PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Best Warmage Spells

Storyteller_Arc
2020-07-10, 11:36 AM
Okay, so I think pretty much every optimizer who has looked into the Warmage is aware of the Rainbow Warsnake build, going into the Rainbow Servant Prestige Class as a Warmage in order to add the entire cleric spell list to your Warmage’s Spell list, meaning you can now spontaneously cast every single cleric spell in existence.

This thread is not about that.

This thread asks the question: Assuming you have the means of any possible spell (Which Arcane Preparation + Wyrm Wizard should give you access to every single spell possible, if limited to a choice of 5 spells). What would be the best spells for a Warmage to use for the purpose of acting as a Warmage? I.E. Being a Blaster?

I know some good spells already: The Lesser Orb and the Orb line of spells that the Mailman build uses so effective. Combust, which does an impressive 1d8/Level, far more than most 2nd levels spells do, and finally, Dalamar's Lightning Lance. Probably the best, single-cast, damage-dealing spell in the game. At caster level 15, this fourth level spell lets you deal a whopping 39d6 damage, 9d6 impact damage, and 30d6 electric damage. Admittedly, it takes 3 ranged attack rolls to do that damage, but I think the damage is worth it.

I’m wondering, however, if there are any spells that I have missed that I should consider as a blaster? Maybe there are some spells that really take advantage of the Warmage’s signature class feature: The Warmage’s Edge? It is, admittedly, not exactly the most powerful class feature in existence. Adding only 2-4 damage per spell, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some spells - either alone or with metamagic enchantments - that can really take advantage of this extra damage, that I simply did not know about beforehand.

... I will admit, on writing this thread, I had one or two ideas of my own, and some rule clarifications about these ideas specifically, but I want to wait and see what other people come up with first.

So please, people of Giantittp, go wild!

Anthrowhale
2020-07-10, 11:58 AM
(Greater) Arcane Fusion along with Arcane Thesis (the feat) for these spells, and to a lesser extent Arcane Spellsurge (the spell) + Arcane Preparation (the feat) are super important for blasters because they provide multipliers. For example, Twin Invisible Cooperative Sanctum Arcane Fusion[Dalamar's Lightning Lance, Lesser orb of x] uses a 5th level slot to put out some very substantial damage.

Storyteller_Arc
2020-07-10, 12:11 PM
Thank you.

Admittedly, I already knew of Arcane Fusion, and it's not exactly what I was looking for when I made this thread, but it is a start.

Any other suggestions?

el minster
2020-07-10, 12:15 PM
fell drain magic missle

Tvtyrant
2020-07-10, 12:31 PM
They were smart/restrictive enough to specify hit point damage on Warmage's Edge, no dealing extra stat damage (which would have made it a good mechanic.) Kind of tragic.

Troacctid
2020-07-10, 12:46 PM
Here you go. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mBZFBdZRuCtldiqti91ej1FkIbngCr_aYKyF5zyZee8/edit?usp=drivesdk) This is for advanced learning, so it only covers spells that are on the sir/wiz list and not already on the warmage list, and it emphasizes evocations over other schools, but there's not that much to add from other lists, aside from a few powerful sorcerer-only spells (namely, wings of flurry, (greater) arcane fusion, and dragonblood spell-pact all would have made the list if they were eligible).

Maybe I should add a section for "Spells from other lists that we wish were eligible." The fiend-bloodeds, wyrm wizards, and recasters would probably appreciate the resource.

Storyteller_Arc
2020-07-10, 01:01 PM
Agreed, but it could have potentially got broken otherwise.

Fell Drain Magic Missle is a good spell/combo, but not what I would specify as a good Warmage spell either.

I suppose I might as well put forwards a few ideas of my own, as well as asking for a bit of rules clarification...

Cloud of Knives comes to mind as being perfect for the Warmage, especially if you can persist it. As a free action attack once per turn, Cloud of Knives really wants you to stack on as many damage increases as you can: Most people go for Sneak Attack, or potentially energy augmentation via Snowcasting. But a Warmage can get in on that action pretty early on, for a pretty decent flat bonus to damage without a significant amount of investment into it.

