PDA

View Full Version : Character Feedback

Snadgeros
2007-10-29, 04:16 PM
Greetings fellow creatures of the playground! The other day (upon reading responses from another one of my topics) I came up with an idea for what could be a very fun character. I was hoping you guys could give me some feedback on it.

The basic build would be a half-orc fighter 2, followed by drunken master 10 (or however high I get), and then some more levels in fighter if I have extra levels. The idea is that he had a rough childhood (I'll work on backstory later) and drowns his sorrows in ale and spirits. When sober, he's all emo, but he's a MEAN drunk. He gets pissed off easily and will not hesitate to kick your ass in his drunken rage.

So I was hoping you would all help by giving feedback on what feats I should take, any other levels besides fighter, and what weapons to use. Stuff like that. Of course, if you come up with other advice, it's more than welcome! Thanks!

EDIT: Another concern is how to keep a 7 foot tall half-orc drunk all the time without spending a fortune. Maybe dwarven spirits would do it.....

Crow
2007-10-29, 04:17 PM
Here it comes....

triforcel
2007-10-29, 04:29 PM
You can't take Drunken Master without at least one level in monk to meet the Flurry of Blows prerequisite. Additionally, you can't take it before level six because you need 8 ranks in tumble. So if you really want to take it as early as possible you're better off going Monk 5/Drunken Master 10 because the monk levels will be sufficient to meet all the prereqs and also increase the damage of your unarmed strikes and subsequently all of the improvised weapons you use.

Crow
2007-10-29, 04:33 PM
You could go with Rogue4, then Monk 1, and then jump into Drunken Master.

He had a rough childhood on the streets (rogue maybe specialized in Strength) who got taken in by a cabal of monks. It didn't take long before he got kicked out though, because he wouldn't stop drinking. After one particularly destructive binge, he was asked to leave....

Plus, using a sneak attack with flurry of blows and drunken boxing is just so cool.

StickMan
2007-10-29, 04:51 PM
Yea you'll have to take at least one level of Monk but you can still take the fighter levels. Also there are no rules on staying drunk based on any things size related to my knowledge so I don't think it matters that he is 7 foot tall.

Snadgeros
2007-10-29, 05:28 PM
Oh, must have missed the flurry of blows requirement. Okay then! No problem. I'll just make it Fighter ?/Monk 5-?/Drunken Master 10. (although I doubt we'd make it to level 15). Fighter was just there as a filler anyway. All I really needed was the ranks in tumble and a required feat (don't remember the exact name). But since monks can get that too, it doesn't matter!

The rogue thing doesn't really fit with the background I was thinking of. I was thinking more along the lines of either abusive parents or at least one of them missing. But thanks for the tip! Sneak attack to the back of someone's head with a flurry of improvised weapons (chair leg and tankard) is indeed awesome.

Thanks for all of the help guys! Any advice on this NEW build?

cupkeyk
2007-10-29, 07:00 PM
You can use the Cityscape skill swapping variant. You can lose ride as a class skill and get tumble instead. So monk 1, fighter 4 will get the prereq ranks in tumble and flurry. OR go monk 1, fighter 1 half orc paragon so you can rage too. ^_^

TimeWizard
2007-10-29, 11:05 PM
Advice? carry a lot of brew around. and tables.

Snadgeros
2007-10-29, 11:38 PM
Advice? carry a lot of brew around. and tables.

But...if I bring the weapons with me (or a tower shield in this case), then that defeats the whole "fun factor" in using improvised weapons. The point of it is that I can pick up anything and use it. Middle of the woods? I grab a tree branch. Stone dungeon hallway? I use one of the torches lighting it. Hardware store? Oh boy, that'd be like being a fat kid in a candy shop.

Doresain
2007-10-29, 11:52 PM
But...if I bring the weapons with me (or a tower shield in this case), then that defeats the whole "fun factor" in using improvised weapons. The point of it is that I can pick up anything and use it. Middle of the woods? I grab a tree branch. Stone dungeon hallway? I use one of the torches lighting it. Hardware store? Oh boy, that'd be like being a fat kid in a candy shop.

or children...children are always suitable weapons for any situation

Snadgeros
2007-11-01, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone! My monk actually just died due to an unlucky critical at level 7, and since our party can't really afford to resurrect me, I rerolled as my half-orc monk 5/drunken master 2 guy.

He's a level behind the party, but he should catch up soon enough. He's got great stats except for 7s in intelligence and charisma (I got 9s, but half-orcs get penalties). On the positive side, he's got 18 strength and 13-15 in everything else. Basically he's a drunken damage-dealing monstrosity. Should be fun!:smallbiggrin:

I just gotta buy some equipment (got me some +2 bracers of armor) and allocate my skill points (which are **** due to my 7 intelligence). That should all be easy, now I just need a name.....:smallconfused:

Darkxarth
2007-11-01, 01:29 AM
Blatant plug of a homebrew magical weapon I designed, should fit your theme nicely.

The Chairblade
The Chairblade

During bar fights, anything not nailed down can be used as a weapon, bottles, tables, other customers, anything. Chairs, for instance, are often used as weapons for several reasons. First, they're big enough to be able to get a good reach, you don't have to be right next to the person you're fighting. Second, they weigh enough to do damage, but are light enough for almost anyone to use, usually two-handed. So, it's no surprise that, during a particular bar fight in a particular bar, a particular participant in said fight decided to pick up his chair to use as a weapon. Being a relatively fit man, it's also no surprise that he beat the other participants, drunken and out of shape as they were. What is surprising, is the idea that he had after the fight was over. "Here I've just beaten the snot out of half a dozen men with nothing more than this chair. It didn't break, no one got seriously injured, and I came out unscathed myself. In fact," he thought, "this chair seems to me to be the perfect weapon. Light, durable, and it even has a sort of built in sheild with the seat." So, he bought the chair from the bartender and took it to a powerful mage. There, he paid the mage to enchant the chair to become unbreakable. The mage, a little insane to begin with, also decided to enchant the chair with a special magic of its own. The mage presented the chair back to the warrior who had brought it to him, and told him that not only had he made the chair indestructible, but he had also enchanted it with great offensive, and useful, magics. The warrior, seeing the power of his chair, decided to give it a name, and he called it, the Chairblade. He spent the rest of his life traveling from taverns, inns, and bars quelling the most violent bar fights of all time. He single-handedly stopped the Great Dwarven Ale War, a simple bar fight in Dwarven lands that nearly escalated into a full-scale war between the royal family and the mining clans. Thankfully, the great warrior and his Chairblade were there to stop it. Of course, he knew he would not live forever, and eventually he died of alcohol poisoning. The Chairblade, however, disappeared at the instant of his death and hasn’t been seen since. However, he swore to his son, that the Chairblade would return when it was needed most.

In combat, the Chairblade functions as a +4 Knockback Merciful Stunning weapon, usable two-handed as a simple weapon, and one-handed as a martial weapon. If the wielder of the Chairblade takes Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Chairblade, he/she gains a +4 AC bonus when wielding the Chairblade. The Chairblade deals 1d6 damage, due to its magical enchantments, and deals double damage on a critical, with a critical range of 20.

Despite the fact that it was made into an actual weapon by the mage, the Chairblade still counts as an improvised weapon for all bonuses it could receive as one.

Silly? Yes.
Overpowered? Probably.
Inappropriate? Maybe.

But definitely usable and it fits your character pretty well...

Snadgeros
2007-11-01, 10:17 AM
:smalleek: Wow. Just wow. There's no way my DM's going to allow that thing. Lets see....as a monk 5/drunken master 2 wielding that.....thing, I'd get a +4 knockback merciful stunning weapon, which can be wielded one-handed so I can still flurry. It's a chair, so it would also give me +4 to trip and disarm attempts. It's unbreakable and adds +4 to my AC since monks are proficient with exotic weapons. Last but not least, it would deal 1d8 + 4 +1d6 (my unarmed damage + my strength bonus, which can be boosted to +5 if I'm drunk, and the improvised chair damage). It also has +9 chance to hit, or +10 if I'm drunk (my DM let me take Weapon focus: Improvised Weapons).

