PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Is Xykon's Fortress a Red Herring and what are it's defenses?

Kakuro
2020-07-17, 12:40 PM
http://https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0833.html

I've been going over the scene where Xykon's Fortress- Tomb thingie is introduced and I keep wondering if it's going to be the sight of his final battle with the order or if it's going to simply be used as a fake out. at the moment, Durkon is the only one who knows that it even exists, and they have no way to get there.and since Redcloak swapped the holy symbols, it's an exercise in futility to even go there. But on the off chance that it's not, what defenses/traps would you put to hide your phylactery behind if you were an epic level lich?

dancrilis
2020-07-17, 12:58 PM

I've been going over the scene where Xykon's Fortress- Tomb thingie is introduced and I keep wondering if it's going to be the sight of his final battle with the order or if it's going to simply be used as a fake out. at the moment, Durkon is the only one who knows that it even exists, and they have no way to get there.and since Redcloak swapped the holy symbols, it's an exercise in futility to even go there. But on the off chance that it's not, what defenses/traps would you put to hide your phylactery behind if you were an epic level lich?

I am dubious as to if it will come up again - the Order doing a while dungeon crawl before the final battle with Xykon has kindof been done before.

I want it to be relevant but I have trouble seeing it.

However I do wonder if Durkon (or Minrah) has let anyone know about it or if he is taking Thor's instruction to be a divine proclamation to not take any action on it.

Dion
2020-07-17, 01:18 PM
My guess: Xykon’s Astral Fortress will be referenced one more time in comic.

I predict Xykon will be destroyed, and he will be reconstructed in a place of Redcloak’s choosing. I further predict he will be reconstructed in a prison constructed by Redcloak.

And while imprisoned, he will monologue and discuss his astral fortress.

InvisibleBison
2020-07-17, 05:39 PM
I'm inclined to think that the fortress might be mentioned, especially if Xykon is destroyed and starts to regenerate, but the plot won't actually go there. It seems to me that the narrative role of the fortress in 833 is to show how Xykon is starting to distrust Redcloak. Thor does mention the fortress in 1137 (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1137.html), but I think that's just setting up the punchline in an otherwise not particularly humorous comic.

Also, the link in the OP doesn't work - the initial http:// should be removed.

Squire Doodad
2020-07-17, 05:43 PM

Easy: whenever someone who isn't me teleports in, that part of the fortress immediately plane shifts and then teleports to a remarkably dangerous place, probably the core of the world, and then immediately does several levels of dimensional anchor and other forms of locking to prevent anyone from escaping.

Morty
2020-07-17, 05:53 PM
I am dubious as to if it will come up again - the Order doing a while dungeon crawl before the final battle with Xykon has kindof been done before.

On the flipside, ending the story in a way that deliberately recalls its beginning but highlights all that's changed since is a tried and true device. The Order began this story as a bumbling gang of misfits trying to reach and fight a lich for their own personal reasons. They'd end it trying to reach and fight that very same lich as a well-coordinated group of powerful heroes trying to save the world - all the worlds, really.

That doesn't mean it's guaranteed to happen, of course. At this point it could go either way. But I wouldn't dismiss the idea that the Order might end up there.

MartytheBioGuy
2020-07-17, 05:59 PM
With that in mind, I'd actually love to seethe order as they are do a more standard dungeon crawl, maybe with some plot echoes of the original.

dancrilis
2020-07-17, 08:54 PM
On the flipside, ending the story in a way that deliberately recalls its beginning but highlights all that's changed since is a tried and true device. The Order began this story as a bumbling gang of misfits trying to reach and fight a lich for their own personal reasons. They'd end it trying to reach and fight that very same lich as a well-coordinated group of powerful heroes trying to save the world - all the worlds, really.

That doesn't mean it's guaranteed to happen, of course. At this point it could go either way. But I wouldn't dismiss the idea that the Order might end up there.

It would be a very nice bookends element, but I have difficulty seeing it being actually interesting for 100ish comic stripes - now could The Giant pull it off? sure but I am not seeing it being worth pulling off.

CawCawMarmalade
2020-07-20, 11:28 AM
It would be a very nice bookends element, but I have difficulty seeing it being actually interesting for 100ish comic stripes - now could The Giant pull it off? sure but I am not seeing it being worth pulling off.

