PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Harpy Barbarian Subclass advice? DnD 5E

werescythe
2020-07-17, 08:24 PM
So I have been working on a Domesticated Harpy race and with it I have been including race exclusive Feats and Subclasses. Currently I only have one for the Warlock however I have been thinking of doing on for Barbarian with the idea that the Harpy themed Barbarian Subclass uses Dex instead of Strength.

However I thought I would ask and see if anyone had any suggestions.

Here is the Domesticated Harpy gdoc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t1ed0s7HF6TZUz4rM6qvBnsRTk1oxRZb3qliINxMAaM/edit?usp=drivesdk

I will be looking forward to your feedback.

redmordred
2020-07-23, 02:35 PM
I like the amount of effort you've put into making playable Harpies. That you have so many options available is impressive (subraces, subclasses, racial feats, etc.) and is quite inspiring to see as a homebrewer.

As to making a dex-based harpy barbarian? Maybe you could improve their unarmored defense to be more like a monk since they're dex-based. Have a rage-based fly attack/buff? Canonically, harpies were originally considered (destructive) wind spirits, so maybe as they rage they can tap into their ancestral powers of wind magic? I'd recommend looking at multiple paths like Ancestral Guardian and Storm Herald for some ideas. You could also maybe integrate their song abilities into the rage to benefit party members like a Skald from PF or something similar?

werescythe
2021-05-05, 11:44 PM
I like the amount of effort you've put into making playable Harpies. That you have so many options available is impressive (subraces, subclasses, racial feats, etc.) and is quite inspiring to see as a homebrewer.

As to making a dex-based harpy barbarian? Maybe you could improve their unarmored defense to be more like a monk since they're dex-based. Have a rage-based fly attack/buff? Canonically, harpies were originally considered (destructive) wind spirits, so maybe as they rage they can tap into their ancestral powers of wind magic? I'd recommend looking at multiple paths like Ancestral Guardian and Storm Herald for some ideas. You could also maybe integrate their song abilities into the rage to benefit party members like a Skald from PF or something similar?

Thank you, I'm glad you like it. :smallsmile:

I will say with the optional rules released in TCoE, I'm not too sure that the Dex Based Barb class is necessary and I am considering perhaps taking it and splitting it into a Harpy Sorcerer and Monk class. I am also considering adding an Owl themed Harpy subrace and maybe some special magic items to work with Harpies and in some cases their masters.

CountDVB
2021-05-06, 09:12 AM
A lot of good work and fascinating stuff, but how would harpies raised in a monastery or whatnot? Would they consider their god their master?

Would a harpie Paladin have her oath be her “master”?

werescythe
2021-05-06, 10:37 PM
A lot of good work and fascinating stuff, but how would harpies raised in a monastery or whatnot? Would they consider their god their master?

Would a harpie Paladin have her oath be her “master”?

Do you mean, how might a harpy be treated in a monastery? That's a very good question. There is a part of me that is also considering the idea of created backgrounds based on whither they are a part of a monastery, owned by a master or even junk harpy (the idea being that these are harpies that reside in junkyards within the lower districts or outside of a city).