Scorpion Tail is a potential melee version of Cloud of Knives by the by.

Then we come to Vampiric Touch: Again, most people turn to Sneak Attack or Snowcasting tricks to upgrade the damage (The THP is equal to all damage done by the spell, not just the 10d6 max from the spell itself). But a Warmage can add some damage to the spell. Probably not worth the returns for actual optimization, but worth considering if your a Warmage and sticking as one.

Next up, a few questionable ideas...

Wreath of Flames (Which a Warmage can actually get with Advanced Learning!) does 1d6 fire damage to all adjacent enemies at the end of my turn. That is fine, and Warmage's Edge would apply to each tick of it... however... it also adds 1d6 fire damage to each melee attack I make... does Warmage's Edge apply only to the damage aura at the end of each turn? Or does it apply flat-out, and let me add my Warmage Edge to each melee attack I make? After all, each melee attack only hits once, so wouldn't Warmage Edge count them as separate instances of the spell? Or would you only get the buff from Warmage Edge once per turn, regardless of how many attacks you make?

Same with Lightning Ring (also Evocation!), the 10d6 aura damage each turn is increased by the Warmage's Edge... but what about the free action lightning bolts that you get each turn? They say they function exactly as a Lighting Bolt cast by a 5th level caster, so Warmage's Edge will get the extra damage there... right?

Lord of the Sky doesn't do damage directly like Wreath of Flame and Lightning Ring does, but it does give me a swift-action attack that does damage... does that trigger Warmage's Edge? What about a spell like Thunderlance, which creates a weapon that has a weapon dice, does the weapon gain extra damage from Warmage's Edge? I think this one is the most questionable personally, but I felt like it is best to ask.

Mark of Doom seems like it could be an interesting option if it works... No Save, No Spell Resistance. Just, 1d6 damage whenever the target makes a hostile action. Adding Warmage's Edges to that is pretty neat, especially if they're triggering it multiple times a round. As it triggers each time they make an attack... you definitely want to put it on multi-attackers to really rack up the damage.

Last... and probably the most redunant... but, Venomfire... it applies Acid Damage to each use of a creature's natural poison... wouldn't each specific use of a creature's poison be counted as a seperate trigger of Venomfire, so each one has the Warmage's Edge damage? I mean, Quicken a spell, then cast a spell again, both of them get Warmage's Edge, right? So it makes sense that each trigger of a spell like Venomfire or Wreath of Flames is counted seperately, rather than something like Magic Missles which can specifically hit someone with multipule attacks.

Maybe Optimization wasn't the best tag for this...

Storyteller_Arc
2020-07-10, 01:06 PM
Here you go. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mBZFBdZRuCtldiqti91ej1FkIbngCr_aYKyF5zyZee8/edit?usp=drivesdk) This is for advanced learning, so it only covers spells that are on the sir/wiz list and not already on the warmage list, and it emphasizes evocations over other schools, but there's not that much to add from other lists, aside from a few powerful sorcerer-only spells (namely, wings of flurry, (greater) arcane fusion, and dragonblood spell-pact all would have made the list if they were eligible).

Maybe I should add a section for "Spells from other lists that we wish were eligible." The fiend-blooded, wyrm wizards and recasters would probably appreciate the resource.

Hmmm, a lot of them do seem to be about flexibility rather blasting, but Kaupaer’s Quickblast and Electric Vengeance are pretty good for action economy purposes.

Oooooooh, Celestial Brilliance... now that is a good find! Flame Sands gives you a blast with your move action, very nice as well.

Streamers probably doesn't trigger Warmage's Edge sadly, its attack bonus is limited to your CL, which is bad... but it does target touch... and either way, using that on the big-bad, potentially doing up to 20d10 each time they take an action? Me likey~

Thank you very much for the list!

