PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Races as Backgrounds [Houserule]

Amechra
2020-07-16, 11:31 PM
So, what with all the kerfuffle about D&D's... interesting... relationship with race, and the common refrain that Variant Human is one of the strongest choices in a game that allows feats... why not go all the way?

To put it bluntly: throw the current mechanical implementation of races out of the window. Everyone is, mechanically speaking, a Variant Human - you start off with +1 to two different ability scores of your choice, a bonus language, a bonus skill, and a bonus feat. Instead, races boil down to a set of backgrounds - for example, "Elf" could be a background that hands out...

• Proficiency in History and Perception.
• The Elven language and a tool proficiency.
• A background feature that gives them the whole "trance instead of sleeping, you live for a really long time" package.
• A list of suggested starting feats.

It's a stupidly simple idea, but I kinda want to try it out.

Ninjadeadbeard
2020-07-17, 01:33 AM
Well, I think my first question would be: Would you like to see this implemented as a Background? Or as a subsystem next to Backgrounds?

Because the former takes us back to the Old Days, where Dwarf was a Class you picked. It didn't matter if you wanted to be a Rogue Dwarf, or a Wizard Dwarf. You were a Dwarf.

I would almost suggest that each Race is a feat you can only pick at first level. That way, you could also easily brew up something that can be dropped into systems like D&D Beyond, so we could implement them even during Quarantine, where everyone is already working with harder-to-brew online platforms.

Yakk
2020-07-17, 09:20 AM
Use variant human (+1 to two stats of choice, 1 feat). Add in starting-class-stat-bonus (+1 to stats you get a saving throw bonus on).

Give characters 2 backgrounds. Race, not race, whatever.

Dwarf Elf? Go for it.

JNAProductions
2020-07-17, 09:23 AM
Use variant human (+1 to two stats of choice, 1 feat). Add in starting-class-stat-bonus (+1 to stats you get a saving throw bonus on).

Give characters 2 backgrounds. Race, not race, whatever.

Dwarf Elf? Go for it.

I’d tweak the class bonuses.

Why would Paladins get Wisdom instead of Strength?

Yakk
2020-07-17, 10:01 AM
Because their god grants them wisdom?

The bonuses aren't intended to be "exactly what you want". They are supposed to be somewhat inline with your class.

A level 1 Paladin can use a floating bonus for +1 str and +1 con, and get +1 wis/cha from her class.

The difference between 17 and 16 isn't a huge one; a half-feat when bumping the stat. So I'm not very concerned.

Making it "your saving throw proficiencies" makes it a non-argument, and no new table to look up. At the same time, it adds a bit of "your class is your calling". I, personally, like that additional non-optimized texture.