PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Fighter: Reworked [WIP] [PEACH]

GreyBlack
2020-07-10, 04:54 PM
Hey all! So in the 5e forums, there's a bit of a debate going on as to whether or not martial characters are "screwed" or not. I made mention that I believe that this is because martial classes had a defining portion of their identity changed during the transition from 2nd edition AD&D to 3rd edition, and that portion of their identity had not been replaced in many cases. In particular, I said the fighter was a prime example of this, replacing their prior class features involving leading armies and not really replacing them. So, I decided to make a quick, 15 minute mockup of what a fighter (might) have looked like if that part of their identity (that of the leader of armies and such) were not changed.

I may come back and work on some martial archetypes later, but for now this is the base model that I would be looking at.

So, I present to you...

The Fighter: Reworked!

Level Proficiency Features
Bonus
1 +2 Fighting Style, Rallying Cry (one use, self)
2 +2 Action Surge (One use, self)
3 +2 Martial Archetype
4 +2 Ability Score Improvement
5 +3 Extra Attack
6 +3 Action Surge (One use, target)
7 +3 Martial Archetype Feature
8 +3 Ability Score Improvement
9 +4 Rallying Cry (One Use, target)
10 +4 Martial Archetype Feature
11 +4 Extra Attack (2)
12 +4 Ability Score Improvement
13 +5 Rallying Cry (Two uses, target)
14 +5 Action Surge (Two uses, target)
15 +5 Martial Archetype Feature
16 +5 Ability Score Improvement
17 +6 Action Surge (3 uses, target), Rallying Cry (three uses, target)
18 +6 Martial Archetype Feature
19 +6 Ability Score Improvement
20 +6 Tactical Mastery

Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d10 per fighter level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 10+ your Constitution modifier
Hit points at higher levels: 1d10 (or 6) + your constitution modifier

Proficiencies:
Armor: All armor, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
Tools: none

Saving Throws: Strength, Constitution

Skills: Choose 2: Acrobatics, Animal Handling, Athletics, History, Insight, Intimidation, Perception, Survival

Equipment:
You start with the following items, plus anything provided by your Background.

• (a) Chain Mail or (b) leather, Longbow, and 20 Arrows
• (a) a martial weapon and a Shield or (b) two Martial Weapons
• (a) a Light Crossbow and 20 bolts or (b) two handaxes
• (a) a Dungeoneer's Pack or (b) an Explorer's Pack

====================
Class Abilities:
Fighting Style
You adopt a particular style of fighting as your specialty. Choose a Fighting Style from the list of optional features. You can't take the same Fighting Style option more than once, even if you get to choose again.
Archery
You gain a +2 bonus to Attack rolls you make with Ranged Weapons.

Defense
While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.

Dueling
When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other Weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to Damage Rolls with that weapon.

Great Weapon Fighting
When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an Attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. The weapon must have the Two-Handed or Versatile property for you to gain this benefit.

Protection
When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your Reaction to impose disadvantage on the Attack roll. You must be wielding a Shield.

Two-Weapon Fighting
When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second Attack.

Rallying Cry
You have learned how to replenish your well of stamina, even if only for a moment. As a reaction, you can regain hit points equal to 1d10+your fighter level. Starting at 12th level, you can use this ability to have an ally of your choice regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level instead. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again. This improves to two uses at 13th level and 3 uses at 17th level.

Action Surge
Starting at 2nd level, you can push you normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action. Starting at 6th level, you can use this ability to immediately grant yourself or an ally within 30 feet this bonus action. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again. Starting at 14th level, you may use it twice before a rest, but only once on the same turn. Starting at 17th level, you may use it 3 times before finishing a short or long rest, but only once on the same turn.

Martial Archetype
At 3rd Level, you choose an archetype that you strive to emulate in your Combat styles and Techniques, such as Champion. The archetype you choose grants you features at 3rd Level and again at 7th, 10th, 15th, and 18th level.

I have not reworked any archetypes yet; this will be a work in progress

Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 4th Level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two Ability Scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Tactical Mastery
Your mastery of combat allows you to make commands of others that allow you and your allies to strike from seemingly all places at once. On your turn, you may use your bonus action to treat all enemies within 100 feet as though they were surprised at the beginning of combat. Your enemies cannot move or take an action until the beginning of your next turn, and they cannot take reactions until that turn ends. Creatures who are immune to being surprised are immune to this feature. You may use this ability once per long or short rest.
====================
Any feedback would be much appreciated; this is kind of an "off the top of my head in 15 minutes" kind of thing, but I'm curious what people would think.

Composer99
2020-07-10, 05:38 PM
I don't know that you needed to give Indomitable and the final Extra Attack the boot to make way for some of these new features, but that's just me.

The revised Action Surge is a bit like the battlemaster's Commander's Strike, only less restrictive, since your target need not use their reaction. The fact that you can use it less often probably balances? Something to think about, at any rate.

Tactical Mastery is powerful, but that's how a 20th level capstone should be, at least IMO, especially when you aren't also getting a 7th-level spell slot at the same time.

Will there be a subclass that gives your reworked fighter retainers and/or troops, apropos of the older conceptions of the class?

GreyBlack
2020-07-10, 05:54 PM
I don't know that you needed to give Indomitable and the final Extra Attack the boot to make way for some of these new features, but that's just me.

The revised Action Surge is a bit like the battlemaster's Commander's Strike, only less restrictive, since your target need not use their reaction. The fact that you can use it less often probably balances? Something to think about, at any rate.

Tactical Mastery is powerful, but that's how a 20th level capstone should be, at least IMO, especially when you aren't also getting a 7th-level spell slot at the same time.

Will there be a subclass that gives your reworked fighter retainers and/or troops, apropos of the older conceptions of the class?

I'm thinking of a couple things for subclasses.

Regarding the 4th attack, I'm thinking of reserving that as a capstone for the Champion, so at least some fighter variant will get that 4th attack.

That said, I would have to think about how that would work. Best I'd think is maybe something like a reworking of the Conjure Woodland Beings, but I kind of want to keep the fighter from having "conjure" effects. Maybe give them a free NPC like the Beast Master's companion?

Biggest reason I got rid of Indomitable is because of how powerful that capstone has the potential to be along with how powerful the revised action surge can be. Giving one of your big hitters like a Barbarian an extra 2 enraged attacks, or giving your cleric the opportunity to get off one of their big heals in a critical moment or something might be a little too overbalancing. If I added it back, it might be as an added bonus to the Rallying Cry where your target gets the Indomitable bonus in addition to the heal.