PDA

View Full Version : I need to increase my to-hit bonus

King of Nowhere
2020-07-14, 12:06 PM
I am a 17th level monk in.a mid-op campaing. I am quite enjoying being almost impossible to hurt, and i can deal good damage if i hit.
That's the issue. It's my only significant weakness.
I took weapon focus, a item of str +6, i got another +2 str from wish bonus, a pale green prism ioun stone, and the cleric cast me greater magic weapon daily. I still only manage a +25.
After a big quest i now have 120k gp to spend. What can i buy to boost my hit bonus?

JNAProductions
2020-07-14, 12:09 PM
Can you get Wraithstrike somehow? It makes your attacks Touch attacks.

Biggus
2020-07-14, 12:25 PM
You might find some useful stuff here:

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?144321-3-5-Comprehensive-list-of-way-to-augment-attack-roll

Quertus
2020-07-14, 12:28 PM
Get the party Cleric to cast Divine Favor (and Divine Power) via a Ring of Spell Storing.

Added bonus, you'll get extra attacks to boot!

DeTess
2020-07-14, 12:37 PM
If your DM allows custom items, 120k gp should be able to get an item that allows you to cast greater invisibility on yourself a couple of times per day. Being invisible both gives you a bonus to-hit and denies enemies their dexterity bonus, which should help. A command-word activated item of greater invisibility would set you back a little over 50k gp if you follow the guidelines in the DMG (though your DM might, and maybe should, put in some more limitations).

King of Nowhere
2020-07-14, 12:50 PM
Get the party Cleric to cast Divine Favor (and Divine Power) via a Ring of Spell Storing.

Unfortunately the ring says the spell is cast at the minimum level needed to cast it, so i get only a +1 from divine favor.
I'd like to get them quickened, or they are little use in most combats, but that would be very expensive

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-07-14, 12:50 PM
A custom item that has a continuous effect of the spell Wraithstrike (all melee attacks are resolved as touch attacks) would be spell level 2 x caster level 3 x 2,000 gp x 4 for a duration measured in rounds = 48,000 gp. Keep in mind the minimum caster level is whatever's needed to meet the item's prerequisites (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemDescriptions), so for example a custom ring's minimum caster level is 12 as that's what's required for Forge Ring. So this needs to be a wondrous item to be able to have a caster level as low as 3rd. Wraithstrike is in Spell Compendium and Complete Adventurer.

Bronk
2020-07-14, 02:02 PM
You could try getting a scorpion kama, then enhancing that a bit. Maybe a necklace of natural attacks?

How's your Wisdom compared to your strength? Good enough to trade out your strength item for wisdom, then taking the intuitive strike feat? Or dex and weapon finesse?

This link might help. Maybe take a one level dip in factotum if your int is okay?

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?125732-3-x-X-stat-to-Y-bonus

You're actually in just enough time to take a 3 level dip in an arcane casting class to just cast wraithstrike yourself...

Zanos
2020-07-14, 02:17 PM
I believe there's a psychoactive skin that allows you to use metamorphosis, which could get you a form with a massive base strength score. Your +6 item and +2 inherent bonus should stack on top of that. A bladerager troll has a base strength of 28, bringing you up to 36 with your other gear. Plus some other goodies, like natural armor and such.

el minster
2020-07-14, 02:49 PM
maybe go after the situational bonuses like from higher ground and such maybe tactical feats

Temotei
2020-07-14, 03:12 PM
If Tome of Battle is allowed, a martial discipline weapon (p. 148) gives +3 on attack rolls while using any maneuver from the specified martial discipline. It gives +1 even when not using a maneuver from the keyed discipline, so you don't "lose" any attack either way. Pick up a stance and you have a +3 all the time. You can also key the weapon to multiple disciplines and get stacking bonuses that way. Being in a stance and using a strike from a different keyed discipline gives +6 for that strike (plus enhancement bonuses from the weapon itself). It's pretty late in your career, though, so boosts might be better than strikes. I'd discuss with your DM whether a boost counts as "using" a maneuver for the purpose of a martial discipline weapon.

Assuming you're using unarmed attacks, you'll probably want to either discuss a way to enhance your fists or some hand wraps or whatever, or go into Savage Species (or the online Fight Club articles, according to a post by tyckspoon in 2011) to find a necklace of natural attacks and enhance that.

EDIT: If you somehow qualify for shiba protector (Oriental Adventures p. 222), you can get Wisdom to attack and damage in addition to Strength. It requires being a human in the Phoenix Clan, which doesn't exist in 3.5 as far as I know (so it's legal, but your DM might raise an eyebrow if you suddenly declare you're from the Phoenix Clan at 17th level), Alertness, Combat Expertise, and Iron Will, though, so you'll probably need to visit the otyugh hole (Complete Scoundrel p. 151) for Iron Will, then pick up the others the normal way (bleugh).

If you have Use Magic Device somehow (I'm reminded of old monk debates here), you might want to look into Eilservs School (Drow of the Underdark p. 56). It won't help your attack rolls, but you may be able to use a staff with some sort of debuff spell to indirectly improve your chance to hit after hits from both ends of the staff (as a swift action). It can get kind of expensive without Channel Charge (Lost Empires of Faerun p. 7), though, so I realize I'm reaching here. You may be better off just UMDing a wand of wraithstrike in this case.

vasilidor
2020-07-14, 09:08 PM
Unfortunately the ring says the spell is cast at the minimum level needed to cast it, so i get only a +1 from divine favor.
I'd like to get them quickened, or they are little use in most combats, but that would be very expensive

get a custom item to cast it for you if that is possible. you can set the caster level according to your budget then.

bean illus
2020-07-15, 12:17 AM

Not if you put 12k on a Belt of Battle. Then you get +2 competence on initiative, an extra standard action, and an extra move action.

Go with the ring of spell storing and Divine Power.

You'll win initiative, power up to +17 BAB, move double to close the gap, and still full attack, with an extra attack. What's that worth to ya?

Get 2 sets and use them half your encounters. Get an extra belt or two and get an extra full attack every encounter.

Quertus
2020-07-15, 03:51 AM

Not if you put 12k on a Belt of Battle. Then you get +2 competence on initiative, an extra standard action, and an extra move action.

Go with the ring of spell storing and Divine Power.

You'll win initiative, power up to +17 BAB, move double to close the gap, and still full attack, with an extra attack. What's that worth to ya?

Get 2 sets and use them half your encounters. Get an extra belt or two and get an extra full attack every encounter.

While I'm forced to boggle that I never noticed the "minimum caster level" bit before (unless it's just an SRD thing - AFB), Divine Power is still good, and, iirc, Skin of the Hero overlaps with Divine Favor anyway.

Agreed that Belt of Battle is strong… but I'd rather have a Wizard 1 or Psion 1 henchman Benign Transposition me to the front lines, then double full attack.

King of Nowhere
2020-07-15, 06:43 AM
we decided to not use belt of battle or other similar stuff that breaks action economy. if we were using them, i'd have one already.
on the other hand, suppose i have a rod of metamagic (quicken), could i use it to cast the spell from my ring of spell storing (or from a custom item that would cast divine favor) as a swift action? or do metamagic rods only apply to spells you cast yourself?
martial discipline weapon is also a good option, since i already learned a stance. and as i spent feats on it, it doesn't even feel an exploit.