PDA

View Full Version : Looking to make an effective character on roll20 without having to add anything in.

Klorox
2020-07-13, 06:24 AM
Hey everybody, I’m going to be starting an Out of the Abyss game soon. We’re wrapping up Curse of Strahd and I’m very lost on roll20.

I like playing spellcasters (but I’m very open to half and 1/3 casters as well), but I’ve had a really hard time with the spells on roll20. Mostly because light cleric is not one of the choices of cleric domains, so when I try to add my domain spells on level-ups, I run into problems.

So, being rather grognard-ish in this matter, I’d like to create a character using only the available rules on roll20.

I could go the very simple route and just play a half orc champion. They’re better tanks than most people give them credit for, and I can still flex my RP side, but I always feel a little short when I don’t have spells to play with.

I could also see if the EK is on there, I can easily imagine a very effective DEX based elven EK tackling the underdark.

A paladin is always a strong option, and I like the PHB races open for this as well.

I think my best option is to go wizard though. I’m not sure what options for wizard are on roll20’s default, but I like almost all the schools.

What do you think is the best roll20 option, without having to add much (or anything at all) to the program?

Merudo
2020-07-13, 06:33 AM
Can you just drag&drop the spell from the compendium, no matter what class your are?

ProsecutorGodot
2020-07-13, 07:06 AM
Unless your DM has enabled compendium content and owns the phb, you'll be limited to SRD content.

There's a decent amount of content in the SRD, hard top say what the best choice is as I have no experience with out of the abyss. Barbarian is always a good choice for simplicity.

Also yes, just drag and drop available spells from the compendium into your character sheet.

KorvinStarmast
2020-07-13, 07:47 AM
What do you think is the best roll20 option, without having to add much (or anything at all) to the program? Ask your DM to give you compendium access; they need to go into the game settings to do that.

Failing that Half Orc Champion is a great idea. I played one to level 14 before the campaign died due to RL factors.

Lupine
2020-07-13, 08:13 AM
Also, just going to say it, Roll20 seems to be a robust and versatile system. It’s not too terribly difficult to port in all that stuff manually.
The only real troubles are with multi-classing. Painstaking, but doable (although, you should not use the charactermancer. Quicker manually)

That said, not having access to the compendium would make the process a lot longer.

Mukade
2020-07-13, 10:26 AM
(although, you should not use the charactermancer. Quicker manually)
I'm curious as to your methodology for doing it quicker manually? I've had no issues with characters multiclassing via the charactermancer.

Also if you're a prepared caster you'll have to drop from the compendium whenever you prepare a new spell. Not an especially big deal.