PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed OMG, it has been 20 YEARS since D&D 3e came out!

reddir
2020-07-13, 05:39 PM
I just realized this!

How is this not a huge thing? 20th Aniversary for such an iconic game, which brought so many people into the hobby, and allowed so much creativity and imagination to flourish with their Open License.

I just want to say it is amazing to me, and I am super thankful that this game and all the producers, professional and fans, have together provided me many many hours of excitement and imagination and world and character building.

Bartmanhomer
2020-07-13, 05:43 PM
I just realized this!

How is this not a huge thing? 20th Aniversary for such an iconic game, which brought so many people into the hobby, and allowed so much creativity and imagination to flourish with their Open License.

I just want to say it is amazing to me, and I am super thankful that this game and all the producers, professional and fans, have together provided me many many hours of excitement and imagination and world and character building.

Cool! That's awesome. :smile:

Thurbane
2020-07-13, 06:29 PM
Wow, that's gone quick! Admittedly, I skipped early 3E, went straight from 2E to 3.5 after a long hiatus.

el minster
2020-07-13, 06:39 PM
It was the last time they gave the open gaming license right?

Crake
2020-07-13, 06:46 PM
It was the last time they gave the open gaming license right?

Pretty sure 5e runs a good portion of their material under OGL

soullos
2020-07-13, 06:55 PM
I still have my original 3.0 core rule books when I bought them at release (MM is falling apart though). Weren't they released one month apart each? It's been a while, I don't remember the exact release dates. Crazy to think it's been 20 years already... O_o Obligatory I feel old post lol

Buufreak
2020-07-13, 07:44 PM
Pretty sure 5e runs a good portion of their material under OGL

5 certainly has srd and ogl.

Calthropstu
2020-07-13, 08:31 PM
I wish it was 20 years ago. I'd fix so many mistakes.

But playing D&D 3e and 3.5e (and later PF) definitely isn't a mistake. I lift my glass in a toast to a great game that has provided me more entertainment than any other game.

Bartmanhomer
2020-07-13, 08:43 PM
They should release the 20th anniversary of the D&D 3.5 Core Books. :smile:

reddir
2020-07-13, 08:58 PM

I am not one for memorabilia, but if they did something like updating it and bringing all the new and adjusted rules into the books.....an anniversary edition would be pretty amazing....

But again, I am not normally into collecting so I have no idea if changing it like that would be welcome by anyone else, or if it would sell (beyond me and a few others).

But wow, just the fact that I am seriously considering having this shows me a lot about my emotional attachment here.

Bartmanhomer
2020-07-13, 09:01 PM
I am not one for memorabilia, but if they did something like updating it and bringing all the new and adjusted rules into the books.....an anniversary edition would be pretty amazing...

But again, I am not normally into collecting so I have no idea if changing it like that would be welcome by anyone else, or if it would sell (beyond me and a few others).

But wow, just the fact that I am seriously considering having this shows me a lot about my emotional attachment here.

Well, it just a thought to consider with the milestone that the D&D 3.5 received. :smile:

Thurbane
2020-07-13, 09:07 PM
Even if they just collected all (or most) the un-published web articles into a compendium, I would be on it in a second flat $$$.

Imagine all the online PrCs, feats, spells, and monsters, collected in a physical book! It would be AMAZING!

Will probably never happen through, they would be too afraid that the editing/printing costs would outweigh profits, and/or eat into the profit margin of 5E releases. :smallfrown:

Bartmanhomer
2020-07-13, 09:09 PM
Even if they just collected all (or most) the un-published web articles into a compendium, I would be on it in a second flat $$$.

Imagine all the online PrCs, feats, spells, and monsters, collected in a physical book! It would be AMAZING!

Will probably never happen through, they would be too afraid that the editing/printing costs would outweigh profits, and/or eat into the profit margin of 5E releases. :smallfrown:

They could at least try. If not maybe the 30th anniversary.

reddir
2020-07-13, 09:11 PM

Oh! A book detailing the history and making and evolution of 3e, with interviews or essays by the creators and editors? If they did a real insightful retrospective... something that highlights the passion of the creators as well as the care of the fans.

