PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way for a Devotion Paladin's Channel Divinity to destroy undead?

thorr-kan
2020-07-14, 01:41 PM
Is there a way for a Devotion Paladin's Channel Divinity to destroy undead? Preferably without mutliclassing.

Turn the Unholy is awesome. But sometimes you want to blast the undead into dust rather than just make them run away.

paladinn
2020-07-15, 06:31 AM
Is there a way for a Devotion Paladin's Channel Divinity to destroy undead? Preferably without mutliclassing.

Turn the Unholy is awesome. But sometimes you want to blast the undead into dust rather than just make them run away.

This could be a simple houserule, and one with a pedigree. In earlier versions of D&D, a cleric's Turn Undead power would destroy the undead if the cleric were of a high enough level, and if the undead were of a Low enough level.

In 5e, Destroy Undead has been made into a power of its own; but I don't see why it can't be folded back into Turning. Just apply the Destroy Undead "chart" to Turning; then make the Paladin's Turning work the same way, but at a higher level (say, starting at level 7?)

thorr-kan
2020-07-15, 09:26 AM
This could be a simple houserule, and one with a pedigree. In earlier versions of D&D, a cleric's Turn Undead power would destroy the undead if the cleric were of a high enough level, and if the undead were of a Low enough level.

In 5e, Destroy Undead has been made into a power of its own; but I don't see why it can't be folded back into Turning. Just apply the Destroy Undead "chart" to Turning; then make the Paladin's Turning work the same way, but at a higher level (say, starting at level 7?)
Based on my limited research, a house rule does seem the only way to go. And since it's a limited campaign with a new DM, it's not worth pursuing at this time.

Thanks!

paladinn
2020-07-15, 11:43 AM
Based on my limited research, a house rule does seem the only way to go. And since it's a limited campaign with a new DM, it's not worth pursuing at this time.

Thanks!

Still, it's a houserule I'm going to adopt, so thanks for inspiring it!

Man_Over_Game
2020-07-15, 11:52 AM
It's important to note that CR is pretty different than it was in previous editions. Now that lower-level creatures can still pose a threat, the Undead-destroying effect of the old Turning Undead features could be more powerful than it was in the previous editions without proper tuning. It was fairly useless to destroy Undead at the prerequisite levels back then.

KorvinStarmast
2020-07-15, 12:05 PM
This could be a simple houserule, and one with a pedigree. In earlier versions of D&D, a cleric's Turn Undead power would destroy the undead if the cleric were of a high enough level, and if the undead were of a Low enough level. yes, and a paladin of level X could do this as a cleric of level X-2. IIRC, that was in AD&D 1e.

At 3rd level, the paladin gains the power to affect undead and devils and demons as if he or she were a 1st level cleric, and this power goes upwards with each level of experience the paladin gains; so at 4th level the effect is that of a 2nd level cleric, at 5th it is that of a 3rd level cleric, etc. (See The Cleric above.) the cleric used to be able to turn fiends as well ...

Another important attribute of the cleric is the ability to turn away (or actually command into service) the undead and less powerful demons and undead.
The undead are: ghasts, ghosts, ghouls, liches, mummies, shadows, skeletons, spectres, wights, wroiths, vampires, and zombies. These creatures, as well as demons and devils. are detailed in ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS, MONSTER MANUAL. The matrix showing what effect clerics of various levels have upon such creatures is for use by the
Dungeon Master only. As a rule of thumb, a cleric is effective against any undeod monster whose hit dice are not greater than those of the cleric. Only high level clerics have any hope of driving away or influencing demons or devils.
Unlike Men and Magic, which had the table right there. :smallyuk:

The original paladin was really strong:

Paladins of 8th level and above dispel evil (spells, undead, evil enchanted monsters, and the like) simply by ordering it hence, and they detect all evil at a range of 6" a bit OP compared to 5e.

MaxWilson
2020-07-15, 12:48 PM
The original paladin was really strong:
a bit OP compared to 5e.

But it only works if you're way up inside the demon's personal space! 6" is practically kissing distance.

paladinn
2020-07-15, 01:23 PM
In my hybrid game, I'm getting back to the paladin being a fighter with benes. But using Smite Evil instead of Dispel Evil. Easier to quantify.

Arkhios
2020-07-16, 11:03 PM
Yes, it's called Sacred Weapon and smiting undead to pieces with a heavy weapon!

Snide jokes aside, I'd be all game if Devotion paladin had Destroy Undead instead of the 7th level Aura. Considering that a paladin gets Channel Divinity 2 levels later than cleric, it would make sense if it would get Destroy Undead 2 levels later as well.