Troacctid
2020-07-10, 01:31 PM
Agreed, but it could have potentially got broken otherwise.

Fell Drain Magic Missle is a good spell/combo, but not what I would specify as a good Warmage spell either.

I suppose I might as well put forwards a few ideas of my own, as well as asking for a bit of rules clarification...

Cloud of Knives comes to mind as being perfect for the Warmage, especially if you can persist it. As a free action attack once per turn, Cloud of Knives really wants you to stack on as many damage increases as you can: Most people go for Sneak Attack, or potentially energy augmentation via Snowcasting. But a Warmage can get in on that action pretty early on, for a pretty decent flat bonus to damage without a significant amount of investment into it.
More like "only if you can persist it," IMO. If you have to cast it as a standard action and use it for only one combat, it's just gonna do less damage than a scorching ray.

Scorpion Tail is a potential melee version of Cloud of Knives by the by.
Drow only, though, and I know persisting touch spells has historically been controversial. (The stun effect is nice.)

Next up, a few questionable ideas...

Wreath of Flames (Which a Warmage can actually get with Advanced Learning!) does 1d6 fire damage to all adjacent enemies at the end of my turn. That is fine, and Warmage's Edge would apply to each tick of it... however... it also adds 1d6 fire damage to each melee attack I make... does Warmage's Edge apply only to the damage aura at the end of each turn? Or does it apply flat-out, and let me add my Warmage Edge to each melee attack I make? After all, each melee attack only hits once, so wouldn't Warmage Edge count them as separate instances of the spell? Or would you only get the buff from Warmage Edge once per turn, regardless of how many attacks you make?
Only the ongoing damage would gain the bonus. When a spell adds extra damage to a weapon attack, it's not damage from a spell, it's damage from a weapon attack. Blades of fire is another example of this principle.

Same with Lightning Ring (also Evocation!), the 10d6 aura damage each turn is increased by the Warmage's Edge... but what about the free action lightning bolts that you get each turn? They say they function exactly as a Lighting Bolt cast by a 5th level caster, so Warmage's Edge will get the extra damage there... right?
Yes, but they're both still part of the lightning ring spell, so remember the 1/turn limit on warmage edge.

Lord of the Sky doesn't do damage directly like Wreath of Flame and Lightning Ring does, but it does give me a swift-action attack that does damage... does that trigger Warmage's Edge?
Yes.

What about a spell like Thunderlance, which creates a weapon that has a weapon dice, does the weapon gain extra damage from Warmage's Edge? I think this one is the most questionable personally, but I felt like it is best to ask.
Debatable. Probably depends on the wording.

Mark of Doom seems like it could be an interesting option if it works... No Save, No Spell Resistance. Just, 1d6 damage whenever the target makes a hostile action. Adding Warmage's Edges to that is pretty neat, especially if they're triggering it multiple times a round. As it triggers each time they make an attack... you definitely want to put it on multi-attackers to really rack up the damage.
Again, remember, warmage edge is only once per round. (Also, I like streamers better for this.)

Hmmm, a lot of them do seem to be about flexibility rather blasting, but Kaupaer’s Quickblast and Electric Vengeance are pretty good for action economy purposes.
I figure once you have a couple of "best" blasting options at each level, there's not much point in listing more that are worse.

Anthrowhale
2020-07-10, 01:36 PM
If we are pulling from any list, it's also worth considering Surge of Fortune (= roll a 20 at will) and Sacred Item (=downtime slots inflict damage on undead and evil outsiders).

Storyteller_Arc
2020-07-10, 01:43 PM
Drow only, though, and I know persisting touch spells has historically been controversial. (The stun effect is nice.)

Huh, I never actually noticed it was Drow Only... welp.

Only the ongoing damage would gain the bonus. When a spell adds extra damage to a weapon attack, it's not damage from a spell, it's damage from a weapon attack. Blades of fire is another example of this principle.

That's... interesting. Can you quote the rules on that? I mean, it makes sense, but I'll rather have something I can actually check myself.

