage and immunity to mind-affecting effects, among other goodies. Along that same vein, I'd also suggest adding Unseeley Fey at character creation (LA+0) to get wings and the Summer Caress/I] to gain protection against the Illithid domination effect attached to the Voidmind template (or just write into your backstory that they are already dead if you are doing creation at level 3 (ECL 6) or later).

__

I'd also recommend taking a major Genie, Efreeti bloodline for Improved Initiative and fire resistance (useful before you pay for a casting of [I]Mantle of the Fiery Spirit to get the fire subtype, but also useful afterward in case the opponent has Searing Spell). It also grants immunity to fire (ex) at level 20, although that's way too late, so you still want Mantle of the Fiery Spirit first.

As for gear, I'd also recommend...

Sandals of the Vagabond or Armor of the Unending Hunt (immunity to fatigue)

Third Eye Freedom (freedom of movement)

Glaring Eye Graft (blindsight)

Ring of Counterspells (dispel magic)

Spellblade (greater dispel magic)

Otyugh Hole (Iron Will)

Soulfire armor enhancement (death effects)

Eventually, a golem graft (immunity to all magic that allows for spell resistance)

--

For feats, might I also recommend Bind Vestige and Improved Bind Vestige so that you can make a pact with Haagenti for immunity to transformation

Bruh_moment
2020-07-10, 12:37 PM
You are unable to have regeneration unless you have a con score, sadly. (Also, pretty sure Corpse Crafter doesn't work on Necropolitan since it's a ritual, not a necromancy spell, although you can become spellstiched)

I'm not sure if this is true, this does come up often when I've been working on the build and then I discovered The Atropal, an undead with regeneration in 3.5 which means you can have regen without a con score, but maybe this is a monster only rule, idk

I also don't need golem graft bc of spellfire, which using the build and some mentioned magic items or templates I can become immune to the spell fire explosion thing actually hurting me

Doctor Despair
2020-07-10, 01:32 PM
I'm not sure if this is true, this does come up often when I've been working on the build and then I discovered The Atropal, an undead with regeneration in 3.5 which means you can have regen without a con score, but maybe this is a monster only rule, idk

The Atropal is a dysfunction. See the regeneration rules:

Creatures with this extraordinary ability recover from wounds quickly and can even regrow or reattach severed body parts. Damage dealt to the creature is treated as nonlethal damage, and the creature automatically cures itself of nonlethal damage at a fixed rate per round, as given in the creature’s entry.

Certain attack forms, typically fire and acid, deal damage to the creature normally; that sort of damage doesn’t convert to nonlethal damage and so doesn’t go away. The creature’s description includes the details. A regenerating creature that has been rendered unconscious through nonlethal damage can be killed with a coup de grace. The attack cannot be of a type that automatically converts to nonlethal damage.

Creatures with regeneration can regrow lost portions of their bodies and can reattach severed limbs or body parts. Severed parts die if they are not reattached.

Regeneration does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation.

Attack forms that don’t deal hit point damage ignore regeneration.

An attack that can cause instant death only threatens the creature with death if it is delivered by weapons that deal it lethal damage.

A creature must have a Constitution score to have the regeneration ability.

Curelomosaurus
2020-07-10, 02:32 PM
A few thoughts on going undead:

My go-to feat with undead builds is Wedded to History (Throwback), which you take at first level to become immune to effects targeting your type. It's not that great on a humanoid (just take Otherworldly to become an outsider with all their fun traits), but once you go necropolitan, it takes care of many of your vulnerabilities (you can no longer be turned or rebuked, detect undead can't find you, disrupting weapons don't affect you, etc). It also has nice flavor for immortality.

A lot of people also suggest taking Lifesense, which lets you auto-detect any living creature nearby... allowing you to beat invisibility, stealth, Darkstalker, etc.

As for the Corpsecrafter idea, that doesn't work, but you can still be created by a UA necromancer 1/Dread necromancer 8 for +4 HP/level, +4 Str, and +4 Dex.

Remember that you can take ageing penalties before becoming necropolitan, for up to -6 to physical stats and +3 to mental stats. With no Con score and +4 to your other physical scores, that effectively means either +1 Str/Dex and +2 to mental scores (if you're Old), or -2 Str/Dex and +3 to mental scores (if you're Venerable).

If you can wait until 5th level, the Silveraith (https://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/silveraith.shtml) template combined with the feat Ghostly Grasp is hands-down better than Necropolitan. You lose your Strength and Constitution scores and get immunity to electricity, cold, and polymorph, along with a nice touch attack, free counterspelling that damages the caster, and all of the benefits of being incorporeal with none of the drawbacks. You still can't have regeneration, sadly, but you get plenty in exchange.

