PDA

View Full Version : Shape Soulmeld Evasion?

Curelomosaurus
2020-07-13, 10:37 AM
I need Evasion for prerequisites, but my character is a caster, so I don't want to dip rogue or monk. All the casting PrCs that give Evasion have huge feat taxes. However, I noticed that the Impulse Boots soulmeld grants Uncanny Dodge and Evasion if bound to your feet chakra. If I took Shape Soulmeld (impulse boots) and used the spell Open Least Chakra on my feet slot, would this qualify as evasion?

Relevant text for impulse boots:

You channel the spirits of rogues and scoundrels, barbarians, and all who think quickly on their feet, forming that elemental quality into boots that help you do the same. Your impulse boots grant you the ability to avoid dangerous effects. While wearing this soulmeld, you gain the uncanny dodge ability.
Essentia: You gain an enhancement bonus on Reflex saves equal to the number of points of essentia invested.

Chakra Bind (Feet)
Your impulse boots merge with your feet, and extend their midnight- blue color in tendrils reaching up your legs to your waist, like snaking veins just under your skin. You gain the evasion ability.

Kaleph
2020-07-13, 10:54 AM
AFAIK the consensus says: shape soulmeld (impulse boots) and open lesser least chakra (feet) do qualify when "evasion ability" is requested.

Gauntlet
2020-07-13, 10:54 AM
I need Evasion for prerequisites, but my character is a caster, so I don't want to dip rogue or monk. All the casting PrCs that give Evasion have huge feat taxes. However, I noticed that the Impulse Boots soulmeld grants Uncanny Dodge and Evasion if bound to your feet chakra. If I took Shape Soulmeld (impulse boots) and used the spell Open Least Chakra on my feet slot, would this qualify as evasion?

Relevant text for impulse boots:

Yes, it grants the ability itself rather than merely the benefits of Evasion.

Note that in order to cast Open Least Chakra, you need to take the Incarnum Spellshaping feat.

DeTess
2020-07-13, 10:55 AM
AFAIK the consensus says: shape soulmeld (impulse boots) and open lesser chakra (feet) do qualify when "evasion ability" is requested.

On this forum, this is generally true in my experience. However, your DM might not agree and they're the final arbiter on this, so I suggest you ask them.

Curelomosaurus
2020-07-13, 11:00 AM

Note that in order to cast Open Least Chakra, you need to take the Incarnum Spellshaping feat.

Can I just hire someone to cast it? It's 4th level, so it would only be 280 gp unless my math is off. (Level 4 x CL 7 x 10 gp)

DeTess
2020-07-13, 11:05 AM
Can I just hire someone to cast it? It's 4th level, so it would only be 280 gp unless my math is off. (Level 4 x CL 7 x 10 gp)

That's what it would cost per day, yes. The spell does not have a permanent duration though, so the costs would quickly ramp up, and the service wouldn't be available on longer expeditions unless you're paying more to have the caster accompany you. And whether you can qualify for the PrC with a single casting (losing evasion again afterwards) is a lot more murky rules-wise.

Kaleph
2020-07-13, 11:14 AM

Ain't it better to take the open least chakra (feet) instead?

Troacctid
2020-07-13, 11:56 AM

No you don't. It doesn't have the incarnum descriptor.

Curelomosaurus
2020-07-13, 12:20 PM
So I just need to spend a daily spell slot to open a chakra? Great.

If the Shape Soulmeld feat is lost, do I lose the ability to bind the soulmeld to my chakras?

DeTess
2020-07-13, 12:25 PM
So I just need to spend a daily spell slot to open a chakra? Great.

If the Shape Soulmeld feat is lost, do I lose the ability to bind the soulmeld to my chakras?

You lose the ability to shape the soulmeld, so you can still bind something to the chakra, you just have nothing to bind.

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-07-13, 12:50 PM
Technically the soulmeld doesn't unshape at the end of the day, so you'd be fine. Technically because I'm not sure how that works with a bind to a temporary chakra slot. You may not be able to rebind it without unshaping/reshaping it, so you'd have to ensure overlap on your open least chakra castings to prevent it from becoming permanently unbound until you got the feat back.

Also, some PrCs specifically require Evasion as a "class ability/feature", which a soulmeld acquired from a feat technically isn't. Ask your DM.

ShurikVch
2020-07-13, 01:39 PM
You may also get Evasion via Entomanothropy (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040621a) with Ectoplasmic Vermin (Ghostwalk)
I mean: feats are rarer stuff than class levels, and you will buy off that +2 at 9th level (no extra monstrous HD, because Tiny Ectoplasmic Vermin is just ½ HD - which would be rounded down)

Thurbane
2020-07-13, 05:11 PM
It really depends on the wording of the reqs. If they are specifically call out "Evasion as a class feature", soul melds may be iffy, especially if they are gained through feats.

In any case, this list may (or may not) be helpful: Evasion index (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?528237)

Thurbane
2020-07-13, 05:16 PM
It really depends on the wording of the reqs you are looking at. If they specifically call out "Evasion as a class feature", soul melds may be iffy, and disallowed if they are gained through feats.

Again, depending on the wording of the reqs, a Ring of Evasion may do the job, if you can afford it.

In any case, this list may (or may not) be helpful: Evasion index (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?528237)

Curelomosaurus
2020-07-13, 09:06 PM
Technically the soulmeld doesn't unshape at the end of the day, so you'd be fine. Technically because I'm not sure how that works with a bind to a temporary chakra slot. You may not be able to rebind it without unshaping/reshaping it, so you'd have to ensure overlap on your open least chakra castings to prevent it from becoming permanently unbound until you got the feat back.

Also, some PrCs specifically require Evasion as a "class ability/feature", which a soulmeld acquired from a feat technically isn't. Ask your DM.

Luckily, Fochlucan Lyrist only requires "evasion ability".

In any case, this list may (or may not) be helpful: Evasion index

I've been using that already, but thanks! Oddly, it doesn't seem to include Shape Soulmeld as a method of gaining evasion, but does list things like Chameleon that don't ever qualify for prereqs.