Yes, but they're both still part of the lightning ring spell, so remember the 1/turn limit on Warmage edge.

Again, remember, Warmage edge is only once per round. (Also, I like streamers better for this.)

Actually, Warmage's Edge is not limited to once per round. If a target is hit multiple times by the same spell in the same round, then it only applies once. But if you cast a quickened magic missle at someone, than a normal magic missle at them, then you get the effect of Warmage's twice.

You are right that the bolts from Lightning Ring, and something like Mark of Pain would only trigger once per turn through. So you would probably want to go the Energy Amplification route via Snowcasting to really ramp up the damage. (Streamers is good, higher level, and requires an attack roll which can be a pain... but very good, I do agree)

I figure once you have a couple of "best" blasting options at each level, there's not much point in listing more that are worse.

... I mean yeah, that's fair.

If we are pulling from any list, it's also worth considering Surge of Fortune (= roll a 20 at will) and Sacred Item (=downtime slots inflict damage on undead and evil outsiders).

Celestial Brilliance is probably a far better choice than Sacred Item.

Troacctid
2020-07-10, 01:56 PM
That's... interesting. Can you quote the rules on that? I mean, it makes sense, but I'll rather have something I can actually check myself.
It's the same principle as not adding damage to the natural attacks of a summoned monster. The damage isn't being dealt by the spell, it's being dealt by a weapon. Or, for another example, imagine a warmage casting magic weapon, which grants the weapon a +1 enhancement bonus to damage. Would you add warmage edge to that?

Storyteller_Arc
2020-07-10, 02:05 PM
It's the same principle as not adding damage to the natural attacks of a summoned monster. The damage isn't being dealt by the spell, it's being dealt by a weapon. Or, for another example, imagine a warmage casting magic weapon, which grants the weapon a +1 enhancement bonus to damage. Would you add warmage edge to that?

That does make sense actually. I can't see Magic Weapon applying Warmage's Edge... I could see an argument for Wreath of Flames, as it's strange that you only apply the Edge to part of the spell, and not all of it. But otherwise, I see your point. Good thing I didn't suggest Blades of Blood then.

I'm guessing the same logic applies to Venomfire then? It's not the spell, its the poison?

Storyteller_Arc
2020-07-10, 02:36 PM
Okay, so. That covers 3.5 spells rather well I would say.

However. 3.5 Edition has a cousin, and people rather enjoy having 3.5 Edition's cousin invited round to play as well.

So, what Pathfinder specific spells are we missing?

Elemental Aura (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/elemental-aura/) jumps out to me immediately. Its an Evocation Spell, lasts more than one round so we can apply Warmage's Edge multiple times, is a Personal spell, so we can potentially persist it. Does twice as much damage Wreath of Flames at the same level... and if they fail their save, they take an additional condition as well. Acid seems like it would do the most damage, as the ongoing acid damage would trigger Warmage's Edge, even if they've moved outside of the aura since then. Electricity is probably the best through, Stagger is a very powerful condition, especially at such a low level.

Snapdragon Fireworks (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/snapdragon-fireworks/) is pretty popular to use with Dazing Spell in Pathfinder, but a level one spell that gives us 1d4 spell damage for a move action is excellent for a Warmage.

Burst of Radiance (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/burst-of-radiance) is a level 2 Evocation on the Sorcerer/Wizard list, so it's easy to get as a Warmage. Its mainly a debuff spell, blinding all foes caught within for 1d4 rounds if they fail their save, but it does burning-hands level damage if their evil, 10ft burst is much better than a 15ft cone, and its got Long-range as well. Seems a steal to me.

Battering Blast (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/battering-blast/) has wierd scaling. While the damage of each blast caps at 5d6 damage at CL 10, you also get a second blast at CL 10, giving you 10d6 damage right then. You get another 5d6 damage each 5 CL, so at level 20, you have a level 3 spell which does 20d6 Force damage. Not bad, not the best damage per spell raito, but useful to consider.

