PDA

View Full Version : Passive Charisma Checks

KorvinStarmast
2020-07-12, 03:56 PM
Just saw an idea that really seems to fit the Paladin Oath of Conquest really well, but it might also work for Fighters who have chosen high Charisma with an ASI here and there.

Being a part of this playtest makes me realize something: (https://twitter.com/CriticalBard/status/1281998148093857792)
D&D DMs. Consider other passive checks sometime!

My character, after I did some number checking, has a passive intimidation of 24.

Think about what it would be like for them to walk into a public place.

https://twitter.com/CriticalBard/status/1281998148093857792
I like this idea; sometimes, you walk into a room and all heads turn. They all mostly go "whoa, there's a badass!"

Have any of you all used passive charisma checks?

prabe
2020-07-12, 04:07 PM
I have for PCs if I didn't feel like dealing with dice. I do it from time to time with things like Deception with NPCs.

If I had someone with that kind of Intimidation, and I wanted to make more use of Passive Checks, I'd possibly ask the player whether they thought the character would make an effort to turn it off and on, especially if they also had a high Persuasion.

Tanarii
2020-07-12, 04:10 PM
Yes. Especially Passive Deception, fooling a bunch of different creatures is exactly "a task done repeatedly". Same principle should apply if you're using Persuasion, Intimidation, Performance, or even a non-skill associated Cha check.

Of course, it's possible to have the PC make one check for the entire group. Especially with Persuasion or Intimidation or Performance, because often that's what you're doing.

For example, your idea of trying to get all heads to turn and think your PC is a badass probably should be an Intimidation check on the group. It's a single task done once, affecting multiple creatures.

Moving through the group and Intimidating them one after the other should be Passive Intimidation.

Remember, passive doesn't mean: without the character doing anything.
It means: without the player rolling any dice, especially not over and over again

Yora
2020-07-13, 03:18 AM
Passive abilities are really just the DC for someone else making an ability check. There's not much point in rolling for both sides in an opposed ability check. In most situations its best to make the player roll the die, but it doesn't really change anything mathmatically.