Especially since we're already at a perfectly good dungeon that could be used for bookend purposes - the defenses of Kraagor's Gate.

The Pilgrim
2020-07-20, 11:55 AM
My personal thoughts on the matter are that the purpose of the Astral Fortress was to inform us that Xykon has built a retreat to take cover when the world gets destroyed. Meaning that at this point he isn't really looking forward to finish The Plan, just enjoying the ride while it lasts.

His Astral Fortress almost certainly has a full Home Cinema Teevo Set installed in a dedicated room, were he expects to invest the interim period until the next world enjoying the deaths of every people in the world replayed over and over again. I mean, if every death is just a minute long, it will take him like two centuries to watch them all investing his full time 24/7.

Peelee
2020-07-20, 11:59 AM
My personal thoughts on the matter are that the purpose of the Astral Fortress was to inform us that Xykon has built a retreat to take cover when the world gets destroyed. Meaning that at this point he isn't really looking forward to finish The Plan, just enjoying the ride while it lasts.

Xykon is highly misinformed about the nature of The Plan.

The Pilgrim
2020-07-20, 12:06 PM
Xykon is highly misinformed about the nature of The Plan.

And he knows it. That's why he asked Tsukiko to study the ritual for him.

:xykon: "Don't confuse not caring with not knowing".

Peelee
2020-07-20, 12:08 PM
And he knows it. That's why he asked Tsukiko to study the ritual for him.

:xykon: "Don't confuse not caring with not knowing".

He knows something is up. He doesn't know what. Preparing for the "what" is tricky when you don't know what it is.

The Pilgrim
2020-07-20, 12:14 PM
He knows something is up. He doesn't know what. Preparing for the "what" is tricky when you don't know what it is.

Yeah, and Xykon's prefered solution for such a connundrum is to blast everything up with maximum prejudice, and call it a day.

So I'm going to go the extra mile and bet that the last gate will be destroyed by Xykon, on purpose. I mean, when you are a guy who only enjoys watching things die, the perspective of causing the death of hundreds of millions, maybe billions, of people with a single spell slot, then going to your Astral Retreat to enjoy the records in a Panoramic Screen, greatly outnumbers taking the risk of getting fooled by your goblin lackey.

That's how I personally view it.

Peelee
2020-07-20, 12:18 PM
Yeah, and Xykon's prefered solution for such a connundrum is to blast everything up with maximum prejudice, and call it a day.

So I'm going to go the extra mile and bet that the last gate will be destroyed by Xykon, on purpose. I mean, when you are a guy who only enjoys watching things die, the perspective of causing the death of hundreds of millions, maybe billions, of people with a single spell slot, then going to your Astral Retreat to enjoy the records in a Panoramic Screen, greatly outnumbers taking the risk of getting fooled by your goblin lackey.

That's how I personally view it.

You think the one guy who's said "I don't want the world to blow up" is now planning to blow up the world? That is one bold theory.

understatement
2020-07-20, 12:21 PM
Especially since we're already at a perfectly good dungeon that could be used for bookend purposes - the defenses of Kraagor's Gate.

And also, how would the Order even get to the fortress and back out anyway?

Fyraltari
2020-07-20, 12:28 PM
I think the fortress was only there as a distraction for Xykon while Redcloak was getting the phylactery back/murdering Tsukiko.

The world blowing up has always been a possible outcome of the Plan. Xykon doesn’t know what Redcloak is planning exactly* but he knows it involves a world destroying monster. So ‘I may need a place to go wait out while the world is being rebuilt’ might have been a reason for Xykon to place his fortress on the Astral Plane rather than on the Prime.

By the way, does the fact that the Ritual is part arcane magic mean TDO has levels of wizard/sorcerer/whatever other arcane magic user?

*I wouldn’t be surprised if he had guessed the general idea, though. He is observant, knows the Ritual was created by the Dark One and probably suspects it doesn’t do what was advertised. It’s not such a huge leap to go from there to ‘it gives the Dark One control over the Snarl’.

The Pilgrim
2020-07-20, 12:31 PM
You think the one guy who's said "I don't want the world to blow up" is now planning to blow up the world? That is one bold theory.

