PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Building Black Dwarf/Cull Obsidian

Palanan
2020-07-12, 02:04 PM
For those unfamiliar with the name, this is the vaguely reptilian bruiser from Infinity War and (briefly) Endgame, who is one of the Children of Thanos and rather limited in his dialogue.

I’m interested mainly in how to represent his species in Pathfinder terms—which is complicated by the fact that no one seems to know what his species actually is. He’s three meters plus, scaled and absurdly muscled, so Large size and some sort of reptilian template seems like a good place to start.

Using Pathfinder material only, what would be some options to approximate his species?

GrayDeath
2020-07-12, 03:54 PM
I`d opt for using the Race Builder, crappyly balanced load of junky rules that it is, honestly.

Seems excellent for that.

Reptilian Base (Lets take Dragon Type ehre but reduce it to 3pts and exclude taking Dragon Specific Feats that concern Flight, magic and Breath).

Very vaguely like this:

Ability Paragon Strength, -2 to all mental, +4 Str.

Advanced Strength 3-4 times, Advanced Con 3-4 Times.

Size large.

Natural Armor say 5-6

Fast healing 1

Maybe add some hatreed/Ancient foes to add some color.

Done.

Palanan
2020-07-13, 01:41 PM
I appreciate your effort on that, although as you say the Race Builder isn't always considered the smoothest approach.

Is there anything more elegant that could be tried here? I don't think there are any Large reptilian races in Pathfinder, but maybe some combination of races and templates?

satorian
2020-07-14, 11:09 AM
Saurian Ogre? Giantblooded Lizardman?

Palanan
2020-07-14, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by satorian
Saurian Ogre? Giantblooded Lizardman?

Thanks for the suggestions. These are both from Green Ronin, correct? Right now I'm looking for first-party material only.

satorian
2020-07-14, 01:32 PM
OK. Isn't the Simple Giant Template (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/simple-template-giant-cr-1/) first party?

Palanan
2020-07-14, 02:43 PM
That looks like it's from the first Bestiary, so yes indeed.

This template could work, depending on what it's applied to. Is there any kind of dino-person race in Pathfinder? I know Eberron is the setting that goes crazy with dinosaurs, but I vaguely recall that Golarion has its share.

Eldaran
2020-07-14, 08:29 PM
I'd just do a Lizardfolk (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/standard-races-1-10-rp/lizardfolk-8-rp/) with permanent Enlarge Person.

Palanan
2020-07-15, 08:37 AM
Here's a very basic question on the Simple Giant template:

Is the +4 Str and Con bonus added to any existing racial bonuses, or does the +4 replace them? I would think it's added, but wanted to check to be sure.

satorian
2020-07-15, 09:33 AM
Templates are added on to the base (unless otherwise noted). Really, as I mentioned above and as someone else added, nothing wrong with lizardfolk for the base.

As a maximized PC, the permanent enlarge person is optimized. But you seem to want it to actually be a race, so the simple giant lizardfolk makes more sense for you.

Palanan
2020-07-15, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by satorian
But you seem to want it to actually be a race, so the simple giant lizardfolk makes more sense for you.

This works for my purposes, I appreciate the input.