PDA

View Full Version : Machinegun spell focus?

Greywander
2020-07-12, 11:54 PM
I'm working on a homebrew class I'm tentatively calling the Eldritch Gunner (despite the name, it uses the wizard spell list, not the warlock list), and the signature thing about them is that they use spell foci like, well, guns. Kind of like if the Artillerist artificer was expanded into a whole class. In any case, I wanted to give each type of focus its own benefit, but I'm struggling with some of them. So far I have:

Mage Rifle
Wielding a staff in two hands will double the range of all your spells, and your spells will crit on a 19.

Shotgun Wand
No disadvantage on ranged spell attacks when casting from melee, and targets within 10 feet have disadvantage on their saves.

I'm currently working on a sort of assault rifle/machine gun type of focus, most likely using the rod and requiring two hands to use. I'm just not sure what the actual effect should be. A couple things I've considered are (a) allowing you to cast a spell as a bonus action and still cast a leveled spell on the same turn, (b) hostile targets of your spells can't make opportunity attacks (i.e. "covering fire"), even if the spell misses, or (c) cantrips shoot more rays instead of gaining damage as you level, like EB does. I considered letting you cast cantrips as a BA, but that seemed too strong.

I haven't written it up yet, but I was going to have the orb allow you to cast spells to locations you can't see (basically like an artillery strike). Instead of targeting a creature, you target the location where you think the creature is. Walls and other barriers wouldn't be a hindrance, and cover would provide no benefit to the enemy.

I have no idea what to do for the crystal.

This class is still really early in development, but they would gain this feature at 1st level along with their spellcasting. As they level up, and/or pick a subclass, they might gain additional benefits from each of these weapons. For example, a sniper might get a Sneak Attack analogue while using a mage rifle, or you might be able to have the shotgun wand target a 15-foot cone instead of a single creature.

Crucius
2020-07-13, 02:35 AM
In the DMG the machine gun has a burst fire ability, maybe that could be a source of inspiration?

How about turning any (attack roll) cantrip into a small area of effect? So you can firebolt a 10 ft area, but instead of attack rolls, the enemies make dex saves.

Grod_The_Giant
2020-07-13, 08:10 AM
I like c) the best, I think. You could probably generalize it beyond cantrip-- "whenever you cast a spell that requires a ranged spell attack roll and deals damage, you may make three separate attack rolls against the same target. Each attack that hits deals one-third the damage of the original spell, rounded up."