That was several hundred strips ago. Before Redcloak got uppity, and Xykon began to suspect there was something fishy about the Plan.

Read Xykon's speech about Power (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0657.html), and apply it to the Snarl Plan. Taking control of the Snarl isn't something that really fits with what Xykon perceives as "gaining Power". Specially as he suspects there is a fair chance that the goblin is fooling him about the real nature of the Ritual.

We all are expecting the guys in Team Evil to turn against each other. We know Redcloak has been planning to backstab Xykon all along. Why wouldn't Xykon be planning to do exactly the same?

Peelee
2020-07-20, 12:35 PM
That was several hundred strips ago. Before Redcloak got uppity, and Xykon began to suspect there was something fishy about the Plan.

Redcloak got uppity with Xykon in SOD. Also, we don't know when Xykon suspected something was fishy about The Plan. There's no reason to suspect it was suddenly and Tsukiko joined; that's merely when we found out he was suspicious.

Also, it's a bit odd to hear a rebuttal containing "i do not think so because that was several hundred strips ago," and then also "read this thing that was several hundred strips ago."

dancrilis
2020-07-20, 12:38 PM
Why wouldn't Xykon be planning to do exactly the same?

Because he doesn't have to plan anything he could capture Redcloak now, murder Gobbotopia in front of him then murder him and lock his soul in a pricey rock - essentially Redcloak needs to wait before he can betray Xykon, Xykon doesn't need to wait to deal with Redcloak he could do so right now if he wanted to.

There is little point in destroying the world for Xykon - when he could just not and make a fair attempt to conquer it the old fashioned way (and with the world destroyed the god rules might break down and so hidding on a different plane might not be the good plan it sounds like).

The Pilgrim
2020-07-20, 03:01 PM
Redcloak got uppity with Xykon in SOD. Also, we don't know when Xykon suspected something was fishy about The Plan. There's no reason to suspect it was suddenly and Tsukiko joined; that's merely when we found out he was suspicious.

Also, it's a bit odd to hear a rebuttal containing "i do not think so because that was several hundred strips ago," and then also "read this thing that was several hundred strips ago."

I don't know what you find odd about it. The strip I mentioned happened a book after the one you mentioned.

Anyway, Xykon never said he doesn't wants to destroy the World. What he said is that he was not into destroying the world unless he gets really REALLY bored (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0442.html).

And what happened in the next hundred strips? He got stranded for months in Gobbtopia and got really REALLY bored (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0543.html).

Then got his Philactery almost thrown into the Snarl (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0660.html).

Ordered Tsukiko to investigate the Ritual (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0709.html)

Found out that Redcloak had expediently killed Tsukiko when he discovered she was investigating the Ritual (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0833.html)

And last time we saw him, he didn't look in a hurry to find the Last Gate (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1041.html), and was in fact happy to be killing things close enough to his level.

So, in sum:
- Xykon has got a taste of what feels to be a ruler, and the answer is: BOOORING
- Xykon has got to feel how dangerous the Snarl can be, for him, personally.
- Xykon has grown supicious of the Plan (Rich confirms this in p.256 of BRitF), and has got his suspicion confirmed by Redcloak's expedit dispatchment of Tsukiko.
- Xykon, who broke Redcloak's will in SoD, has seen the goblin get back up, and is worried by his lackey's rising power (again, Rich comments on this in p.256 of BRitF).

Therefore, it's not far-fetched to assume that Xykon has grow disaffected from the end goal of dominating the Snarl to conquer the world, as:
- Ruling is Boring.
- Redcloak is almost certainly hiding something about the Plan from him.
- The Snarl is too dangerous. (I don't think it's a coincidence that Xykon built his Fortress in the Astral Plane, safe from the Snarl).

So, when they find the last gate:
- Is Xykon going to finish the Ritual? No way, unless he finds out first what it really does.
- Would Xykon perform the Ritual if he actually finds out what it really does? No way.

Xykon also knows that Redcloak will stop collaborating with him the very moment he stops working in the Plan. And he knows Redcloak has risen to a level of power were he begins to be a real threat (again, Rich's comments in BRitF). And now Redcloak is confraternizing with the enemy and being told that the goblins have a Plan B. But only if the Snarl is not released.