Zarvistic
2020-07-10, 03:12 PM
The Lingering Spell metamagic feat works with the Edge damage I believe. Could be interesting to combine with certain spells if you're looking to do more with the Edge damage.

Zanos
2020-07-10, 03:20 PM
Stored lightning bolt hasn't been mentioned yet. It's a little weird but basically you fire a lightning bolt and split your damage up between the bolt, and an electrical trap that sticks to a surface. But you can allocate all the damage to the trap, and a creature on the space with the trap when it's cast immediately triggers it and takes double damage with no save. So as long as your enemies are next to walls, floors, or ceilings, you can hit them for 2*CL*1d6 electricity damage with no saving throw.

Storyteller_Arc
2020-07-10, 03:23 PM
The Lingering Spell metamagic feat works with the Edge damage I believe. Could be interesting to combine with certain spells if you're looking to do more with the Edge damage.

That's true, 1d6+Edge damage for a +1 spell level modifier... not the worst way to get some extra damage. Would be better if Edge was actually worth damage through, and not such a pitiful amount.

Stored lightning bolt hasn't been mentioned yet. It's a little weird but basically you fire a lightning bolt and split your damage up between the bolt, and an electrical trap that sticks to a surface. But you can allocate all the damage to the trap, and a creature on the space with the trap when it's cast immediately triggers it and takes double damage with no save. So as long as your enemies are next to walls, floors, or ceilings, you can hit them for 2*CL*1d6 electricity damage with no saving throw.

Huh, that's a pretty good potential replacement for Distengrate then. The damage is the same, but you don't need to make an attack roll, and its already an energy spell for energy amplification. Admittedly, Distengrate doesn't need such a requirement to active its 2d6*CL damage, and you can chuck Split Ray on it for doubled damage at only +2 metamagic... but its worth consideration for sure.

Well found.

Anthrowhale
2020-07-10, 03:36 PM
Celestial Brilliance is probably a far better choice than Sacred Item.
Celestial Brilliance is great for winning battles against armies at 2d6/round while Sacred Item is more useful in taking out the big bad at 10d4/hit. I usually focus on the big bad, but this is obviously campaign dependent. Of note, both of these combine well with party members since they can use the spell effect.

Storyteller_Arc
2020-07-10, 03:49 PM
Celestial Brilliance is great for winning battles against armies at 2d6/round while Sacred Item is more useful in taking out the big bad at 10d4/hit. I usually focus on the big bad, but this is obviously campaign dependent. Of note, both of these combine well with party members since they can use the spell effect.

Hmmm, yeah, that makes sense. I guess I prefer Celestial Brilliance because it can just keep on generating damage for a long time, while Sacred Item is a one-time burst...

Good point about it being stronger with Party Members through - each instance of Celestial Brilliance would do damage, and as their separate spells, each one would trigger Warmage's Edge separately. That probably makes Celestial Brilliance the best spell bar none for a Warmage, as its the only spell that can consistently get multiple triggers over multiple rounds... and for a very efficient spell use as well! Plus, Celestial Brilliance is a 4th level Evocation spell available to Sorcerers and Wizards. Sacred Item is a 4th Level Transmutation spell available only to Clerics and Paladins. I know I said 'assuming any spell can be used', but Celestial Brilliance gets points for how easy it is to get.

Well, assuming the 'Stacking' rules don't come up... if that's the case, then only one instance of Celestial Brilliance would be worth it. Maybe two for better area spread

Still, if your playing with an archer, Sacred Item becomes hilariously powerful. Especially if they have a Splitting bow - the arrows are identical after all, so the Sacred Item would get copied.

Zanos
2020-07-11, 06:00 AM
Huh, that's a pretty good potential replacement for Distengrate then. The damage is the same, but you don't need to make an attack roll, and its already an energy spell for energy amplification. Admittedly, Distengrate doesn't need such a requirement to active its 2d6*CL damage, and you can chuck Split Ray on it for doubled damage at only +2 metamagic... but its worth consideration for sure.

