PDA

View Full Version : Ready and Volley

RSP
2020-07-16, 03:33 PM
Playgrounders,
Just thought of this and seeing if I’m missing something in the RAW.

Volley, the Ranger Hunter’s 11th level ability, is its own type of Action that doesn’t have the “on your turn” wording that Extra Attack does. I figure this means one can Ready the Volley Action to Attack more than one creature as a Reaction.

Would still require a properly worded trigger to use effectively, but seems good from a RAW perspective.

Anyone see anything I’m missing?

MrStabby
2020-07-16, 05:22 PM
My understanding is that it works. I don't see an issue.

Man_Over_Game
2020-07-16, 07:06 PM
Seems RAW to me. Doesn't even mention the Attack Action, which was the only "Gotcha" I could think of.

RSP
2020-07-19, 08:35 AM
Seems RAW to me. Doesn't even mention the Attack Action, which was the only "Gotcha" I could think of.

Same way i thought of it. Apparently though, there is this from SA:

Jeremy Crawford
@LexStarwalker “Sure thing! Like Extra Attack, Multiattack is meant to be on the creature's turn (MM, 11).”
12:10 AM · May 30, 2015

I think the confusion comes from “Multiattack” being the name of the Ranger ability that lets them choose Volley (which uses the “Volley Action” as opposed to a “Multiattack Action” or “Attack Action”).

Not that JC’s tweets should be considered RAW, or infallible.

Chronos
2020-07-20, 09:06 AM
Would still require a properly worded trigger to use effectively, but seems good from a RAW perspective.
I can think of some situations. Like, there's a group present who you're not sure if they're hostile or not (but the group can be assumed to all be working to the same ends): If any one of them attacks any of the party, then volley the lot of them.

In fact, I think that being unsure of hostility is the primary reason why my group has used readied actions, in the past (coming in a little ahead of "if a monster shows up", for things coming around a corner, leaving stealth, etc).

Man_Over_Game
2020-07-20, 09:15 AM
Same way i thought of it. Apparently though, there is this from SA:

Jeremy Crawford
@LexStarwalker “Sure thing! Like Extra Attack, Multiattack is meant to be on the creature's turn (MM, 11).”
12:10 AM · May 30, 2015

I think the confusion comes from “Multiattack” being the name of the Ranger ability that lets them choose Volley (which uses the “Volley Action” as opposed to a “Multiattack Action” or “Attack Action”).

Not that JC’s tweets should be considered RAW, or infallible.

Right. "Multiattack" is just "Extra Attack" on a monster's stat block. That's why he refers to the Monster Manual. It's not even called "Multiattack" on the Ranger's class powers, as "Multiattack" is just the name of the feature that gives you the Volley/Whirlwind Action.