The more I think about it, the more I see it coming to Xykon destroying the Last Gate.

Peelee
2020-07-20, 03:05 PM
I don't know what you find odd about it. The strip I mentioned happened a book after the one you mentioned.

I found it odd that you dismissed my argument with a point that I can use to dismiss your argument.

Anyway, I have yet to see that Xykon is really, really bored, or would be if the Gate thing turned out to not really pan out for him.

dancrilis
2020-07-20, 03:12 PM
<cut for length>

You think Xykon's solution to boredom is to spend an untold amount of time alone in his fortress?

The Pilgrim
2020-07-20, 03:38 PM
You think Xykon's solution to boredom is to spend an untold amount of time alone in his fortress?

The Outer Planes are full of stuff to kill that also can yeld XP for him. After all, if they clear all the monsters in Serini's Dungeon, that's all this world has to offer him in regards of XP.

Jacky720
2020-07-20, 03:56 PM

Untold amount of time alone in his fortress... with television!

137beth
2020-07-20, 05:22 PM
Okay, how about this for some wild speculation:

While hiding the fake phylactery, Xykon inspected it (probably with divination) and determined that it was fake. He then deduced what Redcloak had done. Since Xykon doesn't sleep, he sneaked in to Redcloak's room in the middle of the night and swapped the real phylactery that Redcloak had for the fake one. Xykon was able to disable or bypass any magical security Redcloak had in his room without waking him up.

Later in the book, the Order will destroy Xykon's body, but they will need to go to the fortress to destroy the real phylactery.

understatement
2020-07-20, 06:03 PM
Okay, how about this for some wild speculation:

While hiding the fake phylactery, Xykon inspected it (probably with divination) and determined that it was fake. He then deduced what Redcloak had done. Since Xykon doesn't sleep, he sneaked in to Redcloak's room in the middle of the night and swapped the real phylactery that Redcloak had for the fake one. Xykon was able to disable or bypass any magical security Redcloak had in his room without waking him up.

Later in the book, the Order will destroy Xykon's body, but they will need to go to the fortress to destroy the real phylactery.

Wouldn't he just kill Redcloak then and there?

Quizatzhaderac
2020-07-20, 08:08 PM
So some wild speculation: Xykon's fortress isn't protected from divine intervention.

Possibility one: Xykon becomes inconvenient for the dark one.

Possibility two: Thor does what Thor would do (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0073.html).

You think Xykon's solution to boredom is to spend an untold amount of time alone in his fortress?Ignoring the fact that Xykon might do something shortsighted:

Once Xykon has exhausted his interest in the world he has the choice between finite entertainment destroying it or zero entertainment preserving it.

Also, it's not like it's the only world in the world after all.

Quartz
2020-07-21, 04:03 AM
at the moment, Durkon is the only one who knows that it even exists,

Minrah knows too.

BlackKnightJack
2020-07-21, 06:22 AM

Why are we assuming Xykon is even going to be the final boss of the story? Chances are the current arc really is going to be the final one with Xykon and, if the pattern holds, there will be one final one afterwords that deals with the Snarl directly. It's kind of a waste to have a god-killing abomination and barely use it as anything other than a macguffin.

Jacky720
2020-07-21, 07:26 AM
Why are we assuming Xykon is even going to be the final boss of the story? Chances are the current arc really is going to be the final one with Xykon and, if the pattern holds, there will be one final one afterwords that deals with the Snarl directly. It's kind of a waste to have a god-killing abomination and barely use it as anything other than a macguffin.

I think we've gotten direct word that Xykon will be the climactic fight, which probably implies the IFCC, world in the Rifts, and Snarl will just be handled before Xykon?