Well found.
No save, too. Disintegrate gets a fort to drop the damage to 4d6. Although being completely typeless damage and disintegrating regenerators and walls is certainly nice. That said stored lightning bolt can also be a 120ft line or a 60ft spread, depending on how you use it and trigger it.

Not a direct damage spell, but also consider touch of the blackened soul. It doesn't look great on the surface, since it just makes all your spells [Evil] and makes 3rd and under spells do 50% more damage to good creatures. But there are a lot of features that affect [Evil] subtype spells. Some standouts are Malign Spell Focus(+2 DC to [Evil] spells), special holy symbols(+1 CL on [Evil] spells or +1 damage per die on evil spells) and the soul tick fiendish symbiot(empowers all [Evil]) spells.

Storyteller_Arc
2020-07-11, 10:41 AM
Good to know in games where being Evil or using Evil spells wouldn't be an issue, especially the DC increase, that's big.

Does Good have anything similar? Touch of the Blackened Soul has a good counterpart, so knowing what benefits one can stack onto good spells would be quite useful.

Troacctid
2020-07-11, 02:43 PM
That does make sense actually. I can't see Magic Weapon applying Warmage's Edge... I could see an argument for Wreath of Flames, as it's strange that you only apply the Edge to part of the spell, and not all of it. But otherwise, I see your point. Good thing I didn't suggest Blades of Blood then.

I'm guessing the same logic applies to Venomfire then? It's not the spell, its the poison?
Yes.

Not a direct damage spell, but also consider touch of the blackened soul. It doesn't look great on the surface, since it just makes all your spells [Evil] and makes 3rd and under spells do 50% more damage to good creatures. But there are a lot of features that affect [Evil] subtype spells. Some standouts are Malign Spell Focus(+2 DC to [Evil] spells), special holy symbols(+1 CL on [Evil] spells or +1 damage per die on evil spells) and the soul tick fiendish symbiot(empowers all [Evil]) spells.
Mark of the enlightened soul is generally better because you don't need any combos for it to deal extra damage. You're always fighting evil things, so boom, your spells are empowered now. Also saves you from worshipping Gruumsh. Gruumsh is a jerk.

Zanos
2020-07-11, 04:04 PM
Mark of the enlightened soul is generally better because you don't need any combos for it to deal extra damage. You're always fighting evil things, so boom, your spells are empowered now. Also saves you from worshipping Gruumsh. Gruumsh is a jerk.
Only applies up to 3rd level spells unless you also want to burn another slot of whatever spells you want empowered. Also, only applies to damage, not other variables.

Plus if you're always casting BoVD spells there's a good chance you might be fighting some Good creatures. If not yet, not to worry! I'm sure they'll be here soon. And the increase on the spell stacks with empower.

Storyteller_Arc
2020-07-11, 05:38 PM
Both of them are pretty good for a Warmage, just depends on what type of campaign your in really to decide which one is the best.

Like I asked though, do Good spells have buff options like the Evil ones do? I mean, they probably do, but I don't know them off the top of my head.

Zanos
2020-07-11, 05:44 PM
There's nothing equivalent to the soul tick. There are special holy symbols for [Good] spells, I think you can get +1 CL? And there's Spell Focus(Good) for +1 DCs.

But usually being Evil is a better deal overall since you get to play with all the broken toys. Although nothing actually stops you from casting both of those spells, and they qualify for persist.

Storyteller_Arc
2020-07-11, 05:54 PM
Hmmm... that's true actually, and it could be an interesting flavour for a neutral Warmage, someone who uses both the power of good and evil in equal part to further their goals.

Even without the fluff, I will admit the potential benefits is rather nice to stack bonuses for good spells and evil spells together... you say there's an unholy symbol which gives you extra damage? Can you quote that in a book?

Zanos
2020-07-11, 05:56 PM
Yeah, Complete Champion. It's the Gruumsh one, which is why Troacctid mentioned him earlier. You have to worship that deity to user their special holy symbol.

