PDA

View Full Version : Slight Boost for the Champion: Selfless Second Wind

Cikomyr2
2020-07-16, 01:13 PM
What if you gave the Champion the ability of using his Second Wind on an ally?

It's not exactly game breaker. Just a nice heroic moment when the fighter helps a downed ally between two attacks. I think it fits nicely in the "Champion" niche.

nickl_2000
2020-07-16, 01:16 PM
What if you gave the Champion the ability of using his Second Wind on an ally?

It's not exactly game breaker. Just a nice heroic moment when the fighter helps a downed ally between two attacks. I think it fits nicely in the "Champion" niche.

I don't see any issue with it really. Would it still be a bonus action? What is the range?

Cikomyr2
2020-07-16, 01:26 PM
I don't see any issue with it really. Would it still be a bonus action? What is the range?

Bonus action. The fighter gets a 1 a day better healing word once a day.

If you worry about the balance, make it 10 feet. Otherwise 30 feet.

MaxWilson
2020-07-16, 01:36 PM
Bonus action. The fighter gets a 1 a day better healing word once a day.

Don't you mean 1/short rest? Or would you specifically restrict the use-on-allies to 1/day and require the other Second Winds to be spent on self?

Yakk
2020-07-16, 01:42 PM
The fastest champion fix is to do this:

Fixed Champion = Champion + Banneret

I mean, both are weak subclasses. Adding them up makes them stronger, and I'm not sure if it is way stronger than BM or Samurai even after adding them up!

You can replace "Royal Envoy" with expertise in any int/wis/cha skill.

Improved Critical

Beginning when you choose this archetype at 3rd level, your weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.

Rallying Cry

When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you learn how to inspire your allies to fight on past their injuries.

When you use your Second Wind feature, you can choose up to three creatures within 60 feet of you that are allied with you. Each one regains hit points equal to your fighter level, provided that the creature can see or hear you.

Remarkable Athlete

Starting at 7th level, you can add half your proficiency bonus (rounded up) to any Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution check you make that doesn't already use your proficiency bonus.

In addition, when you make a running long jump, the distance you can cover increases by a number of feet equal to your Strength modifier.

Cross Training

Starting at 7th level, you gain a skill based off of Intelligence Wisdom or Charisma. You also pick a skill based off of Intelligence Wisdom or Charisma; your proficiency bonus is doubled for any check you make using that skill. These can both be the same skill.

Additional Fighting Style

At 10th level, you can choose a second option from the Fighting Style class feature.

Inspiring Surge

Starting at 10th level, when you use your Action Surge feature, you can choose one creature within 60 feet of you that is allied with you. That creature can make one melee or ranged weapon attack with its reaction, provided that it can see or hear you.

Starting at 18th level, you can choose two allies within 60 feet of you, rather than one.

Bulwark

Beginning at 15th level, you can extend the benefit of your Indomitable feature to an ally. When you decide to use Indomitable to reroll an Intelligence, a Wisdom, or a Charisma saving throw and you aren't incapacitated, you can choose one ally within 60 feet of you that also failed its saving throw against the same effect. If that creature can see or hear you, it can reroll its saving throw and must use the new roll.

Superior Critical

Starting at 15th level, your weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 18-20.

Survivor

At 18th level, you attain the pinnacle of resilience in battle. At the start of each of your turns, you regain hit points equal to 5 + your Constitution modifier if you have no more than half of your hit points left. You don't gain this benefit if you have 0 hit points.

We could probably tighten this up.

KorvinStarmast
2020-07-16, 01:44 PM

I mean, both are weak subclasses. Adding them up makes them stronger, and I'm not sure if it is way stronger than BM or Samurai even after adding them up!

You can replace "Royal Envoy" with expertise in any int/wis/cha skill. Sounds like time for a playtest ... :smallcool:

Hytheter
2020-07-16, 01:59 PM

This is brilliant!

Remarkable Athlete

Starting at 7th level, you can add half your proficiency bonus (rounded up) to any Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution check you make that doesn't already use your proficiency bonus.

In addition, when you make a running long jump, the distance you can cover increases by a number of feet equal to your Strength modifier.

Cross Training

Starting at 7th level, you gain a skill based off of Intelligence Wisdom or Charisma. You also pick a skill based off of Intelligence Wisdom or Charisma; your proficiency bonus is doubled for any check you make using that skill. These can both be the same skill.

I think we could condense and, if we dare, improve these. What if it was just straight up Jack of all Trades plus one free skill and one free expertise? Too much? Idk.

Yakk
2020-07-16, 02:00 PM
Here is a tightened up version:

Champion of Battle

Beginning when you choose this archetype at 3rd level, your weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20. In addition, when you use your Second Wind feature, allies within 60 feet of you that can see or hear you can expend their reaction to regain hit points equal to your fighter level.

Remarkable Athlete

In addition, when you make a running long jump, the distance you can cover increases by a number of feet equal to your Strength modifier, and you gain an additional fighting style.

Natural Leader

Starting at 7th level, you gain proficiency in the persuasion skill. If you already had proficiency, you can pick a different skill based off Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma. In addition, your proficiency bonus is doubled on persuasion skill checks (if you picked a different skill, this bonus still applies to proficiency).

In addition, when you use your Action Surge feature, you can choose a creature within 60 feet of you that is allied with you. That creature can make one melee or ranged weapon attack with its reaction, provided that it can see or hear you. At 15th level you can instead pick 2 creatures.

Bulwark

Starting at 10th level, when you use your indomitable feature to reroll an Intelligence, a Wisdom, or a Charisma saving throw and you aren't incapacitated, you can choose one ally within 60 feet of you that also failed its saving throw against the same effect. If that creature can see or hear you, it can reroll its saving throw and must use the new roll.

Superior Critical

Starting at 15th level, you score critical hits on an 18-20.

Survivor

At 18th level, you attain the pinnacle of resilience in battle. At the start of each of your turns, you regain hit points equal to 5 + your Constitution modifier if you have no more than half of your hit points left. You don't gain this benefit if you have 0 hit points.

I moved the level 10-18 features into 7-18, often lowering their level.

Because I wanted to move the Action Surge out of the 10-18 range, I moved it to 7, then made it called "Natural Leader". Which then means the expertise should apply to persuasion.

7 is busy (with 4 features from the parent classes). 10 is a bit weak, but level 11 is right there, so I'm not too worried. 15 is a power spike; maybe I should move the 2nd target on natural leader from 15 to 18? (I don't think the '2nd target' is worth a full subclass feature slot).