PDA

View Full Version : Contest D&D Subclass Contest XVI Voting Thread

MoleMage
2020-07-13, 11:38 AM
Sixteenth contest done, with 7 complete entries this time!

Simple rules. Vote for your top three picks in order. You can't vote for yourself. A number 1 vote is worth 3 points, a number 2 vote is worth 2, and a number 3 vote is worth one.

Entry
Creator
1st
2nd
3rd

Fighter: The Froghemant (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24563992&postcount=2)
RickAsWritten

Warlock: Mean Green Mother from Outer Space (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24564044&postcount=3)
BerzerkerUnit

Rogue: Dreamhacker (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24564969&postcount=4)
Phhase

Cleric: Madness Domain (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24565407&postcount=5)
nickl_2000

Fighter: The Hero (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24567292&postcount=6)
theVoidWatches

Fighter: Dungeoncrasher (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24572170&postcount=7)
sengmeng

Bard: College of Lanterns (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24607967&postcount=9)
MoleMage

Classes unrepresented in Context XVI: Barbarian, Druid, Monk, Ranger, Paladin, Sorcerer, Wizard

And for our themes, Hold the Line carries over as last contest's runner up, alongside four randomly chosen themes. Pick your top two in order, a number one vote is worth 2 and a number 2 vote is worth one point.

Theme
Description
1st
2nd

Hold the Line
Stationary subclasses

The Band
Musical subclasses

Refine Mayhem
Remake an existing subclass

Five Stars
Subclasses based on excellence

Well, That's Fortunate
Subclasses based on luck or fortune

This voting thread will stay open until the end of the day on July 26th. The following day I will post with the tallied results and declare a winner, then post the next contest thread. Good luck everyone!

BerzerkerUnit
2020-07-13, 12:44 PM
1. Froghemoth Fighter- I love anything that lets me summon space Kermit. Also a solid foundation that seems fun.
2. Madness Domain- this is great for your cult leader types not represented in the more... heroic options of the PHB.
3. College of Lanterns- does its thing pretty elegantly.

Next up- that was fortunate. I have a fortune teller concept.

theVoidWatches
2020-07-13, 12:46 PM
Builds:
1. nickl2000's Madness domain. A simple, clean take on the beyond, taking the Far Realms as a god for your cleric.
2. BerzerkerUnit's Mean Green Mother From Outer Space. I can't not vote for this, with how much I like Little Shop of Horrors, but I do have a few qualms about it mechanically.
3. Pphase's Dreamhacker. It's a cool concept, but I feel like it's kind of busy mechanically. I like it better than the other remaining options, though.

Themes:
1. Refine Excellence. I always like seeing new takes on existing concepts.
2. Well, That's Fortunate. 5e doesn't really have a luck-based class or subclass right now - the closest thing is the Wild Magic sorcerer.

nickl_2000
2020-07-13, 01:04 PM
RickAsWritten's Froghemant - As many of you know I'm a sucker for martials and this is a good one. It's good cool stuff going on, it's gross is just the right way and it's fun.,
MoleMage's Bardic College of Lanterns - This isn't what I was expecting out of this contest and that is a bonus. It's a cool take on it and something new that I haven't seen before. Seems like a solid subclass that would be fun to play.
Phhase's Dreamhacker - Not my style of class, but for someone who enjoys it there is a lot of fun things you can do. The is a good amount of power and it feels balanced.

Next Contest:
1) The band
2) Refine

Phhase
2020-07-13, 03:21 PM
1) theVoidWatches' Hero -Every option this subclass has is Too Awesome To Use. And when everything's Too Awesome To Use...none of it is. The Hero is like a big keyboard, but every key is plays the note U in the key of No. And best of all, I'm told it's not overpowered! Oh, also:https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e3/b2/b9/e3b2b92e0f5090acfc7391d6ab8df340.jpg
2) sengmeng's Dungeoncrasher - It needs balancing, but even as is, this subclass is the very defenition of door-kicking gameplay. It doesn't just kick in the door, it KICKS IN THE DOOR.

3) BerzerkerUnit's Little Shop Warlock -I like minionmancy and flexible blood price magic. This subclass has both!