Peelee
2020-07-21, 09:47 AM

Imean, it is nothing other than a macguffin (and also Xykon will likely be the final boss):
The MacGuffin is not the antagonist. The MacGuffin is the object sought by the antagonist. Narratively speaking, it does not matter what it does—only that the antagonist is willing to kill the protagonist to get it. That is the source of the conflict. It does not matter what is in the rift, it matters who is willing to kill whom to get it, even if they are mistaken about its usefulness. What is in the rift is only important insofar as it may, at some point, change who is willing to kill whom and why. And that IS important, because those details will change the shape of what happens, but not as the source of conflict. The Snarl is not the threat; Xykon is the threat. The Snarl's powers have as much relevance to the quest to get the Snarl as the exact properties of the glowing briefcase have on the plot of Pulp Fiction, or the exact dollar value of the statue in The Maltese Falcon.
ETA: I also like the description of the Snarl's role here:

The Snarl is like a nuclear bomb. You can get a lot of leverage out of owning a nuclear bomb, because no one wants it dropped on them. But if everyone knows you only own one and then you use it on someone...then everyone left knows you don't have it anymore. Sucks for your one target, but it won't end well for you, either.

Both quotes are only partial, and if you'd like to see everything he said you can click on the button by his name to get full context.

Mic_128
2020-07-21, 10:45 AM

Xykon is many things - stealthy and subtle however, he is not. He woould have beaten the crap out of Redclaok and then threatened the lives of the Goblins (or here, Bugbears) or just started killing em, until Redcloak handed over the phylactery.

Kantaki
2020-07-21, 12:45 PM
Untold amount of time alone in his fortress... with television!

But there'll be nothing but reruns.
That'll get boring quick.
A few centuries in at best.
Long, long before the gods create new stuff for Xykon to murder.

Psyren
2020-07-21, 12:55 PM
I think his doom fortress, like the lich himself, will ultimately prove to be wholly irrelevant - much like other epic evil spellcasters likely had grandiose plans in their own times that ended up coming to naught in the end (see also the Soul Splices). It'll be a curiosity for high-level adventurers in the future to plumb and nothing more, one that may not even have any treasure at the end.

Narratively its purpose has been fulfilled - it makes Xykon think he has a safety net far away from anything that might kill him, which will cause him to behave more recklessly than he might have if he thought his phylactery wasn't secure. That's really all it needs to be as far as the immediate plot goes, we never actually have to go there.

DavidBV
2020-07-23, 08:11 AM
The plot as we know it has made the fortress redundant; two possibilities can make the fortress relevant again to the story:

-We are wrong about the plot. For instance, Xykon used some clever scheme to trick Redcloak and then played the fool. The philactery may, after all, be hidden in the fortress. Seems unlikely, but Rich is very crafty so I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

-It becomes relevant again through new plot developments. If I am not mistaken an hypothetical world destruction wouldn't affect the fortress so somehow it could become the scenario of a final clash/chase. Very hard to predict at this point.

Given we're at the final book, and we still haven't seen the inside of Kraagors' nor resolved the Godsmoot etc, it doesn't seem likely that either of the above will happen. A pity, but maybe we can one day see it in a spin-off book.

GreatWyrmGold
2020-07-23, 10:36 AM
I'm not sure Xykon's astral "fortress-tomb-thingy" is significant enough to qualify as a red herring. It's introduced as literally just a super-safe place to stick his phylactery, and two comics after we find out that the phylactery he stuck there isn't the real one.

That said, I can't help but notice something unusual about the title. It asks both "Does Xykon's fortress matter?" and "What are the defenses of this possibly irrelevant thing?"

HiddenTrack
2020-07-23, 11:00 AM
I feel like I can imagine a bizarre time heist scenario way way towards endgame when the grand phylactery switch has been revealed, the phylactery has been blown up, all hell has broken loose and everything is chaotic madness, and they're trying to piece reality back together. Then something like this exchange happens:

"We need to go back to that moment we destroyed the phylactery and swap it."

"But to do that we'd need something that was identical to the original phylactery in every single way! One that was created before any of this happened! ...oh. Oh no. :smalleek:"

...but that's pretty much the level of plot gymnastics I have to do to make that the fortress feel like a satisfactory callback.

Xykon just going "Yeah, I knew it was fake all along, and the real one is actually in the fortress, hurrah!" would feel like a bit of a copout.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-07-23, 05:38 PM
I feel like I can imagine a bizarre time heist scenario way way towards endgame when the grand phylactery switch has been revealed, the phylactery has been blown up, all hell has broken loose and everything is chaotic madness, and they're trying to piece reality back together. Then something like this exchange happens:

"We need to go back to that moment we destroyed the phylactery and swap it."