They could also bring in Paizo for the Dragon/Dungeon and Pathfinder lines. As well as contributing writers and what they thought of having the opportunity to be creative and share in the rules- and lore-crafting for the system.

And all the companies that popped up with the OGL, and what they and fans thought of that explosion of imagination that resulted in so much new material and subsystems to support various ways of engaging with 3e.

...why do I think this might have already been done? Am I just remembering various interviews over the decades or was there already a retrospective on 3e?

--------------

Probably too late to start on this if they haven't already, but maybe for 2023, the 23th Aniversary of 3.0 and 20th Aniversary of 3.5...

If they do it right with good quality and sincerity then it would be worth having as a part of our histories. (I don't know how to phrase this! I mean something that truly encompasses the thought and influence and emotional connection we've formed for the game, stuff that great writers can bring out on a page.)

Bartmanhomer
2020-07-13, 09:15 PM
Oh! A book detailing the history and making and evolution of 3e, with interviews or essays by the creators and editors? If they did a real insightful retrospective... something that highlights the passion of the creators as well as the care of the fans.

They could also bring in Paizo for the Dragon/Dungeon and Pathfinder lines. As well as contributing writers and what they thought of having the opportunity to be creative and share in the rules- and lore-crafting for the system.

And all the companies that popped up with the OGL, and what they and fans thought of that explosion of imagination that resulted in so much new material and subsystems to support various ways of engaging with 3e.

...why do I think this might have already been done? Am I just remembering various interviews over the decades or was there already a retrospective on 3e?

--------------

Probalby too late to start on this if they haven't alredy, but maybe for 2023, the 23th Aniversary of 3.0 and 20th Aniversary of 3.5...

If they do it right with good quality and sincerity then it would be worth having as a part of our histories. (I don't know how to phrase this! I mean something that tuely encompases the thought and influence and emotional connection we've formed for the game, stuff that great writers can bring out on a page.)

We need to ban together as a forum as one to make it happen! :cool:

Quertus
2020-07-13, 10:31 PM
I wish it was 20 years ago. I'd fix so many mistakes.

But playing D&D 3e and 3.5e (and later PF) definitely isn't a mistake.

Agreed.

I lift my glass in a toast to a great game that has provided me more entertainment than any other game.

Agreed. To 2e… wait, what?

Probably too late to start on this if they haven't already, but maybe for 2023, the 23th Aniversary of 3.0 and 20th Aniversary of 3.5...

3.0 gets no love - not even by the muggles who were so much better off in its tender caresses.

The 20th Aniversary of 3.5 is still a few years off.

If they do it right with good quality and sincerity then it would be worth having as a part of our histories. (I don't know how to phrase this! I mean something that truly encompasses the thought and influence and emotional connection we've formed for the game, stuff that great writers can bring out on a page.)

I'll second that something like that should exist - but I'll encourage video format.

We need to ban together as a forum as one to make it happen! :cool:

I'm afraid of what that would look like. I don't really want to ban anything… except Kender.

Psyren
2020-07-13, 10:46 PM

The easy answer is to crowdfund it. If it succeeds, the costs are already paid for; and if it fails, they lose nothing.

But that would potentially distract folks from {shiny new edition.}

Bartmanhomer
2020-07-13, 11:03 PM
Agreed.

Agreed. To 2e… wait, what?

3.0 gets no love - not even by the muggles who were so much better off in its tender caresses.

The 20th Aniversary of 3.5 is still a few years off.

I'll second that something like that should exist - but I'll encourage video format.

I'm afraid of what that would look like. I don't really want to ban anything… except Kender.
I meant that we should join forces to make the 20th anniversary D&D 3.5 Core Books happening.

Arkhios
2020-07-13, 11:04 PM
The easy answer is to crowdfund it. If it succeeds, the costs are already paid for; and if it fails, they lose nothing.

