PDA

View Full Version : recommendation for pdfs

understatement
2020-07-14, 05:36 PM
I'm thinking of buying two of the pdf stories from Gumroad this weekend.

Which ones would you all recommend, extra-content wise?

I already possess Start of Darkness, On the Origin of PCs, and Good Deeds Gone Unpunished, as well as the short bonus stories

Peelee
2020-07-14, 06:29 PM
I'm thinking of buying two of the pdf stories from Gumroad this weekend.

Which ones would you all recommend, extra-content wise?
Oh, right off the bat I'd say Start of Darkness and Good Deeds Gone Unpunished, those are the best ones and, coupled with On the Origin of PCs, contain 100% new material so you should be all set for a good ti-

I already possess Start of Darkness, On the Origin of PCs, and Good Deeds Gone Unpunished, as well as the short bonus stories

...oh.

Don't Split the Party would be my first recommendation if you already have the big three, that had the most memorable extra contact (at least, for me).

LadyEowyn
2020-07-14, 06:33 PM
I’d definitely recommend DSTP and BRITF for the commentaries. For the third, toss-up between Utterly Dwarfed and War & XPs.

Peelee
2020-07-14, 06:35 PM
I’d definitely recommend DSTP and BRITF for the commentaries. For the third, toss-up between Utterly Dwarfed and War & XPs.

Oof, I wasn't even thinking about commentary, I was focusing solely on bonus strips.

understatement
2020-07-14, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! :smallsmile:

KorvinStarmast
2020-07-15, 09:29 AM
gdgu, ootpcs

my two fave pdfs that are bit the story as posted on the web.

Peelee
2020-07-15, 09:34 AM
gdgu, ootpcs

my two fave pdfs that are bit the story as posted on the web.

Assume she already has those two.

Studoku
2020-07-16, 02:57 PM
I agree with Don't Split the Party. The bonus strips include two short arcs- Elan's underwater adventure and Haley stealing Roy's body from Froggy Guy.

137beth
2020-07-16, 04:17 PM
For commentaries, DCF and NCfPB have some "meta" commentary that isn't even in the print version. Because a lot of time passed between the print edition and the PDF release, The Giant wrote new commentary about how his perspective had changed in the intervening years, and gives commentary on the original commentary.

As far as bonus content goes, I'd go with DStP first. The bonus strips add a fair amount to the story, and it also has some world-building in the included fragment of what was going to be an OOTS D&D sourcebook.

knag
2020-07-16, 04:26 PM
As far as bonus content goes, I'd go with DStP first. The bonus strips add a fair amount to the story, and it also has some world-building in the included fragment of what was going to be an OOTS D&D sourcebook.

Seconding DStP because of the sourcebook material. That's some of my favorite bonus content.

understatement
2020-07-17, 11:06 AM
Yay, just finished reading the digital version! There's definitely a lot of bonus content (again, thanks so much for all the recommendations) and I just want to dump a few thoughts:

I agree with Don't Split the Party. The bonus strips include two short arcs- Elan's underwater adventure and Haley stealing Roy's body from Froggy Guy.

*Looks like Hinjo x Lien is not a thing; the former's reaction was pretty hilarious.
*Did no one on the surface notice the ABD? Still, that would've been a really neat piece of foreshadowing.
*Looking at Durkon's current rate of success in eeevil diplomacy, Haley might've been a more interesting choice (barring RC crushing the Resistance and all); she even managed to work a deal with Grubwiggler!
*Great to see Hinjo will be coming back into the story via Sangwaan's prophecy.

For commentaries, DCF and NCfPB have some "meta" commentary that isn't even in the print version. Because a lot of time passed between the print edition and the PDF release, The Giant wrote new commentary about how his perspective had changed in the intervening years, and gives commentary on the original commentary.

Seconding DStP because of the sourcebook material. That's some of my favorite bonus content.

It does look to be a fun campaign. Does the Giant ever elaborate more on it in the other books?

skim172
2020-07-17, 01:52 PM
"Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales" is a fun read. That said, I'm not sure it's available as PDF?

Jaxzan Proditor
2020-08-04, 11:02 PM
"Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales" is a fun read. That said, I'm not sure it's available as PDF?

Over on Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/posts/answer-post-mar-36596373) The Giant said it would be coming to PDF soon (well, "probably May", but obviously that's passed), so I wouldn't be surprised if it was available to purchase online soon. I agree that it is definitely a fun read!