"But to do that we'd need something that was identical to the original phylactery in every single way! One that was created before any of this happened! ...oh. Oh no. :smalleek:"

...but that's pretty much the level of plot gymnastics I have to do to make that the fortress feel like a satisfactory callback.

Xykon just going "Yeah, I knew it was fake all along, and the real one is actually in the fortress, hurrah!" would feel like a bit of a copout.

Please no time travel antics please no time travel antics please no time travel antics.
It happened in Endgame, it happened in star wars even... please no time travel antics.

ijuinkun
2020-07-26, 01:21 AM
So some wild speculation: Xykon's fortress isn't protected from divine intervention.

Possibility one: Xykon becomes inconvenient for the dark one.

Possibility two: Thor does what Thor would do (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0073.html).

Given that it's on the Astral Plane, it would be free from many of the rules which restrain the Gods from acting directly on the Prime Material Plane, so either or both of them probably could go and attack it themselves if need be.

brian 333
2020-07-26, 11:21 AM
Given that it's on the Astral Plane, it would be free from many of the rules which restrain the Gods from acting directly on the Prime Material Plane, so either or both of them probably could go and attack it themselves if need be.

At the risk of creating another Snarl, of course.

The gods have their rules and millions of worlds of experience that inform their actions, and direct action which may anger another deity is something they have learned not to do.

It may be that no other deity cares about Xykon, but if one does it's bad form to risk a breach of peace through direct action. It is much better to let some mortals deal with it according to the rules and completely eliminate any potential for clashing quiddities.

ebarde
2020-07-26, 01:49 PM
Honestly I highly doubt Xykon wasn't any wiser after what Redcloak pulled, you can even see that in the conversation they had when leaving Azure City he basically just pretended to shrug it off but he seemed genuinely suspicious. Not sure to what extent he mistrusts Redcloak, but I certainly think he takes him more seriously as a threat now than before, and probably knows something we don't. Thor mentioning Xykon's fortress just solified in my mind that there's a bit more going on there, cause if the fortress was just to show Xykon was fearful for his soul's safety after his battle with V there wouldn't be a need to mention it again.

It also could never amount to anything and just be a red herring, but usually the best red herrings do in fact have a bit more to them just not what one would infer at first glance. So yeah, I think the fortress is gonna play some sort of narrative purpose, I'm just not sure what at this moment. I also doubt Xykon isn't at least more in the process of wising up to Reckoak's attempts to undermine him, and probably knows at least a bit more than we think he knows.

Morty
2020-07-26, 02:11 PM

I don't know why other people assume it, because I certainly don't. What I'm saying is that it's possible, not guaranteed.

thereaper
2020-07-26, 03:54 PM
Honestly I highly doubt Xykon wasn't any wiser after what Redcloak pulled, you can even see that in the conversation they had when leaving Azure City he basically just pretended to shrug it off but he seemed genuinely suspicious. Not sure to what extent he mistrusts Redcloak, but I certainly think he takes him more seriously as a threat now than before, and probably knows something we don't. Thor mentioning Xykon's fortress just solified in my mind that there's a bit more going on there, cause if the fortress was just to show Xykon was fearful for his soul's safety after his battle with V there wouldn't be a need to mention it again.

It also could never amount to anything and just be a red herring, but usually the best red herrings do in fact have a bit more to them just not what one would infer at first glance. So yeah, I think the fortress is gonna play some sort of narrative purpose, I'm just not sure what at this moment. I also doubt Xykon isn't at least more in the process of wising up to Reckoak's attempts to undermine him, and probably knows at least a bit more than we think he knows.

I interpreted Thor's reference as a joke lampshading the fact that the fortress won't be relevant. We have one book to address the tomb and the world in the rift. It seems unlikely that there is space for the fortress, too.

I do agree that it's silly to assume Xykon doesn't realize he's being tricked. SoD proved he is capable of being crafty when he wants to. The question is, what he plans to do about it.

Ironsmith
2020-08-03, 10:31 AM
It's a large, magically-charged rock drifting through "space". I'll be disappointed if it doesn't get dropped on something/one.