Wait, what? I'm NOT allowed to hold each edition since 3.5 dear and close to my heart at the same time!? ...I'm shocked!

Psyren
2020-07-13, 11:15 PM
Wait, what? I'm NOT allowed to hold each edition since 3.5 dear and close to my heart at the same time!? ...I'm shocked!

Not according to Marketing :smallbiggrin:

Asmotherion
2020-07-14, 01:41 AM

Eh, 5e is already 6 years old... and if pokemon taught us anything is that you can make much more money from Nostalgia re-sales than from a "brand new product".

That said, I half expect a fully imaged 3.5 SRD Hard Cover in the next few weeks. And yeah, I'm a simp for nostalgia XD

Psyren
2020-07-14, 09:16 AM
Eh, 5e is already 6 years old... and if pokemon taught us anything is that you can make much more money from Nostalgia re-sales than from a "brand new product".

That said, I half expect a fully imaged 3.5 SRD Hard Cover in the next few weeks. And yeah, I'm a simp for nostalgia XD

"Shiny new" was a bit tongue-in-cheek there, yeah. The point though is that WotC has a tendency to avoid even reminding people of older editions, much less actively promoting them.

Gruftzwerg
2020-07-14, 09:45 AM
20 years and we are still arguing about rules ^^

we should celebrate this with a "Are DWK True Dragons?"- thread if you ask me! ^^

Zanos
2020-07-14, 10:28 AM
"Shiny new" was a bit tongue-in-cheek there, yeah. The point though is that WotC has a tendency to avoid even reminding people of older editions, much less actively promoting them.
Yeah, even finding copies of old books is very difficult. They did have the 3.5 core reprint, but that was after 4e flopped incredibly hard.

It's a shame, there's some books I'd really like to add to my physical collection.

reddir
2020-07-14, 10:34 AM

I honestly don't know if that is a good or bad thing - one has to admit it has resulted in A LOT of fan engagement.

Calthropstu
2020-07-14, 10:46 AM
can you imagine the value of these books 100 years from now?

Psyren
2020-07-14, 10:53 AM

we should celebrate this with a "Are DWK True Dragons?"- thread if you ask me! ^^

But can Monks TWF unarmed strikes? And how many unique powers per day do Erudites get?

el minster
2020-07-14, 01:51 PM
We need to band together as a forum as one to make it happen! :cool:

I'm intrested in this but I don't know how to make it happen probably somone else around here does though

Bartmanhomer
2020-07-14, 01:56 PM
I'm interested in this but I don't know how to make it happen probably someone else around here does though

We can all email Wizard Of The Coast about making the 20th-anniversary D&D 3rd Edition Core Books. How hard can that be? :annoyed:

el minster
2020-07-14, 01:59 PM
You want to make a thread to get more people on board?

Bartmanhomer
2020-07-14, 02:01 PM
You want to make a thread to get more people on board?

We have a thread here right now.

el minster
2020-07-14, 02:45 PM
Yeah, but we could make this big have a special thread for it tell people on random banter maybe put it on the roleplaying subforum get a lot of people to send them emails you know actually do this!
Edit: sorry sometimes get a bit overexcited

137beth
2020-07-14, 04:01 PM
Yeah, even finding copies of old books is very difficult. They did have the 3.5 core reprint, but that was after 4e flopped incredibly hard.

It's a shame, there's some books I'd really like to add to my physical collection.

If you're willing to go digital, you can buy most of them as PDFs from DrivethruRPG (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/44/Wizards-of-the-Coast?src=browse44). WotC barely markets them at all, though, and there are still some 3.0/3.5 products missing (most notably the core rules for 3.0).

Bartmanhomer
2020-07-14, 04:36 PM
Yeah, but we could make this big have a special thread for it tell people on random banter maybe put it on the roleplaying subforum get a lot of people to send them emails you know actually do this!
Edit: sorry sometimes get a bit overexcited

I nominate you to do that. :smile:

el minster
2020-07-14, 04:41 PM
I nominate you to do that. :smile:

And I will so there :wink: