PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed The Cost of taking a class.

liquidformat
2020-07-14, 10:39 AM
So For a while now I have thought about the fact that in world the cost of becoming a level 1 wizard is very restrictive, just creating a basic spell book for a wizard with 16 Int would be ~2515gp for example assuming phb spells only and not taking anything like collegiate Wizard feat. Anyways I was wondering if anyone had been so bored as to look at pricing out the cost of training for each class from an in world point of view?

reddir
2020-07-14, 10:50 AM
I like to think of Wizards and such being apprentices until they 'come of age' that is RAW legal to be a Wizard.

PHB p109:
Random Starting Ages:
Human adult: 15 years.
Cleric, Druid, Monk, Wizard: Human: 15 + 2d6 years

During this time they are 'paying their dues' in work and such as well as scribing their spells and picking up training as they can.

---------

EDIT -- doesn't answer the question, sorry. just my head-cannon for this topic.

Quertus
2020-07-14, 11:15 AM
So, this sounds like one use of my desires to do "city" / civilization math.

Given agriculture, iirc, something like 2% of your population needs to create food. That leaves the bulk available to produce the magic paper / ink necessary for wizarding.

With enough assembly line aid another, 100 untrained helpers, hitting DC 10 55% of the time, can easily hit +100 (or +90, if you want to hedge your bets for 80% returns) the vast majority of the time, churning out huge amounts of supplies in a run.

If everybody takes their turn, everybody can be a Wizard.

Xervous
2020-07-14, 12:01 PM

But I want all the turns!

Temotei
2020-07-14, 02:48 PM
But I want all the turns!

Now you're thinking like a wizard.

liquidformat
2020-07-14, 02:56 PM
So, this sounds like one use of my desires to do "city" / civilization math.

Given agriculture, iirc, something like 2% of your population needs to create food. That leaves the bulk available to produce the magic paper / ink necessary for wizarding.

With enough assembly line aid another, 100 untrained helpers, hitting DC 10 55% of the time, can easily hit +100 (or +90, if you want to hedge your bets for 80% returns) the vast majority of the time, churning out huge amounts of supplies in a run.

That is assuming that magic paper and ink don't require craft (alchemy) and given the fact that they are 'magic' paper and ink I think it is a fair assumption that they do require craft (alchemy) which can only be used by spellcasters....

Batcathat
2020-07-14, 03:57 PM

I'm not expert on agriculture, whether in D&D or real life but 2 percent to make all of the food sounds very low for an agricultural society. Weren't like 80 percent of people farmers at some point in time?

liquidformat
2020-07-14, 04:00 PM
I'm not expert on agriculture, whether in D&D or real life but 2 percent to make all of the food sounds very low for an agricultural society. Weren't like 80 percent of people farmers at some point in time?

How much magic is being used plays a big factor on what population percentage is needed similar to how much technology is being used in farming for the real world...

Twurps
2020-07-14, 04:03 PM

Sure, but d&d math =/= real world math.
I'm not saying Quertus is correct in his math, cause I haven't checked it. But he was specifically talking d&d math, based on d&d rules and most importantly: prices. which, as anybody who has ever bought a ladder to sell 2 10' poles knows, bear little resemblance to real world pricing.

Quertus
2020-07-14, 04:28 PM
So, from this thread (forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?612619-I-want-to-do-some-city-math-but-don-t-know-where-to-start), I had actually put it at 5/32, or around 16% of the population, on muggle farming, milling, and bread baking, even only operating 30 weeks per year.

So, 80% occupied crafting books, ink, etc, 4% performing miscellaneous operations (like teaching wizardry).