TRH
2020-08-03, 11:35 AM
Well, in addition to his personal power, Xykon has one big ace in the hole to use against Redcloak. You know, how

The MitD is geased to eat Redcloak and spit out his holy symbol if he betrays Xykon. There's no way in the world Redcloak will be prepared for that when the Monster has been an utter non-threat for as long as they've known each other, so I can't see him surviving that. And if he's taken to wearing the phylactery again, which I assume is the case, then Xykon will reclaim it afterwards, and can store it in his fortress, which would necessitate the Order going there to finish him once and for all.

As to where the Snarl plot will be at that point, I'm not sure, but maybe Xykon would have the idea of modifying his half of the ritual to move the Snarl to the most populated area in the world to devour the inhabitants out of spite for being duped. That seems about right.

Squire Doodad
2020-08-03, 12:40 PM
It's a large, magically-charged rock drifting through "space". I'll be disappointed if it doesn't get dropped on something/one.

"So unless you've got a spell that drops castles on people, there's no way..." (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2007/12/13/episode-931-reach-the-stars-and-fly-a-fantasy/)

faustin
2020-08-05, 02:42 AM
Sometimes I wonder if Xykon found out about the fake phylactery. Then again, I cannot conceive any good reason he shouldn't have gone ballistic and retrieve the real one from Redcloak's corpse.

dancrilis
2020-08-05, 04:19 AM
Sometimes I wonder if Xykon found out about the fake phylactery. Then again, I cannot conceive any good reason he shouldn't have gone ballistic and retrieve the real one from Redcloak's corpse.

We don't actually know that Redcloak didn't give him the real one - it is assumed but not shown.
Also we don't know if Xykon didn't spot it and swap them out.

Why would Xykon allow this - his Spellcraft is better the Tsukiko's so it is possible that she was a false flag for Redcloak and he has already figured out what she did and expanded his own half of the ritual to do more, if he has figured out that Redcloak intends to give The Dark One control of the gate then there would be a magical connection between the gate and The Dark One established which is exactly the kindof thing that a wily sorcerer like Xykon might use to allow the gate to be automatically moved and broken so that he can kill his first god - hell he might be able to siphon off enough divinity juice from it to ascend himself (and he might be much more amenable to working with others while he gets a seat at the table - which would be somewhat karmic I suppose).

When it's really important, it's worth it to go that extra mile.

faustin
2020-08-05, 05:21 AM
We don't actually know that Redcloak didn't give him the real one - it is assumed but not shown.
Also we don't know if Xykon didn't spot it and swap them out.

Why would Xykon allow this - his Spellcraft is better the Tsukiko's so it is possible that she was a false flag for Redcloak and he has already figured out what she did and expanded his own half of the ritual to do more, if he has figured out that Redcloak intends to give The Dark One control of the gate then there would be a magical connection between the gate and The Dark One established which is exactly the kindof thing that a wily sorcerer like Xykon might use to allow the gate to be automatically moved and broken so that he can kill his first god - hell he might be able to siphon off enough divinity juice from it to ascend himself (and he might be much more amenable to working with others while he gets a seat at the table - which would be somewhat karmic I suppose).

When it's really important, it's worth it to go that extra mile.

Xykon as a God. Now THAT is scary.

WindStruck
2020-08-08, 12:50 AM
One of the much earlier strips had them lampshading the idea that any time a dungeon is left uninhabited for any period of time, monsters move into that dungeon.

Xykon could come back to his fortress on the astral plane and find it.. annoyingly inhabited by something, again.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-08-09, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Xykon knows, but just.. doesn't care. Like, he's completely aware of all of Redcloak's plans, but knows that he at least needs redcloak for a bit, and then as soon as redcloak starts to try something, xykon will disintegrate him.
Granted it's not what I expect will happen, I just wouldn't be surprised.

Squire Doodad
2020-08-09, 05:37 PM
One of the much earlier strips had them lampshading the idea that any time a dungeon is left uninhabited for any period of time, monsters move into that dungeon.

Xykon could come back to his fortress on the astral plane and find it.. annoyingly inhabited by something, again.

The astral plane doesn't have as many creatures that will move in, but then again...
Actually, I imagine there are people who fix that for a living.

"Mimmoth Exterminators!"

