PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Antimagic

Thayborne
2020-07-11, 09:25 PM
How can you counter Antimagic Field with magic?

Elysiume
2020-07-11, 09:28 PM
Are you asking for flavor-based answers or mechanical answers for a specific edition?

Thayborne
2020-07-11, 09:38 PM
Antimagic Field is the same spell in any D and D version is it not? Is there any spell that can harm a character that is protected by any antimagic spell? I know that pure weave energy will penetrate any such magical protection.

Shinizak
2020-07-11, 10:13 PM
Manipulate mundane but dangerous things with magic. Suspend boulders with magic and let them fall on the anti magic target. Dispel flying wizard. Create a cage around the target and let them die of thirst. Conjure/transmute a hole beneath your foe, then bury them with actual dirt. Use a spell to launch something heavy, let momentum do the rest. Use prestidigitation to turn a potent poison into an aerosol, and use a gust of wind to blow it in their face.

Elysiume
2020-07-11, 10:14 PM
The spell is similar but the options to use against it vary widely. 3.5 has Invoke Magic (http://dnd.arkalseif.info/spells/lords-of-madness--72/invoke-magic--1538/index.html) which allows you to cast in an anti-magic field and Pathfinder has Spellbane (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/aroden-s-spellbane/) which lets you negate a field entirely. Neither Prismatic Wall nor Prismatic Sphere are suppressed by Antimagic Field, so they could harm a creature with an active antimagic field. Any spell that creates non-magical threats (like Caustic Eruption (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/caustic-eruption/) and other conjuration (creation) spells with an instantaneous duration) should work as well.

InvisibleBison
2020-07-11, 10:55 PM
Antimagic Field is the same spell in any D and D version is it not? Is there any spell that can harm a character that is protected by any antimagic spell? I know that pure weave energy will penetrate any such magical protection.

This is very much an edition- and setting-specific question. There are a lot of ways to get around an antimagc field in 3.5, most of which I don't think are in 5th edition. And you metion "pure weave energy", but I'm pretty sure that the Weave is exclusive to the Forgotten Realms, and wouldn't apply in any other setting.

Thayborne
2020-07-12, 01:06 PM
Suspending boulders is more of a trap than a melee tactic? Non magical threats you say. I had thought that Conjuration/Summoning spells of Control Weather and Lightning might work.

el minster
2020-07-12, 01:56 PM
In Forgotten Realms they have this thing called the Shadow Weave

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-07-12, 02:06 PM
Some editions have mechanics to specifically counter it. In 3.5 there are feats like Initiate of Mystra and Shadow Weave Magic.

Some editions have clever tricks to thwart it. In 3.x a big metal dome with Shrink Item cast on it that's worn as a tin foil hat is effective. As soon as you're in the AMF it suppresses the Shrink Item and the dome expands to its full size, completely enclosing your character and blocking line of effect for the AMF, removing your character from the effect as well as preventing you from being attacked. From there you can teleport away or similar.

In 5e AMF is an 8th level spell, so it takes a dedicated spellcaster to use it who's likely to be even more nerfed by it than the martial characters in your party.

Jay R
2020-07-12, 06:33 PM
Yes, of course. Use your magic outside the anti-magic field to deliver a non-magical threat.

If you move a giant boulder above an anti-magic field and let it fall, the field doesn't stop it from falling; gravity isn't magic.

Similarly, bring a large mountain of dry brush that is already on fire.

Or just build a fully enclosed wall of stone or some such immediately outside the field. The enemy in the field cannot use magic to get away, or to summon food and drink.

The essential fact is that the threat cannot be magical, even if the delivery system is.

Thayborne
2020-07-12, 08:21 PM
Are the Shadow Conjuration and Evocation spells of the Weave or the Shadow Weave?

Gavinfoxx
2020-07-14, 04:48 PM
What edition do you play?

el minster
2020-07-14, 05:25 PM
In 3.5 they are "of the weave" the shadow weave is unrealated

Thayborne
2020-07-14, 08:23 PM
I am not a fan of version 4 nor 5. I am not apposed to using parts of any version. I like a modified 3.5 version.

Mastikator
2020-07-15, 12:38 AM
Disjunction has a chance to dispel antimagic field.

Khedrac
2020-07-15, 08:45 AM
In 3.5 they are "of the weave" the shadow weave is unrealated

Err, not quite - that is 3.5 Forgotten Realms - "the Weave" is not a thing in any other WotC published setting.

Thayborne
2020-07-15, 12:20 PM
Mordenkainen's Disjunction has a 20% chance of destroying Antimagic Field at character level 20. Not good odds. I like my idea of spell researching of weather phenomena to the spell school of Conjuration. Outside of melee combat I might try a trap using Contingency Wall of Stone and Wall of Force. I guess you could craft a few Rings of Mordenkainen's Disjunction. Three to five rings might give you a good chance against Antimagic Field.

Gavinfoxx
2020-07-15, 01:08 PM
Here's the anti antimagic handbook
http://bg-archive.minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=10104.0