PDA

View Full Version : A monster casts shapechange...

HelixIconix
2020-07-11, 03:25 PM
If a monster were to cast shapechange as an innate spell, would it use its CR in place of its level, or would it have to acquire class levels in order to utilize the spell?
I ask because other effects, such as true polymorph and wild shape, specify level or CR. Shapechange uniquely leaves out that specification.

Civis Mundi
2020-07-11, 03:26 PM
If a monster were to cast shapechange as an innate spell, would it use its CR in place of its level, or would it have to acquire class levels in order to utilize the spell?
I ask because other effects, such as true polymorph and wild shape, specify level or CR. Shapechange uniquely leaves out that specification.

That makes sense to me. The only other metric I could think of, Hit Dice, would get pretty nuts.

EDIT: Besides, if you're the DM, the creature's ability can work however you like.

MaxWilson
2020-07-11, 03:40 PM

You're asking how a hypothetical monster ability would function? What does it say in the hypothetical monster entry? If it doesn't say then the hypothetical monster is flawed and the hypothetical DM needs to fix it with a ruling.

Having it treat CR = level is perfectly reasonable.

Eldariel
2020-07-11, 04:01 PM
Polymorph gives CR as the primary limitator and level as secondary in case there's no CR (such as for PCs). Shapechange uses the same language. By RAW this is crystal clear.

You assume the form of a different creature for the Duration. The new form can be any creature with a Challenge rating equal to your level or lower...

HelixIconix
2020-07-11, 06:42 PM
Thank you all for confirming my suspicion.
Commencing GM shenanigans...