137beth
2020-08-10, 10:51 AM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Xykon knows, but just.. doesn't care. Like, he's completely aware of all of Redcloak's plans, but knows that he at least needs redcloak for a bit, and then as soon as redcloak starts to try something, xykon will disintegrate him.
Granted it's not what I expect will happen, I just wouldn't be surprised.

Maybe Xykon has his own ritual that he's going to pull once he gets to the Gate?

Manga Shoggoth
2020-08-10, 11:15 AM
"Mimmoth Exterminators!"

Ah. I see you are not afraid to address the elephant in the room.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-08-10, 07:16 PM
The astral plane doesn't have as many creatures that will move in, but then again...
Actually, I imagine there are people who fix that for a living.

"Mimmoth Exterminators!"

Or on a more serious note, Githyanki.

Thales
2020-08-10, 07:46 PM
I think Xykon doesn't really plan on destroying the world, but he's evil enough that it's something he'd be willing to do — he's just not interested in it. Redcloak betraying Xykon is one of the few things I think could get him really mad, since on some level, I think he genuinely likes (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0462.html) Redcloak. Additionally, thanks to the events of SoD, he feels he has power over Redcloak, and so Redcloak turning the tables would be a blow to Xykon's self-conception. If he's confronted with Redcloak's betrayal in a situation where it's clear he's not going to have the leisure to soulbind Redcloak and force him to watch the extermination of the goblins or some similar revenge, I think spite would absolutely be enough to get Xykon to meteor swarm the last gate.

Metastachydium
2020-08-11, 04:35 AM
I think Xykon doesn't really plan on destroying the world, but he's evil enough that it's something he'd be willing to do — he's just not interested in it. Redcloak betraying Xykon is one of the few things I think could get him really mad, since on some level, I think he genuinely likes (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0462.html) Redcloak.

Redcloak is a useful asset, who (as far as Xykon knows) has good reasons to be loyal to him. I'm not sure Xykon is capable of actually liking anyone, and even if he is, I doubt that Redcloak's on the list.

Additionally, thanks to the events of SoD, he feels he has power over Redcloak, and so Redcloak turning the tables would be a blow to Xykon's self-conception. If he's confronted with Redcloak's betrayal in a situation where it's clear he's not going to have the leisure to soulbind Redcloak and force him to watch the extermination of the goblins or some similar revenge, I think spite would absolutely be enough to get Xykon to meteor swarm the last gate.

More like it.

faustin
2020-08-11, 09:23 AM
Redcloak betraying Xykon is one of the few things I think could get him really mad, since on some level, I think he genuinely likes[/URL] Redcloak.

Xykon forced Recloack to remain without his right eye, so everytime he looked at his reflection, he would see his brother´s face looking at him back. If you have read Start of Darkness you know how damn cruel is that as a punishment.
Xykon laughs every time someone thinks he may care about anyone except himself.

Thales
2020-08-11, 10:08 AM
Not arguing that Xykon is a cruel jackass who regularly mistreats Redcloak in very nasty ways. Nonetheless, I do think the exchange in 462 was one of the only instances (maybe the only?) in the comic of Xykon doing something genuinely nice. Given the circumstances, Xkyon probably thought that he really was about to die for real, and he chose to have his (nearly) final actions be putting him on the same team as Redcloak. This is a very low bar, and in an absolute sense, Xykon sure doesn't seem capable of actually having friends — see the eye thing as you mention. But I think that it's the relative, rather than the absolute that matters, and from Xykon's perspective, he really does consider Redcloak the closest thing he has to a friend.

TheNecrocomicon
2020-08-11, 12:00 PM
I think Xykon's fabled fortress will get used somehow, just not in the way we'd expect.

Personally, I think Xykon will retreat there at some point, after getting betrayed and/or having his phylactery destroyed eventually. But given its location on an infinite plane devoid of any other life as far as the proverbial eye can see, it strikes me as a big sitting-duck target for this Gate-control-and-moving ritual we keep hearing about with minimal to no collateral damage.

Move the Gate into the fortress, detonate the Gate and let the Snarl do its work through the rift. It would be a handy way of ensuring that Xykon is utterly unmade, rather than regenerating like he did early in the second book.