One more thing: If you take heavy taint before/while becoming undead, you can get 4 bonus feats- and being undead makes you immune to the negative effects of taint, so the feats are as good as free. This lets you take Lifesense, Wedded to History, and Ghostly Grasp, and still have an extra feat slot.

Bruh_moment
2020-07-10, 03:00 PM
The Atropal is a dysfunction. See the regeneration rules:

Creatures with this extraordinary ability recover from wounds quickly and can even regrow or reattach severed body parts. Damage dealt to the creature is treated as nonlethal damage, and the creature automatically cures itself of nonlethal damage at a fixed rate per round, as given in the creature’s entry.

Certain attack forms, typically fire and acid, deal damage to the creature normally; that sort of damage doesn’t convert to nonlethal damage and so doesn’t go away. The creature’s description includes the details. A regenerating creature that has been rendered unconscious through nonlethal damage can be killed with a coup de grace. The attack cannot be of a type that automatically converts to nonlethal damage.

Creatures with regeneration can regrow lost portions of their bodies and can reattach severed limbs or body parts. Severed parts die if they are not reattached.

Regeneration does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation.

Attack forms that don’t deal hit point damage ignore regeneration.

An attack that can cause instant death only threatens the creature with death if it is delivered by weapons that deal it lethal damage.

A creature must have a Constitution score to have the regeneration ability.

Looks like my boy is spending 8400 gold for a Candle
Wish - I wish to have the regeneration that I had from my troll blood while still remaining undead
A little dumb I know but it beats going half-undead or Warforged IMO

el minster
2020-07-10, 03:04 PM

if you're in an antimagic field you can then be killed by acid or fire you're better off applying a template that has fire and acid immunity also look into the emerald legion they do something similar to this

Bruh_moment
2020-07-10, 03:08 PM
if you're in an antimagic field you can then be killed by acid or fire you're better off applying a template that has fire and acid immunity also look into the emerald legion they do something similar to this

Forgive me if I'm wrong but can't SFW take care of an antimagic field?

el minster
2020-07-10, 03:14 PM
what is SFW?

Bruh_moment
2020-07-10, 03:15 PM
Spellfire Wielder, it's a setting specific feat iirc

Curelomosaurus
2020-07-10, 03:25 PM
If you can swallow the LA, Saint gives acid immunity.

Use the Savage Species rules to pay for the fire subtype to get immunity to fire (though you'll want to load up on fire resistance as well in case the DM starts throwing Searing Spell at you).

Doctor Despair
2020-07-10, 03:34 PM
If you can swallow the LA, Saint gives acid immunity.

Use the Savage Species rules to pay for the fire subtype to get immunity to fire (though you'll want to load up on fire resistance as well in case the DM starts throwing Searing Spell at you).

Fire variant X grants fire resist 5

Voidmind and Half-Dragon both give acid immunity

Bloodlines can grant acid or fire immunity, but not until level 20, so it's probably not worth relying on that. In the meantime, they grant resistances to their specific element,though!

Bruh_moment
2020-07-10, 03:52 PM
I think I will scrap the ring and glove and go void mind and fire subtype whatever

Do you guys think it's a good level investment to take the Lich template class for that sweet phylactery as a backup plan

el minster
2020-07-10, 05:24 PM
I saw it mentioned somewhere that half dragon can give immunity to acid and fire

Maat Mons
2020-07-10, 05:52 PM
If we're going to be so cheesy as to Wish for regeneration, why not Wish for the regeneration of a Fire Bat (Monster Manual II)? That's only overcome by cold damage, so all you need is the Flesh of the Ice Tomb feat (Dungeon 109) to complete the package.

The Tainted-Blood template (Bestiary of Krynn) gives immunity to acid damage. It's +1 CR for large creatures and also +1 LA. It can be added to any corporeal creature with a constitution score.

The Imix-Blooded template (Monster Manual V) gives immunity to fire damage by way of the fire subtype. It's +1 CR and also +1 LA. It can be applied to any evil creature.

Bear in mind though, Searing Spell (Sandstorm) bypasses fire immunity.

Doctor Despair
2020-07-10, 06:54 PM
The Tainted-Blood template (Bestiary of Krynn) gives immunity to acid damage. It's +1 CR for large creatures and also +1 LA. It can be added to any corporeal creature with a constitution score.

Is that Dragonlance? Isn't that not technically legal? Or is Dragonlance one of those things that everyone just mutually agrees to try their best not to think about because it's broken third party, or something? I remember something like that being the case.

