PDA

View Full Version : Expanding domains...

Idea Man
2007-10-29, 07:22 PM
There is a feat in the Complete Divine called Domain Spontaneity, which allows a cleric to cast the spells of one of his domains as channelled spells, just like cure/infict/summon nature's ally. This feat may be taken multiple times, it's effects applying to a new domain each time.

The Contemplative, at levels six and eleven, get access to a new domain that is available to his divine patron.

What would be your selection of domains, based on god(dess)?

I'd pick either Mystra (FR) with illusion, knowledge, magic, and spell or Tymora(also FR) with good, luck, protection, and travel. I pick illusion over good for Mystra because nobody expects a cleric to cast illusions! :smallbiggrin:

Nonah_Me
2007-10-29, 07:33 PM
Boccob's domains are Knowledge and Magic but I forget what else, I've lost my Player Handbook a while ago and have been using the SRD as a replacement. My current character would likely gain more domains related to his patron.

greenknight
2007-10-29, 07:56 PM
Boccob's Domains are Knowledge, Magic and Trickery in Core, with Complete Divine adding Mind and Oracle. All of those can be very useful to a Cleric, with Magic and Trickery being two of the most powerful Domains in Core, IMO. Put them together, and by 20th level you can cast all spells of 7th level and below regardless of class (through Miracle), and some of the really big Wizard spells like Mage's Disjunction, Polymorph any Object, Time Stop, Mind Blank, Weird and Foresight. Not to mention all the granted Domain abilities - using Arcane scrolls, staffs and wands, extra class skills, skill bonuses (including a Diplomacy bonus, excellent for Diplomancer builds) and a +3 bonus to caster level for Divination spells.

The good thing is, if you start with a Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric), and add the Divine Oracle and Contemplative PrCs, you can get all of those Domains and one more.

Suzuro
2007-10-29, 08:23 PM
hmmmmmm.....I need to try this

Nonah_Me
2007-10-29, 08:35 PM
Hmm. That seems to fit my Boccobite Mystic Theurge (Transmuter/Cleric) better than the normal cleric build.

I'll do a search for any threads that validate this. Thanks a bundle, I saw the cloistered cleric term but thought it was from a spaltbook I don't own.

greenknight
2007-10-29, 09:12 PM
Hmm. That seems to fit my Boccobite Mystic Theurge (Transmuter/Cleric) better than the normal cleric build.

The Web Enhancement for Complete Divine (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040522a) has the Dweomerkeeper, which might be of more interest to you. It requires both Arcane and Divine casting, and doesn't grant extra Domains, but it does have some interesting twists for spellcasters. The best of them is Supernatural Spell, which allows you to cast a spell which ignores SR (good against some nasty high SR monsters), and components (good for spells which normally require XP).