PDA

View Full Version : Could you suggest good and not overpowered homebrew exalted feats?

ayvango
2020-07-15, 08:00 AM
I'd like to test simplistic VoP build: monk 1, barbarian 1, shapeshifter druid 18. The problem is that VoP grants 11 exalted feats and I could not fill all slots. Nymph Kiss and Touch of Golden Ice goes without saying. I could get prerequisites for couple other feats. Some feats are just trash (+1 luck bonus 1/day), some requires class features that the build lacks: familiar, animal companion, favored enemy, ki strike, etc. Some limited by ability stats like Words of Creation. Some are incompatible with VoP: Consecrate Spell Trigger.

So I'm searching for a collection of homebrew exalted feats that would not break the game.

From TO perspective exalted feats deficiency is non-relevant since DCFS could swap bonus exalted feats with any normal suitable feats. But I need a simple build suited for low-op party.

Palanan
2020-07-15, 08:40 AM
I'm always glad to recommend the exalted feats that Mephibosheth posted here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?164659-3-5-Exalted-Feats-for-Everyone!&p=9178638) a while ago.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-07-15, 10:37 AM
Vow of Nudity, which is fitting for someone who plans to be in animal form all the time: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?363915-Talya-s-Vow-of-Nudity-Mark-II

GrayDeath
2020-07-15, 11:10 AM
A while ago I came up with the "Vow of not getting into other Group members ways when it matters" or simply "Vow of Silence".

Requirement: 1 Exalted Feat, Being must be able to speack, know at least 1 Language, and be exalted Good, Level 5+.

Restriction: Being can no longer willingly speak to anyone but itself and (if it exists) its Deity.

Bonuses: Being can turn a blind eye to "not quite kosher" things happening in its view (ergo, the tiresome exalted good guy can leave good enough alone, NOT Evil and such^^).
Also becomes immune to any Mind affecting effect that needs shared Language, or otherwise relies on spoken word.

Take with a grain or 27 of salt.^^

Jokes aside, we did do some serious exalted feats a while ago, but they were mostly "removes this stupid idiocy of exalted characters" or other.

Oh, and that one that,we always use when VoP comes into play:

Exalted Flight.

(Wings optional^^)

Requirements: 2 Exalted Feats, one Vow Feat, 6+ HD, Exalted Good.

Gains a Fly Speed of 10+ChaMod*5ft/Good.

Tags: SU.

King of Nowhere
2020-07-15, 11:50 AM
Exalted Flight.

i would call it "freeing oneself from the weight of sin", and have it be an equivalent to air walk.
same stuff, but name and theme fit much better

GrayDeath
2020-07-15, 12:21 PM
i would call it "freeing oneself from the weight of sin", and have it be an equivalent to air walk.
same stuff, but name and theme fit much better

You know, you are correct.

lets rename it: "Unburdened like a Saint". ^^

Troacctid
2020-07-15, 01:05 PM
Have you considered turning existing feats into exalted feats? Some good options: Consecrate Spell, Purify Spell, Spell Focus (Good), Energize Spell, Celestial Heritage, Avenging Strike, Good Devotion, Sun Devotion, Protection Devotion, Divine Censure, Divine Justice, Ritual Blessing, God-Touched, Divine Channeler, Divine Conduit, Divine Fervor, Divine Fortification, Divine Fury, Seer, Spurn Death's Touch, Sacred Radiance, Silver Smite, Awesome Smite, Extra Smiting, Unquenchable Flame of Life, White Scorpion Strike, Sun Soul Monk, Mark of the Triad, Improved Turning, Heighten Turning, Empower Turning, Sanctify Relic, True Believer, Celestial Scion (Naelax), Subduing Strike, Nonlethal Substitution.

Sinner's Garden
2020-07-15, 05:00 PM
I feel like you could have something about being free from original sin and something about Babel to give them the ability to speak with anything.

Of course, that's really the highlight of the Monk class is this arbitrary ability to speak with anything so long as it's alive, at least to me, so it kind of intrudes on that. On the other hand, I've almost never seen anyone take Monk 17 (or even 10). If you wanted to avoid tongues overlap, maybe from a potential Saint template, you could make it give speak with plants and animals or something and then it evolves into speak with anything if you actually have tongues.

