PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Shapeshifting Hunter Feat - Shifter or Hunter?

fof3
2020-07-13, 11:12 AM
I was wondering whether the feat "Shapeshifting Hunter" would work with a Shifter or a Hunter Archetype with wildshape?

Your levels of druid stack with your ranger levels for determining when you select your next favored enemy. Also, your ranger levels stack with your druid levels in determining the number of times per day you can use your wild shape class feature, up to a maximum of eight times per day.

I would have thought RAI is that it would work with the Shifter class (as much as anything can be considered intended with that class) but not sure about Hunter.

Kurald Galain
2020-07-13, 11:26 AM
I was wondering whether the feat "Shapeshifting Hunter" would work with a Shifter or a Hunter Archetype with wildshape?
Yes, it does. In Pathfinder, identical abilities are supposed to work together. So hunter wildshape (for archetypes that have it) works like druid wildshape for all purposes including this one.

stack
2020-07-13, 11:37 AM
Wildshape generally references 'effective druid level'. That feat is increasing your effective druid level, therefore it applies.From Nethys:
Shifter: (https://www.aonprd.com/ClassDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Shifter) "A shifters can take feats and other abilities that require wild shape; for the purpose of qualifying for prerequisites, her effective druid level is equal to her shifter level."

Feral Hunter: (https://www.aonprd.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Hunter%20Feral%20H unter) "The hunter’s effective druid level is equal to her class level."

So increasing your druid level applies in either case.

Note that after errata, the shifter gets wild shape uses equal to class level + wisdom, which is different from the druid formula.

fof3
2020-07-13, 12:40 PM
I thought as much. What still bugs me is RAW

Your levels of druid stack with your ranger levels for determining when you select your next favored enemy
As there will be no druid levels then shouldn't your Ranger levels stack with wildshape but hunter/shifter levels wouldn't stack with favored enemy.
I think that with the points you've made RAI should apply (especially for shifters, who need all the help they can get).

Psyren
2020-07-13, 01:18 PM
You're overthinking it - there is no mechanical difference between "her levels of druid" and "her druid level."