So I've got an AC boosting, damage dealing, unbreakable, flurryable, tripping, disarming, merciful, stunning, knockback weapon with a good chance to hit. Yeah....that's just a LITTLE bit overpowered right there.:smalleek:

EDIT: However, the DM gave me 9,000 starting gold, which I spent on +2 bracers of armor (4,000 gp), a sling and 100 bullets (we don't really keep track of ammo, and it only cost 1gp), a quarterstaff (free), and for 1gp, the DM is letting me have infinite 1cp beers to keep myself drunk. I only got the sling and quarterstaff as "just in case" weapons. I'm mainly going to rely on improvised ones.

That still leaves me with 4,998gp and nothing else to really spend it on. I can't use armor, I got some bracers, and I honestly can't think of a damn thing to buy. I guess I'll just save up for an amulet of mighty fists.

Snadgeros
2007-11-07, 10:38 AM
Hey, I had an idea and I need to know A. If it would work and B. If it's broken. What if, at 9th level (4th level drunken master-when I get improved improvised weapons) I were to use a 10 foot length of rope as a weapon? It would act as a whip, so it gives +4 to trip attempts. Also, it would threaten all squares within a 10-foot radius of me, giving me AoO on melee fighters. And since it's still an improvised weapon, I get all of my bonuses to hit and do the same damage as though I were just using a chair or a torch or something. What do you think?

SoD
2007-11-07, 10:52 AM
I think...that, by the rules, it would work. However, a peice of rope dealing 1d3+1d6+4 or whatever...sounds a bit illogical to me. A total of between 4 and 13 damage...Is it a paticulary heavy peice of rope?

Dalboz of Gurth
2007-11-07, 11:02 AM
I think...that, by the rules, it would work. However, a peice of rope dealing 1d3+1d6+4 or whatever...sounds a bit illogical to me. A total of between 4 and 13 damage...Is it a paticulary heavy peice of rope?

Or it's a robe with a lot of nails in it ;D

Snadgeros
2007-11-07, 11:05 AM
It would be my unarmed damage (1d8) plus my strength modifier (4, or 5 if I'm drunk) plus my improvised weapon damage (1d4). That's 1d8+1d4+4 or 5 for a total of between 6 and 17 damage. Yeah, it doesn't make a LOT of sense, but then again, neither does the fact that getting wasted makes me stronger.

Dalboz of Gurth
2007-11-07, 11:35 AM
It would be my unarmed damage (1d8) plus my strength modifier (4, or 5 if I'm drunk) plus my improvised weapon damage (1d4). That's 1d8+1d4+4 or 5 for a total of between 6 and 17 damage. Yeah, it doesn't make a LOT of sense, but then again, neither does the fact that getting wasted makes me stronger.

are these core rules or addons?

Swooper
2007-11-07, 02:02 PM
That still leaves me with 4,998gp and nothing else to really spend it on. I can't use armor, I got some bracers, and I honestly can't think of a damn thing to buy. I guess I'll just save up for an amulet of mighty fists.
Plenty to do with that amount of cash. You could get a +2 stat boosting item (4000gp). You could get a +1 Amulet of Natural Armour (4000gp). Or a Bag of Holding I(2500gp). A Cloak of Resistance +1 (1000gp) or +2(4000gp). A Hat of Disguise (1800gp) perhaps? Plenty of options, just look at page 247 of the DMG.

are these core rules or addons?
Drunken Master is not a core PrC, so not core.

Snadgeros
2007-11-07, 03:16 PM
This is the drunken master from Complete Warrior, because the Sword and Fist one sucks, but either way, it's not core.

An amulet of natural armor takes up my amulet slot, which I want to save for mighty fists. Bag of holding is kind of useless, since we just keep our stuff in the "party stash" meaning you can't access it in combat, but no one has to carry it. Finding stuff in a bag of holding is a pain anyway. I don't really see the use of giving my 7 int and cha character a hat of disguise, especially since this campaign is pretty "kick in the door" style. The cloak's not a bad idea, but odds of any one energy type coming up often enough to be worth it are slim. Our villains don't really have a "theme" to them. I think I'll just save up for the amulet of mighty fists.

Anyway, tonight's the night when we introduce my new character! Wish me luck!