Storyteller_Arc
2020-07-11, 06:10 PM
Ah yes, I see, under Special Holy Symbols, page 133-134, thank you very much!

... And there's a pretty important line here that you may have forgotten? 'However, this bonus cannot increase a spell’s damage beyond its normal limit.'.

Considering that the entire point of effects like these is to increase that damage as high as possible, it doesn't seem to be worth getting. And +1 CL is hardly worth it... I guess the effect would be too powerful for the pretty much 0 cost it takes to get, but still, that's disappointing.

Really, Evil doesn't have much more going for it than Good in that case.

Troacctid
2020-07-11, 09:26 PM
Only applies up to 3rd level spells unless you also want to burn another slot of whatever spells you want empowered.
You can use it with metamagic versions of 3rd level spells, though.

Ah yes, I see, under Special Holy Symbols, page 133-134, thank you very much!

... And there's a pretty important line here that you may have forgotten? 'However, this bonus cannot increase a spell’s damage beyond its normal limit.'.

Considering that the entire point of effects like these is to increase that damage as high as possible, it doesn't seem to be worth getting. And +1 CL is hardly worth it... I guess the effect would be too powerful for the pretty much 0 cost it takes to get, but still, that's disappointing.

Really, Evil doesn't have much more going for it than Good in that case.
It's not actually an important line. If we take a 10d6 spell as an example, it caps at 60, so the limit only comes into play if your total roll is 51 or higher. The odds of rolling that high are exactly 0.15%, which is a little less than 1 in 700. And when it does happen, you're typically only missing out on 1 or 2 damage. So, functionally speaking, aside from spells like wall of fire that have relatively few dice, all it really means is that it's not a combo with Maximize Spell.

Storyteller_Arc
2020-07-12, 04:08 AM
It's not actually an important line. If we take a 10d6 spell as an example, it caps at 60, so the limit only comes into play if your total roll is 51 or higher. The odds of rolling that high are exactly 0.15%, which is a little less than 1 in 700. And when it does happen, you're typically only missing out on 1 or 2 damage. So, functionally speaking, aside from spells like wall of fire that have relatively few dice, all it really means is that it's not a combo with Maximize Spell.

Hmmm... I suppose it shouldn't really be seen as a way to increase your maximum damage, and instead function as a way of increasing your average damage. 10d6 normally has a range between 10 and 60, for an average 35... of but with the Gruumsh, it shifts to 20 to 60, with an average of 45, which is actually higher than an average that a range of 20 to 60 would normally have.

Still a way of increasing your damage, just, not enough to push you over the edge, especially when combined with other +X damage per die abilities, that's all.

Zanos
2020-07-12, 08:13 AM
Yeah, it won't stack with Maximize, but I think it should stack normally with Empower and the spells mentioned above.

Storyteller_Arc
2020-07-12, 08:28 AM
Plus, Warmage's Edge is such a small bonus that you'll probably never actually go over the edge.

... Wonder if a DM would be willing to have it so that if you have a really big Warmage's Edge (say, from a homebrew overhaul?), that the Warmage's Edge wouldn't count when determining the damage increase limitation of the Holy Symbol? Would probably depend on the DM really.

Is there any other items around to note that would help a Warmage be an effective Warmage? And I mean that in a direct, damage boosting way if possible.

Asmotherion
2020-07-12, 08:52 AM
(Greater) Arcane Fusion along with Arcane Thesis (the feat) for these spells, and to a lesser extent Arcane Spellsurge (the spell) + Arcane Preparation (the feat) are super important for blasters because they provide multipliers. For example, Twin Invisible Cooperative Sanctum Arcane Fusion[Dalamar's Lightning Lance, Lesser orb of x] uses a 5th level slot to put out some very substantial damage.

Yeah, but how is a Warmage getting Arcane Fusion? It's a Sorcerer exclusive spell.

