PDA

View Full Version : The Flow of Time in Different Realms

lonewolf23k
2007-10-29, 03:59 PM
...I only have one complaint about #499, and that's the statement "No, nothing so "sci-fi" as that." The idea that time might flow differently in different realms is as old as Fantasy. Heck, it's a central element in the Chronicles of Narnia, just to name one exemple.

Just look back at old stories about the Fae realms; in some, a dance of a few minutes took a year and a day of mortal time, while a few days of feasting took 200 years in the mortal world. In other stories, time passed at the same rate in both worlds, while in yet other stories, a mortal spent days or weeks in the faerie realms, and returned to the mortal world on the same night they left.

In fact, in some of the more extreme exemples, characters who returned from the realm of Faeries on horseback centuries after their departure were doomed to turn to dust the moment they set foot on the ground, as the missing years descended him all at once.

So, Rich? The whole "Sci-Fi" bit is pretty off the mark for Fantasy fans. Just my ten cents.

jamroar
2007-10-29, 04:06 PM
So, Rich? The whole "Sci-Fi" bit is pretty off the mark for Fantasy fans. Just my ten cents.

It's probably just an ironic joke, given that the explanation is "Postmortem Time Disassociation Disorder", a decidedly non-fantastic pseudoscientific name.

After all, aside from mythology, planes with different time flows already exist in D&D (Just not in Celestia).

MCerberus
2007-10-29, 04:31 PM
PTDD is a tragic disorder causing havoc with millions each year. Won't you do something? We can stop PTDD in our afterlifetime.

Porthos
2007-10-29, 05:57 PM
It also might be a bit of a subtle crack at Manual of the Planes and the Planar Handbook, which didn't exactly make the Time Flows Differently in Some Planes idea sound very fantastical. Overtly scientific comes to mind, actually. :smalltongue:

JaxGaret
2007-10-29, 06:16 PM
It also might be a bit of a subtle crack at Manual of the Planes and the Planar Handbook, which didn't exactly make the Time Flows Differently in Some Planes idea sound very fantastical. Overtly scientific comes to mind, actually. :smalltongue:

Don't you give my Manual of the Planes a bad name! I love that book.

And my PCs hate it :smallwink:

Porthos
2007-10-29, 06:20 PM
Don't you give my Manual of the Planes a bad name! I love that book.

And my PCs hate it :smallwink:

I kid because I love! :smalltongue:

Actually, the MotP isn't that bad. Oh, it's no Planescape, but it does what it's supposed to. And I must admit I did enjoy the Far Realms section. :smallamused:

StickMan
2007-10-29, 06:44 PM
I think its just a 4th wall joke as there should not be any knowledge of scifi in OOTS land.

dragongirl13
2007-10-30, 09:20 PM
It's a stereotype break. There's a whole stereotype about the other planes' time flowing differently from that of our own plane. The Giant just wants to bring the stereotypes down.