PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A which is the other hand

Aurich
2020-07-12, 03:27 PM
I'm missing something perhaps in the rules about dual wielding and the bonus attack.

situation:

a melee character with the extra attack feature( like fighter or monk)
using 2 light weapons
each light weapon has a different effect/stats (like an ice and a fire weapon)

situation/question:
If i were to use, during an attack action, first 1 then the other weapon for reasons, as by the extra attack option, which would be then the other hand for the bonus action attack?

This is answered on the SA Compendium:

When you use Extra Attack, do you have to use the same weapon for all the attacks? Extra Attack imposes no limitation on what you use for the attacks. You can use regular weapons, improvised weapons, unarmed strikes, or a combination of these options for the attacks.

This means that if you are holding two weapons you can indeed make one attack with each using extra attack

Two-Weapon Fighting

When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand. You don't add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus attack, unless that modifier is negative.

Ninja_Prawn
2020-07-12, 03:32 PM
I'd allow you to make the TWF attack with either weapon. Pretty sure that's the prevailing interpretation, but I'm not sure if there's been any official Sage Advice or whatever.

Tanarii
2020-07-12, 04:02 PM
Both are.
You took the attack action.
You used the first one to make an attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand. That makes the second one the other one.
Then you used the second one to make an attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand. That makes the first one the other one.
So either qualifies.

Christew
2020-07-12, 04:08 PM
Both are.
You took the attack action.
You used the first one to make an attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand. That makes the second one the other one.
Then you used the second one to make an attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand. That makes the first one the other one.
So either qualifies.
Yeah, this. I mean, you could conceivably interpret that extra attacks are made with the main hand and the bonus action attack is made with the off hand, but why bother? If one of you weapons is better, you will choose to extra attack with the better weapon; if your weapons are equivalent it doesn't really matter.

Tanarii
2020-07-12, 04:17 PM
Yeah, this. I mean, you could conceivably interpret that extra attacks are made with the main hand and the bonus action attack is made with the off hand, but why bother? If one of you weapons is better, you will choose to extra attack with the better weapon; if your weapons are equivalent it doesn't really matter.
Pretty sure that 5e doesn't have any reference to a main hand or off hand. We just bring that concept in from other games and/or editions.

Alternatively possibly the designers intended for us to realize the correct answer is the gripping claw.

Christew
2020-07-12, 04:28 PM
Pretty sure that 5e doesn't have any reference to a main hand or off hand. We just bring that concept in from other games and/or editions.

Alternatively possibly the designers intended for us to realize the correct answer is the gripping claw.
Agreed, that's my terminology. Just pointing out that even if we were to differentiate hands, I don't think there is a situation where it would be impactful.

greenstone
2020-07-12, 04:49 PM

This forum really needs a "Like" or "Upvote" button.:smallcool:

pantastic
2020-07-12, 05:09 PM
It's up to the PC.

If the PC attacks with *each* weapon during their attack action (using the extra attack to make one attack with each weapon), then either weapon could be the "other hand" used for the bonus action attack. Therefor, the PC gets to choose.

If the PC attacks twice with the *same* weapon during their attack action, then the unused weapon *must* be the "other weapon" used for a bonus action attack, in order to qualify as a Two Weapon Fighting bonus action.

It looks like this during a turn:
<Action> attack with ice dagger, extra attack with fire dagger
<Bonus Action> attack with (PC's choice of daggers)

-or-

<Action> attack with ice dagger, extra attack with (anything but the fire dagger)
<Bonus Action> attack with fire dagger

Chronos
2020-07-13, 12:03 PM
The only thing you can't do is make all three attacks with the same weapon.

pantastic
2020-07-13, 09:30 PM
The only thing you can't do is make all three attacks with the same weapon.

I hate to nitpick, because this answer is 98% correct as far as I can tell ... but the OP seems to be asking about sequencing different attacks. There is one additional attack sequence I can think of that the player is not allowed to do:

Action: Ice dagger
Extra Attack: Punch/kick/etc
Bonus Action: Ice dagger