PS: Nevermind, re-read the premise of the thread.

Troacctid
2020-07-12, 12:52 PM
Is there any other items around to note that would help a Warmage be an effective Warmage? And I mean that in a direct, damage boosting way if possible.
Here you go (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GgINDD7nEVLs6B_ygsj4SLJza_YrZLGU89KdjIumP7M/edit?usp=drivesdk)

Storyteller_Arc
2020-07-12, 12:56 PM
Are you working on a Warmage handbook or something?

Troacctid
2020-07-12, 01:16 PM
Maybe.

Introduction (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lGRS0TJaI2Y9NZtsPRfgnVvvZAGwhJRaTb_FgXLPPDk/edit?usp=drivesdk)
Spells (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kyVC9uXZBCgNU-eoUDb0AHSj4DM9rLaTWMuzzw62Qa4/edit?usp=drivesdk)
Feats (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kRm19NLPkyvXuWnkM0goBSztg9PfGbiHlylijIY3WuA/edit?usp=drivesdk)
Prestige classes (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UhcBTAHS5wsP-t3j1P23Gmi3Gty2v3tTa-0HqMVsBHc/edit?usp=drivesdk)
Sample builds (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LjT2MMU7NM1HVw6lofLO2SxNVR3xUknzLnr-ezsIrFc/edit?usp=drivesdk)

Storyteller_Arc
2020-07-12, 01:43 PM
Ha, fair enough.

Can I request editing permissions? Just to leave comments, I have a few idea and suggestions I want to add.

Troacctid
2020-07-12, 01:48 PM
Ha, fair enough.

Can I request editing permissions? Just to leave comments, I have a few idea and suggestions I want to add.
Fiddling with permissions for a bunch of documents sounds tedious. Easiest for me would be if you replied to this post with your suggestions. (It's on-topic here, so it's a good excuse not to clog the ol' PM inbox.)

el minster
2020-07-12, 01:50 PM
Maybe.

Introduction (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lGRS0TJaI2Y9NZtsPRfgnVvvZAGwhJRaTb_FgXLPPDk/edit?usp=drivesdk)
Spells (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kyVC9uXZBCgNU-eoUDb0AHSj4DM9rLaTWMuzzw62Qa4/edit?usp=drivesdk)
Feats (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kRm19NLPkyvXuWnkM0goBSztg9PfGbiHlylijIY3WuA/edit?usp=drivesdk)
Prestige classes (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UhcBTAHS5wsP-t3j1P23Gmi3Gty2v3tTa-0HqMVsBHc/edit?usp=drivesdk)
Sample builds (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LjT2MMU7NM1HVw6lofLO2SxNVR3xUknzLnr-ezsIrFc/edit?usp=drivesdk)

You should start a thread for your guide

Storyteller_Arc
2020-07-12, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I agree with El, probably better to make a thread for the guide rather than clogging up this place.

Troacctid
2020-07-12, 04:10 PM
Well, it is still a WIP. I feel like I should at least finish the races section first.

Storyteller_Arc
2020-07-12, 04:33 PM
Hey, it doesn't need to be completely for it to have its own thread and get feedback for it. Having people waiting eagerly for it to be finished could help provide motivation too.

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-07-12, 10:51 PM
For the OP, there's a Druid spell that gives you Turn Undead. Bone charm, bone talisman, something like that. Useful for qualifying for stuff and potentially some DMM shenanigans.

Storyteller_Arc
2020-07-13, 06:19 AM
For the OP, there's a Druid spell that gives you Turn Undead. Bone charm, bone talisman, something like that. Useful for qualifying for stuff and potentially some DMM shenanigans.

I mean, unless the Prestige Class you grab gives you another Turn Undead pool, chances are pretty slim that you'll be able to use Bone Talisman - which is the name of the spell - for DMM stuff, as once you use it once, its gone. Turning Level 2 slots into 'free' metamagic doesn't sound like a good trade for me, not when versatile spellcaster is probably better imo.