Maat Mons
2020-07-10, 07:34 PM
Bestiary of Krynn is indeed Dragonlance. Dragonlance Campaign Setting was published by Wizards of the coast. But all the other Dragonlance books were published by Sovereign Press. They still meet my personal criteria for "not from a total rando," by virtue of having the "Official Licensed Product" logo.

Venger
2020-07-10, 11:59 PM
Do you have a page number for the rules you're referring to? I found the multi-headed template that gives the fire subtype for +1 LA... Any help digging around here? Or is that what you were referring to?

He's referring to the ritual of the elements on page 148, but just having someone cast mantle of the fiery spirit is a lot cheaper and doesn't saddle you with la

Doctor Despair
2020-07-11, 12:05 AM
He's referring to the ritual of the elements on page 148, but just having someone cast mantle of the fiery spirit is a lot cheaper and doesn't saddle you with la

I'd deleted my post because I found it soon after, but thank you! Since you're here -- do you know what kind of effect Mantle uses to grant you the subtype? I suppose the question I'm gearing towards is: would it function in an AMF/can it be dispelled? The spell itself is instantaneous, which makes me think that once you have the subtype, it's an Ex ability, right?

--

Threw together a little something as an alternative build here. No SR, but you can always buy a golem graft when you get the money, cross your fingers, and pray. Hopefully after you get 3 Crusader levels for the save reroll.

Also needs gear for true seeing (or blindsight), death effects, (soulfire) freedom of movement, languages (amulet of word twisting seems fine), initiative, and dispel magic countering.

Race: Tainted Blood Unseeley Fey Half-Undead Air-Variant Human
Level 1: Rogue-Fighter Variant: Troll-Blooded, Bind Vestige, Combat Reflexes (Fighter), Willing Deformity (Elder Evil Worship), Endurance/Diehard/Toughness (Racial)
- Three Bloodline levels -
Level 2: Wolf-Totem Barbarian: Improved Initiative (Bloodline)
Level 3: Wolf-Totem Barbarian: Improved Bind Vestige (For Haagenti), Improved Trip (Barbarian Class Feature)
- Buy Off LA +1 -
- Add Tainted Blood Template for LA +1 - (Acid/Poison Immunity) (Improved Grapple)
Level 4: Janissary: Master of Mockery (Fighter), Fire Resistance 5 (Bloodline)
Level 5: Horizon Walker: Willing Deformity: Madness (Elder Evil Worship), Immunity to Exhaustion/Fatigue (Class Feature)
Level 6: Rogue-Fighter Variant: Steadfast Determination, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Spiked Chain (Fighter)
- Buy off LA +1 -
Purchase Mantle of the Fiery Spirit casting (~16k) and Spiked Chain (325gp) (make it a Living Chain if you're just a little bit above WBL)

Result:
ECL 6
Immune to: Damage, Mind-Affecting Effects, Transformation Effects, Suffocation/Drowning, Poison, Fear, Confusion, Energy Drain, Stunning, Death by Massive Damage, Fatigue/Exhaustion.
Fire Resistance: 5.
Variant Magic Circle Against Evil at will.
Flight 80 (average)
Darkvision 60
Low-Light Vision
+2 AC
+4 str, 0 dex, -2 int, +2 con, -2 cha

-8 to fine-motor skills (open-lock and sleight of hand), +4 to concentration checks provoked by damage, +4 Intimidate
Detect Mindless Undead
Registers as undead on detect undead spells
Fortification
Slow Aging (1/4 rate)
Vulnerability to Turning (-4 to certain stats when "turned" but otherwise unaffected)
-2 saves against spells/SLA/SU from earth-subtype sources, +1 to attacks against earth-subtype
Acid Reflex (automatically sprays acid at those hitting it)
Burning Embrace (grappling does automatic damage)
Poison Fumes (creatures hit by embrace make saves against con damage from poison)
Easy to track (+5 to bonus to track, or +10 with scent)

Venger
2020-07-11, 01:21 AM
I'd deleted my post because I found it soon after, but thank you! Since you're here -- do you know what kind of effect Mantle uses to grant you the subtype? I suppose the question I'm gearing towards is: would it function in an AMF/can it be dispelled? The spell itself is instantaneous, which makes me think that once you have the subtype, it's an Ex ability, right?
Mantle is a spell. It is instantaneous, so cannot be dispelled. Yes, it functions in an amf. It is not any kind of ability, it's part of your creature type.

Curelomosaurus
2020-07-11, 01:28 PM
I think I will scrap the ring and glove and go void mind and fire subtype whatever

Do you guys think it's a good level investment to take the Lich template class for that sweet phylactery as a backup plan

If you want to come back after you die (and don't want to go Necropolitan/Silveraith), you can also use the ghost template class, which gives rejuvenation a level earlier than the lich equivalent, at no gp/xp cost.