Next Contest Voats:
1) The Band - Ihaveanideaihaveanideaihaveanidea
2) Five Stars - I foresee this having interesting entries.

RickAsWritten
2020-07-14, 02:21 PM
1. BerserkerUnit's Mean Green Mother From Outer Space Patron - Killer theme, cool (but risky) mechanics, and pets.

2. nickl_2000's Madness Domain - Good theme, polished mechanics.

3. MoleMage's College of Lanterns - Polished, interesting mechanics, only partially fits the theme.

Next Contest:
1. The Band
2. Refine Mayhem

KragBrightscale
2020-07-19, 07:41 AM
1st: Madness domain, really captures the theme well.

2nd: Froghemant, has just right amount of weirdness, that tongue is definitely the highlight for me.

3rd: The Hero, love martials and this looks like a lot of fun to play.

As for next contest, I think these 2 will result in some fun entries:

1st: That’s fortunate
2nd: 5 stars

Damon_Tor
2020-07-20, 11:16 PM
It doesn't feel right to me to vote on the content here seeing as I wasn't around to be a part of the conversation about any of the entries (I kind of feel like that's the point and the contest is just a framing device). But I would like to vote on the next theme:

1. The Band
2. Hold the Line

Phhase
2020-07-22, 01:56 PM
It doesn't feel right to me to vote on the content here seeing as I wasn't around to be a part of the conversation about any of the entries (I kind of feel like that's the point and the contest is just a framing device). But I would like to vote on the next theme:

1. The Band
2. Hold the Line

Idunno, I always thought the point was that voting was open to the whole forum, and it just so happened that most of votes come from those who were paying attention, so to speak, the contestants. It's always good to have an unsullied perspective on things.

MoleMage
2020-07-26, 10:37 AM
I guess I should vote while there's still time, eh?

Dungeoncrasher: I like this. There's not enough options in the base game for using the terrain as a weapon (outside of spells that turn the terrain into literal weapons, I suppose).
Madness Domain: Why should warlocks get all the fun?
Dreamhacker: An interesting take. I'm having a hard time imagining the practicality of it, but I'm so interested in figuring it out that it's worth a vote.

For the next theme:

Refine Mayhem: There are at least three subclasses in the PHB alone that I could see myself choosing to rework.
Hold the Line: Not sure on this one, but I'm excited to see what other people come up with.

sengmeng
2020-07-26, 10:24 PM
1). Madness Domain

2). College of Lanterns

3). Mean Green Mother From Outer Space

1). Hold the Line

2). Refine Mayhem

Fnissalot
2020-07-27, 03:54 AM
1. College of Lanterns; straightforward with a clear and interesting concept, very nice!
2. Hero; I read this and first thought that this is probably how champion should feel like to play, then I thought, this seems too strong in the early levels. I like the flexibility of it but would probably need to be shuffled around a bit. It is so cool though so I am tempted to ignore my gripes with it.
3. Dungeon Crasher Hulk smash. The wording is a bit overly complex at some points and a lot of it could probably be simplified to clean it up further, but it clobberin time, I'm the Juggernaut!

Madness domain was close to getting the 3rd place for me though.

MoleMage
2020-07-27, 10:56 AM
Voting period has now ended, and the results are as follows:

In 3rd place, we have a tie between RickAsWritten's Froghemant Fighter and BerzerkerUnit's Mean Green Mother Patron, both of which earned seven points. According to tiebreaker rules (established in contest VI) the Froghemant will claim the bronze by earning more 1st-place votes. Be a frog! Or at least a frog monster.

In 2nd place, with 9 points, we have those bold and brave enough to plumb the depths, it's MoleMage's Bardic College of Lanterns! Make a really really nice lamp.

And our winner for Contest XVI, with 15 points, is none other than that craziest of clerics, nickl_2000's Madness Domain. Really embrace the craziness of the divine. No, really deep dive it.

Our winner for theme is The Band, earning 7 points through more 1st-place votes. Our runner-up is Refine Mayhem, earning the same number of points but with fewer top picks, so it'll show up in the next voting pool. The new thread will be up shortly, so keep your eyes peeled!