Then a related feat that gives you various travel abilities such as pass without trace, water walk, spider climb, some kind of absurd balance boost, what have you, that stems from being liberated from the weight of your earthly bonds. I'd make it extraordinary, to reflect that it's not some active quality you have, but a fundamental nature caused as a side-effect by who you are as a person. This one definitely deserves a follow-up feat that lets you up and fly properly. You don't really have to piecemeal it into three or four parts, but I feel like adding them all together makes things too strong for a feat.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-07-15, 05:14 PM
How about a feat that grants the ability to use VoP without utterly screwing yourself any time you read a sign, touch a doorknob, open a door, enter a house, stand on carpet, look at a statue, or trip a trap?

Or maybe one that allows you to use items on others' behalf, such as giving potions to dying allies so they don't die because you have to selfishly put your own vows above helping others?

Or maybe one that gives you the benefits of a souped-up Ancestral Relic feat (focusing on your own body as the "magic item"), but instead of sacrificing wealth on an altar directly to the gods of commerce or whatever, it is dependent on the monetary value you give to charity? That way the group doesn't feel like you're throwing away their spoils for no reason, since there's a direct correlation between the money you donate and the benefits you reap. Although, given how most adventuring parties go around doing good by taking on villains and destroying monsters, and that most such parties are funded entirely by the spoils of their victories instead of being paid by those they're saving, an adventuring party could easily be said to be a humanitarian organization. Donating to the party itself to help them get better gear would definitely be of more value to the forces of Good than giving hundreds of thousands of gp to an orphanage.

GrayDeath
2020-07-16, 12:50 PM
How about a feat that grants the ability to use VoP without utterly screwing yourself any time you read a sign, touch a doorknob, open a door, enter a house, stand on carpet, look at a statue, or trip a trap?

Or maybe one that allows you to use items on others' behalf, such as giving potions to dying allies so they don't die because you have to selfishly put your own vows above helping others?

Since the interpretation that does not allow you to open doors, or similarly idiotic RAWness was never used in ANY game where I saw the Vow used, thats more akin to simply clarifying the Vow (and making sure not to play with "Muhahaha, now you Did XYZ, that means you fall, your VoP Monk is now ultrasucky, hahahahaaha!". Ergo Morons. Which is always a good suggestion.

I think I once posted how we used VoP (by making it 3 Vows, where only the last one does what a realistically interpreted VoP does now)....maybe I`ll find it later. If not, I`ll post it here once I found it in my files...

Or maybe one that gives you the benefits of a souped-up Ancestral Relic feat (focusing on your own body as the "magic item"), but instead of sacrificing wealth on an altar directly to the gods of commerce or whatever, it is dependent on the monetary value you give to charity? That way the group doesn't feel like you're throwing away their spoils for no reason, since there's a direct correlation between the money you donate and the benefits you reap. Although, given how most adventuring parties go around doing good by taking on villains and destroying monsters, and that most such parties are funded entirely by the spoils of their victories instead of being paid by those they're saving, an adventuring party could easily be said to be a humanitarian organization. Donating to the party itself to help them get better gear would definitely be of more value to the forces of Good than giving hundreds of thousands of gp to an orphanage.

We did use a Legacy Item like that once. Some homebrewing was necessary, but worked for "our" VoP Level 2.
The 3rd didnt allow any items except cheap baseline stuff....

However, mechanics aside, posting a little less ggressively might actually contribute to getting your suggestions received better.
Just saying. Its not as if any of the posters here MADE that horrible book, ya know? ^1^

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-07-16, 01:15 PM
Since the interpretation that does not allow you to open doors, or similarly idiotic RAWness was never used in ANY game where I saw the Vow used, thats more akin to simply clarifying the Vow (and making sure not to play with "Muhahaha, now you Did XYZ, that means you fall, your VoP Monk is now ultrasucky, hahahahaaha!". Ergo Morons. Which is always a good suggestion.

However, mechanics aside, posting a little less ggressively might actually contribute to getting your suggestions received better.
Just saying. Its not as if any of the posters here MADE that horrible book, ya know? ^1^You seem to be under the impression that I'm insulting the OP. I'm not. I'm insulting the idiots that wrote the book.

Palanan
2020-07-16, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry
You seem to be under the impression that I'm insulting the OP.

He wasn’t the only one who had that impression.

Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry
I'm insulting the idiots that wrote the book.

Not helpful.

Morphic tide
2020-07-18, 12:06 PM
My main thing with any situation where a particular built course gets a huge surplus of options everyone gets is tax, tax, tax: Not in the usual sense of every last decent thing eating four feats to get, but in the sense of needing to spend four feats before you start getting the Big Deals. Having those Big Deals share prerequisites, forming actual trees instead of disconnected chains, means that the character who gets 10 extra feats will have a great deal more that double the feat-based power, because they're not spending nearly as much time waiting on prerequisites and have a lot more to spare after they reach them with which to grab Big Deals.

The main thing is having the number of elements in the tree needed be the standard character's expectation for that effect, while including secondary restrictions of a harder sort to confine the more focused builds that get to that point earlier. For instance, it might take 4 feats to access flight, thereby requiring a 9th level character (if using 3.X feats), while the other prerequisites end up giving a hard limit of 5th level, thereby keeping the characters from accessing it before the spellcasters. Similarly, healing could very much start off with the second feat and lead into buff-granting, but actually fitting a proper suite of condition removal alongside a good buffstack would require a significant number of bonus feats.

A somewhat decent example is how a character that's gotten to qualifying for Spring Attack can get Whirlwind Attack or Shot on the Run for two more feats, and from the feats needed to qualify for those they can move into either the combat tricks or ranged damage. Of course, the quality of Dodge and Mobility themselves are a bit below the bar for what I'd be wanting, which is thoroughly "boring but practical" like Power Attack or Combat Expertise. And Whirlwind Attack would be in a tree with Combat Reflexes and probably four feats rather than five, not following Spring Attack of all things.

ayvango
2020-07-18, 12:37 PM
Dragon wings is a good example: it has specific prerequisite - dragonblood (corresponds to exalted). It has two stages: the first gives glide, the second gives flight, but it is HD dependent: half-fly on HD 6, full fledged fly on HD 12. And there are couple of feats that could make fly even better.

Another good example are heritage feats. Like demonic sneak attack: the more demonic feats you have the more sneak attack dices you could reroll. Or demonic skin: the more demonic feats you have the more natural armor bonus you would get. The same approach would fit well in exalted setting.

Falontani
2020-07-19, 02:52 PM

Actually an idea that I have used before; I straight up let the character keep an ancestral relic even with VoP. I could see Ancestral Relic (or VoP) adding a clause to allow those in voluntary poverty to keep their ancestral relic. Living in extreme poverty is to give up worldly possessions, but nothing says you have to cut ties to your family, friends, or anything else. If it is the only thing left of a person, or if it is specifically a memory more than an item, I could definitely see it being allowed. But you can't invest into the item without praying the wealth away, which would violate the vow without a second feat which specifically allows donated funds to count towards your ancestral relic.

My own ideas were the following, although I think they might be a tinge more powerful than the OP is wanting:

Exalted Form [Exalted]
Prerequisites: Vow of poverty, 8 HD
Benefit: Vow of Poverty stat bonuses are now perfection bonuses instead of enhancement
Special: Perfection bonuses stack with other perfection bonuses as if they were untyped.

Exalted Power [Exalted]
Prerequisites: Exalted Form
Benefits: +2 perfection bonus to STR

Exalted Reflexes [Exalted]
Benefits: +2 perfection bonus to DEX

Exalted Fortitude [Exalted]
Benefits: +2 perfection bonus to CON

Exalted Mind [Exalted]
Benefits: +2 perfection bonus to INT

Exalted Insight [Exalted]
Benefits: +2 perfection bonus to WIS

Exalted Ego [Exalted]
Benefits: +2 perfection bonus to CHA

Exalted Perfection [Exalted]
Prerequisites: Vow of Poverty, Exalted Form, Exalted Power, Exalted Reflexes, Exalted Fortitude, Exalted Mind, Exalted Insight, Exalted Ego and 20 HD
Benefits: Once per day you may grant yourself the Paragon template for one minute. After this time you lose all perfection bonuses for the next 24 hours.

This lets the party buff him completely. Alone the character is a tiny bit more powerful (unless you grab Exalted Perfection, but that is at level 20...) than they were without these, but with buff spells (which I guess a VoP Druid could break; but druids break everything already) quickly makes the character a lot more powerful.