PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How often do you use "Large" to "Massive" size monsters?

CatofRiddles
2020-07-16, 02:37 AM
I can't really afford figurines right now, so i'm making little cardboard subtitutes until i can.

Most of the battles i've played in, we faced mostly "Medium" size creatures, numbering anywhere from 3 to 20.

Every once in a while, the DMs would pull out a "large" creature, but i've only encountered the larger categories just recently.

How often do you use the bigger monsters? Do you have more than one larger creature at a time? I'm trying to determine how much of each category i should make.

Demonslayer666
2020-07-16, 10:14 AM
I would just make as many as your first encounter using them calls for, and then make more as you can. If you can't make that many easily, just cut out the right base size and use that.

It feels very "D&D" to me to have one big dangerous monster vs. the players, so I do that from time to time.

prabe
2020-07-16, 10:50 AM
I agree with Demonslayer666, that base size is more important than model size, because that makes it clear which spaces the creature controls. I use dice on squares cut from a beer case if I'm doing multiple critters Large or larger; I have some single miniatures I use for solo opponents or occasionally for flavor.

Dragonsonthemap
2020-07-16, 11:54 AM
I don't play with miniatures very often, but in terms of encounter design, if it's larger than large that's almost always a solo monster, while large creatures often team up with a second or with smaller creatures, especially after tier 1.

DarknessEternal
2020-07-16, 11:57 AM
Every game, up to 10ish.

HappyDaze
2020-07-16, 12:18 PM
I've used the black plastic base of clear container my dice come in as the base for a large creature. I have five sets of dice with cases, so I have enough for most encounters even though we save one for the Druid to wild shape into.