PDA

View Full Version : What action does it take to cease using a spell/power? (not concentration) - 3.5

Heavenblade
2020-07-13, 02:39 AM
Let's say I have a wizard character who casts flaming sphere. Or a psion who casts entangling ectoplasm.
Now, let's say that something happened, and I want to end my spell/power early for some reason. What action does it take to make the spell stop? SRD says it takes a free action to cease concentrating on a spell, but these spells are not concentration based, they have a duration unrelated to it.

I was sure it would be a free action, but now Im less sure....could someone please direct me to the relevant rules? Thanks in advance!

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-07-13, 02:46 AM
It's a non-action, and I don't think it's actually covered anywhere. You can stop any time you like before the effect's duration expires, whether it be after the first standard action of casting/manifesting it, at the beginning of your turn, or at some point or during or between other creatures' turns.

It's like deciding that you're going to stop holding your breath. It's not something you do; it's just something you do.

[edit] Ah, it is in the rules. See the post below mine.

DeTess
2020-07-13, 02:46 AM
From the SRD

(D) Dismissible
If the Duration line ends with "(D)," you can dismiss the spell at will. You must be within range of the spell’s effect and must speak words of dismissal, which are usually a modified form of the spell’s verbal component. If the spell has no verbal component, you can dismiss the effect with a gesture. Dismissing a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

A spell that depends on concentration is dismissible by its very nature, and dismissing it does not take an action, since all you have to do to end the spell is to stop concentrating on your turn.

Flaming sphere and entangling ectoplasm are not actually dismissable, so you can't end these effects early.

Heavenblade
2020-07-13, 02:47 AM
That is what made the most sense for me but I couldn't find the relevant rules. Could you perhaps cite a specific source for that?

EDIT - also, how would that work for a spell like ability/psi like ability/supernatural ability?

DeTess
2020-07-13, 03:11 AM
That is what made the most sense for me but I couldn't find the relevant rules. Could you perhaps cite a specific source for that?

EDIT - also, how would that work for a spell like ability/psi like ability/supernatural ability?

It's in the SRD under spell descriptors: https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm , under the subheading 'duration'. For SLA's and psi-like abilities it'd work the same as if you'd cast he spell. I'm not certain how it'd interact with SU abilities, but presumably also the same unless SU abilities have a specific exception.

Heavenblade
2020-07-13, 03:13 AM
Hmm...that's a downer. Even though I guess T1/2 classes don't need more fun toys than they already have.
I assume that it means that if the spell/power DOESNT have this keyword, you cannot stop the spellqpower until it ends? Sounds like a weird rule to me.

DeTess
2020-07-13, 03:15 AM
Hmm...that's a downer. Even though I guess T1/2 classes don't need more fun toys than they already have.
I assume that it means that if the spell/power DOESNT have this keyword, you cannot stop the spellqpower until it ends? Sounds like a weird rule to me.

Yes, without the dismissable keyword (which is represented by a D after the duration) or being concentration a spell can't be ended early.
It could represent spells where all the cost is paid up front, so there's really no other place for the magical energy to go than to be focused on continuing the spell until it burns out. That's how I'd fluff the rule at any rate.

RSGA
2020-07-13, 04:23 AM

It just means that you can't easily stop the spell. Once you've got the levels to do any of the Dispel Magic and alikes, you can always remove a spell that you cast as long as it can be removed by the level of Dispel you can cast. So if it needs Break Enchantment or Greater Dispel and you can only cast Break Enchantment, even if it's your own spell, you have to roll. Then there's just breaking what the spell is on. Works okay for a weapon that someone disarmed and took, but bad for an empowered friend that got controlled.

Psyren
2020-07-13, 09:12 AM
As others have said, if a spell is not Dismissible (D) or require Concentration, then you can't end it early without actively dispelling it. (And if you/your party can't do that, then you have no choice but to wait it out.)

Ashtagon
2020-07-13, 02:32 PM
It's a free action. Takes about as much effort as flipping a switch, except its mental, not physical.

Bronk
2020-07-13, 03:13 PM
The flaming sphere spell description gives some more options for you:

- If you stop concentrating on it, it'll just sit there until the spell expires.

- You can put it out with some water, or some sand.

- You can send it out of the spell range, which ends the spell.

Dispel magic would also work on any of your own spell effects... it has a stipulation near the end that you can always auto-succeed on your own ongoing spells.

PrismCat21
2020-07-13, 03:28 PM
It's a free action. Takes about as much effort as flipping a switch, except its mental, not physical.
Do you have a source for that?

Psyren
2020-07-13, 03:29 PM

She might have missed the NOT in "not concentration"

Bronk
2020-07-13, 08:46 PM

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm?pagewanted=all#ceaseConcentrat iononSpell

Psyren
2020-07-13, 09:02 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm?pagewanted=all#ceaseConcentrat iononSpell

Uh... how many people are missing the "not concentration" in the thread title?

Ashtagon
2020-07-14, 01:09 AM
Apologies. It's a standard action.

Rules Compendium, page 132.